Medical Coding - Online Schools like Allied?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 178)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

1Newbie in Sacramento, California

84 months ago

Lois Byrd in Rocklin, California said: Kasier in roseville is in great demand for this. You can always get on into a different department and transfer into that department. If you are applying just for coding into that department then you need to take teh amiha test.

Lois,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and giving me advise on where to start. I really appreciate it.

1Newbie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Robin Galloway in Walla Walla, Washington

84 months ago

Big Goals in High Point, North Carolina said: I have spoken to one of the recruiters at Allied. I want to know just how great the school is. I heard about the laptop and all the extra quirks. But my main concern is do they reallty help you get a job? I am not trying to pay for something and can't use it. I have been there and done that.

Before I was even done with my schooling I had an Allied Rep boost my existing resume for a possible job opening here at my clinic. It was very impressive! She completed it in 1 hour. They are very supportive and helpful. I am almost to my final on my mtapp course and will be starting my coding classes this August. I know they will help me again soon.

Robin Galloway in Walla Walla, Washington

84 months ago

I joined the janet(job assistance program) when I signed on for the mtapp and coding program. Before I even finished the mtapp course there was a possibility for advancement so I needed my resume revamped. The Customer service dept. had no problem helping me and in less than an hour I had a professional resume completely finished. They have been very helpful with support. So far I am pleased. I will be starting my coding courses in August. I cant wait as I feel I have spent too much time with my mtapp course(my fault) but I have learned alot including how much I allready knew (been working at med office for 12 yrs) It has been a confidence booster for me and I cant wait to try other courses with allied.

2Sexy in Hattiesburg, Mississippi

84 months ago

Robin Galloway in Walla Walla, Washington said: Before I was even done with my schooling I had an Allied Rep boost my existing resume for a possible job opening here at my clinic. It was very impressive! She completed it in 1 hour. They are very supportive and helpful. I am almost to my final on my mtapp course and will be starting my coding classes this August. I know they will help me again soon.

So are you working in coding at the clinic you got the job at? I am also finishing up the Medical Terminology course and will be starting the coding portion this month. It took me a while to finish the Medical Terminology course because I was working on my Bachelor's, at a university, at the same time I was doing the Allied program. Maybe we could help each other with the coding portion. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Robin in Walla Walla Washington in Spokane, Washington

84 months ago

2Sexy in Hattiesburg, Mississippi said: So are you working in coding at the clinic you got the job at? I am also finishing up the Medical Terminology course and will be starting the coding portion this month. It took me a while to finish the Medical Terminology course because I was working on my Bachelor's, at a university, at the same time I was doing the Allied program. Maybe we could help each other with the coding portion. :)

No I decided I just didnt have anything concrete to offer them. If I'd had some classes maybe I could have tried; but decided it was too soon. Wow if u are getting a Bachelors degree are you shooting for an RHIT or RHIA?
My sister in law just finished her coding classes at the community college. She has all kinds of extra imfo for me. We wil see when I start the courses. I should be taking my MTAPP final very soon. I have allready been talking with the other coders at the clinic and getting some insights so will try to help you somehow. dont know how much help I'll be!

84 months ago

Robin in Walla Walla Washington in Spokane, Washington said: No I decided I just didnt have anything concrete to offer them. If I'd had some classes maybe I could have tried; but decided it was too soon. Wow if u are getting a Bachelors degree are you shooting for an RHIT or RHIA?
My sister in law just finished her coding classes at the community college. She has all kinds of extra imfo for me. We wil see when I start the courses. I should be taking my MTAPP final very soon. I have allready been talking with the other coders at the clinic and getting some insights so will try to help you somehow. dont know how much help I'll be!

