NEED ADVICE ON PREPARING RHIA EXAM

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 490)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Sophia 5 in Atlanta, Georgia

55 months ago

I graduated 4 years ago and I just found the importance in getting my RHIA.I took the exam already a did not pass. Im not sure what I can do to pass this exam alot of the stuff on the test was stuff that I vaguely remember but just not to sure about and also a few things have changed. I used the PRG but I still failed.Is there any such thing a preparation class to get you ready to take the RHIA EXAM or should I give up not sure on what to do anymore

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Cel in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

Hi Sophia,

I'm sorry to hear that but I don't believe you should give up. I'm taking my RHIA exam on 1/22/2010. I just started studying and I'm already overwhelmed. But I have talked to a few people that have taken the exam previously and i believe they too used the PRG guide to study and found it to be extremely helpful;However, I have heard the exam has changed. Thus, if you want to take a review course, you can find additional information regarding the course on AHIMA.org.

However, I have a question does anyone know if there is much difference between the 2008 and 2009 PRG guide? If so, should I purchase the 2009 edition? And would that better prepare me for the exam?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

celia lam in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

54 months ago

Hi Sophia,

I just received my test results and PASSED. And I took Joyce's advise and got my a hold of the 2009 PRG CD. I did not purchase the book but was able to get the CD online. The CD was all I used. And I passed!!! Thus, I feel you shouldn't give up. Just use the CD. I feel like those questions will prepare u for the exam. They are similar but yet much more diffcult. However, If you can grasp the questions on the CD you should be fine. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Deemar in Lafayette, California

51 months ago

Can we take the RHIA exam after we finished the 2 yr HIT program? RHIA is different than RHIT, correct?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

coding student in Franklin, Ohio

51 months ago

Deemar in Lafayette, California said: Can we take the RHIA exam after we finished the 2 yr HIT program? RHIA is different than RHIT, correct?

If you completed a CAHIIM accredited 2 year HIT program you will take the RHIT exam. RHIA is a bachelors degree program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sherry in Memphis, Tennessee

49 months ago

Sophia 5 in Atlanta, Georgia said: I graduated 4 years ago and I just found the importance in getting my RHIA.I took the exam already a did not pass. Im not sure what I can do to pass this exam alot of the stuff on the test was stuff that I vaguely remember but just not to sure about and also a few things have changed. I used the PRG but I still failed.Is there any such thing a preparation class to get you ready to take the RHIA EXAM or should I give up not sure on what to do anymore

No Sophia, don't give up! I just took the RHIA exam today and barely passed with a score of 311 (passing score 300 out of 400). It is a killer exam...this was my second time taking it since 1994. I had actually retired my credentials and was just doing medical transcriptionist full-time from home and decided now I want to go back to work in my field since my kids are in high school. I will never do that again. LOL! However, I used the JB Review Guide and Mo-Metrix.com flash cards and guides...and with all of that it was STILL a lot I didn't know but I just used common sense. I am just glad it is over. But PLEASE GET YOUR CREDENTIALS BECAUSE YOU ARE INVISIBLE TO THE HIM PROFESSION WITHOUT THEM. Now, that I have my credentials my friends (colleagues) who have been active in the field are already networking to find me a job. Your credentials are crucial to your success. I know this is a late post but I hope it helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

jennifer in Long Beach, California

48 months ago

Yes please dont give up! It is very important to get your credentials! I graduated in 2008 and used just the PRG to study. I didnt pass the first time using that book but it was mainly because I didnt study plus you cant really study test questions. You have to review the information in order to pass. So my college professor told me about the RHIA JB Review Guide by JB Publishers or visit www.jbpub.com. I bought this book, studied it and took my test and PASSED! Honestly this book is all you need to study! It is a good review guide especially for you since it has been a while. I really recommend this book! Goodluck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sherry in Memphis, Tennessee

48 months ago

jennifer in Long Beach, California said: Yes please dont give up! It is very important to get your credentials! I graduated in 2008 and used just the PRG to study. I didnt pass the first time using that book but it was mainly because I didnt study plus you cant really study test questions. You have to review the information in order to pass. So my college professor told me about the RHIA JB Review Guide by JB Publishers or visit www.jbpub.com . I bought this book, studied it and took my test and PASSED! Honestly this book is all you need to study! It is a good review guide especially for you since it has been a while. I really recommend this book! Goodluck!

