Need Advice Regarding RHIT/RHIA Education

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 379)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

applicant in Glen Head, New York

66 months ago

My goal is to return to work after being a stay at home mom. I am 50 something and my husband of 25 years wants a divorce. I reside in a NYC suburb. I have a bachelor degree in Biology/Psychology and some work experience as a cardiac technician, but lack current cardiac credentialing. My extensive knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology is leading me to consider the field of health information management. So my questions are:
1.) Will I be able to get a job in this field without experience and what would the starting salary be?
2.) Given that I have a BA degree, what credentials should I seek to get me a job quickly with a salary sufficient to live on?

Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Kris Leitz in Sarasota, Florida

66 months ago

applicant in Glen Head, New York said: My goal is to return to work after being a stay at home mom. I am 50 something and my husband of 25 years wants a divorce. I reside in a NYC suburb. I have a bachelor degree in Biology/Psychology and some work experience as a cardiac technician, but lack current cardiac credentialing. My extensive knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology is leading me to consider the field of health information management. So my questions are:
1.) Will I be able to get a job in this field without experience and what would the starting salary be?
2.) Given that I have a BA degree, what credentials should I seek to get me a job quickly with a salary sufficient to live on?

Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

Hi applicant in GH (beautiful location!),

In order to go for the RHIT/RHIA, you need tomake sure that you go through an HIM program that is CAHIM-accredited. Go to the Ahima.org website and it will give you a list of schools. Unfortunately, the BA won't really make much of a dent, although your having taken A&P and med terminology is definitely a plus (they may be transferable).

If you have your RHIT/RHIA, it may open some doors, but many places are looking for experience...the ol' catch-22. Once you are in though, you can make a nice salary, it is the getting in that is difficult. If while you work on getting your HIM education/coding certifications, etc, you get an entry level position in a medical records department, that can provide a good foundation, and maybe an in to grow in that department.

Best of Luck!
Kris

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Annie21 in Millington, Michigan

66 months ago

I agree with Kris. At least in my area, a BA or BS + RHIT is equal to an RHIA (which requires a BS degree). You will most likely need to start out at the bottom, but I found that my employers/managers took my (unrelated) BA into account. The RHIT program is a 2 year degree, and many of your credits will not transfer. I think I was able to transfer three classes total. I love this field, though, and now that I am a coder I like it even more!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

applicant in Glen Head, New York

66 months ago

Thank you Kris and Annie21. I have an appointment with an admissions rep tomorrow at a community college. They offer an AA in HIM that is accredited. The program is 64 credits, but with my BA I believe I can get it down to 44 credits. In terms of getting a job, is it harder with a BA + AA and RHIT compared to a BA + Certificate program at a 4 year school and RHIA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

nonefornow in Arizona

65 months ago

Can anyone tell me which is the best online AHIMA accredited school? I would prefer to have one that is not only self study which seems to be the case with the AHIMA.org website. I would like to complete one within a year if possible. I already have a Bachelor's Degree with several years of medical experience as a Unit Secretary. Any suggestions for someone in the Phoenix, AZ area?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Annie21 in Millington, Michigan

65 months ago

applicant in Glen Head, New York said: Thank you Kris and Annie21. I have an appointment with an admissions rep tomorrow at a community college. They offer an AA in HIM that is accredited. The program is 64 credits, but with my BA I believe I can get it down to 44 credits. In terms of getting a job, is it harder with a BA + AA and RHIT compared to a BA + Certificate program at a 4 year school and RHIA?

Aain, this is just how it is here, but they are truly looked at as the same, especially when you're talking about entry level positions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nikole Rea in Detroit, Michigan

63 months ago

Has anyone taken (or is currently taking)the Post Baccalaureate certificate in HIM? If so, did you take/are you taking the courses in a classroom or on-line. I am interested in enrolling in a program and any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

seth israel in Chicago, Illinois

61 months ago

Enjoining the comments for RHIT/RHIA, but concerned whether an assoiciates degree will be enough to get work in the field. Thank you Kris and Anne21. P.S. Is it true that an elimination of medical coders is under way in lieu of a HIT/HIM.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

medicalcoderstudent in Franklin, Ohio

61 months ago

seth israel in Chicago, Illinois said: Enjoining the comments for RHIT/RHIA, but concerned whether an assoiciates degree will be enough to get work in the field. Thank you Kris and Anne21. P.S. Is it true that an elimination of medical coders is under way in lieu of a HIT/HIM.