Yeah, you probably did the right thing by not taking that job until you take the classes in coding. There is a reason why they want people with experience because they don't want people to come in and mess up stuff! LOL Yet, you could have still been training and then you would just need your certification and you would already have experience. Anyway, my degree is in another field, but I'm thinking that I could use it to take the RHIA exam. Yet, I'm not sure if we can take the certification exams with AHIMA, because we are doing the program through Allied. I think in order to take those exams with AHIMA you must a course through one of their approved schools. I'm not sure about this though. I looked on the AHIMA site, and it has a list of approved schools and most of them are community colleges or universities that have the bachelor's program in HIM.

Jay in Cherry Hill, New Jersey

83 months ago

Hello Everyone,

I've worked in the healthcare industry for many years but recently found myself out of work. I have a bachelor's degree but not in the medical field. I'm thinking about going to school for billing and coding to 1) enhance my skills and 2) be able to work from home as an option. I've narrowed my choices down to two schools. The first school has classes for 6 months and seems to have an extensive curriculum; the second school last for 8 weeks but boast to prepare students to take the CBCS (Certified Billing & Coding) exam given through the NHA and the CPC (Certified Professional Coder) through the AAPC. Do I need to know more beyond what I need to know for the national test? What should I look for in a school to ensure that I get the right training needed to be a successful billing and coder? I don't want to go to school only to find out I don't have everything I need. I would appreciate any suggestions?

LDT in Atlanta, Georgia

83 months ago

I need some assistance!! I don't know if I'm taking the right path.
I have my undergrad in Information Technology and my Master's in Health Care Administration. At this point in my life I do not feel that I'm getting anything out of any of my degrees so I'm looking for yet another Master's degree in Health Care. I'm looking at a school that offers Online courses for the Master’s program in Health Information Technology (Informatics program). With the 2nd Master’s I’m hoping that I could became RHIA or RHIT certified.

It seems like I have everything in order, right?! WRONG! I’m scared! As you can tell I appear to be a professional student… I don’t want to carry that label because I have to carry the bills with that title. Lol! So my question is.. am I going in the right direction here? Is getting my Master’s in Health Information Technology and becoming a certified RHIA or RHIT the right thing to do or is there another way OR am I going the right way but missing some things. I need help at this point because I don’t want to feel stuck with another degree that I feel is useless.

I’ve been looking on different sites to find career paths in the Health (informatics) Information Technology field… but I haven’t found a site that gives you a career path. I do see myself becoming an instructor with this degree but first I would like to be more into the informatics field before venturing into teaching. So any advice, websites, or suggestions would be helpful.

Donna D. in Carol Stream, Illinois

83 months ago

Will the online coding program @ AAPC prepare me for the certification @ AHIMA for CCS? I have a Bachelor's degree, so I'm not interested in going through an Associate's program. Do you have any recommendations? Also, It sounds as if it's pretty difficult, if not darn near impossible, to obtain a job in coding with no experience. In your experience, is that an accurate accessment of what new coding people are facing?

Michelle

83 months ago

Yes, pretty much---wouldn't recommend it if I were you. May pay well after one has been coding for a while---it's getting in, need experience, need the job to get experience......on and on........

83 months ago

Donna D. in Carol Stream, Illinois said: Will the online coding program @ AAPC prepare me for the certification @ AHIMA for CCS? I have a Bachelor's degree, so I'm not interested in going through an Associate's program. Do you have any recommendations? Also, It sounds as if it's pretty difficult, if not darn near impossible, to obtain a job in coding with no experience. In your experience, is that an accurate accessment of what new coding people are facing?

I have a degree myself, and I'm kind of reconsidering the coding field. Once you do get in, the pay is ranging from 12-15 dollars an hour. You can make more as a first year teacher without ANY experience. If you have a degree, have you thought about certifying to teach? Also, the AAPC's online program will prepare you for outpatient coding. The CCS exam will be on outpatient and inpatient coding. So you would need to be familiar with both in order to take the CCS exam with AHIMA.

Ramsey in Converse, Texas

83 months ago

Why did you do Medical coding

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lois Byrd in Rocklin, California

83 months ago

My husband work in a hospital. The pay starts out at 28 a hour. The hours are great for me. That why I decided to this. Are you looking into Ahima on line course? If so I have books I can sell you.

