need advice please - RHIT exam

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 1722)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Theresa in Round Lake, Illinois

78 months ago

I graduated from college in 2005 in health information technology and due to family problems, I had to put aside taking the RHIT exam. Now, 2 1/2 years later, I wanted to persue it. But most of the stuff I learned, including the coding part, might be obsolete now. I need advice on what to do. Do I go back and get another associate in HIT and start over again or can I just buy the new editions of the books I used when I was studying to study for the RHIT exam? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lorraine W. in Connersville, Indiana

77 months ago

Theresa in Round Lake, Illinois said: I graduated from college in 2005 in health information technology and due to family problems, I had to put aside taking the RHIT exam. Now, 2 1/2 years later, I wanted to persue it. But most of the stuff I learned, including the coding part, might be obsolete now. I need advice on what to do. Do I go back and get another associate in HIT and start over again or can I just buy the new editions of the books I used when I was studying to study for the RHIT exam? Thanks!

If you kept your notes, I would definitely read them all again. Yes, you might want to renew the books you had--coding manuals and Faye Brown if you had that (a great resource, by the way).

I waited over a year after graduation to take the RHIT exam. I got all my notes together and read them and all my text books. Other people I knew (who took it right away) had consulted an RHIT prep book; unfortunately, I don't know the title, but it would be a good thing to research online (or through the school you attended).

If there is anyone who can help you prepare (ie, quizzing you), sign them up!

Good luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dar in Mchenry, Illinois

77 months ago

Theresa in Round Lake, Illinois said: I graduated from college in 2005 in health information technology and due to family problems, I had to put aside taking the RHIT exam. Now, 2 1/2 years later, I wanted to persue it. But most of the stuff I learned, including the coding part, might be obsolete now. I need advice on what to do. Do I go back and get another associate in HIT and start over again or can I just buy the new editions of the books I used when I was studying to study for the RHIT exam? Thanks!

Hi Theresa, Like you I also graduated in 2005 we may have even been in the same classes if you went to CLC. I am also planning on taking my exam in June. Advice I got from a HIM Interim Manager we had at work was to get the new Professional Review guide for the exam (Thompson), Merida Johns Health Information Management An applied Approach 2nd edition (alot of the question in the study guide reference this book, I found mine on Ebay you can also find it on Half.com). Also review all your old tests, exams from classes and read up on the coding guidelines. From what I understand because we use no books for the exam and the coding answers are incorporated into the questions, this study tip has been expressed to me a great deal from numerous people and managers. Contact me maybe we can get together and study. I have another friend who is also trying to do the same thing, she graduated in 2006 I believe. creativ01@comcast.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tonya in Chicago, Illinois

74 months ago

I'm wondering if anybody knows of an actual class anywhere where you have an instructor that gets you prepared to take the exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Lorraine W in Connersville, Indiana

74 months ago

Tonya in Chicago, Illinois said: I'm wondering if anybody knows of an actual class anywhere where you have an instructor that gets you prepared to take the exam.

What, just a class for the exam? How long ago did you graduate?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lorraine W in Connersville, Indiana

74 months ago

Sorry if I sounded curt...I'm severely sleep deprived.

When my program was in its final weeks, several people arranged to have study groups to prepare for it. I, on the other hand, got a job straight out of school and didn't have the money for the exam fee...so I waited. A year. I spent 3 days going through every book, test, and handwritten note from my 2-year program. The biggest hurdle is overcoming the anxiety associated with the test, so long as you kept good notes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

lindsey in Winnipeg, Manitoba

72 months ago

Tonya in Chicago, Illinois said: I'm wondering if anybody knows of an actual class anywhere where you have an instructor that gets you prepared to take the exam.