An associates degree is enough to get a job. Thats what I love about the RHIT/RHIA. There are so many different jobs you can do. Your not limited to coding. I know in hopsitals most want either an RHIT or CCS to code. You can code with an RHIT but there are other jobs such as Release of Information Tech, Tumor Registar, etc that you can do with your RHIT. I really think its the way to go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Archana in Cary, Illinois

60 months ago

i have a bacelors degree in medicine. I want to earn the RHIA credntial. What kind of jobs can I apply to with this credential? Are there any post bachelor certificate programs in HIM online? Kindly let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tfmech in Florence, Kentucky

59 months ago

Hi, I work in a Medical Records department. I have recently finished an online course for Medical Coding. Unfortunately it isn't AHIMA certified. I also have a AS in Biology from a very long time ago. I am looking to get my RHIT so that I can have more options in my department. Any suggestions on how to proceed? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Possible RHIT student

59 months ago

Hello all! I was currently accepted into my community college's RHIT Associates Degree Program. Is it possible to find an entry level job? I don't see that many posted in our area but I believe there is a class that just graduated so Im sure they have probably filled many jobs. P.S. this degree is part time online. Please help... I don't want to spend money if there's not a job guaranteed at the end.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Possible RHIT student

59 months ago

tfmech in Florence, Kentucky said: Hi, I work in a Medical Records department. I have recently finished an online course for Medical Coding. Unfortunately it isn't AHIMA certified. I also have a AS in Biology from a very long time ago. I am looking to get my RHIT so that I can have more options in my department. Any suggestions on how to proceed? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi tfmech,

Check out your community college, that is what I am possibly doing if I can get some advice from fellow peoples in this field that can give me some insight. Our program is part time (2 classes/ semester) online. Good for the working girl/guy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SonjaT in Spokane, Washington

59 months ago

I have an AAS degree in the Medical Office Specialist field through the community college here. The degree included a variety of courses including Medical Transcription, Medical Reception, Billing and Coding, and Basic Medical Assisting. During my internship, I discovered that I really liked the Medical Records department and was glad to have the opportunity to work in it. I would like to further my education in that field and found out that the Health Information Technology field would allow me to get an RHIT degree. Can I transfer any of my credits to the RHIT course? They don't have an RHIT certification course or I would consider that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

medicalcoderstudent in Franklin, Ohio

58 months ago

Sheena in Independence, Missouri said: I have my AAS in health information for 2 years now and I still cant find a job in my field because the school wasnt accredited through ahima. What can I do?

Honestly your best bet is to go to a school that is accrediated through ahima/cahim. Some classes may transfer in from your previous degree. Going to an accrediated school is the only way you are elgiable to take the RHIT exam and call yourself an RHIT if you pass.

www.cahiim.org/accredpgms.asp

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sonjat in Spokane, Washington

58 months ago

medicalcoderstudent in Franklin, Ohio said: Honestly your best bet is to go to a school that is accrediated through ahima/cahim. Some classes may transfer in from your previous degree. Going to an accrediated school is the only way you are elgiable to take the RHIT exam and call yourself an RHIT if you pass.

www.cahiim.org/accredpgms.asp

Couldn't they consider the classes you took to be eligible to take the exam? What about petitioning for it? I don't understand why you wouldn't be regardless if it was AHIMA accredited or not. Having an AAS in Health Information is definitely a degree to be considered. What year did you take the course? and through who?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

medicalcoderstudent in Franklin, Ohio

58 months ago

Sonjat in Spokane, Washington said: Couldn't they consider the classes you took to be eligible to take the exam? What about petitioning for it? I don't understand why you wouldn't be regardless if it was AHIMA accredited or not. Having an AAS in Health Information is definitely a degree to be considered. What year did you take the course? and through who?

No. According to AHIMA the only way to take the RHIT exam is to get a Health Information Management Degree from a Cahiim approved school. Cahiim sets the accreditation standards for Health Information.

I'm about a year into my degree at Sinclair in Ohio.

Here are Cahiim approved schools that offer an associates degree in HIM in Washington.

