Travel Coding?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 106)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Linda Kuai, CCS

80 months ago

Does anyone here know anything about travel coding? I was offered to do travel coding by Source Corp. They said that they would send me to boot camp for 12 weeks of coding training, since I don't have any coding experience. Then I would have to be willing to travel full-time to wherever they source me out to in the United States. It would require airplane travel, and they would pay all of the traveling expenses. I can go home on the weekends.

Is this kind of job very difficult? Do coders get burned-out easily. I'm not married or have any children right now, and I do need to gain some coding experience. So I thought this might be a good opportunity for me. But I'm worried about the level of physical stress this position would require. I don't know how often and to where they would usually send me. The recruiter said they would send me to Northern California after boot camp training.

I would appreciate any information or advice anyone can give me.

Thanks,
Linda Kuai, CCS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

concal in charleston, South Carolina

80 months ago

Linda,
Email me at conniecalvert@hotmail.com
I can give you some info on the company and traveling as a consultant.
Connie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Linda Kuai, CCS

79 months ago

Hi Connie,
I sent you an email last week. Did you get it? Thank you for giving information.
Linda

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shahana in Dayton, Ohio

79 months ago

Hi Linda,

I am interested in a position like this as well. I just completed my Medical Coding Certificate and am looking for some experience in the field. Do you know anyone at Source Corp that I could send my resume to? If you can give me any advice please email me at shana9896@hotmail.com.

Thanks so much...I appreciate any help!
Shahana

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Janet in Tucson, Arizona

78 months ago

For this company do you have to get a medical coding certificate before attending the boot camp? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

travis deloach in hattiesburg, Mississippi

77 months ago

I'm interested in learning more about travel coding. I'm currently in the process of getting my certification. If anyone can help give me a little I am interested in a position like this as well. I just completed my Medical Coding Certificate and am looking for some experience in the field. Do you know anyone at Source Corp that I could send my resume to? If you can give me any advice please email me at shana9896@hotmail.com. , please do. My email is travis.deloach@yahoo.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tamara J in San Antonio, Florida

77 months ago

I am looking for a remote coding postion I have 8 years coding experience and 3 years as a remote coder. I have my CCP certification and PAHCS certification. I will be sitting for CCS-P exam later this year. I also have 4 years experience as Medical Billing and Coding Instructor and Practice Management. I proctored exams for both the AAPC and PAHCS. If anyone is looking for a remote coder you can email me at tamara_cpccmscs@tampabay.rr.com. I have experience in coding several different speciialites including ER,Out Patient,EMR charts and scanned charts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Delores J in North Little Rock, Arkansas

77 months ago

Lorraine W. in Connersville, Indiana said: While I cannot--repeat cannot--speak for SourceCorp, I can tell you that after working for three different contracting firms, none of them sent me home on weekends. The reason for this is that most facilities want to get a 'feel' for how the coder fits into the department (if it's a longterm assignment, ie, over 1 month) before they start paying for trips home. Yes, it is actually the facility that is paying for the flights when you work for a firm that 'pays upfront'.

I worked 7 contracts over the course of one year, and only one allowed me to go home after a week. Most had me stay at least 3 weeks before I was allowed to return home, and after that, it was every 2 wks.

Burn-out is a very real consideration for traveling coders. Some have no problem with it, for others it is too much. My typical schedule:

S--fly, check in
M-F--work
S--veg out in hotel/drive around/OT
S--same as Saturday
M-F--work
S--fly home
S--fly out

I to am in process of getting my coding certificate. I have worked on the front end insurance area for 10 years. What kind of salary, benefits are involved in travel coding jobs? thanks dj

Steph in Seattle in Redmond, Washington

76 months ago

Delores J in North Little Rock, Arkansas said: I to am in process of getting my coding certificate. I have worked on the front end insurance area for 10 years. What kind of salary, benefits are involved in travel coding jobs? thanks dj

Much of it depends on your years of experience, credential, and field of expertise. I have seen hourly rates from $18 to $40 an hour, with the higher end often involving auditing of charts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Tampa in West Hills, California

