Should I start in Inpatient, Outpatient or Surgery Coding?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

micetayl in Chicago, Illinois

20 months ago

Davistv in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Wow, hospitals in Iowa must be very strict. I graduated from a 2yr HIM program in August, passed the RHIT 90 days later. No medical industry experience (career change). I got an offer for inpatient coder in February. Long training/probationary period. 5 months on the job and love it. After a few years I hope to move onto outpatient, ED etc. so I will know all areas.

The hospitals are like that in northwest IN and the Chicago area, as well. It's very difficult to start with an inpatient coding position and it's rarely happens. I tested early before I graduated and got my RHIT and I'm still trying to find a position 4 months after graduation and so is the rest of my class. We were trained thoroughly in ICD10 and it doesn't seem to help in the job market at this moment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Evelina in Palos Park, Illinois

20 months ago

micetayl in Chicago, Illinois said: The hospitals are like that in northwest IN and the Chicago area, as well. It's very difficult to start with an inpatient coding position and it's rarely happens. I tested early before I graduated and got my RHIT and I'm still trying to find a position 4 months after graduation and so is the rest of my class. We were trained thoroughly in ICD10 and it doesn't seem to help in the job market at this moment.

May I ask you where did you go to school for coding?I am in Illinois and not sure if it is worth it to go for certificate or associate degree when you do not have any experience and I hear that is hard to find any coding job.Is that true?Thanks so much for any response!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

micetayl in Chicago, Illinois

20 months ago

Evelina in Palos Park, Illinois said: May I ask you where did you go to school for coding?I am in Illinois and not sure if it is worth it to go for certificate or associate degree when you do not have any experience and I hear that is hard to find any coding job.Is that true?Thanks so much for any response!!

Yes, it's very hard to find employment in the field without prior experience. Volunteering while going to school, if you have the time, would be very lucrative in that sense. I went to Indiana University Northwest and received my Associates degree and tested for the RHIT. I would highly suggest the degree over the certificate for hiring purposes, just from what I read in current job descriptions. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Newbieatthis in Chicago, Illinois

14 months ago

micetayl in Chicago, Illinois said: Yes, it's very hard to find employment in the field without prior experience. Volunteering while going to school, if you have the time, would be very lucrative in that sense. I went to Indiana University Northwest and received my Associates degree and tested for the RHIT. I would highly suggest the degree over the certificate for hiring purposes, just from what I read in current job descriptions. Good Luck!

Hello! How did you go about getting experience? Just calling around hospitals? Also, around what time did you try (first month, half way through?) .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Coder in Ashburn, Virginia

10 months ago

Newbieatthis in Chicago, Illinois said: Hello! How did you go about getting experience? Just calling around hospitals? Also, around what time did you try (first month, half way through?) .

Experience is not always necessary. I was hired before I graduated from Andrews and without certifications, based on the strength of the program. I got both the CPC and the CCS right away without any difficulty.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.