GETTING FOOT IN DOOR IN MEDICAL DEVICE SALES WITH THIS ECONOMY

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

DILLONMKCC in Tennessee

68 months ago

Have 5 years sales experience. I also was a top producer for a fortune 500 company.

Was told(by a 10 yr med rep)3 months ago, that even though I am a great canidate for a 80-100k position,right now, experienced reps have been laid off and will be competing for mid level postions. He advised me to interview entry level bc the tenured reps will not want those postions.

Are experienced reps now competing for entry level jobs as well?

Was initially very confident because of past success in sales, but starting to get frustrated. The interviews I have been on(medium-fortune 500) filled the position with 'experience'. Or that's all I was told.

I have an interview for an associate position(50-60k/year)next week. Figured I wouldnt be going up against an experienced med rep. I'll take what I can get,but I made over 80k at my last position. I am also pushing 30. Time's a wastin' What can I do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Clinical Strategist in Raleigh, North Carolina

68 months ago

Without actual product sales experience it is very unlikely you would be considered a Senior level representative, no matter how successful your previous experience is. There are so many levels to medical sales beyond product knowledge that it really takes a couple of years to gain the right experience. I would suggest you remain open and consider any entry level experience that would teach you the process of medical sales.

Good luck with your search.
elizabeth@clinicalstrategist.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DILLONMKCC in Tennessee

68 months ago

Clinical Strategist in Raleigh, North Carolina said: Without actual product sales experience it is very unlikely you would be considered a Senior level representative, no matter how successful your previous experience is. There are so many levels to medical sales beyond product knowledge that it really takes a couple of years to gain the right experience. I would suggest you remain open and consider any entry level experience that would teach you the process of medical sales.

Good luck with your search.
elizabeth@clinicalstrategist.com

Thank you.
Just talked to a Mngr at Stryker and he said for them, experience isn't required for a lucrative position.I think they are unique though. He also told me that companies who prefer experience are looking at customers brought over from the experienced rep's previous company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Clinical Strategist in Raleigh, North Carolina

68 months ago

You are correct about experience with certain companies. They are looking at your overall sales experience and success. Some companies will try to buy a "book of business" with experienced reps. Everyone goes through training though. My point was that without actual experience you will most likely not be considered a Sr. Representative. Of course there are exceptions to everything. Good luck. If you would like some feedback or guidance on interview techniques you are more than welcome to contact me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.