Considering and MLT programme, but have one concern.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Bruce in Denver, Colorado

46 months ago

I am thirty something and going go back to school. While reading about various occupations, Medical Laboratory Technician peaked my interest. I have noticed though, some vaccinations and immunisations are required before admission to a couple of schools. I would like to know if employers also require their MLTs to be shot up. Thanks for your answers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

candy100@cfl.rr.com in Cocoa, Florida

46 months ago

Bruce in Denver, Colorado said: I am thirty something and going go back to school. While reading about various occupations, Medical Laboratory Technician peaked my interest. I have noticed though, some vaccinations and immunisations are required before admission to a couple of schools. I would like to know if employers also require their MLTs to be shot up. Thanks for your answers.

I went back to school for MLT in my late 30's. Complete the program and have been employed since.

46 months ago

candy100@cfl.rr.com in Cocoa, Florida said: I went back to school for MLT in my late 30's. Complete the program and have been employed since.

That is really good news. Does your employer require you to be vaccinated?

KHB in Huntsville, Alabama

46 months ago

I'm currently enrolled in an MLT program and all of our vaccinations were optional (although they are a good idea). I would think the hospital are the same way. Many people in the program are in their late 20s-30s. I am 23 and I am the youngest one.

46 months ago

KHB in Huntsville, Alabama said: I'm currently enrolled in an MLT program and all of our vaccinations were optional (although they are a good idea). I would think the hospital are the same way. Many people in the program are in their late 20s-30s. I am 23 and I am the youngest one.

There we are. You are fortunate to have had the choice. There is only one school in Denver that offers an Associates of Medical Laboratory Technician and it is stated on the website that multiple vaccines are mandatory for admission to the programme, but I will see if there is anyway around it. Well, anyway, thanks for your reply.

Rathana in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

46 months ago

Bruce, There are exemption papers you probably can find out about. I am recently in a CLT program in PA. I signed a religious exemption form. The form should also be good for employers too. Look into it. I had a friend that was allergic to eggs and never had to get any shots. Good luck.

46 months ago

I was hoping that would be an option. I think that is the route I will take. Thank you for the response.

Angela in Slaton, Texas

42 months ago

hey everyone-I'm currently considering a program for MLT-I belive that there clincals are 6 months long, but I'm a little concerned about not finding a job after my schooling and was wondering for those you have been MLT's for awhile, what can I do to strengthen my resume while in the program-keep in mind, I have limited time I work 40-50 hours a week right now and am going to school for an enviromental science degree thanks..in addition would prefer a slow paced enviroment once I do get a job, any recommendations for that, I don't mind working swing and night shift I actually prefer that thanks..

maria in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

39 months ago

Rathana in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Bruce, There are exemption papers you probably can find out about. I am recently in a CLT program in PA. I signed a religious exemption form. The form should also be good for employers too. Look into it. I had a friend that was allergic to eggs and never had to get any shots. Good luck.

Did you complete your course? how is the job market in philly? I'm from nyc mlt is less desirable.

Labtechy in Parkville, Maryland

37 months ago

I'm in Maryland and most of the MLT or MT jobs are only part time or PRN (on call). It seems like alot of hospitals hire students right from clinicals if they like you, but if you do not get hired during clinicals, you might have to start out working at a part time job, then move up to full time when an opening comes up. Many MLTs or MTs take on two part time jobs until a full time job opens. MTs are much more desirable here and almost all job listings require either a BA degree or an Associates with 5 years experience. That being said, do your research before you go for the BA degrees because MTs do not make alot of money($35-55K/ year) for all of the schooling they go through when compared to other hospital workers that only need an Associates degree (nurses, radiation therapy, and dental hygienist= $45-65K per year). However, if you can take the pay cut, most MTs and MLTs love their jobs, and do not have to deal with patients.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kaiti Glazier in Stark County, Ohio

5 months ago

I signed an exemption for the vaccines, after proving titers to MMR. Not interested in getting the HepB series after I had the first of three, got incredibly ill, and my titers didn't increase. Also I decline the flu vaccine. Some facilities require face masks if you decline flu vaccine.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.