Shoreline Community College - Online

Spokane Community College

Tacoma Community College

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sonjat in Spokane, Washington

58 months ago

I was just checking out HIT accredited program for myself and noticed that Tacoma Community College has an Online program, just as you have posted. I am looking at it as well. Maybe since I am a Washington resident it will be less for me. Does anyone know what the difference is between Health Information Management and Health Information Technology? They seem to be the same. Spokane Community College accepts students in the Fall, so I am looking elsewhere because I don't want to wait.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

medicalcoderstudent in Franklin, Ohio

58 months ago

Sonjat in Spokane, Washington said: I was just checking out HIT accredited program for myself and noticed that Tacoma Community College has an Online program, just as you have posted. I am looking at it as well. Maybe since I am a Washington resident it will be less for me. Does anyone know what the difference is between Health Information Management and Health Information Technology? They seem to be the same. Spokane Community College accepts students in the Fall, so I am looking elsewhere because I don't want to wait.

Most if not all programs will only accept students to start in the fall. However, it doesn't mean you can't apply for fall acceptance now. You can apply whenever. Most programs also require pre-reqs before you will be accepted so you'll need to look into that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

CStrumbe in Caledonia, Michigan

58 months ago

Annie21 in Millington, Michigan said: I agree with Kris. At least in my area, a BA or BS + RHIT is equal to an RHIA (which requires a BS degree). You will most likely need to start out at the bottom, but I found that my employers/managers took my (unrelated) BA into account. The RHIT program is a 2 year degree, and many of your credits will not transfer. I think I was able to transfer three classes total. I love this field, though, and now that I am a coder I like it even more!

I'm interested in becoming a coder. I have 8 years billing experience in a Family Practice, no college education. What is the best direction to get started? Online or Community College? Where? I'm near Grand Raids, MI.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

michelle in Antioch, Tennessee

58 months ago

Sheena in Independence, Missouri said: I have my AAS in health information for 2 years now and I still cant find a job in my field because the school wasnt accredited through ahima. What can I do?

I am very sorry that this happened to you. I was a medical assistant and tey didn't help me find a job and I couldn't get certified through AMA they were not acredited. Some of these schools draw our attention because we are all mostly parents and work full time or want a quicker degree than a four year college. At least that was my excuse LOL! I am now back in school at a four year university where I tried to avoid in the first place! I am in my Junior year obtaining my B.S. in Health Information Management, when I am done I can sit for my credentials through AHIMA. This allows for better job opportunities and better pay.
I was told by my professor that a junior college offered HIM program but the student that graduated didnt know at the time. She could not obtain her credentials through AHIMA so she had to start over with our accretited university from scratch. We have to do our own research from now own or we can get taken for a ride like me. Please research the Accrediting sites like cahiim.org/accredpgms.asp this will allow you to search accredited schools. Unfortunately if it was not a community college or four year, the classes more than likely will not transfer. You may have to start over or by chance keep looking and maybe someone will hire you without credentials but I do know that companies are on the prowl for credentials even if you don't have much experience. I knew of a person that got trained as a medical assistant without going to school in a local clinic. SHe worked there for about 20 years. They started cleaning house when the ecomony got worse and she had no credentials and she was out the door.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

linda@columbia in Columbia, Missouri

58 months ago

I am a HIT student at Minnesota State. I have done two clinicals and both hospitals have RHIT as managers or Directors. However, Michele is correct HIMA programs are more director/manager geared.In the large hospitals it is usually always RHIMA credentialed. RHIT are mostly supervisors or managers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

linda@columbia in Columbia, Missouri

58 months ago

Does anyone know anything about Indian health Services. I am single and have no responsibilities as far as family.I will be taking my RHIT exam in May.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

linda@columbia in Columbia, Missouri

58 months ago

michelle in Antioch, Tennessee said: Health Information Management Is a B.S. degree from a four year college. It allows you to get RHIA credentials when you pass the exam. It allows you to do all that HIM does plus become Director or a Manager of a facility.

The HIT Health Information Technician can do all except be managers or directors. Maybe an HIT that had been in the feild for a long time may be able to obtain a supervisor or management position I am not sure.

Both has to be credentialed through CAHIIM and AHIMA approved.RHIA is more Director and Manager geared.

