Remote coding jobs....don't bother

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 249)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

leh7335 in Portland, Oregon

52 months ago

Mary in Winter Haven, Florida said: You tell that Old bat from AZ Mary leh7335 in Oregon. It seems Leh7355 is another one that has her own brain! Nice to meet you Leh!

I don't live in GA moron. If you don't know about IP's then you are not worth the crap on the bottom or a shoe Mary from Phoenix. Coders are highly skilled and so are Transcriptionist. Just because someone hired you with no skills Mary from AZ, that does not apply to everybody you old hag! Ohio is trash and so is CoderToo for trying to tell people where to work. Both of you kiss a donkey's butt!

Nice to meet YOU! (Your reply is far better than mine!) But for sure, the butts I save on a daily basis (wrong eyeball, wrong leg, pronouncing the med so it sounds like something entirely different, dosage, etc). I gasp in horror over what someone in India is doing! I agree with some of your comments on nursing: I have never met such worn out, tired, mean "professionals." I saw two in the grocery store, in their scrubs, roll their eyes (get that?) when a customer fainted and fell to the floor! Why is this? Because they do all the S*** without the big $$. Sad, but stay out of My Yard with the monkey stuff - because I was too smart!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Deltona, Florida

52 months ago

leh7335 in Portland, Oregon said: Nice to meet YOU! (Your reply is far better than mine!) But for sure, the butts I save on a daily basis (wrong eyeball, wrong leg, pronouncing the med so it sounds like something entirely different, dosage, etc). I gasp in horror over what someone in India is doing! I agree with some of your comments on nursing: I have never met such worn out, tired, mean "professionals." I saw two in the grocery store, in their scrubs, roll their eyes (get that?) when a customer fainted and fell to the floor! Why is this? Because they do all the S*** without the big $$. Sad, but stay out of My Yard with the monkey stuff - because I was too smart!

That is too bad Leh that is the kind of nurses we have today to depend on to help us! You must be excellent at what you do to be a MT for 11 years! Keep up the good work and to me, you are more than just people who type at the keyboards. When I payed claims, I would have to look at the medical record sometime and it takes a highly skilled person to be a MT. Being a MT is a lot harder than being a Coder!

Mary in Deltona, Florida

52 months ago

Just to set the record Leh, it was Mary from Arizona that made that remark about Transcriptionist being monkeys. I would never say that Leh! Here again is what Mary from Phoenix AZ wrote not me, the other Mary:

That's because the people working in the specialties you listed are highly trained, skilled professionals. There's a world of difference between caring for a patient and pecking at a keyboard. A trained monkey could do your job. In fact, with all the outsourcing, that is exactly what's happening to coding!

helenofcoding in Murrieta, California

52 months ago

Mary in Deltona, Florida said: I don't want to know you HelenofCoding! Keep your advice and flush it! You don't have a right to tell a new graduate to start at the "bottom" because you are afraid that new graduate might take your job! I said it to you and I meant what I said! If you don't like it, leave the forum. I state my opinions just like rude Valenswine has done!

Once again Mary, any advice I have posted has been intended to be helpful. For the record.... I started as a file clerk and worked my way up.I have been a Consultant,and Mentor to many in the HIM field and have always gone out of my way to open doors for others. I understand your frustrations it is really tough out there, however name calling and making false assumptions about me and others on this forum is unproductive. I am sincere when I say that I do wish you the very best on your job search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

CoderToo in Hamilton, Ohio

52 months ago

Wow, quite possibly your mouth and attitude is why you are not employed! I have been a manager in the past and let me tell you I would not hire you simply because of your posts on this forum. Working in the coding/transcription profession is hard work, it takes cooperation and getting along with your co-workers and helping out in many different ways. There is no room for hatefulness and being vindictive. I know alot of MT's who are excellent workers, some work from home and their transcription skills are flawless. Coders are on a different level of expertise than transcriptionists but, they both should be equally valued as part of a team. Good luck to all in their employment searches. As I have said before, the experienced and the person who is willing to work cooperatively with others and go the extra mile is the one who gets hired today. Being hateful and unprofessional gets you well....unemployed. If I was in a managerial position, I would NOT hire you. My advice to you is to change your attitude immediately.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Valerie in San Diego, California

52 months ago

Do anybody know of a VA Hospital, preferrably on the East Coast. Who has leads and supervisors that teach and interact with their coders.. I work for the worst VA Hosp on the West Coast..I have a lead that doesn't teach her coders..She's quick to give errors but doesn't explain the "rationale"...In other words if you're not coding the way she codes then you always wrong....I thought coding is SUBJECTIVE....I really need to find another VA Hospital...