Santa Barbara City College has a prep class

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cristina in Cincinnati, Ohio

72 months ago

I have also graduated back on 2005, and due to family issues, I did not take the exam right away. I am preparing now with a professional review guide but from 05, and also have the coding books for 2008. Please if you any other suggestions that will help to pass this test, they are really apprecited it. Thanks a lot

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Christina in Frederick, Maryland

71 months ago

Hello,
I had let my RHIT certifcation lapse due to many various issues in my life and now its been about 20 years since I graduated. I have however been working in acute care hospitals, managed care and long term care and have kept current with the coding. Reading the AHIMA website and taking to new graduates, they are all recommending that you get the latest Professional Review Guide for RHIA and RHIT. I think its about $60. Look on ebay or Amazon. You might also want to contact a school near you that has the program and see if they have a review class that you could attend. Iam taking the test in November 2008 and have read the various textbooks that AHIMA has listed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cristina in Cincinnati, Ohio

71 months ago

Christina
Thank you so much for replying, I am reading my school material, I am also testing my self with the rhit, rhia book but from 05, I will get the one for 08 soon, and I have contacted my school already but their seminar classes are usually on the summer. Wish you the best on your test, and let me know how it when. Good luck to you!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jasmine in College Park, Maryland

71 months ago

I'll Like to take the medical coding exam(icd-9). will someone please tell me what books i need to study for the exam?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Amy in Columbus, Ohio

71 months ago

Cristina in Cincinnati, Ohio said: I have also graduated back on 2005, and due to family issues, I did not take the exam right away. I am preparing now with a professional review guide but from 05, and also have the coding books for 2008. Please if you any other suggestions that will help to pass this test, they are really apprecited it. Thanks a lot

Christina - The Ohio HIMA has just released a new 7 hour RHIT Exam Prep online course. It covers all sections of the exam, you can enter and leave as you wish and can print out the materials if you'd like. It is great review for only $80. Details are on the Ohio Health Information Management Association (OHIMA) website. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cristina

71 months ago

Amy in Columbus, Ohio said: Christina - The Ohio HIMA has just released a new 7 hour RHIT Exam Prep online course. It covers all sections of the exam, you can enter and leave as you wish and can print out the materials if you'd like. It is great review for only $80. Details are on the Ohio Health Information Management Association (OHIMA) website. Good Luck!

Amy;
Thanks for replying, I will getting into the website, the price is not too bad. Thank you so much for the advise, will definately will try that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Christina

71 months ago

Amy-Thanks for the wonderful information. Iam have just signed in to purchase the review material.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cristina

70 months ago

Christina;
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!, I am still reviewing the prg book thank you for the advice this is my week working on statistics fun, I have left reimbursement and coding for the following week. Were the questions for statistics challenging, that is not one of my strengths but I am working on it. Thanks for the update. Take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

miss in Hollywood, Florida

70 months ago

Christina said: Hi Cristina, I took my RHIT exam this past weekend and was successful in passing. The review in the 2008 was very comprehensive. I dont think you will have a problem. Good luck!!

Was the test more like the mock or the questions in the individual test?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cristina in Cincinnati, Ohio

70 months ago

miss in Hollywoo, I am the wrong one, you need to reply to Christina. I am Cristina, like you I am still studying, I hear that by working with the prg we should be fine, but I am also using my notes from school. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

G Michaels in Youngstown, Ohio

70 months ago

If you need a free practice exam go to www.medicalcodingpro.com. Just put in your email and the email program sends it to you instantly. no charge.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

miss in Hollywood, Florida

70 months ago

I have taken the mock and made a 94 out of the prg I can make about a 90 on each test. My fear is there will be question on the RHIT that are not on the prg. Those that have taken the test do you think I will have any problems?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Christina

70 months ago

miss in Hollywood, Florida said: I have taken the mock and made a 94 out of the prg I can make about a 90 on each test. My fear is there will be question on the RHIT that are not on the prg. Those that have taken the test do you think I will have any problems?