83 months ago

Lois Byrd in Rocklin, California said: My husband work in a hospital. The pay starts out at 28 a hour. The hours are great for me. That why I decided to this. Are you looking into Ahima on line course? If so I have books I can sell you.

You're in CA and that is considered low pay. When apartment rent is $2000-3000 dollars to stay out there. Not to mention, how much it costs to own a home out there. Yeah, the hours might be great though. That is a plus! Anyway, I'm considering nursing school now because of job availability, benefits, and better pay.

83 months ago

Ramsey in Converse, Texas said: Why did you do Medical coding

Who? Were you talking to me? Actually, I didn't do enough research on this field. If I did, I wouldn't have wasted $2000 dollars taking out a loan for Allied's coding program. I enrolled in this program while I was in college working on a degree in another field. I didn't ever have time to work on the coding classes because I was in college working on other stuff. So I've been enrolled in Allied's program for 2 years now, and I'm going to complete it this semester before nursing school starts for me. I will be enrolled in the BSN program this Spring. I could possibly work in a entry level job in coding while I'm in nursing school, if I can find a job in that area.

Melony T in West Hills, California

83 months ago

2Sexy in Hattiesburg, Mississippi said: You're in CA and that is considered low pay. When apartment rent is $2000-3000 dollars to stay out there. Not to mention, how much it costs to own a home out there. Yeah, the hours might be great though. That is a plus! Anyway, I'm considering nursing school now because of job availability, benefits, and better pay.

I rent an apartment in an affluent area that is $1100 a month. I will be buying a home for 200,000 before the end of the year. I make just over 28 an hour and have no problem with the pay. It does depend on where you are and who you work for obviously.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Choua in Thiensville, Wisconsin

83 months ago

yes, it is a legitimate school..I'm taking the course right now and they are serious about helping you find a job. They will even do your resume for you and help you through the course if you need any help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cali in Boise, Idaho

83 months ago

Has anyone taken the CCA Exam through AHIMA? I have completed my online course through Gatlin Education Services and I am about to take the AHIMA certified CCA test. I was wondering if anyone had any tips about the test.... Thanks so much!

Donna D. in Plainfield, Illinois

83 months ago

Can you actually learn one or the other, that is, billing or coding? Most information seems to imply that they are the same or at minimum closely linked. I assume you have to be familiar with coding to do billing.Are their certifying agencies for billing only?

Amber in Butler, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

I'd like to know that also because I am taking the medical billing class from Allied and I was informed when I talked to the recruter that I would be alright without it and I just took my first final out of 2 and I got a zero percent on it because I could not do the coding and now I feel I have wasted $2700

Michelle Rimmer, CHI in Brick, New Jersey

83 months ago

Hi Donna,

Billing and Coding are similar, like siblings, yet very different job duties...there are 'billing only' certifications. The Professional Medical Billers Association offeres the CPMB (Certified Professional Medical Biller) exam at www.pmbausa.com

83 months ago

Cali in Boise, Idaho said: Has anyone taken the CCA Exam through AHIMA? I have completed my online course through Gatlin Education Services and I am about to take the AHIMA certified CCA test. I was wondering if anyone had any tips about the test.... Thanks so much!

My sister-In-Law finished at community college. 4 other colleges took the cca test. 3 of the 4 passed. The one that didnt pass was the A student! We think maybe it was because she missed alot of the procedural type questons; as she had not worked in a medical envirement. Anyway if you go to the AHIMA web site there is a link that says "sample test" try it! Also you can purchase prep studies now I believe for the CCA test. I think this is new. Good Luck!

Donna D. in Plainfield, Illinois

83 months ago

it sounds as if you can do coding without any billing background, but some coding experience may be required for billing. I really would love to speak to someone well versed in both, coding and billing.