52 months ago

Valerie in San Diego, California said: Do anybody know of a VA Hospital, preferrably on the East Coast. Who has leads and supervisors that teach and interact with their coders.. I work for the worst VA Hosp on the West Coast..I have a lead that doesn't teach her coders..She's quick to give errors but doesn't explain the "rationale"...In other words if you're not coding the way she codes then you always wrong....I thought coding is SUBJECTIVE....I really need to find another VA Hospital...

Sorry, to hear this about your supervisor Valerie. What you are experiencing is someone who will not share their coding knowledge with you possibly in fear that you will become a better coder than she is, and she feels threatened by you. I have seen this working as a consultant. Many coders do not share their knowledge because that is the way they stay on top of things and always code correctly. Sometimes coders do take classes at their own expense and some feel that what they have picked up they keep to themselves, as they have paid for the knowledge. There are many boot camps and college courses you can take to refresh and update yourself. Yes, coding is somwhat a subjective thing and I have seen many arguments involving looking a documents and interpretation of them. While I do not know of a VA Hospital on the East Coast I think I would find a way to work things out with your supervisor. The VA offers exceptional benefits and outstanding salaries the last time I checked them out, much more so than civilian hospitals. Be glad you have a job, if you have read any of the posts here, there are thousands who would just love to be in your chair, work harder and get along much better with your boss, too!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Valerie in San Diego, California said: Do anybody know of a VA Hospital, preferrably on the East Coast. Who has leads and supervisors that teach and interact with their coders.. I work for the worst VA Hosp on the West Coast..I have a lead that doesn't teach her coders..She's quick to give errors but doesn't explain the "rationale"...In other words if you're not coding the way she codes then you always wrong....I thought coding is SUBJECTIVE....I really need to find another VA Hospital...

Hello Valerie...

A friend of mine told me that she believes that CAMP PENELTON/Military Base (which is not too far from San Diego) is looking for some Medical Record Analyst(s)and the job involves coding as well. This may be worth checking into.I believe there is a VA Clinic in the Youngstown, Ohio area as well that may be worth checking into if indeed the east coast is your preference. I am bi-coastal (CA & PA) and it has been my experience that the salaries on the west coast seem to be higher than on he east coast. I hope this information is helpful. I must say I do agree with CoderToo that there are many who would love to be in your chair and I wish you the very best in your career decision.

52 months ago

Mary in Brooksville, Florida said: I guess that is why you are NOT a manager! Companies don't like stupid people to be in those kind of positions. You old employees are intimidated of the new ones and that can lead to lawsuits which decreases jobs. So I would think about it before I post such rubbish CoderToo! Go get some education please!

Well, Mary, I have a Bachelors Degree in Health Information Management and a Masters in Administration. Is that enough education for you? How much education, credentials and degrees do you have? No, Mary I am not a manager, I am an administrator. And, I will define what that is so that a person like you will understand. I am the person who a manager reports to, so I am the manager's boss. Good luck finding a job, by the way I am not old, just well educated, with many years of experience in supervising and hiring the right people for medical records positions. Don't bother sending your resume to me....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

leh7335 in Portland, Oregon

52 months ago

I am an MT on this site, exploring to diversify, and I am shocked! I have seen about everything - outsourcing and lay-offs - older mentors who seem negative. We can't help the outsourcing, but my impression is that the older mentors are Gold. They understand the gravity of the work we do, and the lack of credit, and certainly get frustrated with the lack of experience that creates risk. It is in your best interest to embrace that experience. In my field, MTs are trained on a Book of Style, and countless clinics throw it out the window for different reasons. I see it, I adapt, and I have remained employed for 11 years through this very difficult time. Some of the newbies I read about here are motivated and educated, but even so, there is structure in place ahead of you. These Mentor people are not afraid of your education, they are afraid because can be paid less. In America right now, that is on the chopping block.