Hello Miss in Hollywood,
If you are scoring that well in the PRG and the mock tests you will definitely score higher than a 79. I found both of those practice tools much harder than the actual test. I was scoring 85 on the PRG and only about 80 on the mock and I received a score of 102 on the real. Dont read too much into the question, eliminate the answers that are not possible and use common sense, you will be fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

kamikea in Charlotte, North Carolina

69 months ago

Hello everyone My name is Kamille and Iam a college student looking to go into the field of HIT. I really feel this field is a great fit for me, but the more I look around just to see what kind of jobs are availible the more I see most companies looking for experienced coders or RHIT's when I gradute I won't have hardly any expericence. How much will that hurt me and is it best just to look into to something else. Do you think I will have a hard time finding a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lellerbrock1 in Denver, Colorado

69 months ago

kamikea in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Hello everyone My name is Kamille and Iam a college student looking to go into the field of HIT. I really feel this field is a great fit for me, but the more I look around just to see what kind of jobs are availible the more I see most companies looking for experienced coders or RHIT's when I gradute I won't have hardly any expericence. How much will that hurt me and is it best just to look into to something else. Do you think I will have a hard time finding a job?

I don't think so. I am always seeing jobs in physician's offices, hospitals etc. I'm currently in the program to become an R.H.I.T., and although I have no experience, i am applying at my local hospital to become a registrar. That way i can get my foot in the door and 'move over' to my coding or medical records position upon graduation. Don't be frustrated because you could end up going into a field like medical assisting where they are just pumping out graduates constantly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lori Alavarez in North Platte, Nebraska

69 months ago

I graduated about 2 1/2 years ago and was so burned out from school and so afraid of failure that I never sat for my RHIT exam. Now I am told at work that I need to sit for it in the next 6 months. I have the 2006 PRG, do you think that I should order the new PRG book? Are most of you AHIMA members? If so do you find good study guides on their website? Any help or suggestions would be greatfully appreciated. I have enjoyed reading all of your comments. Nice to see that there are others in the same boat. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cristina in Cincinnati, Ohio

69 months ago

Lori,
I am just in the same situation, that you are in now, I did graduated on 2005, I am preparing rigth now, like you I do have the edition from prg but is from 05, I do see the difference with 08, because it is an updated version in the way questions are kind of the same but different in a way, I am reviewing my notes from school, and also taking the tests that are being offered for practice. I was not an Ahima member, but I think it helps you in a way, becuase like you and I, there are several people there that are in the same situation, and for what I have been reading they strongly suggest the prg 08, there have been a couple from the comments that have passed the exam, just by reviewing the prg 2008. I hope it helps. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cat in Pensacola, Florida

69 months ago

Just a quick piece of advice. You cannot use old books for study or coding. New updates are done every Oct 1 for ICD-9 and Jan for CPT and HCPS. And of course CMS is constantly changing rules and regulations. There have been a lot of changes since 2005, in the coding field things are constantly on the move. So spend the money and buy an updated study book, you will be glad you did

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

G Michaels in Youngstown, Ohio

69 months ago

If you have seen any of my previous post you know that I am trying to help as many coders, or aspiring coders, as I can. I agree with getting the updated version of the codes but not the big price tag! I will be making down loadable copies of ICD-9-CM vol 1,2,3 very soon for very cheap so if you do not need a bound version keep checking our website. www.medicalcodingpro.com. Also, the time is running out on the 150 question CPC Practice exam at $19.99. It will be going to $27 very soon so get it while you can (or join the aapc site for $300 and get it-:). You all have spent enough money already....its time to save some! Pass it on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

G Michaels in Youngstown, Ohio

69 months ago

Forgot to mention.....a FREE 20 question practice exam just for sign up for our mailing list...... and more free stuff to come!

www.medicalcodingpro.com

All the best,
Gregg

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cat in Pensacola, Florida

69 months ago

That would be great if you were allowed to bring in loose papers to the testing sites, but since you are not. A book is what you need as there is no encoder either. And in the book you can write all kinds of notes about the test and what might be on it plus codes you might need, as long as it is in the coding book they don't care, just no loose paper not even to tab a section for youself, but you can always bend the pages.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lori A in North Platte, Nebraska

69 months ago

Cat in Pensacola, Florida said: That would be great if you were allowed to bring in loose papers to the testing sites, but since you are not. A book is what you need as there is no encoder either. And in the book you can write all kinds of notes about the test and what might be on it plus codes you might need, as long as it is in the coding book they don't care, just no loose paper not even to tab a section for youself, but you can always bend the pages.