Cali in Boise, Idaho

83 months ago

Robin in Walla Walla Washington in Spokane, Washington said: My sister-In-Law finished at community college. 4 other colleges took the cca test. 3 of the 4 passed. The one that didnt pass was the A student! We think maybe it was because she missed alot of the procedural type questons; as she had not worked in a medical envirement. Anyway if you go to the AHIMA web site there is a link that says "sample test" try it! Also you can purchase prep studies now I believe for the CCA test. I think this is new. Good Luck!

Thank you so much Robin. I'm going to take the test this Friday. If anyone would like I can post an update on what the AHIMA certified CCA Exam is like.

Thanks again Robin!

Melony in West Hills, California

83 months ago

Cali in Boise, Idaho said: Has anyone taken the CCA Exam through AHIMA? I have completed my online course through Gatlin Education Services and I am about to take the AHIMA certified CCA test. I was wondering if anyone had any tips about the test.... Thanks so much!

Hi Cali,
I was planning on taking the same course. How diffucult was it for you? Unfortunately I dont know anyone who has taken the CCA.

Mary in Kelso, Washington

82 months ago

I am thinking about taking a the Billing Course from Allied. But from what I have read you really need the Coding class so do you sugguest both or just the coding?

mitch in Waco, Texas

82 months ago

hi i have finished the medical coding course, but i am not sure where to startlooking for a job.

Mary in Kelso, Washington

82 months ago

Hi! Did you take the codeing class through Allied? I was looking into the billing course but read on some of the posts that the test is hard because it has coding questions that are difficult. How hard was the Coding test? We just relocated to Wa. If you check hospital on line jobs I think you will find coding jobs. There seemed to be alot in my home state.

darkone in Kalispell, Montana

82 months ago

What's the name of the school where you teach? I'm looking for an online school for cpc?

Ginger in Piqua, Ohio

82 months ago

I am just getting ready to start the medical coding and billing coure through Allied and I am starting to wonder if I made the wrong choice by doing this. It sounds as if it is very hard to find a job with any experience. Anyone have any suggestions?

Donna D. in Bolingbrook, Illinois

82 months ago

I'm getting ready to take AHIMA's Anatomy and Physiology course as it is a prerequisite foe Basic Coding. I spoke with an AHIMA person on the phone and it was recommended that one spend roughly 8 hours of studying per course per week. Anyone that has done the coding program, approximately how long did it take you to complete the program? I know they allow 15 weeks per module. Did anyone take time off in between the modules? Did you work or were you in school during this period? I'm a stay at home mom trying to figure out the time thing. Also, do you need a proctor for every exam? Several opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Eve227 in Haines City, Florida

81 months ago

I need some advise from the experienced coders on this site. I am currently attending an AHIMA approved University for a an A.S. degree in HIT. My graduation date is May 2010. I have taken the following course work, Medical Terminology & Pharmacology, Computer Applications. I am interested in a position as a Cancer Registrar and see that AHIMA will allow me to take the test early. I am trying to get my "foot" in the door in an entry level position at the local hospital as the requirements for most of the coding positions are two years on the job experience. Any advise on how I should proceed would be appreciated as I am concerned about not being able to secure employment when I graduate.

Kenny R. in Toledo, Ohio

80 months ago

I have read all of the comments that have been posted here thus far and I don't think that I have seen any comments posted by a man. What is the percentage of men who work in the medical coding field?
I am interested in pursuing medical coding as a "second career" I have also talked to a rep. from Allied School in Laguna Hills Ca. Is this the same Allied School that is being named in this forum? Thanks.

80 months ago

Hi, I work at a hospital & Clinic for the ROI dept on contract to copy/scan med recs. I have finished the MTAPP course thru ALlied & am now into my coding courses. Can anyone tell me if MedAssurant would consider my job expierience adequeate to be hired once I have finished my coding course? Of course I will still try to get certified. I actually copy for MedAssurant & other Medicare audit company's. I believe we will be seeing alot more of these types of comp. as they are going to want to "recoup" their money, with the way economy is going. If anyone knows more about the requirements for outsource coding and what is adequeate/demanded I would value your input. Thankyou RG.