Mary

52 months ago

leh7335 in Portland, Oregon said: I am an MT on this site, exploring to diversify, and I am shocked! I have seen about everything - outsourcing and lay-offs - older mentors who seem negative. We can't help the outsourcing, but my impression is that the older mentors are Gold. They understand the gravity of the work we do, and the lack of credit, and certainly get frustrated with the lack of experience that creates risk. It is in your best interest to embrace that experience. In my field, MTs are trained on a Book of Style, and countless clinics throw it out the window for different reasons. I see it, I adapt, and I have remained employed for 11 years through this very difficult time. Some of the newbies I read about here are motivated and educated, but even so, there is structure in place ahead of you. These Mentor people are not afraid of your education, they are afraid because can be paid less. In America right now, that is on the chopping block.

Leh, I understand what you are saying. I am not a MT but I speak for a few of us students on this forum. It does not give any senior a right to not hire someone because they are afraid that they will get less pay or less hours. I am glad there are groups like OSHA and the EEOC to deal with Supervisors like that. And if any seniors do that to me, a lawyer will deal with it. I don't care if they lose their job after a lawyer gets involved. They should have thought about that before they were hired! Some of you senior employees and managers think more than of yourself than what you should! There is always someone above you that can bring you back to earth. I guess all the outsourcing, layoffs, and cutting hours have shown you unprofessional managers, senior staff that you are replacable. I have seen senior MT's do this to friends I know that graduated and applied for a MT job and it is just as bad Leh. It should not be going on and that is why more students are suing now!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Mary said: I will state this again. Just because someone is a new graduate (Coding, Transcription, etc) does not mean they do not have experience in this field. I worked in the field that had to read some of the sloppiness from the Coders and send it back. So I think I am qualified to make these comments and let CoderToo and Helen know where to stick their head! They are both lousy examples of what a manager or supervisor should be! I like a challenge! This should be fun dealing with Curly and Larry (CoderToo, HelenofCoding), where is Moe? The both of you need a leader like Moe! Too funny!!!!!!!!!

Mary, I wish you and everyone on this forum success in your endevors. It has been interesting chatting with you. Thanks for giving me your perspective on how you feel about alot of things. Continue with your schooling.

52 months ago

CoderToo in Hamilton, Ohio said: Mary, I wish you and everyone on this forum success in your endevors. It has been interesting chatting with you. Thanks for giving me your perspective on how you feel about alot of things. Continue with your schooling.

"ditto"....best wishes to all. May 2011 bring success to everyone for their hard work and efforts.

carolt1964 in Flint, Michigan

52 months ago

You've had 5+ jobs in the last 9 years? I wouldn't say you are an expert on the subject. I have no problem finding remote jobs that are long term.

smarting in Austin in Austin, Texas said: Go for it. It's not negative. It's the plain, honest truth. I've been coding 9 years. The last 5 from home. I'm CPC and CPC-H certified. My job is now going to someone in India. The stimulus money that hospitals got to implement EMR (electronic medical records)...makes it much easier for greedy contract companies to sell hospitals on outsourcing. And those outsourced jobs - remote coding, medical transcription, etc - will be out of the country. It's already happened to one co-worker 3 times. Check out the "American" Academy of Professional Coder's website...see where they have tests sites now? INDIA! They are cheaper, don't need benefits and can work around the clock. I wish you all the luck in the world. Yes, there will still be coding jobs in the U.S., but they will be in offices and hospitals. At least, for awhile. Me....I'm going back to school and doing something entirely different. I don't see a future in this anymore.

Mary

52 months ago

CoderToo in Hamilton, Ohio said: Mary, I wish you and everyone on this forum success in your endevors. It has been interesting chatting with you. Thanks for giving me your perspective on how you feel about alot of things. Continue with your schooling.

Well aren't we changing our tune CoderToo now that I posted OSHA on the board! First you said your would not hire me and now you wish me the best! Tell me, do you ride your broom to work, when you leave, or both ways!! There are too many like you holding new employees back unfortuantely. I do not need your luck because I belong to the one that created all things. God Almighty is his name! Not CoderToo or Helen! Remember your earlier post:

. Good luck finding a job, by the way I am not old, just well educated, with many years of experience in supervising and hiring the right people for medical records positions. Don't bother sending your resume to me...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Mary

52 months ago

carolt1964 in Flint, Michigan said: You've had 5+ jobs in the last 9 years? I wouldn't say you are an expert on the subject. I have no problem finding remote jobs that are long term.

