Medical Labratory Question

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Sandra in Germantown, Maryland

82 months ago

What exactly does one do while practicing medical labratory? can you specialize in this field?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mlt2010

75 months ago

I will be an MLT student this fall 2008. Live in MD. it's a 2 yr program. I did prereq for RN nursing that comprise a lot of the first year.

As far as I understand, MLT's do the testing in the medical labs They test the pt fluids: urine, blood, sputum, cerebral, did i leave any others out? Whats in the fluid that could indicate disease, disorder, is the drug working etc.

You can be looking at the chemistry of the fluid, the microbiologcial aspects-detecting bacteria, viruses, other pathogens. Blood work-the hematocrit, Hb count, imumization factors, coaguability, consistence etc. The effect that drugs are working in the system.

I've just read a third of my introducotory book to lab science to get prepared and to make the work load easier in the fall.

There are 3 chemistry classes to take.

I think I'll enjoy the microbilogy work.

Not alot of pt interaction if at all. That makes me sad. But there are so many injuries these days in nursing and I like medicine so I chose this.

How bout you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mlt2010

75 months ago

Sandra in Germantown, Maryland said: What exactly does one do while practicing medical labratory? can you specialize in this field?

I just posted a reply about what I know MLT to be but I will be starting in the Fall of this year. I'm excited, for the most part

I live in MD too. Are you going to do the program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.