Dboyz in Youngstown, Ohio

77 months ago

Okay all, I am confused after reading you guys...lol. I am a junior at a regular university. I will be getting certified in EKG, Holter Monitoring, Stress testing, and vitals( Its a CCT ). My externship will be at a sleep lab, cause I like to do nights! However, my question is, I want to get into medical billing. What tests should I take and check to see if a school is accredited online? I hear you guys talk cca, and how bad that is. So what exactly should I be doing? I like nights, in particular 9 p.m to 7 a.m or 10 p.m-6 a.m. Can billers work this late? So, basically, I would be focusing on hospital setting, if am not correct pls correct me. I also have owned a business at 17( not anymore ). Plus, I am currently helping in coordinating a rib burn off and a health fair, so I will get to know some doctors and pharm reps. I didnt know what I should really do though, coding or billing? Secondly what should I be looking for. If you can answer any of the questions that would be great. Thanks....Also, I am looking to go online.I am in my young 20s!

OMP in Skokie, Illinois

77 months ago

I just had to comment on the people who were thinking of choosing Allied partly because they got a free laptop--don't do it! Take a course that is recognized by AHIMA. I listened to all the comments of the experienced coders on this forum and enrolled in the online distance education coding course offered by AHIMA. It's $2500, but does anyone want to admit that they went through a program that cost $89?

Also, I'm pretty sure you can write off the cost of a laptop on your taxes if it's used for online schooling. Why get suckered in by the offer of a free laptop?

In addition, when schools say that they offer job placement assistance, it can mean as little as giving you the phone numbers of some places to call. A better indicator would be their job placement percentage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marie from WA in Washington

77 months ago

To Sexy in Hattiesburg, Mississippi: I just want to ask you some questions - how are the courses in allied school? what about the materials? Does your program includes setting up a business for coding or whatever program you are into? I am interested in the medical billing program, and so far i find the curriculum of Allied better, and price more realistic.
appreciate your response.

Marie from WA in Washington

77 months ago

Robin Galloway in Walla Walla, Washington said: Before I was even done with my schooling I had an Allied Rep boost my existing resume for a possible job opening here at my clinic. It was very impressive! She completed it in 1 hour. They are very supportive and helpful. I am almost to my final on my mtapp course and will be starting my coding classes this August. I know they will help me again soon.

Robin, did you apply for medical billing and coding course as a combined program or did you separately enrolled on it? Does medical billing gave you knowledge on setting up medical billing business from home? how is you overall experience on the course so far?

juliehlee in walnut, California

75 months ago

excellent school! That is all I can say about Allied.

www.medicalcodingcourses.com/

Kris Leitz in Sarasota, Florida

75 months ago

I think it is important that if you are looking into medical coding as a career you do a lot of research and figure out what you want out of your career.

Do you want to work in a hospital, doing inpatient and outpatient coding? Then definitely look into AHIMA (www.ahima.org). If you want to do medical coding by itself, look at AHIMA's own Coding Basics course. If you've gone to college and have taken some of the prereqs, they will give you credit. Also, while the whole coding program can be $2000+, it is not an all at once cost. You can either take a course at a time ($225) or a cluster of 3 classes at a time ($550). There are a total of 4 clusters but if you have classes that transfer over, you can lessen that. Plus it is all online. AHIMA also has a list of coding schools.

Now if you want to go further in the HIM field and get your RHIT or RHIA, make sure to go to the AHIMA website to find a school (CAHIM approved). Just because you have a Associates degree or Bachelors degree will not mean that you are eligible for taking the RHIT/RHIA certification exam. These programs are very specific in HIM studies.