Congrats Carolt for being positive to us students! Now you are a supervisor I would not mind working for. You seem to motivate and stay positive and I thank you for it! My plans are not to be a manager at all! I like working behind the scenes and I get a chance to see what it is like on the Coder side. So I don't appreciate some of these deadbeat Coders trying to hold new Coders back from progressing in the field!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Carol in Flint, Michigan

52 months ago

Mary,

I'm not a supervisor, just a regular coder with 12 years of experience. Don't let people tell you there isn't going to be any work. I know differently. It is true that some coding is going overseas, but all the jobs going that way is ridiculous. Not every company is going to use this cheap labor.

My advice to new coders is to realize that working remotely is something that mostly experienced coders do and that you will need about 5 years experience to be hired by companies that employ remote coders (ie Kforce, Maxim, PHNS, Peak, etc.). It isn't going to be an instantaneous thing like so many schools portray it. Exceptions to this would be hospitals that send their coders home after training in the office.

Your best bet as a new coder is to learn every type of coding that you possibly can on the job. Once you go exclusively remote, you won't have the opportunity to learn new things. The more types of coding you do, the more marketable you will be. If you choose to learn just one type of coding, let it be inpatient facility coding. If you add outpatient coding to that, you can write your own ticket. Generally, you will be more appealing with each credential. I personally would suggest AHIMA credentials, but there are many who disagree. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Stacy in Lilburn, Georgia

51 months ago

I have been reading what is going and I am going to disagree with you Carol. I am a new graduate who had my system hacked by some jealous, back-bitting people who have tried to keep me from this field. I copied a section from one of your companies that you mentioned. It did not stated that you have to have 5 years to be employed as a remote coder, it only stated that you had to have a certain certification (I won't say on here since I did my own research and most of you senior coders on here seem to be negative). Through a friend, I was able to track down who tried to disable that link to that employer and hack into my system. A few of us will be taking legal action. So Carol, I hope that you don't tell the new graduates or Coders that they have to have 5 years experience b/c that is false information and it is nothing more than some of you senior Coders, trying to keep new Coders from working because you are scared that you might not have job, someone might learn something that you didn't (the ICD-10-CM) for instance, and just some of you are nasty and evil!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

All the power to you if you can find a desirable remote position (that doesn't pay by the chart) without a lot of experience. I would suggest calling the major consulting firms and asking about how much experience they require. Looking at a webpage isn't the same as being interviewed or being considered for a job position.

I stand by my advice from experience. I'm not being negative as you would imply Stacy, I have no reason to be. Just trying to be helpful.

51 months ago

Wow Stacy, that's professional.

Stacy

51 months ago

carolt1964 in Flint, Michigan said: Wow Stacy, that's professional.

No more professional than Valentine and some of these other old Coders. I guess the new ones are suppose to act a certain way on a forum? You should read the response that Valentine gave to a new Coder who has a spouse struggling with cancer!

I really don't see the help on this forum from most of you Coders. I see a lot of negativity and jealousy from some of you. I see a lot of job blocking, abuse at work with new Coders, and some other things that I have read. I don't see the help at all. You don't have a right to keep people in a box because you are threatened that you will lose your job! I know what I read and I copied and sent it to the new Coders that I know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Heather in Granbury, Texas

51 months ago

Carol in Flint, Michigan said: Mary,

I'm not a supervisor, just a regular coder with 12 years of experience. Don't let people tell you there isn't going to be any work. I know differently. It is true that some coding is going overseas, but all the jobs going that way is ridiculous. Not every company is going to use this cheap labor.

My advice to new coders is to realize that working remotely is something that mostly experienced coders do and that you will need about 5 years experience to be hired by companies that employ remote coders (ie Kforce, Maxim, PHNS, Peak, etc.). It isn't going to be an instantaneous thing like so many schools portray it. Exceptions to this would be hospitals that send their coders home after training in the office.

Your best bet as a new coder is to learn every type of coding that you possibly can on the job. Once you go exclusively remote, you won't have the opportunity to learn new things. The more types of coding you do, the more marketable you will be. If you choose to learn just one type of coding, let it be inpatient facility coding. If you add outpatient coding to that, you can write your own ticket. Generally, you will be more appealing with each credential. I personally would suggest AHIMA credentials, but there are many who disagree. Hope this helps.