Michele,

Is your program online. Where is the school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sana Qazi in Naperville, Illinois

58 months ago

linda@columbia in Columbia, Missouri said: Michele,

Is your program online. Where is the school?

work for DeVry University, we offer the HIT AA online with the ahima cahiim accreditation. The degree will take 1yr 3months to complete entirely online.
Transferrable credits can be evaluated for transfer.
You can also earn a Bachelors degree in Health Information Management, which will
incorporate HIT, and add management to your portfolio.
If you have any questions or need any further advise feel free to contact me
at sqazi@devry.edu

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sana Qazi in Naperville, Illinois

58 months ago

michelle in Antioch, Tennessee said: Health Information Management Is a B.S. degree from a four year college. It allows you to get RHIA credentials when you pass the exam. It allows you to do all that HIM does plus become Director or a Manager of a facility.

The HIT Health Information Technician can do all except be managers or directors. Maybe an HIT that had been in the feild for a long time may be able to obtain a supervisor or management position I am not sure.

Both has to be credentialed through CAHIIM and AHIMA approved.RHIA is more Director and Manager geared.

DeVry University is fully Ahima Cahiim Accredited, as well as accelerated. The program is fully online. The HIM BA can be earned in 2yrs 8months, and the HIT AA can be earned in 1yr 3months, without any prior college. The next starting date begins March 1st, email me if you have any questions sqazi@devry.edu. I am an admissions advisor and here to help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sana Qazi in Naperville, Illinois

58 months ago

Sonjat in Spokane, Washington said: I was just checking out HIT accredited program for myself and noticed that Tacoma Community College has an Online program, just as you have posted. I am looking at it as well. Maybe since I am a Washington resident it will be less for me. Does anyone know what the difference is between Health Information Management and Health Information Technology? They seem to be the same. Spokane Community College accepts students in the Fall, so I am looking elsewhere because I don't want to wait.

DeVry University is fully Ahima Cahiim Accredited, as well as accelerated. The program is fully online. The HIM BA can be earned in 2yrs 8months, and the HIT AA can be earned in 1yr 3months, without any prior college. The next starting date begins March 1st, email me if you have any questions sqazi@devry.edu. I am an admissions advisor and here to help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Polly in Houston, Texas

57 months ago

Possible RHIT student said: Hello all! I was currently accepted into my community college's RHIT Associates Degree Program. Is it possible to find an entry level job? I don't see that many posted in our area but I believe there is a class that just graduated so Im sure they have probably filled many jobs. P.S. this degree is part time online. Please help... I don't want to spend money if there's not a job guaranteed at the end.

I graduated last year with an AAS degree in Health Information Management, and still have not found a job. Most hospitals want experience, which besides 2 clinicals at hospitals in the medical records dept, I do not have. Truthfully, I would find something else to do. I graduated with a 3.91 GPA, and was in Phi Theta Kappa, and still No job. After a while this becomes depressing. I will probably go back to school soon, for another degree. It gets tiring beating your head against the wall. I believe this degree is not all that I was lead to believe that it was, and I wish I would have known this before I wasted my time and energy on what I feel like now is a use less degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Sana Qazi in Naperville, Illinois

57 months ago

Make sure that your community college is Ahima Cahiim accredited. Otherwise you will find that you will have issues finding a job, try utilizing your community college's career services department, they should be able to assist you within your local area. Also, when you are doing your clinicals, work hard and efficiently, most of the time the hospital that you do your service at will invite you for hire.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sonjat in Spokane, Washington

57 months ago

Sana Qazi in Naperville, Illinois said: DeVry University is fully Ahima Cahiim Accredited, as well as accelerated. The program is fully online. The HIM BA can be earned in 2yrs 8months, and the HIT AA can be earned in 1yr 3months, without any prior college. The next starting date begins March 1st, email me if you have any questions sqazi@devry.edu. I am an admissions advisor and here to help!

I have looked at DeVry, and while the program does looks great..the cost is a bit much for me. I am trying to keep my costs down. I am eligible for financial aid, and have credits to transfer from another degree, but that doesn't even knock the cost down enough. Thank you for responding sana.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sonjat in Spokane, Washington

57 months ago

tfmech in Florence, Kentucky said: Hi, I work in a Medical Records department. I have recently finished an online course for Medical Coding. Unfortunately it isn't AHIMA certified. I also have a AS in Biology from a very long time ago. I am looking to get my RHIT so that I can have more options in my department. Any suggestions on how to proceed? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Who did you take Medical Coding course through?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sonjat in Spokane, Washington

57 months ago

Sana Qazi in Naperville, Illinois said: completely understand, school can be very expensive. Did you apply for financial aid through DeVry? The reason I ask is because DeVry is Title IV funded, what that means is that we can get you more grants than a school that is not. I wish you the best of luck, but just make sure that you go to an accredited school, because you don't want to spend any money if your degree does not have a return.. Feel free to get back to me with any questions.