Congratulations, Jennifer! Welcome to the profession! Don't ever lose those credentials, LOL!!! It has been a nightmare for me. But they are indeed magical. As of now, I am being considered for three positions - two in management and one as a remote coder, all positions which require the RHIA (or at least RHIT or CCS) credentials.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jennifer in Long Beach, California

48 months ago

Thanks! I definitely will not let those creddentials go. I really want to get into coding but I have no experience with that and do not know how to get a job which will give me experience with that. I want to study for the CCS but feel that if i take it and pass I will still have a difficult time finding a job as a coder since i have no experience. Do you have any suggestions going about it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sherry in Memphis, Tennessee

48 months ago

Coding is hard to break into. Are you already working in HIM? If not, see if you can go in ROI (release of information) or chart analysis or something like that just to get your foot in the door. After about a year you should be able to apply for a coding position within the facility since you already have your RHIA. The job I am contemplating is for a remote coding position from home. I took the coding test and passed it on this past Saturday. It was 20 questions and you could only miss 3 to make an 85 and that was my score 85...BUT I have NOT CODED since 1995 so as long as you keep up on the coding rules you will do well and this company does not seem to mind that it has been so long because I have my credentials. They are willing to take me through a coding training program (probably all new hires). But in a nutshell, just get into the HIM department and talk to your manager and see if they would be willing to train you in-house because it is doable. Hope this helps. Keep me updated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jennifer in Long Beach, California

48 months ago

No im not in the medical records dept but I will definitely try your suggestion. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sherry in Memphis, Tennessee

48 months ago

Hey Jennifer, sorry for the delay. I did not take the coding position. Instead I am back in management. I was offered the job as Director of Medical Records at a psych hospital and believe me when I say I am GRATEFUL that they took a chance on me after that long gap from being out of HIM and mgmt. They also offered me a pretty attractive salary and that is the good news about our professions - salaries are on the rise and HIM is in demand now...I start my new job on Monday. The department is small. I will be managing a full-time coder and full-time clerk and two PRN clerks. What I would suggest you do is look on indeed.com for jobs in your area (type in health information or medical records for key words) and if you can afford to take anything HIM even if it is part-time. ALSO, join your local HIM organization other than AHIMA. Here in Memphis ours is MemphisHIMA so you can network with other HIM professionals and managers and see who is hiring. I know you worked hard to get those credentials so there is no need to sit on them. If you have any questions for me you can email me directly at sherryquest@gmail.com. Good Luck and Don't Give UP!! HIM is booming now...and we are finally being paid what we are worth (or close to it)....LOL!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lennixe in Longwood, Florida

47 months ago

Has anyone used the Shaw exam prep published by AHIMA? I figured it will be the best one to use since it is published by AHIMA and they make the exam. The studying is going pretty well so far. I try to study at least 2-3 hours everyday, since I read somewhere that repetitive studying is the key to passing. I take the exam this Saturday 8/7/10.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Meghan in Hillsborough, New Jersey

47 months ago

Hi, I'm using the 2008 PRG book and have been studying for a while now. But I am still really scared because I have just been studying questions alone. I feel like studying questions alone does not help you retain much. Is this really helpful? Has anyone passed using the 2008 PRG book??? Thank you..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Meghan in Hillsborough, New Jersey

47 months ago

Hi, I'm using the 2008 PRG book and have been studying for a while now. But I am still really scared because I have just been studying questions alone. I feel like studying questions alone does not help you retain much. Is this really helpful? Has anyone passed using the 2008 PRG book??? Thank you..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cp122578 in Meridian, Mississippi

46 months ago

Meghan in Hillsborough, New Jersey said: Hi, I'm using the 2008 PRG book and have been studying for a while now. But I am still really scared because I have just been studying questions alone. I feel like studying questions alone does not help you retain much. Is this really helpful? Has anyone passed using the 2008 PRG book??? Thank you..

