tumor registry question

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Jenny Horner in Frisco, Texas

34 months ago

Hi all,
Not sure this is the right place. I just graduated with my AAS in HIT, I am sitting for the RHIT exam in December. I have always been interested in the cancer registry field and I was looking at AHIMA's CTR program for the near future. I don't have to do the pre-reqs since I have already taken those. I notice they mention a 160-hr externship required. How would that be possible if I am already working full-time? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

tammyhall in Wylie, Texas

34 months ago

Jenny what school did you attend for HIT, I am in the program at Collin County and I dropped 2 classes. The medical terminology course was too fast and i did not like the way my teacher tought class. What teacher did you have for Medical Terminology and where did you go to school.

tammych@verizon.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Heather in Irving, Texas

34 months ago

How do you like Collin College? I just applied to start my pre reqs this spring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in Frisco, Texas

34 months ago

Hi!
I did graduate from Collin College in August. Tammy - I had the in person Medical Terminology class and I thought it was better. You need to make sure you are taking before it or with it, it's easier to understand it that way. I had Massey for Medical Terminology, it was in person and an easy course. But that was because I was taking Anatomy at the same time and it was making more sense to me. What other class did you drop?
Heather - I really enjoyed the program and would recommend it to anyone. They were growing and working out the kinks last year when they were accredited, but I liked every Professor that I had there. All of them were willing to take the time out to help you, Michelle will even take the time to help you in person, especially for coding. Take advantage of that, as you will definitely need help with coding! My only complaint was I really wish that basic coding wasn't the only blended course. I wish that ambulatory coding and advanced coding wasn't just online, it would have been much better they were both blended as well.

Heather in Irving, Texas

34 months ago

Jenny, what pre reqs would you suggest be taken first? I asked Michelle when I should apply to the program. She let me know that I can apply if I have one class left for summer semester. So, I would need to take 4 this semester and 1 in summer. :/

Jenny Horner in Frisco, Texas

34 months ago

Hi Heather,
When I first started the program it wasn't as competitive as it is now, and I notice there are 5 pre-reqs when before there were 3 - Anatomy, Medical Terminology and Intro to Healthcare. Now it looks like Pathophysiology and Pharmacology are part of the pre-reqs, when for me it was part of the actual program. I took my 3 pre-reqs in the first semester, then started the program right after that. I would take as many as you could. I also want to recommend taking Anatomy in person if you can. I know they offer an online class, but it was much more educational for me at least to go to the in-person class. That's just my opinion :)

Heather in Coppell, Texas

27 months ago

Hi Jenny, just wanted to update you that I finished my first semester at Collin and I love it. You were so spot on with Michelle. She is fantastic. I have completed 4 pre reqs. Now I only need A&P which I am enrolled for that this fall. How has your job hunt been going?hae you found anything in the area?

XYang in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

21 months ago

Jenny-

I know your post was over a year ago... but I wanted to know if you take the AHIMA CTR program already? If so, what's your opinion of the program and the instructors? I'm a RHIT since 2011 and planning to take the AHIMA CTR program sometime in 2013. For the 160 hours, do you have to find a placement yourself or the program does it for you? Any advice will greatly be appreciated. THANK YOU!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.