What exactly can you take in with you into the exam? I thought that no books were allowed? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Annie in Millington, Michigan

68 months ago

No, you don't take any books in for the RHIT exam!!! The previous poster was most likely referring to a coding exam (CPC). Here is a link to an online RHIT mock exam:

web.alfredstate.edu/him/mockrhit.htm

It is helping me as I study, and I also think it would help someone who is thinking of getting an RHIT because it shows the core competencies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dorothy in Linden, Michigan

68 months ago

Hi Annie,
Nice to know someone near is working toward the same goal. I am currently working toward my Associates in HIM with SJC online. Their credits are only $40. a credit. Email me jdathompson1@gmail.com and maybe we can study or share info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

G. Michaels in Youngstown, Ohio

68 months ago

Hi all, if you need a free practice exam to help study go to www.medicalcodingpro.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

lellerbrock1 in Denver, Colorado

68 months ago

Dorothy in Linden, does SJC stand for San Juan College? I have been looking at transferring over to that college so i can afford to get my degree. If so, how many classes have you taken there, what are your thoughts on the way the classes are designed and do you have to use a proctor for every quiz and test? Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Annie in Millington, Michigan

68 months ago

Dorothy in Linden, Michigan said: Hi Annie,
Nice to know someone near is working toward the same goal. I am currently working toward my Associates in HIM with SJC online. Their credits are only $40. a credit. Email me jdathompson1@gmail.com and maybe we can study or share info.

I will email you soon! I actually passed my RHIT exam yesterday :-) I felt very prepared, so I must have either tudied well or lucked out, lol! I am amazed at the credit hour cost of your HIT program--what school is it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lellerbrock1 in Denver, Colorado

68 months ago

Congratulations on your success with the exam! When you have a free moment, would you mind sharing where you went to school and what the cost was? We'd also love to hear about where you get hired etc., when it comes time!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Annie in Millington, Michigan

68 months ago

lellerbrock1 in Denver, Colorado said: Congratulations on your success with the exam! When you have a free moment, would you mind sharing where you went to school and what the cost was? We'd also love to hear about where you get hired etc., when it comes time!

Sure :-) I went to Davenport University and I took a combination of online and in-seat classes. I had a great education, but it was very expensive ($400/credit hour, yikes!) and I would not do it again. I picked it because it was the closest CAHIM program at the time and because they offered the RHIA program as well (I don't think they have the BS program now.)

I had great teachers but the administration was awful--disorganized, misinformed and downright rude at times. For $400 an hour I'd expect to have better staffing, ugh. But I was hired right out of school to do data collection. I liked the work enough, but I also knew I wanted to work in the inpatient setting. Last month I was hired at a hospital as an ROI Technician. I love it and I also like that the last few coders have been promoted from ROI. They require the HIT degree and RHIT eligibility for the job at a minimum.

I was a very good student (4.0) but I had to work for it--it wasn't like I just showed up now and then and got good grades, lol! It is paying off, though, because many of my co-workers are RHIT or RHIA (within the whole department), and there is a knowledge base people just expect you to have.

I am not making anywhere near $20 an hour, but it is a start and I have realistic that it will probbaly take a couple of years to move ahead. I know I'm in the right place, though!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dorothy in Linden, Michigan

68 months ago

Hi Annie,

Congratulations on your success! Glad to know you were able to get in some where with your degree. Did Davenport (in Flint?) help you or was this done on your own?

Can you give us some advice on what to expect on the exam?

I also looked into Davenport, but I thought their credits were outrageous. I went with San Juan College online for my Associates. I plan to attend to a local college for my Bachelors. Maybe you can send me a listing of the books they used for their courses at jdathompson1@gmail.com.

Again, Congratulations!!!!!