You might want to check out the discussion on the AHIMA facebook page. Several people have said they passed using the 2008 PRG. I am using the 2010 PRG, but I also have the 2008. Has anyone used the 2010 PRG?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Regina_W in Coldwater, Mississippi

43 months ago

lennixe in Longwood, Florida said: Has anyone used the Shaw exam prep published by AHIMA? I figured it will be the best one to use since it is published by AHIMA and they make the exam. The studying is going pretty well so far. I try to study at least 2-3 hours everyday, since I read somewhere that repetitive studying is the key to passing. I take the exam this Saturday 8/7/10.

I also purchased the Registered Health Information Administrator by Shaw, and now I am in the process of studying for the RHIA exam.

I graduated in 2008 with a BS in Health Information Management, and I never thought I would have a hard time finding a job in this field. I soon realized that many companies were looking for applicants with certifications or experience. I had neither. When I pass the RHIA exam, I hope that it will begin opening doors for me.

Did you pass the exam? Was the book helpful?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lennixe in Alpharetta, Georgia

43 months ago

I did pass the exam! I also think the book was very helpful, and also I didn't wait too long after graduation to take the exam (I graduated in May 2010). I would advice you to take the practice exams in the book, especially using the CD that comes with it, since it simulates an actual RHIA exam. Then, make note of the questions you missed and go back to review those questions. Hope this helps!

I'm luck I was able to find a job a few months ago, especially since I had no HIM work experience except for my internships. I had to relocate, but I didn't mind. NETWORKING is key!!! Join your local or state HIM orgs. Most times, its about who you know and not what you know --- sounds cliche, but it's very true and I found that out during my job search. Good luck with the exam and job search!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Regina_W in Coldwater, Mississippi

43 months ago

Congratulations! I wish I would have taken my exam shortly after graduation. I totally agree that it is all about who you know & not what you know. Thank you so much for the advice & thanks for wishing me good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cp122578 in Meridian, Mississippi

42 months ago

I don't know if any of you are still studying for the exam, but I just passed with a 390 out of 400 score. I did not get the J B Review until about a month before I took the exam, and I wish I had gotten it sooner. I recommend that book and the PRG. I am not to keen on the Shaw book. I have it, but I don't think it was a helpful as the others. The JB review is a review of the subjects, and it also has some tests, but it is not just test like the others. If you just use the PRG, pay attention to all of the available answers (the detractors) because even though there might not be a question on each of them in the PRG, you may see them on the real test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sherry in Memphis, Tennessee

42 months ago

cp122578 in Meridian, Mississippi said: I don't know if any of you are still studying for the exam, but I just passed with a 390 out of 400 score. I did not get the J B Review until about a month before I took the exam, and I wish I had gotten it sooner. I recommend that book and the PRG. I am not to keen on the Shaw book. I have it, but I don't think it was a helpful as the others. The JB review is a review of the subjects, and it also has some tests, but it is not just test like the others. If you just use the PRG, pay attention to all of the available answers (the detractors) because even though there might not be a question on each of them in the PRG, you may see them on the real test.

@CP122578, That is DAMN good!!! What a score! Congrats and welcome to the profession. I am sure many doors will open for you if not already!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cp122578 in Meridian, Mississippi

42 months ago

Thanks Sherry, Actually I am not working yet. I graduated in August, and I have not even looked for a job yet. I plan to start looking in the Spring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nadege in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

41 months ago

Regina_W in Coldwater, Mississippi said: I also purchased the Registered Health Information Administrator by Shaw, and now I am in the process of studying for the RHIA exam.

I graduated in 2008 with a BS in Health Information Management, and I never thought I would have a hard time finding a job in this field. I soon realized that many companies were looking for applicants with certifications or experience. I had neither. When I pass the RHIA exam, I hope that it will begin opening doors for me.