Very true. I have been coding for 14 years and working at home full-time for 8 years. I am an RHIT and started in a hospital and then started working for a company that provides coding to hospitals all over the US. Working at home is HARD work, but with the price of gas, it is very nice to be able to do so. Some of the companies that hire to work at home are:
In Record Time
PHNS
Amazon Coding
UASI (I think that's their name)
And many hospitals hire coders and let them work at home. I highly doubt they would outsource to India. I have 2 friends that have been coding at home for local hospitals for 8 years.

Doddi in Greer, South Carolina

51 months ago

So Heather, what you are saying is because you worked outside your home for 8 years that new Coders should follow suit and not be able to work at home? I disagree with that depending on your background! It is not for you unprofessional Coders to say whether someone gets to work at home or not. You should mind your business and try to keep your current work. Some of you Coders did not even receive formal training. Some of you did not even decide to get certified until much later when it was required! There are new graduates that work at hospitals, doctor offices, outpatient facilities and they work at home! It is too bad that most of you can't be more helpful!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Nurse Coder-E/MAuditor in Lebanon, Oregon

50 months ago

trauma girl in Louisville, Kentucky said: If coders in the USA can't read and assign correct MD's to procedures , how in the world can someone overseas do that? If MD's are paid by their procedures and they are not properly assigned, maybe they will rethink this off shore nonsense especially when the green bottom line is involved.

I have lost my job 3 times to offshore "partners" so they are called. And to answer your question I also audited there charts (actually trained them how to audit our charts). Yes, I am no longer an auditor, but they are auditing me.. When I audited them procedures you asked were like this fracture tibia - splint applied, splint code used - long arm.. Tell me was that a comfortable fit? HUM...

heidigrex in Pasadena, California

50 months ago

"I have lost my job 3 times to offshore "partners" so they are called."

I see you are in my area, Oregon. I am seeing the end of my 11-plus year MT job and was going to try to get coding education. I had someone tell me that OHSU was hurting for coders. Now I am not so sure. Can you impart any wisdom regarding the Oregon area job prospects? Albany/Salem/Portland?

50 months ago

BTW, I have no idea why I am coming up as in Pasadena, California. Salem, Oregon is what it should be.

Nurse Coder-E/MAuditor in Lebanon, Oregon

50 months ago

heidigrex in Pasadena, California said: "I have lost my job 3 times to offshore "partners" so they are called."

I see you are in my area, Oregon. I am seeing the end of my 11-plus year MT job and was going to try to get coding education. I had someone tell me that OHSU was hurting for coders. Now I am not so sure. Can you impart any wisdom regarding the Oregon area job prospects? Albany/Salem/Portland?

Hi Heidi- You are my neighbor.. Nice to meet you. I have heard OHSU is hurting for Coders. I am currently employed so have not pursued that avenue. But, perhaps will need to in the near future with the trend being outsourcing to offshore partners. I have also heard Kaiser Permanente is hiring Coders in the Portland area.. Neither OHSU, nor KP are remote positions that I am aware of.. I wish you lots of luck in your employment endeavors..

50 months ago

Interesting. Thank you, neighbor :) I actually work for KP, and I was told by a KP computer tech that he had upgraded some of the remote coders' computers recently. Also the grapevine says that KP just let some coders go. Can't verify if that is indeed true. I was told that a friend of a friend - that sort of thing - that OHSU has remote coders but again don't really know. Really hard knowing whether to take the plunge on this coding thing. I am totally spoiled working remotely now and will hate to see it end. Anyway, thanks!

Kimberly in Chicago, Illinois

50 months ago

cpc in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: i currently work for a remote coding company and i also have several friends that do as well- i have to say i disagree with you about all coding jobs moving overseas

Can you please give me the information for what company you work for? Thanks

Newbutexperienced in Tallahassee, Florida

50 months ago

I just took and passed the CPC exam in December. I have over 13 years of experience in medical billing and almost 3 years experience as a coder and auditor. I am also taking a course to become a certified ICD10 code set and HIPAA 5010 compliance analyst. I should be taking the test by mid February. I am appalled at the pay rate in the state of Florida. I have been talking to a couple of recruiters for traveling lead coder positions. I am also a little discouraged about the lack of jobs in ICD10 and 5010 compliance anywhere in the whole country. Just wondering if anyone else is going through this training and what the job prospects look like in other areas of the country. Are these the jobs that will be outsourced to India? BTW, when I completed my CPC certification my current employer will not even give me a raise. They are paying me the same and have two other coders working who are not certified. They want me to train them in what I know without more money. Sorry, but these people have the same opportunities to pay for the training I paid for. Hence the reason I am now talking to recruiters to get the H out of Florida!