76 months ago

Hello there folks, although I am not a recruiter for my company I do work for On Assignment and know that we do work with traveling codesr and Steph in Seattle is correct and it's pretty much like she described. I have seen some facilities offer more opportunities to go home on the weekends but it depends on how generous the hospital is. (or how desperate) At any rate, I welcome folks to reach out to an On Assignment recruiter for a chat and you can bombard them with questions. I know that the travel side of things really needs to have some pretty specific experience since the hospitals call on us to help them out of a bind. That means sending someone in who is an expert or darn near close to it. So you go in, rescue and get out, playing the hero sort of. Most facilities also have strict guidelines and requests for certifications and education specifics and each are different but having a degree is most desirable by most clients.
If anyone would like more info, go to www.onassignment.com or email me and I'll get you to a recruiter. karen.gaumer@onassignment.com
Hope I didn't sound too much like one of those salesy types.....K

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Tampa in Tampa, Florida

76 months ago

Steph in Seattle in Redmond, Washington said: Much of it depends on your years of experience, credential, and field of expertise. I have seen hourly rates from $18 to $40 an hour, with the higher end often involving auditing of charts.

Hey, too bad about Leroi, huh? Sad day indeed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Tampa in Tampa, Florida

76 months ago

Thanks,
Linda Kuai, CCS

Hello there folks, although I am not a recruiter for my company I do work for On Assignment and know that we do work with traveling codesr and Steph in Seattle is correct and it's pretty much like she described. I have seen some facilities offer more opportunities to go home on the weekends but it depends on how generous the hospital is. (or how desperate) At any rate, I welcome folks to reach out to an On Assignment recruiter for a chat and you can bombard them with questions. I know that the travel side of things really needs to have some pretty specific experience since the hospitals call on us to help them out of a bind. That means sending someone in who is an expert or darn near close to it. So you go in, rescue and get out, playing the hero sort of. Most facilities also have strict guidelines and requests for certifications and education specifics and each are different but having a degree is most desirable by most clients.
If anyone would like more info, go to www.onassignment.com or email me and I'll get you to a recruiter. karen.gaumer@onassignment.com
Hope I didn't sound too much like one of those salesy types.....K

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Delores Jester in Little Rock, Arkansas

76 months ago

Sylvia, I have limited coding experience. I take my CPC exam on 9/20/08. Would you send me some additional information regarding your company. I can travel and do not have any children. I have worked in a front end insurance position (verify, pre auth testing, etc...) for 10 years at a large cancer center in AR.

Thank you,
D Jester

76 months ago

Linda Kuai, CCS said: Does anyone here know anything about travel coding? I was offered to do travel coding by Source Corp. They said that they would send me to boot camp for 12 weeks of coding training, since I don't have any coding experience. Then I would have to be willing to travel full-time to wherever they source me out to in the United States. It would require airplane travel, and they would pay all of the traveling expenses. I can go home on the weekends.

Is this kind of job very difficult? Do coders get burned-out easily. I'm not married or have any children right now, and I do need to gain some coding experience. So I thought this might be a good opportunity for me. But I'm worried about the level of physical stress this position would require. I don't know how often and to where they would usually send me. The recruiter said they would send me to Northern California after boot camp training.

Thanks,
Linda Kuai, CCS

Linda, can you send me some information regarding the 12 week boot camp you mentioned Source Corp company has? I tried to look the company up on the internet, but did not have any luck. Good luck to you in your job search.

76 months ago

travis deloach in hattiesburg, Mississippi said: I'm interested in learning more about travel coding. I'm currently in the process of getting my certification. If anyone can help give me a little I am interested in a position like this as well. I just completed my Medical Coding Certificate and am looking for some experience in the field. Do you know anyone at Source Corp that I could send my resume to? If you can give me any advice please email me at shana9896@hotmail.com. , please do. My email is travis.deloach@yahoo.com.