Sana..After speaking with DeVry, I found out I would be able to transfer 21 credits from my MOS degree, which was great, but the cost was still up there. I didn't go through finding out how much the TITLE IV funding would decrease it, because I had only so much time to cancel the contract. You can personally email me at letsgosurfin2@hotmail.com if you like. I am currently registering at 2 colleges in Washington that have very reasonable tuition and of course are AHIMA accredited. Depending on which offers me the best choices is the one I will pick.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

tgall in Fort Riley, Kansas

57 months ago

hi, My medical coding online course will finish really soon. and I am looking for HIT or HIM online program, today I just try to contact Herzing Univercity. but she did not call me yet.
anyway I would like to know about DeVry too. I can send my transcript and probably I will use military finance program too. so if you donot mind please send email me, here is my email account, tomomigallagher@hotmail.com I would like to know about DeVry. Thank you so much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

student in Dayton, Ohio

57 months ago

tgall in Fort Riley, Kansas said: hi, My medical coding online course will finish really soon. and I am looking for HIT or HIM online program, today I just try to contact Herzing Univercity. but she did not call me yet.
anyway I would like to know about DeVry too. I can send my transcript and probably I will use military finance program too. so if you donot mind please send email me, here is my email account, tomomigallagher@hotmail.com I would like to know about DeVry. Thank you so much

Hutchinson Community College in Kansas has a CAHIIM approved online RHIT program.

cms.hutchcc.edu/hcc/home.aspx?menu_id=88&head_id=1226&id=1228

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

tgall in Fort Riley, Kansas

57 months ago

student in Dayton, Ohio said: Hutchinson Community College in Kansas has a CAHIIM approved online RHIT program.

cms.hutchcc.edu/hcc/home.aspx?menu_id=88&head_id=1226&id=1228

I will take a look thier site.. Thank you so much for link . I appreciate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tgall in Fort Riley, Kansas

57 months ago

Also,Choosing school is really tough to go thru. I just move to KS from WA state a couple month ago, personally I like WA better than here over all. Here is nothing much school and program choice, K-state is good school but they does not have HIT or HIM.so Online is good for me.
How do you decide school ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sana Qazi in Carol Stream, Illinois

57 months ago

tgall in Fort Riley, Kansas said: Also,Choosing school is really tough to go thru. I just move to KS from WA state a couple month ago, personally I like WA better than here over all. Here is nothing much school and program choice, K-state is good school but they does not have HIT or HIM.so Online is good for me.
How do you decide school ?

Choosing a school can be a very hard task, you need to evaluate so many different aspects, quality (including accreditation), cost, conveniance etc. I sent you an email with some additional information on DeVry, feel free to communicate with me through this forum, my personal email or my work email sqazi@devry.edu.
I am here to help you make the best possible decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Brad in Naperville, Illinois

57 months ago

I work at DeVry and can answer any question for people interested in earning this type of degree. DeVry's program offers the correct accreditation to sit for the RHIT exam. Send me an e-mail bgrey@devry.edu

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nikmills in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

57 months ago

tfmech in Florence, Kentucky said: Hi, I work in a Medical Records department. I have recently finished an online course for Medical Coding. Unfortunately it isn't AHIMA certified. I also have a AS in Biology from a very long time ago. I am looking to get my RHIT so that I can have more options in my department. Any suggestions on how to proceed? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

You can attend Rasmussen College online, they work with you and your schedule. I am attending Rasmussen College for the Associate Degree in Health Information Technology and they are going to pay for my RHIT certification. And they are very helpful and they call and check up on your books and your attendance. And it has no certain schedule to be in class.
www. Rasmussen.edu -----check it out-------

nkmills225@gmail.com

P.S.
tell me what you think about
Rasmussen College and I'll give you
some more infor!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jamie McCaughey in Covington, Kentucky