Bty, how did you get your results so soon?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dorothy in Linden, Michigan

68 months ago

Your Right!!!!

Great info. Thank You!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dorothy in Linden, Michigan

68 months ago

Dorothy in Linden, Michigan said: Your Right!!!!

Great info. Thank You!!!!!

Referring to web.alfredstate.edu/him/mockrhit.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Annie in Millington, Michigan

68 months ago

Dorothy in Linden, Michigan said: Hi Annie,

Congratulations on your success! Glad to know you were able to get in some where with your degree. Did Davenport (in Flint?) help you or was this done on your own?

Can you give us some advice on what to expect on the exam?

I also looked into Davenport, but I thought their credits were outrageous. I went with San Juan College online for my Associates. I plan to attend to a local college for my Bachelors. Maybe you can send me a listing of the books they used for their courses at jdathompson1@gmail.com.

Again, Congratulations!!!!!

Bty, how did you get your results so soon?

I took the exam at a Prometric testing site and they print out the results right after you finish--I thought I was going to pass out while I waited, lol! I think that if you take the exam at different times of the year you can't get your results right away--it depends on the version of the test (if it has been administered enough to make sure there aren't any errors). At least, that's what the AHIMA site says.

I got both of my jobs on my own, I have to say that Davenport was no help at all in that way. I originally thought it was smart to go with a local college for job search assistance, but that ended up not being true. I can email my study list if you want--it was an assignment for my HIT practicum class and it lists every domain of study and what book I used.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dorothy in Linden, Michigan

68 months ago

Thanks, that would be great if you could send me your list. So, it looks like it was perfect timing for you to take your test. Good for you! :-)
Hope your happy in your new position along with excellent coworkers.
Take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Annie in Millington, Michigan

68 months ago

Dorothy in Linden, Michigan said: Thanks, that would be great if you could send me your list. So, it looks like it was perfect timing for you to take your test. Good for you! :-)
Hope your happy in your new position along with excellent coworkers.
Take care.

I just emailed it :-)

As far as what to expect on the exam, that mock exam that I posted was right on the mark. I was suprised that there were so few coding questions, but the ones that were included were much more difficult than the ones on the CPT exam. There were a lot of calculations (occupancy rates, file space, autopsy rates, etc) and a lot of privacy/ROI/JCAHO stuff.

I found that you really have to read the questions all the way through to make sure you get what they're asking. You don't get to use any books, or even pencil and paper, but you do get a dry erase board and marker to use for scratch "paper". It was a little embarassing when I squeaked my marker, lol!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cp122578 in Meridian, Mississippi

68 months ago

I took my first three semesters, and then I went back to work for two years. I just completed the last semester, and I am studying to take the exam. I had a local studdy buddy, but she decided not to take the exam because it had been about three years since she graduated. I have bought the 2008 PRG, but the 2009 now is out, and I don't know if I need to go ahead and buy it also. Does anyone know when they start basing the test on the newest study guide? Is it as of Jan 1st?

My study budding and I put together a review PowerPoint on statistics, and information systems, and I have posted them on my website (www.medicalcodingresources.com) under the tab titled "studybuddy". I want the site to be for students to help students, so if anyone has anything that I can post that will help others study, please send it to me throught the website.

I also purchased the newest versions of Health Information Mange: Management of a Strategic Reourse, by Abdelhak, and the RHIT text by Johns put out by AHIMA, and the 2009 Faye Brown Coding Handbook. Does anyone have any specific suggestions of what to concentrate on? Has anyone taken the exam this year?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

cp122578 in Meridian, Mississippi

68 months ago

Lorraine W in Connersville, Indiana said: What, just a class for the exam? How long ago did you graduate?

When my mother taught in a RHIT program, she always had review sessions in the summer after graudation, but no one does that now. The state associate had a one day review a couple of years ago, but they don't even do that now. It cost $100.00, and I am not sure a 1 day review would have been worth $100.00 You might want to check with your state associate, and see what they offer.