Travis, have you received any info? I am taking my cpc exam on 9/20/08. thanks, D Jester

Rowlencia Wendy Pickett in Birmingham, Alabama

76 months ago

Senior Staffing Manager in Tampa, Florida said: Hi and thanks for your reply.
Please call me at the number below and we can discuss your interest in more detail.
I look forward to speaking with you
Have a great day

Sylvia Lugo-Bryant
Senior Staffing Manger
COMFORCE Coding Services
5401 West Kennedy Blvd
Suite 880
Tampa, FL 33609
sbryant@comforce.com
866-302-4678 TOLL FREE
813-348-1778 FAX

Hello, I am very intrested in becoming a cpc and I am married and no kids wanted to know how do I go about attending the boot camp. I have worked for Health South CPC Billing for 2 yrs and not so familiar with a lot of terms and codes, due to that has been some yrs ago. I was not certified as a coder, but was introduce to it again in becoming a CPC.I understand the demand is high and want to know can you help me in my new career that I have choosen.Your time has greatly been appreciated and I hope to hear from you soon.
Thank You
R. Wendy Pickett

ANGEL in Chicago, Illinois

75 months ago

Shahana in Dayton, Ohio said: Hi Linda,

I am interested in a position like this as well. I just completed my Medical Coding Certificate and am looking for some experience in the field. Do you know anyone at Source Corp that I could send my resume to? If you can give me any advice please email me at shana9896@hotmail.com.

Thanks so much...I appreciate any help!
Shahana

www.thecodingsource.com
ask for Jason Henry

luckycharmsu in san diego, California

75 months ago

Why is it important for the diagnoses to be linked to each service or procedure that is performed?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CODER 2 in Dade City, Florida

75 months ago

luckycharmsu in san diego, California said: Why is it important for the diagnoses to be linked to each service or procedure that is performed?

Because that is what gets the claim paid you have to have a dx and/or E/M and procdure so that the insurance comapany knows what was done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Brenda

74 months ago

Hello everyone!! I am interested in traveling coding as well. Ive worked in the DOD sector for 6 1/2 years and im cpc certified. I would like to be able to fly home every other week..if anyone knows of a company that is willing to do this please email me at bren.sa.tx29@hotmail.com. Thank you

Brenda

Georgette Johnson in Mobile, Alabama

74 months ago

Hello people! I just graduated from Remington College of Mobile Alabama. I am currently studying for my CCA examination and I have my diploma in Medical Insurance and Coding. I would like to know if I would be able to travel with my cca certification. I am very proud of you if you have a high position in your field. I wish you all well. I need help with experience and I also have a little something on my background that might stop me in the long run because employers can be judgemental when they check out your background. Anyway if anyone have any advice, comments, or information please feel free to email me.

lynne4bama912

72 months ago

concal in charleston, South Carolina said: Linda,
Connie

Connie,
I was looking at the forum and noticed you have info on travel coding companies.
I a CPC and have approximately 3 years experience over the years. I really want to do travel coding but have no clue where to start. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
lynne4bama912@yahoo.com

chrisfield in Billings, Montana

72 months ago

My name is Chris Field. I am a coding student ta MSU-Billings in Billings, MT. I will be taking my certification exams for AACP and AHIMA in June. I was wondering if anybody out there could give me information on what I can find employment-wise coming straight out of school with no other formal training as a coder. Thank you.

dee in Los Angeles, California

72 months ago

luckycharmsu in san diego, California said: Why is it important for the diagnoses to be linked to each service or procedure that is performed?

The diagnosis and procedure are a part of your medical record as it keeps a history of all procedure done on you for to receive a proper quality of care, determination of benefits, eligibility, reimbursements of medical benefits and also it can help doctors to find better ways to cure diseases that you may encounter. It's also a federal guideline of your medical chart to have all diagnoses and procedures documented in your chart. If a procedure is not documented the doctor is liable if something goes wrong with your diagnosis and/or procedure. So it's the doctor responsibility to make sure all diagnosis are recorded and procedures documented to prevent any serious errors.

aangeljazz in Hammond, Indiana

72 months ago

I work for THE CODING SOURCE. Its great for a single person.(great pay).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Coder in Granbury, Texas

72 months ago

I have done a little bit of travel coding in the past. I made more money in 2 days than I was making all week at my regular job at the time. The drawback is that you are away from home in a strange city/town alone in a hotel when you're not at the hospital. I know of another girl that did it full-time for awhile. She put on a lot of weight because she was eating out all of the time and getting no exercise. So, it's probably a good idea to hit the hotel exercise room and watch your diet when you are traveling.

