is it worth becoming medical lab technician?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

msrn in Texas

20 months ago

I researched about MTL profession and the job growth for this profession is only 13% which is about average. The salary is not high compared to the amount of schooling and studying. I heard that the hospitals are decreasing the use of MLT due to automation. Then I tried to search for the job but there seems to beonly few job postings. So considering all this, is it worth pursing this profession? or should i consider other profession? Does anyone know what the future of this profession is going to be like in the next few years?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

irsh43 in Elkhart, Indiana

19 months ago

To become Med Lab Tech, you need an Associate of Applied Science Degree Program in Medical Laboratory Technician. There are online MLT programs or depending on where you live, there are community college that offer MLT program. I am a MLT and I work in a hospital setting. Most hospital prefer Medical Technologist over Med Lab Tech. Where I work, MLTs and MTs have the same workload and the only difference is salary. MT gets about $3 more than MLT. Yes, instrumentation has come more automated but you need techs do to Blood Bank, review slides and do maintenance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.