Newbutexperienced in Tallahassee, Florida

50 months ago

If I may ask...when recruiters are asking me how much I want as a yearly salary for a traveling lead coder, what should I go for? CPC certified, 13 years experience in medical billing, 3 years experience in coding and auditing and I will be a certified ICD10 and 5010 compliance analyst.
I don't want to undersell myself but I don't want to price myself out of the market either.
Thanks for any opinions!

valentie2 in Salt Lake City, Utah

50 months ago

Newbutexperienced in Tallahassee, Florida said: I am also a little discouraged about the lack of jobs in ICD10 and 5010 compliance anywhere in the whole country. Just wondering if anyone else is going through this training and what the job prospects look like in other areas of the country. Are these the jobs that will be outsourced to India? QUOTE]

Congrats on passing the CPC!

I think that is great you are going to be ICD 10 certified, my experience is that most people aren't really in ICD 10 mode yet, I work for a major hospital system and we have barely grazed the surface of it. So I think you will find the rest of the country is the same way, but come a year or so from now, your skills and certification will be invaluable! So don't drop it just because there are currently no jobs, I am pretty sure there will be shortly.

As for the pay for a travel lead coder, I am not sure and honestly, I think you will get a better, more informed answer by posting it on the AAPC forum.

Good luck with the job search, when I got certified, my employer also wouldn't give me a raise, so I immediately looked for a new job, and I'm glad I did. I work for a great organization, and I love being in an environment that appreciates that extra effort I went to to get certified.

pattie105131@yahoo.com in Cleveland, Ohio

50 months ago

coding student said: I've heard Kforce is good but they want 2-3 years experience. Lexicode also comes to mind but they want experience as well.

I work for KForce. They are one of the best companies around. If you are willing to work and work hard they will find work for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

newbutexperienced in Tallahassee, Florida

50 months ago

I have a problem with Kforce, The Coding Source and several of these other companies. I have interviewed for travel and remote coding positions and the first thing they want me to do is take "their" test. Please explain to me why I shelled out all the money I did to pass the nationally accredited CPC test issued by American Academy of Professional Coders only to have to take "their" test? Who compiles this test? Are they nationally certified? Who grades these tests? I refuse to have my creditionals called into question. I was offered another position with a national company to work from home and all they wanted was to be able to verify my credentials through AAPC. I was also offered $10,000 more in salary than Kforce or Coding Source were offering.

Certified in Palos Park, Illinois

50 months ago

ok so who do you work for now?

50 months ago

newbutexperienced who do you work for now?

50 months ago

newbutexperienced who do you work for now?

valentine2 in Salt Lake City, Utah

50 months ago

newbutexperienced in Tallahassee, Florida said: I have a problem with Kforce, The Coding Source and several of these other companies. I have interviewed for travel and remote coding positions and the first thing they want me to do is take "their" test. Please explain to me why I shelled out all the money I did to pass the nationally accredited CPC test issued by American Academy of Professional Coders only to have to take "their" test? Who compiles this test? Are they nationally certified? Who grades these tests? I refuse to have my creditionals called into question. I was offered another position with a national company to work from home and all they wanted was to be able to verify my credentials through AAPC. I was also offered $10,000 more in salary than Kforce or Coding Source were offering.

Let me start by saying, I agree with you. I do not like being tested by employers. I feel that my credential and years of experience should be enough.

But I also see it from employers point of view, that they want to guarantee (especially remote companies) that a coder is capable of doing what they claim they can. People do embellish their resumes and claim more experience then they really have.

Again, that being said, I have come across some strange tests, and do wish there was a more uniformity to them.

50 months ago

I'm now working for BCBS.

50 months ago

valentine2 in Salt Lake City, Utah said: Let me start by saying, I agree with you. I do not like being tested by employers. I feel that my credential and years of experience should be enough.

But I also see it from employers point of view, that they want to guarantee (especially remote companies) that a coder is capable of doing what they claim they can. People do embellish their resumes and claim more experience then they really have.

Again, that being said, I have come across some strange tests, and do wish there was a more uniformity to them.

Valentine,

But shouldn't the ability for an employer to verify our credentials through AAPC or AHIMA be enough?