I might consider doing the traveling again in the future. My son is almost to the age that I could leave him at home (he's a senior in hs). I have a work-at-home coding job and I don't like it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

brenda

72 months ago

Good afternoon..
Im interested in doing travel coding. Can someone please tell me what companies offer good benefits and good pay. I am a single person and able to travel. attached is my email: Bren.sa.tx29@hotmail.com

lynne mills in coffee springs, Alabama

72 months ago

Chris,
Good luck on your exams! As for employment without experience...also, good luck. Over the years, I have 3 years experience coding but only 6 months recently. I finished my Assc. Degree and passed by CPC in December. Most of the places I've checked with want at least 2 years current experience. Wish I had better news.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

chrisfield in Billings, Montana

72 months ago

lynne mills in coffee springs, Alabama said: Chris,
Good luck on your exams! As for employment without experience...also, good luck. Over the years, I have 3 years experience coding but only 6 months recently. I finished my Assc. Degree and passed by CPC in December. Most of the places I've checked with want at least 2 years current experience. Wish I had better news.

Thank you for the news. All information helps. Good luck to you, also.

luckycharmsu in san diego, California

72 months ago

What is the easiest way to calculate extensive amounts of time for Critical Care?

clneal in Long Beach, California

72 months ago

Linda Kuai, CCS said: Does anyone here know anything about travel coding? I was offered to do travel coding by Source Corp. They said that they would send me to boot camp for 12 weeks of coding training, since I don't have any coding experience. Then I would have to be willing to travel full-time to wherever they source me out to in the United States. It would require airplane travel, and they would pay all of the traveling expenses. I can go home on the weekends.

Thanks,
Linda Kuai, CCS

My sister is currently a travel coder she's traveled to Ohio, Santa Barbara,Ca
Las Vegas, and Northern California. I thought that was a wonderful opportunity to travel different states and cities across the United States... She thought so to.. The upside you're able to meet different people...Etc, The downside.. You miss your family especially if you have kids.. Luckily her daughter is in college and she has more time to travel. The pay is great!! she says but eventually she would like to settle with one employer .. Because can experience burn out as well as loneliness out there in a different city or state.

linda kuai in Franklin, Tennessee

72 months ago

Linda, please e-mail me at electrabrown@ymail.com, to decuss this company.

Marcel in Fredericksburg, Virginia

72 months ago

Thanks,
Linda Kuai, CCS

Hi Linda,

I am very interested in travel coding. Could you email me the contact information for SOURCECORP and some info about their bootcamp. I am about to sign up for a coding course but bootcamp training may be a better option. I really appreciate your help. This is my email: noriegamarcela@yahoo.com

Thank you so much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

coeur nana in Clinton, Mississippi

71 months ago

Thanks,
Linda Kuai, CCS

In regard to the "boot camp", do you know if this is a paid training? I am interested in becoming a travel coder but am not sure how I could afford to not work in order to do the boot camp.

AHIMA vs AAPC

71 months ago

Hello Everyone,

Of the two is either medical coding designation better than the other as far as employeers are concerned? Are there advantages to being certified through both entities?

Cheers,

Nik

Elizabeth in Seattle, Washington

70 months ago

Anybody have any luck with getting travel coding lately? I'm particularly looking at HCC/ICD-9 coding. I'm certified (CPC) and have experience.

