ccs examination

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 1543)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

Barb in Caro, Michigan

81 months ago

There is a study guide through AHIMA you can purchase. I just saw that HcPro is conducting a four week online video boot camps for the CCS exam (not CCA). They are a little pricy at 1599.00. You get a 200.00 discount if you order early and have 24 hour web access and an hourly question period every week to ask questions.

The review guides are a must and run around $60.00.

Barb

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Barb in Caro, Michigan

81 months ago

Annie in Merritt Island, Florida said: Thanks for the advice with the Ahima CCS review, and Congratulations on passing! I'll be sitting for the exam in April, and spoke with a person who had just taken the exam who passed as well, and was told there was a focus on audits, electronic records on the multiple choice section. Did you find that to be the case also, or did you find a lot of DRG questions? (DRG's are my weakest area :) ) Thanks for any help!

Annie

Study up on the status modifer codes. C status modifer mean that it is an in patient procedure only.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Yolanda in Auburn, Alabama

81 months ago

drg in greensboro, North Carolina said: 2 days later, i'm starting to feel better...that maybe i'm not such an idiot...although does anyone know how the scoring is done? i've tried to research this but have come up with zilch. Do you get points for getting principal diagnosis or any additional diagnosis...or for getting a diagnosis but in the wrong order with the additional diagnoses. Are inpatient case studies weighted more because they are usually more difficult?

It certainly is nice to know about the curve...=)

GO TO AHIMA.COM

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Yolanda in Auburn, Alabama

81 months ago

Go to AHIMA.COM for all your Q&A

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Rockford, Illinois

80 months ago

I have been coding for 10 years and am trying to psych up to take the CCS. Now I wonder if I should hurry and take the ICD-9 before we begin ICD-10. Is AHIMA going to require another test for ICD-10 certification or are we golden with the ICD-9?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

kim, CPC in West Jordan, Utah

80 months ago

Linda in Rockford, Illinois said: I have been coding for 10 years and am trying to psych up to take the CCS. Now I wonder if I should hurry and take the ICD-9 before we begin ICD-10. Is AHIMA going to require another test for ICD-10 certification or are we golden with the ICD-9?

i don't know about AHIMA, but AAPC is saying that everyone that is certified before the switch over will not have to sit their cert exam again, rather, they have 2 years to pass a 60 question exam on ICD 10. the test is online, non proctored and they are charging $60 for it. again, i don't know what AHIMA is doing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

highaspirer in Hopkins, Minnesota

80 months ago

Hey guys ..but what i know, ICD-10 is gonna be implemented from 2013...so why wait for giving the exam for another 3 yrs ...prob , if one gets certified, gets experience ...it might be easier to switch to ICD- 10

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

techinoc in Los Angeles, California

80 months ago

Kate75 in WeHo, California said: CCA
-Health data, health record, HIPAA, legal aspect for healthcare, pathophysiology, anatomy & physiology 70%
-Coding questions is around 25%. Many questions already have description included in questions, you just have to pick one.
-Multiple Choice only
-Passing score is 55/90

CCS
Part 1
-Pharmacology, anatomy & physiology, DRG (many questions), legal & regulations, pathophysiology
-Coding conventions & guidelines for example which type of hernia repair can used mesh code. You must read a lot of coding guideline and practice coding exercise as much as possible
-60 minutes/60 multiple choices. You don't have much time, so try to answer all questions on time.
-Passing score is 32/50

Part 2
13 inpatient and outpatient cases. 3 hours. You have around 13 minutes/case, a lot of people connot finish this part on time. They will give you the booklet and you will have to enter code on computer, Some case has 20-40 pages, you need to read fast and assign the codes correctly.

