How do I distinguish what is relevant when I code a record

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Allison in Raleigh, North Carolina

88 months ago

I am studying for my CCS-P exam. I am having trouble in sifting through the codes to decide which are imporatant to the patients visit. Its not the actual coding, just the distinguishing of important codes other than the reason for the visit. Please help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Simone in Elliott, Mississippi

85 months ago

Allison in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I am studying for my CCS-P exam. I am having trouble in sifting through the codes to decide which are imporatant to the patients visit. Its not the actual coding, just the distinguishing of important codes other than the reason for the visit. Please help!

Hey Allison,
Im studying for my CCS exam and hope to take it within the next month or so. A good tip is to pay attention to they type of medication that they are presently on...that could give you some complications to look out for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Deb in Marion, North Dakota

79 months ago

If it's not pertinent to the visit, it wouldn't be coded.

Elle in Fort Wayne, Indiana

79 months ago

Allison in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I am studying for my CCS-P exam. I am having trouble in sifting through the codes to decide which are imporatant to the patients visit. Its not the actual coding, just the distinguishing of important codes other than the reason for the visit. Please help!

Allison,

I took the CCS-P exam & passed it on my first try.

Two things helped me (aside from years of experience): 1.) if you can find a study guide, do the mock exam to prepare yourself (sounds like what you're already doing, maybe?) 2.) READ the instructions carefully. Don't lose sight of the intent of the question.

I got caught up in coding all the procedures that were done, I didn't realize that they wanted what procedures the PHYSICIAN could bill for. In a hospital, they don't bill for stuff like labs, meds, radiology, etc.

Good luck!

Tak531 in Columbia, South Carolina

21 months ago

Has anyone taken or know anyone who has taken the CCS-P this year?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.