Thanks!

re: Travel Coding

70 months ago

What is HCC coding?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cyndey in Roseville, California

69 months ago

Hi my name is Cyndey and I am intrested in more information in this kind of a career. I would appricate it if you could contact me at your eariest convience at I am in school for billing and coding medical administration. Thanks for all your help in advance. Cyndey

Lorraine W. in Connersville, Indiana said: While I cannot--repeat cannot--speak for SourceCorp, I can tell you that after working for three different contracting firms, none of them sent me home on weekends. The reason for this is that most facilities want to get a 'feel' for how the coder fits into the department (if it's a longterm assignment, ie, over 1 month) before they start paying for trips home. Yes, it is actually the facility that is paying for the flights when you work for a firm that 'pays upfront'.

I worked 7 contracts over the course of one year, and only one allowed me to go home after a week. Most had me stay at least 3 weeks before I was allowed to return home, and after that, it was every 2 wks.

Burn-out is a very real consideration for traveling coders. Some have no problem with it, for others it is too much. My typical schedule:

S--fly, check in
M-F--work
S--veg out in hotel/drive around/OT
S--same as Saturday
M-F--work
S--fly home
S--fly out

Cyndey H

68 months ago

Thanks,
Linda Kuai, CCS

I am highly intrested in this kind of work, exactly what it intells and how often do you get to go home? Where do you get to go? What kind of pay to you recieve? This sounds very exciting and I am truly intrested if you would be so kind as to reply to my questions that would be fabulous. Thanks for your time.

Kris Leitz in Sarasota, Florida

68 months ago

Considering that most travel positions would be in facilities (i.e. hospitals), I am sure that the certification that they are going to require is the CCS which covers certification in both inpt and outpt coding.

I would also suggest that you make sure you have some hospital experience before you do travel work. If you can't get a paying job, maybe you can do an externship. If you have done any in-hospital practicums, do like handmaid suggested and see if you can prolong your on-site training.

jessica h nguye in Newport Beach, California

68 months ago

Delores J in North Little Rock, Arkansas said: I to am in process of getting my coding certificate. I have worked on the front end insurance area for 10 years. What kind of salary, benefits are involved in travel coding jobs? thanks dj

how much travel coding salary? Can you give me more information on travel coding and salary and also different certification for these coding.

jessica h nguyen in Newport Beach, California

68 months ago

Can you let me know how much is travel coding salary and many certification of these coding.

jessica nguyen in los angeles, California

68 months ago

cam anyone help me by telled me salary for travel coding and many other cerfication on medical coding. please email me at beyondbeauty2@sbcglobal.net. i am vietnamese woman is looking for information on medical coding.My vietnamese name is Nguyen Hoang Thi Doan Trang. if any vietnamese person can also helped me please email me.Called me Doan Trang

Mossy066

68 months ago

Hello, I am currently considering getting my medical coding certification. I am currently traveling with my husband who is a traveling Occupational Therapist, so we move when he changes contracts, every 13 weeks or so. I will be limited to online schools. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good online schools for medical coding? I have researched several. Just want to make sure I don't miss the boat on a really good school.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gregg in Youngstown, Ohio

68 months ago

I am sure the forum will supply you with a good school but when it comes time to get your certification you can get a free practice exam here.

medicalcodingpro.com

God Bless,
Gregg

nikki in Fresno, California

68 months ago

A good school and professional association is the American Academy of Professional Coders aapc.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mossy066

68 months ago

Are you saying that the AAPC has a school?

nikki in Fresno, California

68 months ago

Thee AAPC offers an online course for medical coding and billing. There some other classes they offer as well. I am currently taking the medical coding course.

Mossy066 in Arlington, Texas

68 months ago

nikki in Fresno, California said: Thee AAPC offers an online course for medical coding and billing. There some other classes they offer as well. I am currently taking the medical coding course.

After all the research I have done, I decided to enroll with Kaplan University. I'll see how it goes.

Thanks for your response.

ltrish26 in Montgomery, Alabama

67 months ago

concal in charleston, South Carolina said: Linda,
Connie

if you know o any travel coding companies or remote coding companies, could you lease send them to my e-mail address.i have my certification and have been coding for 5 years.

thanks so much

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.