If you don't understand the question, just skip it and come back to do later if time permit. Do not spend too much time on single question. Part II is very hard and stressful. You need to be calm.
-Passing score for Part II is 221 out of 230 or 65%

You need to score at least 65% on Part 1 & 2 to pass CCS exam

thanks, Kate, your info was really helpful. Im taking the CCS soemtime this year, I took prep course in 2009 but our instructor didnt mention that anatomy and physiology and pathophysiology were on there. Did you see some questions on those topics on the CCS? Thank you so much. Kat

Liz, CCS in Evanston, Illinois

79 months ago

Lorraine W in Connersville, Indiana said: While you may certainly attempt the CCS exam, I have met one (1) coder who passed it straight out of school without work experience. The suggestion for the exam is having a minimum of 5 years experience.

How long was your school course? 3 mos? 6 mos? 2 years?

I passed the CCS over my winter break and am sitting early for my RHIT as well. I have no work experience in HIT at all.

I am graduating in May with an AAS in HIT from a comprehensive program at a great college in IL with some great teachers.

If you are in a good school, study hard, and know your stuff, you can pass it. But you really gotta know not just coding but reimbursement!

Liz, CCS in Evanston, Illinois

79 months ago

Linda in Rockford, Illinois said: I have been coding for 10 years and am trying to psych up to take the CCS. Now I wonder if I should hurry and take the ICD-9 before we begin ICD-10. Is AHIMA going to require another test for ICD-10 certification or are we golden with the ICD-9?

As far as I was told, you will NOT need to retest for ICD 10 with AHIMA. Because you are required to maintain your CEUs every 2 years, that would include ICD 10 when that time comes.

Med Teacher Donna in Concord, California

79 months ago

highaspirer in Hopkins, Minnesota said: Hey guys ..but what i know, ICD-10 is gonna be implemented from 2013...so why wait for giving the exam for another 3 yrs ...prob , if one gets certified, gets experience ...it might be easier to switch to ICD- 10

I completely agree. They say it is going to be implemented in 2013, but having been involved in billing and teaching medical insurance for over 25 years, I will believe it when I see it. It may very well be delayed.

Some of you may recall how Medicare was going to require we switch over to the CMS-1500 by April 1 of 2007, I believe. Well, I likewise told my students that I doubted it would happen. And I was correct. Each Friday in their weekly bulletin Medicare confirmed the change until, March 16, two weeks before. They then came out with a bulletin, oops there's a problem and so mandatory use will be postponed. It took another three months before it really went into effect. So again, do get certified now. Who knows then it will really change over.

Linda

79 months ago

Question for anyone who has taken the exam - do you remember what type of cases you coded for part 2 of the exam? I know they break them down by certain types of records, i.e., (I don't remember the figures) such as 2 outpatient, 2 ER, 6 inpatient, etc. Do you remember what type of cases they were such as appy, hernia repair, for the outpatient? OB cases? Cardiac cath? Any specifics you remember would be helpful. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kk in West Hollywood, California

79 months ago

Linda said: Question for anyone who has taken the exam - do you remember what type of cases you coded for part 2 of the exam? I know they break them down by certain types of records, i.e., (I don't remember the figures) such as 2 outpatient, 2 ER, 6 inpatient, etc. Do you remember what type of cases they were such as appy, hernia repair, for the outpatient? OB cases? Cardiac cath? Any specifics you remember would be helpful. Thanks.

6 outpatients and 7 inpatients cases.

Linda

79 months ago

kk in West Hollywood, California said: 6 outpatients and 7 inpatients cases.

KK - I found that information on the numbers - I was more interested in knowing if they were appy cases, cholecystectomy cases, hernia repairs, sepsis cases, fractures, OB-GYN, etc. Do you remember what type of cases you coded?

leo in Culver City, California

79 months ago

I took the test today and it was very hard...but I passed it. YOU only have 60 minutes to answer the first part. You have to be able to read and comprehend one question in 60 seconds. The second part was allright. I do not have any coding experience but I studied very hard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Linda said: KK - I found that information on the numbers - I was more interested in knowing if they were appy cases, cholecystectomy cases, hernia repairs, sepsis cases, fractures, OB-GYN, etc. Do you remember what type of cases you coded?