I was told that the Alfred College site was good, but I found that the coding test were not updated. It is just a bunch of test you can take, it does not actually review the material, and it cost $25.00

Cathy P Meridian, MS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cp122578 in Meridian, Mississippi

68 months ago

Cat in Pensacola, Florida said: That would be great if you were allowed to bring in loose papers to the testing sites, but since you are not. A book is what you need as there is no encoder either. And in the book you can write all kinds of notes about the test and what might be on it plus codes you might need, as long as it is in the coding book they don't care, just no loose paper not even to tab a section for youself, but you can always bend the pages.

Are You talking about the RHIT test? AHIMA's website says you can't take the code book to the test. I am assuming the questions will be like the ones on the PRG 2008 which has some codes to choose from, and you have to chose the right ones in the correct order.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

cp122578 in Meridian, Mississippi

68 months ago

Annie in Millington, Michigan said: Sure :-) I went to Davenport University and I took a combination of online and in-seat classes. I had a great education, but it was very expensive ($400/credit hour, yikes!) and I would not do it again. I picked it because it was the closest CAHIM program at the time and because they offered the RHIA program as well (I don't think they have the BS program now.)

I had great teachers but the administration was awful--disorganized, misinformed and downright rude at times. For $400 an hour I'd expect to have better staffing, ugh. But I was hired right out of school to do data collection. I liked the work enough, but I also knew I wanted to work in the inpatient setting. Last month I was hired at a hospital as an ROI Technician. I love it and I also like that the last few coders have been promoted from ROI. They require the HIT degree and RHIT eligibility for the job at a minimum.

I was a very good student (4.0) but I had to work for it--it wasn't like I just showed up now and then and got good grades, lol! It is paying off, though, because many of my co-workers are RHIT or RHIA (within the whole department), and there is a knowledge base people just expect you to have.

I am not making anywhere near $20 an hour, but it is a start and I have realistic that it will probbaly take a couple of years to move ahead. I know I'm in the right place, though!

If you are looking for an online school, I graduated with an A.S from Dakota State University for about $220 a semester. They don't charge out of state tuition, and I like the fact that most of the classes were video taped and uploaded at the end of the day. So you get the experience just like sitting in class. I am starting to take classes toward by B.S this semester. (www.dsu.edu)

cathy Pearson
www.medicalcodingresources.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cat in Pensacola, Florida

68 months ago

No my post is for the CCS exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Donna in Ohio

68 months ago

Theresa in Round Lake, Illinois said: I graduated from college in 2005 in health information technology and due to family problems, I had to put aside taking the RHIT exam. Now, 2 1/2 years later, I wanted to persue it. But most of the stuff I learned, including the coding part, might be obsolete now. I need advice on what to do. Do I go back and get another associate in HIT and start over again or can I just buy the new editions of the books I used when I was studying to study for the RHIT exam? Thanks!

Same thing happened to me. I took a clerical job & put my RHIT exam on the back burner. I am currently reviewing my coding knowledge. Any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Annie in Millington, Michigan

68 months ago

Donna in Ohio said: Same thing happened to me. I took a clerical job & put my RHIT exam on the back burner. I am currently reviewing my coding knowledge. Any suggestions?

My advice is the same as what I wrote above--and to say that I wouldn't delay much longer! I used the 2008 and 2004 PRGs. I was told by an AHIMA rep that it was fine to use a PRG that is a few years old because the RHIT exam is pretty static in terms of the knowledge being tested. I don't think you can do the same for a coding test, but the RHIT is different.

I would be sure to use two study guides (from different years) because I found that after a while I knew all of the questions in the 2008 guide. I bought the 2004 very cheap (w/cd) on Amazon. Oh--be sure to practice with the CD's because the test is electronic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cp122578 in Meridian, Mississippi

68 months ago

My teacher says there is a bank of test questions that AHIMA pulls from, but she never said whether or not buying the older PRG would help. I did read on another discussion board from a person who took the test recently that there were test questions from the 2005 & 2006 PRG on the test.

Cathy Pearson
www.medicalcodingresources.com
cp122578@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.