57 months ago

I am currently deciding if I should get a Coding Certificate or my AS in HIT then go for a BS in HIM. I've taken a few classes online at Santa Barbara City College in HIT. I've been talking to Kaplan University and Cincinnati State and need some advice as to what area would have more opportunities. I do not have any healthcare experience, but I do have a Communications degree. Help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

student in Franklin, Ohio

57 months ago

Jamie McCaughey in Covington, Kentucky said: I am currently deciding if I should get a Coding Certificate or my AS in HIT then go for a BS in HIM. I've taken a few classes online at Santa Barbara City College in HIT. I've been talking to Kaplan University and Cincinnati State and need some advice as to what area would have more opportunities. I do not have any healthcare experience, but I do have a Communications degree. Help!

What about Sinclair? They have an online program and its one of the best around. It's a lot cheaper than SBCC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

student in Franklin, Ohio

57 months ago

nikmills in Baton Rouge, Louisiana said: You can attend Rasmussen College online, they work with you and your schedule. I am attending Rasmussen College for the Associate Degree in Health Information Technology and they are going to pay for my RHIT certification. And they are very helpful and they call and check up on your books and your attendance. And it has no certain schedule to be in class.
www. Rasmussen.edu -----check it out-------

nkmills225@gmail.com

P.S.
tell me what you think about
Rasmussen College and I'll give you
some more infor!!!!!!!

The online program isn't accredited by CAHIIM. You won't be able to sit for the RHIT exam unless its accredited by CAHIIM.

The only accredited Rasmussen programs were the ones on campus in MN and one in IL.

# Brooklyn Park, MN * * *
# Eagan, MN * * *
# Eden Prairie, MN * * *
# Lake Elmo/Woodbury, MN * * *
# Mankato, MN * * *
# Rockford, IL * * *
# St. Cloud, MN * * *

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jamie McCaughey in Covington, Kentucky

57 months ago

student in Franklin, Ohio said: What about Sinclair? They have an online program and its one of the best around. It's a lot cheaper than SBCC.

I will look into Sinclair. I enjoyed SBCC but the classes filled up soooo quickly I was only able to get in 1 or 2 classes a semster.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Brad in Naperville, Illinois

57 months ago

Check the program's accreditation at the AHIMA website. There are ONLY a couple of online programs that have the proper accreditation. bgrey@devry.edu

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

student in Franklin, Ohio

57 months ago

Brad in Naperville, Illinois said: Check the program's accreditation at the AHIMA website. There are ONLY a couple of online programs that have the proper accreditation. bgrey@devry.edu

A lot of colleges are offering the program online that is accredited through CAHIIM. Most have an accredited online or on campus program.

I just checked CAHIIM and they have 60 accredited online programs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brad in Naperville, Illinois

57 months ago

I should have put the word 100% online in my previous comment. Virtually all of them are jucos that will ultimately require you to take courses on the campus. They simply don't have the resources (financially or manpower-wise) to have EVERY class in the program online.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

student in Franklin, Ohio

57 months ago

Brad in Naperville, Illinois said: I should have put the word 100% online in my previous comment. Virtually all of them are jucos that will ultimately require you to take courses on the campus. They simply don't have the resources (financially or manpower-wise) to have EVERY class in the program online.

My program offers every class online and its a JUCO.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

student in Franklin, Ohio

57 months ago

student in Franklin, Ohio said: My program offers every class online and its a JUCO.

I should add many others are the same way. We have students from different states taking the program online. Alfred State in NY offers their entire program (pre-regs included) online, so does Hutchinson CC in Kansas. Its becoming the norm. A lot of general ed classes like English, History, even Maths are offered online. Now some like Math require a proctor for the exams so if your out of state you have to go to a local college or testing center to take it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

linda@columbia in Columbia, Missouri

57 months ago

linda@columbia in Columbia, Missouri said: Michele,

Is your program online. Where is the school?

Sorry it took me to response. My school is Minnesota State community and technical colleges/Moorehead,Minnesota

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

linda@columbia in Columbia, Missouri

57 months ago

student in Franklin, Ohio said: A lot of colleges are offering the program online that is accredited through CAHIIM. Most have an accredited online or on campus program.

I just checked CAHIIM and they have 60 accredited online programs.

All AAS degrees need 64 credits. My school required 64

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.