CCS Help in Havelock, North Carolina

79 months ago

What books or aids did you use to study for the exam? How did you pass without any experience? How many hours a day or months did you spend studying before you took the exam? Thanks for the info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Linda

79 months ago

Leo

what did the cases you coded consist of? I.e. Hernia, appy, cholecystectomy. Any details u can provide.

78 months ago

I would love to email you or meet you to help you out

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

KK in West Hollywood, California

78 months ago

CCS Help in Havelock, North Carolina said: What books or aids did you use to study for the exam? How did you pass without any experience? How many hours a day or months did you spend studying before you took the exam? Thanks for the info.

I recommend CC Workout. I repeated this book 3 times and I tried to practice coding cases as much as possible. I read book around 4 months for CCS exam. They do not allow applicants to access to code books in Part I.

Linda, for coding cases in CCS exam, I didn't remember the detail, all I remember is one cardiology case, one neurology case and one encounter for removal of screws.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

lwilson in Stone Mountain, Georgia

78 months ago

For the 60 multiple choice questions you only studied the CC workout. How did you learn the anatomy, reimbursement, and medical terminology?

KK in West Hollywood, California

78 months ago

For 60 multiple choices, the questions are included pharmacology, A&P, DRG, Insurance etc. I used PRG to review this part.

You also need to know coding guidelines such as which type of hernia repair use mesh code etc.

Linda

78 months ago

leo in Culver City, California said: I would love to email you or meet you to help you out

Leo, you can email me at ljwexpress@aol.com. I would appreciate any information you have about the test.

Donna in San Francisco, California

78 months ago

Leo,
Can I email you too? I am going to be sitting for the CCS test in a couple of weeks.
Thanks,
Donna
donyaelenia@msn.com

Annette McCollough in Chicago, Illinois

78 months ago

Ed in Palatine, Illinois said: How can I successfully pass CCS exam without having any experience in coding? Will studying on my own bring any success?

I finished My Coding classes in Dec/2009, but how do you get experience in medical coding, without taking stateboards exam first, I been in the Medical Field over 20yrs, only had about 6mos of hands on coding. but where I work they will not hire me without taking the States exam, what do I do.

78 months ago

That is my comment and question

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Thank you,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Leo Eleazar in Los Angeles, California

78 months ago

I studied the following book

Professional Review Guide for the CCS Examination, 2010 Edition (Professional Review Guide for the CCS Examinations) by Patricia Schnering (Paperback - Feb. 18, 2010)

Fay Brown

Kim, CPC in Salt Lake City, Utah

78 months ago

Annette McCollough in Chicago, Illinois said: I finished My Coding classes in Dec/2009, but how do you get experience in medical coding, without taking stateboards exam first, I been in the Medical Field over 20yrs, only had about 6mos of hands on coding. but where I work they will not hire me without taking the States exam, what do I do.

it is currently very hard to break into the coding field, it is oversaturated.
everyone wants 2 years experience with a certification. (which can you blame them? they want someone they can trust to do it right) i would suggest looking for a job in medical records, front desk or even billing/follow up and then take that experience and leverage it into a coding position.

it might take awhile, but hang in there, it'll be worth it, its a great field.

78 months ago

Am now in Medical Records, but in the Retrieval Dept, which is just pulling charts, for clinics. I think what am going to do is study very hard, go over everything that I learned in my coding class, and go from there, I really not sure what to do. but I have to try something so I can obtain a coders position.

78 months ago

Where can this book be purchased?

techinoc in Los Angeles, California

78 months ago

Cynthia in Lake City, Florida said: How extensive is the Reimbursement portion of the CCS exam? And, will there be questions generated towards current changes vs past rules and regulations? Where should the focus be? I'm using the 2008 CCS Coding Exam Review author Carol J. Buck, Marilyn Rasmussen, Deborah Neville and Judith Neppel.