If you want to work strictly outpatient through a physician's office, the AAPC is a great organization to go through.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Eric Carras in Westborough, Massachusetts

75 months ago

Melony T. in West Hills, California said: David,
Not trying to be stuck up or anything, but I would be hesitant to pay for a course when the adress has "personalized" misspelled.

I agree about the site but correct you but the address with 'Personalized' is spelled correctly, but agree that the site is not very professional. I may be wrong; it might be legit but the low price and the lack of accreditation should alarm anyone of the strong possibility of something 'fishy'. The old saying 'if it is too good to be true - it probably is'.

Reese in Lebanon, Ohio

75 months ago

Help, please!
I am 40 years old and I do not have a college degree or any medical experience. I am being eliminated from my present position after 11 years in the data entry field and would like to change direction.
I am considering taking the AHIMA coding program online.
I guess I would like a totally honest answer as to whether at my age and without a medical background, if after taking this course it's likely that I would find employment in the coding field?
I can't afford to waste time or money, so I would really appreciate brutal honesty!
Thank You!

75 months ago

Reese in Lebanon, Ohio said: Help, please!
I am 40 years old and I do not have a college degree or any medical experience. I am being eliminated from my present position after 11 years in the data entry field and would like to change direction.
I am considering taking the AHIMA coding program online.
I guess I would like a totally honest answer as to whether at my age and without a medical background, if after taking this course it's likely that I would find employment in the coding field?
I can't afford to waste time or money, so I would really appreciate brutal honesty!
Thank You!

Hi Reese,

What I would suggest if time is an issue is to get some kind of job in the medical field while you are doing the AHIMA course (I'm starting that very shortly). It is not going to be easy, and I'm sure that as you've read, there are many who have gone to school and still searching for work because of their lack of experience. It is that lack of medical background that is going to give you the most difficulty. Maybe you can look for something as a medical receptionist where you are greeting pts as they come in to the medical office. Why do you want to go into medical coding? It is much more than just data entry and requires a very strong medical background - knowledge of anatomy and physiology, pathology, pharmacology, etc.

Kris

Reese in Lebanon, Ohio

75 months ago

Kris Leitz in Sarasota, Florida said: Hi Reese,

What I would suggest if time is an issue is to get some kind of job in the medical field while you are doing the AHIMA course (I'm starting that very shortly). It is not going to be easy, and I'm sure that as you've read, there are many who have gone to school and still searching for work because of their lack of experience. It is that lack of medical background that is going to give you the most difficulty. Maybe you can look for something as a medical receptionist where you are greeting pts as they come in to the medical office. Why do you want to go into medical coding? It is much more than just data entry and requires a very strong medical background - knowledge of anatomy and physiology, pathology, pharmacology, etc.

Kris

Kris,
The idea I had was to try and find something part time in the medical environment while going to school and medical receptionist was something I was considering.
I realize that coding is much more than data entry and that is part of why I was considering it. I want something more challenging and the medical field has always been an interest to me, but not in the clinical sense.
I am a very detailed oriented person and I really enjoy independent working.
I am taking a medical terminology class online right now that is through our county career center.
I guess what is important to me is to find something that will be secure, offer good benefits and have different opportunities.
There are quite a few hospitals, insurance companies and alot of medical practices in the Cincinnati area and I thought the medical field would be a good area to enter.
I am single, so I just want to make sure that using my savings to attend a program and work part time for a year will pay off in the end.
So I really do appreciate any advice or suggestions!
Thanks!

75 months ago

That's great, Reese! What I would do is to contact some temp agencies that specialize in medical office placement. Let them know what you are working towards, and that you are looking for entry level positions.

I, too, am going to do the AHIMA basic coding course. I'm just waiting for them to process my payment and hopefully I can start my first class by the end of the week. I'm also going to make sure to become a student member...there are a lot of good resource including a mentorship program. Maybe you might meet a mentor in your area, and who knows what kinds of doors that can open.

