mid-thirties career change into medical lab technician

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

KC in Columbus, Ohio

38 months ago

Hello all,
I'm in my mid-thirties and considering returning to school for a Med Lab Technican associate's degree. I have a master's degree and a job, but am unhappy in my current position and there are no jobs in my field. I was wondering if there are others who have become medical lab technicians coming at it from this non-traditional angle.

I'm particularly interested in med lab tech because it seems that there are actually job opportunities and that I would be able to work second shift (which I prefer) and not bring work home with me. I have no experience in medicine or science. Any suggestions for how to get some experience in this field? I plan to enroll in basic bio and chem classes this spring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

daney21 in Toronto, Ohio

32 months ago

KC in Columbus, Ohio said: Hello all,
I'm in my mid-thirties and considering returning to school for a Med Lab Technican associate 's degree. I have a master's degree and a job, but am unhappy in my current position and there are no jobs in my field. I was wondering if there are others who have become medical lab technicians coming at it from this non-traditional angle.

I'm particularly interested in med lab tech because it seems that there are actually job opportunities and that I would be able to work second shift (which I prefer) and not bring work home with me. I have no experience in medicine or science. Any suggestions for how to get some experience in this field? I plan to enroll in basic bio and chem classes this spring.

If you have no experience in the sciences, I think maybe you should contact a local hospital lab and ask if there is any way you can take a tour or shadow a tech. If you have a lab program in your area, call the program advisor and ask for a tour of the school's lab, and ask for some information. In my experience, older people unfamiliar to the health field do not do well as techs. Currently we have a 50 year old who is new to the profession and she cannot begin to understand most of her job. That doesn't mean you wouldn't make a good tech; you may make a fantastic tech. Some good qualities that techs need are the ability to multitask, especially on off shifts; reasoning ability, willing to go above and beyond to help your coworkers. I absolutely love my profession, but its definitely not for everyone. If you have an analytic mind, organization, and love learning new things, then give it a look.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.