I took the exam yesterday, I missed it by 10 points, I passed the multiple choice, passed inpatient, but failed the Amubulatory coding, if I had practiced more in CPT coding, I know I would have passed. I saw a few DRG questions, asked what conditon would get the DRG higher, and what to do if claim gets rejected, one anatomy question, one about hepatitis, one drug question. I will try to remeber more later.

nat516

77 months ago

Does someone have any review guides to sell to me?

thanks

77 months ago

send me your e-mail

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

donnah in San Francisco, California

77 months ago

leo in Culver City, California said: I would love to email you or meet you to help you out

Hi Leo.
I am at donyaelenia@msn.com. I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks.
Donna

wella in Dublin, California

77 months ago

Hi guys!

I studied Medical Insurance Billing/Coding in Adult School for 6 months,2009.I learned basics of coding,billing,rules of hipaa and hcpcs..Its way too short to get this done. And so i endroll to online class again and will took me a year until i get my diploma.My question is:Which is more beneficial for me; a frEsh graduate no job experience at all, should i take CCS? I want to get certified and I'm very serious to get a job in the future,,
Your'e advice and tips is higly appreciated, Thanks!!!

77 months ago

It is recommended that you have at least 2 or 3 years coding experience before taking the exam.
In my case I took it after taking a Coding Course and passed the exam. If you study hard and focus
on the topics covered by the exam you will pass.. Send me your email.

wella in Dublin, California

77 months ago

Leo Eleazar in Los Angeles, California said: It is recommended that you have at least 2 or 3 years coding experience before taking the exam.
In my case I took it after taking a Coding Course and passed the exam. If you study hard and focus
on the topics covered by the exam you will pass.. Send me your email.

Hi Leo,
Thanks for your quick reply. Wow!Is that impossible,I dont have job experience at all and how I'm gonna get a job.Anyways my email is wellady2004@yahoo.com

You said you passed after you finished the course? You're a brilliant!!

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah

77 months ago

wella in Dublin, California said: Hi Leo,
Thanks for your quick reply. Wow!Is that impossible,I dont have job experience at all and how I'm gonna get a job.Anyways my email is wellady2004@yahoo.com

You said you passed after you finished the course? You're a brilliant!!

I agree that a CCS right out of school is difficult, but if you stufy, you should be able to pass the CCS-P, which is just outpatient/physician based. it will open doors to do doctors office coding, then you could work your ways up to inpatient and sit for your CCS.

I have known of many people who study hard and pass the CCS-P without job experience.

nat516

77 months ago

Hi Leo,

Just wanted to know where you took your coding course.

If you passed right away it must have been a very good one.

thanks

Diana in San Antonio, Texas

77 months ago

Annie in Millington, Michigan said: The CCS is a better credential in that the test is much harder so it is often viewed as more of an "expert" credential. The exam only has a 60-65% pass rate. The CPC exam is fairly easy by comparison which is why schools are able to have high pass rates after 6 months.

BUT--there are coders who only have a CPC who are great coders, so just because someone has the CPC credential does not mean they are not good at coding. We prepped for the CCS and CCS-P in my HIT program and it is a very hard test--and expensive.

NOT true. The CPC has gotten very hard and the chances of getting a job are not easy either without experience. In comparison to CCS, 50/50.