Did you pass the exam? Was the book helpful?

it is hard to find a job in HIM field.. when are u going to take the exam? I plan to take it just to challenge myself...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

cp122578 in Meridian, Mississippi

41 months ago

Nadege,

I think it depends on where you live whether it is hard to get a job. I am just now putting out a few resumes, but in MS where Regina and I live, there are 3 HIT programs, and 1 HIA program in this small rural state. The market is kind of flooded here, and I hear they are trying to start another school even though we already have more than most states our size. I hear the state has also funded too many radiology tech schools too, and those students can't find even a part time job when they get out. Having too many schools also hurts salaries, so the MS state education department needs to pull back on starting up another school until Obama care goes through (if it goes through). I see a lot of ads for Florida though, and I would love to move there (if I can get my husband to move). I hear it is a good time to buy a house down there, but another 20% drop in real estate may be expected down there, so maybe it is not a good timd.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cp122578 in Meridian, Mississippi

41 months ago

Sherry in Memphis, Tennessee said: @CP122578, That is DAMN good!!! What a score! Congrats and welcome to the profession. I am sure many doors will open for you if not already!!!

Sherry,

Thanks for the networking tips. Speaking of which, if you of hear of anything in Mississippi or the surronding states that would be good, please let me know. I could also use a little advise on putting together my resume. I have never put together a resume before because I am retired from MawBell, but I was not ready to quit work because I am too young and I want to do something I enjoy. I am a second generation HIM Professional, so I grew up getting "volunteered" in my mother's HIM Department(especially close to time for TJC visits. lol), but that is my only experience in HIM and that was a long time ago. My last job was network analysis specialist, which does not really equate to many skills in HIM. I see that most analyst jobs are asking for RNs, so any advice on the type job I should look for? Also, should I include my test score, since I did so well on the test (390 out of 400 and 100% on the Management Domain), or would that be looked at like I am bragging?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Regina_W in Forest, Mississippi

41 months ago

Nadege in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: it is hard to find a job in HIM field.. when are u going to take the exam? I plan to take it just to challenge myself...

Nadege,

I plan to take the exam at the end of this month. I really hope I pass the test. After I pass the test, my next challenge is to find a job. Since I do not have my RHIA certification, I have applied for HIM Clerk positions. I am willing to start at the bottom and work my way up. Employers want applicants to have experience, but how am I ever gonna gain any experience if they do give me a chance to prove myself? Go figure. I'm just frustrated. Since I live in Coldwater, MS, I apply for jobs that are in Memphis, TN. I don't see many open HIM positions in Memphis, TN. If I have to move to another state to find a job, then I will.

I like the RHIA exam preparation book (Shaw), but I won't be able to say if it's helpful until I take the test. I hope it will be helpful. The book does have 2 practice exams and a mock exam. I also purchased the JB Review Comprehensive Review Guide for Health Information RHIA & RHIT Exam Prep book. This book is a must!

I hope you pass your exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Regina_W in Coldwater, Mississippi

41 months ago

I live in Coldwater, MS. The posting says that I live in Forest, MS. I responded to the posting without signing in first, and the location was Forest, MS. I've never heard of Forest, MS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lennixe in Atlanta, Georgia

41 months ago

cp122578 in Meridian, Mississippi said: Sherry,

Thanks for the networking tips. Speaking of which, if you of hear of anything in Mississippi or the surronding states that would be good, please let me know. I could also use a little advise on putting together my resume. I have never put together a resume before because I am retired from MawBell, but I was not ready to quit work because I am too young and I want to do something I enjoy. I am a second generation HIM Professional, so I grew up getting "volunteered" in my mother's HIM Department(especially close to time for TJC visits. lol), but that is my only experience in HIM and that was a long time ago. My last job was network analysis specialist, which does not really equate to many skills in HIM. I see that most analyst jobs are asking for RNs, so any advice on the type job I should look for? Also, should I include my test score, since I did so well on the test (390 out of 400 and 100% on the Management Domain), or would that be looked at like I am bragging?

Here is an email I received a few days ago:

"I'm reaching out to you because of your healthcare industry experience. I was wondering if you could help me with a search. I am looking for candidates for two Director, HIM job opportunities that I have available with stable and well established hospitals in southern MS and middle TN. Would you know someone who may have interest or who is seeking employment? Or, do you have any advice/opinions on how best to locate people for this? Groups? Blogs?
If in the future you need assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.