Certified in Chicago, Illinois

50 months ago

You are working for BCBS from home

50 months ago

I have to go back and forth some but I can work a lot from home.

valentine2 in Salt Lake City, Utah

50 months ago

newbutexperienced in Tallahassee, Florida said: Valentine,

But shouldn't the ability for an employer to verify our credentials through AAPC or AHIMA be enough?

yes and no. I have known many coders who are credentialed, but only code off an encounter, charge slip, etc. If they applied for a position that has to code E/M, while they have 3+ years as a coder, entering in E/M by the 100s, every day, they do not know what determines each level of E/M, so an employer varifies their employment and credential, but now they have a coder, that is not accurately coding E/M.

I do NOT work for a remote company in any capacity, I just can see from their point of view as to why they do it.

Like I said, I am totally on your side, I don't like testing.

Another thing I don't like about pre employment testing is that coding has a lot of gray area and room for debate, it seems that a lot of these companies have a set answer and either it is right or wrong, but that isn't how coding works. It would be nice if they allowed you to explain your answers....

50 months ago

Doddi in Greer, South Carolina said: So Heather, what you are saying is because you worked outside your home for 8 years that new Coders should follow suit and not be able to work at home? I disagree with that depending on your background! It is not for you unprofessional Coders to say whether someone gets to work at home or not. You should mind your business and try to keep your current work. Some of you Coders did not even receive formal training. Some of you did not even decide to get certified until much later when it was required! There are new graduates that work at hospitals, doctor offices, outpatient facilities and they work at home! It is too bad that most of you can't be more helpful!

No not at all. I just know that if you are going to work at home they are going to want you to have experience so that you can fly on your own right away. Why so defensive? Do you want someone to tell you the truth or tell you that as a new coder it is a snap to get a remote coding job?

I think that I would like to get away from these companies that hire people to code at home. I want to find a job with a local hospital that lets the coders work at home. Lot less chance of the work being outsourced to India. And, they don't work you as hard. I work about 10-12 hours a day. It's an exhausting job.

50 months ago

Well, I received my test to take from The Coding Source. The test is from 2009, says right in the directions to use 2009 books. I threw my 2009 coding books out over a year ago! So are they grading the test with 2009 answers or 2011? So my "CURRENT" CPC certification isn't good enough for a company that cannot even keep up with current year coding materials. I don't think I would work for this company.

50 months ago

I have never had a coding job that didn't test me first. And I have a degree and AHIMA credentials.

I have always been audited too. Every other week at this job. I have seen them fire people that cannot maintain the 95% accuracy rate.

pattie105131 in Cleveland, Ohio

50 months ago

I agree with you. It is the only way to keep a coder current on guidelines and and on top of any changes.

EDCtx in Texas

49 months ago

smarting in Austin, Texas said: Don't bother looking for remote coding jobs. They are all being sent overseas. Don't believe me? Look in the back of the AAPC magazine, which lists the names of all the recently certified people. The majority are in India.
My company just announce they are laying off entire coding staff and outsourcing the entire operation. This is the third time it's happened. Best you can do in this industry is an office job. But pretty soon with EMR, those will be outsourced as well. A career change is the best advice I can give you.

I didn't think it would happen, but we just found out that a large portion of our ER coding is going to India. Not all of the hospitals we code for will allow their coding to go off shore, but some will. Very disappointed. In this economy, Americans need jobs. Why take work away from us and send it elsewhere? Wait... I know why.... It's all about making money and I guess they work cheaper than us. We've seen it happen in other industries too.

I have been working for a company that provides coding services to hospitals for a long time now. I don't think I've ever been this disappointed since I started coding. I am thinking about finding a job at a local hospital and hopefully not have this happen again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

durock in Tallahassee, Florida

49 months ago

newbutexperienced in Tallahassee, Florida said: I have to go back and forth some but I can work a lot from home.

Hi New but experienced in Tallahassee. I am an RN and am getting ready to take my CPC exam April 2nd. How is the job situation out there? Any good ideas to help me along? I would love to hear your input. thanks

durock in Tallahassee, Florida

49 months ago

durock in Tallahassee, Florida said: Hi New but experienced in Tallahassee. I am an RN and am getting ready to take my CPC exam April 2nd. How is the job situation out there? Any good ideas to help me along? I would love to hear your input. thanks

Oh, I am in Tallahassee also

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.