mellowcoder in Dallas, Texas

76 months ago

I was very fortunate to be chosen as part of an AHIMA recognized, in house coding education program at Baylor Health Care System. There I had 6 months of full time intensive education that would ultimately prepare me to sit for the CCA certification exam and go on to a place me as a Medical Coder within the organization. We are required to give 2 years employment and obtain the certification within those two years. I did not have Medical Billing/Coding experience prior to this but a bachelor's degree in business management and one year as administrator of a non-profit mental health clinic. I graduated the coding program in September 09, and began working outpatient charts at one of the hospitals. After 6 months of working I decided to study and attempt to bypass the CCA and take the CCS. I went to a local chapter of AHIMA and registered for a review course (1 day). Then I studied for about 2 months and last month I took and passed the CCS. This was in no way an easy test. In fact, I was surprised to find that I passed, as I was very unsure leaving that testing center. I passed with the equivelent of probably a high C, but never the less, I did it. Now, my coworker, who has been coding at this facility for over 7 years just recently took the CPC-H last week and she did NOT pass. This was a shock to me, given her experience and the assumption I had that the CPC-H was easier (100% multiple choice, open book exam.) The only theory I can come up with is that my success is a direct result of having gone through the coding program less than a year ago where I had obtained knowledge on all areas of competency (A&P, med.term, reimbursement, HIM,inpatient and outpatient coding). This is important because where I lack in experience, I have FRESH knowledge on hand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

dgwilson50@*****.*** in San Antonio, Texas

76 months ago

I am so glad you made it! I have a CPC certification and the exam has gotten harder. I give classes to help prepare students to pass with good success.

I do have a curious question. Is it true that you are not allowed to make notes in your coding books for the CCS exam?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mellowcoder in Dallas, Texas

76 months ago

No, that is not true. In fact it is more flexible than the CPC-H in that you can tape/write anything in your books. As long as the proctor can hold the book up and shake it without anything falling out, you can have it in the book. BUT you can ONLY have your books on the coding part of the exam. Honestly, I ONLY used my book to look up codes. I did not have time to do anything else! Congrats on your certification too!

jj in Palacios, Texas

76 months ago

I just received the 2010 Professional Review Guide so as to begin studying for the CCS exam. I can honestly say I was totally overwhelmed when I opened the book! I have been coding in a critical access hospital for 8 years. We only have an emergency department and provide ambulatory services. The section on medical billing and reimbursement was too much for me! I'm not quite sure how you learn all of this information when so much of it is already set up in our chargemaster. We don't use CPT codes that often either....sutures, splints, typical things seen in an emergency dept. Any suggestions about studying for this exam?

Joan in Anderson, South Carolina

76 months ago

Please tell me if I am crazy.....I've been at stay-home-mom for 10 years. I worked in corp. world for many years before that and my strong point was always data management. I am detail oriented and analytical. I want to get into the health care field (in which I have no experience or education). I work better with information so I came across info on the coding field. I'm looking at taking some classes at greenville tech to get CMC certified. Any suggestions from anyone?

76 months ago

Also, can someone please explain the difference between AHIMA and AAPC? The certifications are different it seems.

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah

76 months ago

Joan in Anderson, South Carolina said: Also, can someone please explain the difference between AHIMA and AAPC? The certifications are different it seems.

not sure what a CMC certification is, so I am no help there.

The only real difference between AHIMA and AAPC are the certifications that they offer. Both are excellent organizations with certifications that are nationally recognized.

depending on what you want to do in your coding career depends on which certification to get.

i don't know what program you are wanting to take, whether it is a degree or a certificate.

Generally speaking, AHIMA is the organization if you want to do inpatient/facility coding or work in a HIM dept. All but one of their certs are inpatient.

AAPC is more of the outpatient/physicians office certifications, plus they offer the only auditing cert and speciality certs as well.

knowing your school plans and your eventual career goal would help me know which advice to give.

76 months ago

"depending on what you want to do in your coding career depends on which certification to get." --- I'm in info overload.....what are the options? Do you mean if I want to work in a Dr. office or hospital? I'm not really sure....what would I base that decision on?

"i don't know what program you are wanting to take, whether it is a degree or a certificate." --- probably certificate, I don't have 2 years or more and I want to do it all on-line.

Will this help you help me? :) I so appreciate any advice. I feel strongly that this is the career path I should take I just need to decide what my focus will be.

I'm waiting for a call back from the local hospital to find out what certifications they look for when hiring.

Thanks!

76 months ago

Has anyone here done the complete CPC education on-line thru AAPC? And if so, did you pass the exam? What about anyone starting out with no medical background?

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.