Thanks,
Kevin Cullen
Healthcare Recruiter | SBR
kcullen@thinkingahead.com

I think you should contact him for assistance with your job search. As far as your resume, I would check careerbuilder or monster as they have good resume tips. You can also contact a head-hunter in your area for assistance and try temp agencies. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nadege in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

41 months ago

Regina,

Good luck .. please let me know how it went..After I graduated with my BS in HIM.. I couldn't find a job then when i did they wanted to pay $10.. No wayyyyyyyyyy Sorry.. Now I changed my field I'm going to do my master in OT..But I still wanna take the RHIA exam

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cp122578 in Meridian, Mississippi

41 months ago

Nadege in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Regina,

Good luck .. please let me know how it went..After I graduated with my BS in HIM.. I couldn't find a job then when i did they wanted to pay $10.. No wayyyyyyyyyy Sorry.. Now I changed my field I'm going to do my master in OT..But I still wanna take the RHIA exam

I am wondering if I should get my master's degree in something else also, but was leaning toward IT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jenni1109 in Long Beach, California

41 months ago

I have a BS in HIM and credentialed RHIA. Cant find a job at all..it's so hard and frustrating! Ive been on sooo many interviews and even called back for 2nd interviews without any success. I am now going back to school and getting my Masters in Nursing. It seems like Nursing will lessen out the competition thats out there. I have a friend that has a friend that got her Masters in IT and she said she couldnt find a job for a year so she decided to go back to school for a Masters in Social Work. IT companies are always looking for those with lots of experience. Sucks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nadege in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

41 months ago

jenni1109 in Long Beach, California said: I have a BS in HIM and credentialed RHIA. Cant find a job at all..it's so hard and frustrating! Ive been on sooo many interviews and even called back for 2nd interviews without any success. I am now going back to school and getting my Masters in Nursing. It seems like Nursing will lessen out the competition thats out there. I have a friend that has a friend that got her Masters in IT and she said she couldnt find a job for a year so she decided to go back to school for a Masters in Social Work. IT companies are always looking for those with lots of experience. Sucks!!

I feel u.This is really suck Jenni..That would definitely be a great idea to get a degree in nursing... doors will be opened. I changed my career and now going for occupational therapist..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dee in Los Gatos, California

41 months ago

Omg! This is so discouraging but honest. It makes me really think wether I still want to continue this. Nursing or maybe a PA??!! I'm too old for this :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nadege in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

41 months ago

Dee in Los Gatos, California said: Omg! This is so discouraging but honest. It makes me really think wether I still want to continue this. Nursing or maybe a PA??!! I'm too old for this :(

u never old to do something.. go for it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Celia in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

41 months ago

Hi everyone,
I graduated in May of 2009 with my BS in HIM, and was fortunate enough to find a job within a month following graduation. However, I started to apply to various positions the March prior to graduation. Thus, I feel that it may be beneficial for anyone who is getting ready to graduate to do so, as it gave me an advantage in searching for a job. Additionally, I think for everyone who’s also going further to obtain another degree in Nursing or Occupational Therapy (OT) is definitely a great idea, and it will open many more opportunities for you. I’m also currently in a master program for OT. I will be done this December so I’m excited about that. Lastly for everyone who’s getting ready to get the RHIA, I just used the CD from the PRG Review Guide for 2009 and passed the exam. So you guys might want to try to use that. I wish everyone luck !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

nad in Miami, Florida

41 months ago

Celia in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Hi everyone,
I graduated in May of 2009 with my BS in HIM, and was fortunate enough to find a job within a month following graduation. However, I started to apply to various positions the March prior to graduation. Thus, I feel that it may be beneficial for anyone who is getting ready to graduate to do so, as it gave me an advantage in searching for a job. Additionally, I think for everyone who’s also going further to obtain another degree in Nursing or Occupational Therapy (OT) is definitely a great idea, and it will open many more opportunities for you. I’m also currently in a master program for OT. I will be done this December so I’m excited about that. Lastly for everyone who’s getting ready to get the RHIA, I just used the CD from the PRG Review Guide for 2009 and passed the exam. So you guys might want to try to use that. I wish everyone luck !

hey Celia,
Thanks...when did you start the master program in OT?.. Do you still have the PRG book?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Celia in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

41 months ago

Hi Nad,

I started the OT program August of 2009. As for the PRG book, I actually never bought the book. I borrowed the CD from my former classmate. I just reviewed the questions a few days prior to taking the exam and did fairly well. Also the PRG Book is updated on a annual bases so you may want to purchase the most current one for studying. Try Ebay you maybe able to purchase the just the CD. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nad in Miami, Florida

41 months ago

Celia in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Hi Nad,

I started the OT program August of 2009. As for the PRG book, I actually never bought the book. I borrowed the CD from my former classmate. I just reviewed the questions a few days prior to taking the exam and did fairly well. Also the PRG Book is updated on a annual bases so you may want to purchase the most current one for studying. Try Ebay you maybe able to purchase the just the CD. Good luck!

