7 years of Animal Health sales experience - Will a RMSR certification help me get a job in Medical Device Sales?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (20)

PharmaSeattle in Seattle, Washington

43 months ago

I have 7 years’ experience in Animal Health Pharmaceuticals. I have multiple President's Circle awards. So I have a good sales performance background. I sold directly to Veterinarians and want to get in to Medical Device Sales because I like to close and be directly responsible for my performance. I fear Human Pharma sales will not be as good a fit as so much of the decisions are affected by insurance companies.I do not have any experience with Human Pharma or general understanding of the protocols. Would the RMSR be of benefit to me to land a Medical Device Sales job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

organic control in Fort Wayne, Indiana

31 months ago

contact me if your interested in tapping back into the animal health DEVICES market..... My organization is looking for experienced animal health related sales.
organicdiseasecontrol.org

Ben in Peoria, IL

30 months ago

I highly recommend the RMSR as it led to many interviews for me. I waa called many times because of the training.

William in Glendale, CA

29 months ago

I also agree as getting RMSR certifiied was probalby the main reason that I am now working as a medical device sales rep.

Anglena Bhakatari in Columbus, Ohio

17 months ago

I have been looking into the RMSR school and am very excited to hear about this program. Did you need to have previous sales experience to enter the field I did just apply for a job in the industry but have not heard back yet. I understand that it is important to gain medical sales training to best qualify for jobs and meet the basic job requirements. That makes logical sense to me and I am anxious to learn the medical device industry and would not feel comfortable about entering this type of job without it.

Ava Johnsonton I in Lincoln, Nebraska

17 months ago

I get asked all of the time on how to get into medical sales. The best way to figure it out is to go directly to the medical companies and ask how they hire. If you do that you will get answers that are common to what I just heard.

Arthrex is one of the leading Orthopaedic manufacturers in the United States. How do you become an Arthrex rep? Since Arthrex is a manufacturer, you would be a sales representative for them directly. In order to become a sales representative for Arthrex you have to be hired by a distributorship. You can call Arthrex and find out who the local distributorship is in your area and apply with them. Medical Sales positons are very difficult to get and using a recruiter is highly recommended.

Ava Johnsonton I in Lincoln, Nebraska

17 months ago

I also do recommend going into Orthopedic's as it is very profitable and may Orhtopedic Sales reps make more that $250k a year.

John Liuta in St. Charles, Missouri

17 months ago

I've been in devices for 3 years now. Most people are making between $150k-400k. I was hired at a base salary of $70K, but commissions are where you make your money.

My first year I made 130K, my 2nd year I made 160K, and this is my 3rd year...I've done 145K year to date...so I will probably make 190K again....I'm in the middle 50% of the sales force at my company.

We also get a company car, expense account, and pretty much the best quality of life I've ever experienced.

I've often receive job offers to jump ship for 250K guaranteed for 1 year.

I get asked a lot about how to break into the industry. My best advice is to show that you have industry knowledge with some good sales experience or abilities. You really do have to sell in medical sales versus pharmaceutical sales where you typically just drop off samples. There are some good training programs that are a good idea to complete but I do not recommend one over the other.

Also, it is important to understand that Medical sales is very different from pharmaceutical sales. I make a lot more than pharma reps who typically peak out at about $135k a year.

Anyone telling you that pharmaceutical sales reps are similar or the same does not know what they are talking about. I see some blogs saying they are the same, and there could be nothing further from the truth.

17 months ago

The best websites to find Medical jobs is www.medreps.com , www.monster.com and www.healthcarereps.com If you do post your resume you will get calls.

17 months ago

My best advice is to not put your salary requirements in your profile!!!!

17 months ago

Also, please understand that pharmaceutical sales is very different from medical device sales. They are not the same industry. I see these reps all of the time and they do not have the same job I have, all they do is detail doctors. If you see on blogs comparing the 2 do not believe it!!!!!

Marcia Griffith in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

17 months ago

I love being a medical sales rep and I get asked all of the time how did I get into a medical sales rep career?? Its really simple people. I work for a top spinal implant company and used to be a sales rep in the food business. What I did was take the RMSR medical sales training programs because first I wanted to learn about the medical device industry but second I want device companies to know I had medical knowledge. Device companies like these RMSR folks because they have vocational training in the industry. If you are likeable and can hold a conversation and adjust to body language you can get in with a good interview. Understand the 2 basics, sales experience with industry training is what it takes.

Marcia Griffith in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

17 months ago

As far as what companies to work at I personally would go with Biotronik or St Jude as they are 2 companies that are growing market share very rapidly at the moment. Medtronic is a great company and their pay is above that of others.

Marc North II in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

17 months ago

I am a successful DME rep working for one of the top medical companies. The inside scoop is this: First, a medical back ground is pertinent in order to work for a supplier. Second, the good companies are looking for people with excellent presentation skills. Third, you must be a "people person" in order to be successful with a genuine personality. The money is good and I am making approximately $195,000 a year with nine paid holidays and if I am generating the appropriate amount of revenue then my boss actually encourages me to take several vacations per year. Once you prove your value then management wants to keep you happy because where would they be with out reps who actually keep their company afloat?

17 months ago

Most importantly I sell myself and work my relationships. Without knowing the medical device industry or having education and a background in healthcare it is hard to make a transition into this field. Having said that I would lean toward any programs that would teach you the business. Look working in the medical device field has been good for me and I have enjoyed it very much.

17 months ago

Most importantly I sell myself and work my relationships. Without knowing the medical device industry or having education and a background in healthcare it is hard to make a transition into this field. Having said that I would lean toward any programs that would teach you the business. Look working in the medical device field has been good for me and I have enjoyed it very much.

Andy Pittman in Anaheim, California

17 months ago

Hello everyone...making a career transition can be made a lot easier if applicants would just go out and complete some medical sales training. Most medical companies want to hire entry level candidates who have completed medical sales training and show some sales experience. You also have to consider the compensation for an entry level disposable sales rep...you most likely would be moving backwards in $$$$'s. Most first year reps only make between $85k to $120k for their first year.

If you do decide to stay the course and pursue medical sales you need to target medical distributors. They have been known to more likely hire entry level candidates.

Andy Pittman in Anaheim, California

17 months ago

I recommend NAMSR.com or medicalsalescollege.com they both offer "medical sales" training and certifications recognized nationally. That would be a great start to be considered, then I would do a lot of research on the industry, products certain companies in your area offer. It's a competitive field, so start with a resume the includes the medical sales training a STRONG 'brag-book' of achievements and tons of research. If you get called for an interview, you better know the company inside out and show that you've done your 'homework'.

Maggie Rutherford in Fort Wayne, Indiana

9 months ago

This is what Amazon says about the RMSR Medical sales training program: "Probably the best medical sales training book written in the last 20 years! I highly recommend it. Many companies are using it to qualify candidates or train their own reps."

James Ruth in Mcdonough, Georgia

2 months ago

organic control in Fort Wayne, Indiana said: contact me if your interested in tapping back into the animal health DEVICES market..... My organization is looking for experienced animal health related sales.
organicdiseasecontrol.org

I am interested in your O3 products. Can we start an email correspondence?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.