Chel

75 months ago

Don't waste your time and money on this "career". Only if you have work experience in this field and want to get a diploma/certificate and then get your cca/ccs/ccs-p it is a good thing. But even then you will probably have a hard time getting a job. Everyone wants you to have 2-5years experience, not including school, but you can't get the experience you need because you can't get hired.I have put in over 800 online/fax applications and not 1 person has called me! I'm now applying for customer service positions but since i went to school and graduated from the medical billing and coding program they question as to why i am applying for a customer service position.

I'm going back to school and entering an LVN program or an MA program if i can't get into the LVN program. Yes, it is costly but at least i know i will have a darn job. :)

Good Luck.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Reese in Lebanon, Ohio

75 months ago

Kris Leitz in Sarasota, Florida said: That's great, Reese! What I would do is to contact some temp agencies that specialize in medical office placement. Let them know what you are working towards, and that you are looking for entry level positions.

I, too, am going to do the AHIMA basic coding course. I'm just waiting for them to process my payment and hopefully I can start my first class by the end of the week. I'm also going to make sure to become a student member...there are a lot of good resource including a mentorship program. Maybe you might meet a mentor in your area, and who knows what kinds of doors that can open.

Thank You, that's a good idea to contact an agency. My company is also providing services with a placement company as part of our severance, so I plan on meeting with them and explaining my plans.
I wish you luck with your program!

Reese in Lebanon, Ohio

75 months ago

Chel said: Don't waste your time and money on this "career". Only if you have work experience in this field and want to get a diploma/certificate and then get your cca/ccs/ccs-p it is a good thing. But even then you will probably have a hard time getting a job. Everyone wants you to have 2-5years experience, not including school, but you can't get the experience you need because you can't get hired.I have put in over 800 online/fax applications and not 1 person has called me! I'm now applying for customer service positions but since i went to school and graduated from the medical billing and coding program they question as to why i am applying for a customer service position.

I'm going back to school and entering an LVN program or an MA program if i can't get into the LVN program. Yes, it is costly but at least i know i will have a darn job. :)

Good Luck.....

Oh gosh, I'm sorry to hear that. That's what I'm worried about, coming out the other end and not being able to find a job.
I guess there is alot to consider.
Good luck to you!

Melony in Lancaster, California

75 months ago

The site was misspelled at the time I posted this message last year. I actually contacted them and informed them of the mistake and it was corrected, but thanks for pointing that out.

eel in Buffalo, New York

75 months ago

Nicole in Dublin, California said: Hi 2Sexy,

I do have a four year degree from a state university, in a totally unrelated field though. However it looks like if I wanted to get an Associates degree, it would require alot of the general ed classes that I probably already have. So that's one reason I too am just looking at a certificate for now..

I talked to an admissions rep at Heald who told me I would be able to take alot less classes in their program due to my 4 year degree.

Right now I'm trying to decide between the online certificate program through the continuing ed program at my former college (Cal State East Bay), Heald College (but $$$ and is not online), or Allied.

What course at Allied are you taking? Are you taking the Medical Coding program? Or the Medical Administrative Assistant course?

I currently have a bachelors in healthcare administration, and a mba. i am also a CPC and CMRS. I have recently decided that I wanted to sit for the RHIT examination and therefore had to enroll in an Associate's program in Health Information Technology. Given my previous educational background, a program that is designed to run for 2 years will take me less than a year because i have all of my geneds completed.
Also, each degree, whether it be associates or masters provides a skill set to an individual. i currently hold a MBA and am not ashamed to go back to school to get an associates, nor do i think it is worthless.... so holding a bachelors degree shouldnt make anyone feel the same way... in fact when i am done with my associates degree in HIT i will be moving forward with a bachelors in the same field.
not to mitigate certification programs, but honestly they are a dime a dozen. if you are going to pay the money (often times they are not cheap) you might as well walk out of the deal with an education AND a credential. the way the coding world is these days, a RHIT is almost a requirement to keep current with the job market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.