Ok I will.. I thought you would be graduated in 2012.. So How do i like the program so far...which school do you go? (is it private or public) I'm going to barry university in Fall 2011 weekends program

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Celia in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

41 months ago

I go to Philadelphia University, its private I believe but I’m not sure.... And there are two graduation oppositions one in December of 2011 and the other is May of 2012. It depends on which fieldwork placement you get placed in at my school. I was placed in the first option, so I head out on level 2 fieldwork this June and finish in December. My program is also a full time program that takes place during the weekends. I work fulltime so…. going to school fulltime is a bit overwhelming; however, I’m really lucky my job is extremely flexible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Regina_W in Coldwater, Mississippi

41 months ago

Nadege in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Regina,

Good luck .. please let me know how it went..After I graduated with my BS in HIM.. I couldn't find a job then when i did they wanted to pay $10.. No wayyyyyyyyyy Sorry.. Now I changed my field I'm going to do my master in OT..But I still wanna take the RHIA exam

Thanks for wishing me good luck on the exam. When I first went to college, I majored in Pre-OT. I changed my major because I wasn't interested in direct patient care. If I had become an Occupational Therapist, then I would have a good paying job now. But, I don't think I would be happy. I'm so tired of being unemployed and searching for a job. I think you should take the RHIA exam. What do you have to lose? Good luck with school!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nadege in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

41 months ago

Regina_W in Coldwater, Mississippi said: Thanks for wishing me good luck on the exam. When I first went to college, I majored in Pre-OT. I changed my major because I wasn't interested in direct patient care. If I had become an Occupational Therapist, then I would have a good paying job now. But, I don't think I would be happy. I'm so tired of being unemployed and searching for a job. I think you should take the RHIA exam. What do you have to lose? Good luck with school!!

hopefully, u find one after u registered as RHIA...i'm going to take it for sure

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sherry in Memphis, Tennessee

41 months ago

cp122578 in Meridian, Mississippi said: Sherry,

Thanks for the networking tips. Speaking of which, if you of hear of anything in Mississippi or the surronding states that would be good, please let me know. I could also use a little advise on putting together my resume. I have never put together a resume before because I am retired from MawBell, but I was not ready to quit work because I am too young and I want to do something I enjoy. I am a second generation HIM Professional, so I grew up getting "volunteered" in my mother's HIM Department(especially close to time for TJC visits. lol), but that is my only experience in HIM and that was a long time ago. My last job was network analysis specialist, which does not really equate to many skills in HIM. I see that most analyst jobs are asking for RNs, so any advice on the type job I should look for? Also, should I include my test score, since I did so well on the test (390 out of 400 and 100% on the Management Domain), or would that be looked at like I am bragging?

No, I dont think I would put my scores on the resume but that is definitely something you can bring up in your interview. Also, the volunteer work is classified as "work experience" just without pay so put that in. Your best bet now is to NETWORK with as many HIM professionals that you know. If your mother is still active in the field use her networks. HIM is hard to break into when you are fresh out of school so I would advise you to go for something entry level such as release of information or even as a chart analyst or something just to get your foot in the door. Once you get 2 to 3 years experience in HIM you would then qualify to be a
supervisor or manager. THEN you will have headhunters (recruiters) calling your place of employment trying to steal you away. But also look outside of the traditional HIM jobs. And yes I would be more than happy to help you with your resume. Just let me know when. Hope this helps!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cp122578 in Meridian, Mississippi

41 months ago

Thanks for the info. I was on the fence about putting my score on a resume. I only considered it as a way to distance my abilities from the students who don't have good analytical skills (especially math skills). I think that is what makes the difference in the test scores because I started a study group to prepare for the RHIA, and was so surprised at the grads from schools all over the country who don't do well in math. I know the profession is not heavy math, but it is heavy on the need for analytical skills, and there is a lot of math on the test.

My mother is retired, but she started the local HIT school at Meridian Community College over 40 years ago. Even some of her former students are starting to retired. I had forgotten about the transcription business she started after retiring that I helped her run. I could put that on my resume as HIM "type" experience. My official title was "Vice President", but my contributions included market research to set billing and employee incentive payments, computer training, payroll, occasionally doing transcription, and I even allocated the work sometimes. I think it would qualify as a "type" of HIM management; however, since it was a family owned business and only part-time, I am not even sure it would be considered. What do you think?

I was leaning toward EHR analysis side of the business because of my analytical skills and experience, but I guess management is an option down the road; however, I am afraid we will be left with nothing to manage after EHRs and computer assisted coding are fully implemented.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sherry in Memphis, Tennessee

41 months ago

cp122578 in Meridian, Mississippi said: Thanks for the info. I was on the fence about putting my score on a resume. I only considered it as a way to distance my abilities from the students who don't have good analytical skills (especially math skills). I think that is what makes the difference in the test scores because I started a study group to prepare for the RHIA, and was so surprised at the grads from schools all over the country who don't do well in math. I know the profession is not heavy math, but it is heavy on the need for analytical skills, and there is a lot of math on the test.

My mother is retired, but she started the local HIT school at Meridian Community College over 40 years ago. Even some of her former students are starting to retired. I had forgotten about the transcription business she started after retiring that I helped her run. I could put that on my resume as HIM "type" experience. My official title was "Vice President", but my contributions included market research to set billing and employee incentive payments, computer training, payroll, occasionally doing transcription, and I even allocated the work sometimes. I think it would qualify as a "type" of HIM management; however, since it was a family owned business and only part-time, I am not even sure it would be considered. What do you think?

I was leaning toward EHR analysis side of the business because of my analytical skills and experience, but I guess management is an option down the road; however, I am afraid we will be left with nothing to manage after EHRs and computer assisted coding are fully implemented.

Yes put the transcription experience on your resume. I actually run a part-time transcription service from home (use to do it full time while raising my kids who are now teenagers). And the computer assisted coding or EHRs will not put us out of business because they both still need the human element...don't worry about that!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cp122578 in Meridian, Mississippi

41 months ago

Thanks for the advice. I have updated my resume with the management of the transcription service. I just worked part time because I was still with Mawbell (it was before I retired), but we had 12 accounts and 23 employees at one time before my mother got sick and closed it down. She kept one small account for her to do part-time, but the rest was too much for her, and for me to do keep up with part-time; however, it was not enough for me to give up the years I had toward retirement and a good salary to run a start-up company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

bz12345 in Elmwood Park, Illinois

41 months ago

I am taking my exam on 2/28/2011. Does anyone have any good hints for me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Happy in Saint Paul, Minnesota

41 months ago

I graduated with my BSHIM in May 2010 and I just took my test today for the first time(2-22-11), and I passed with a 366.

I used the PRG 2009, JB review 2010, and the Latour text (2006).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Happy in Saint Paul, Minnesota

41 months ago

bz12345 in Elmwood Park, Illinois said: I am taking my exam on 2/28/2011. Does anyone have any good hints for me?

I just took my exam today, and honestly, there wasn't any material tha I studied that really reflected the text questions. What the study material did was teach me concepts that I was able to apply.

Make sure you know about organization and management calculations.

Ftes, productivity, etc.

Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Happy in Saint Paul, Minnesota

41 months ago

Happy in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: I just took my exam today, and honestly, there wasn't any material that I studied that really reflected the test questions. What the study material did was teach me concepts that I was able to apply.

Make sure you know about organization and management calculations.

Ftes, productivity, etc.

Good Luck!

Pardon my typos!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Happy in Saint Paul, Minnesota

41 months ago

Happy in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: I just took my exam today, and honestly, there wasn't any material tha I studied that really reflected the text questions. What the study material did was teach me concepts that I was able to apply.

Make sure you know about organization and management calculations.

Ftes, productivity, etc.

Good Luck!

Pardon my typos!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.