Researching a career in MLT/MT and wondering if I'm on the right path.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Lily in Houston, Texas

25 months ago

I just turned 25 this month, and I've always been interested in science and lab. Here's a little background about myself. I graduated high school in the top 10% of my class, and always dreamed of going to college but had to work straight out of high school to help support my mom and family. Anyways, that's how i got into the industrial business; worked as an order filler and worked my way up to sales which i did for about a year and made 11.50. Raises were good seeing that i always got $1 but i just got tired of doing sales. It just wasn't me. I was at that company for about 3-4 years and like i said, I tired of sales. I'm more of a hands on person and started looking for jobs in labs here in Houston. I saw that for entry level positions you needed at least 1-2 years experience even if you didn't have education other than high school. After months of persistence and not giving up, I managed to get myself an interview at a pathology lab and despite no experience and education, I landed a part time job working nights as a processor/accession-er/data entry person. My supervisor said she liked that I was going to college part time and was actually enthused that i took so much interest and was doing this for myself.I love the lab part of it even if it's just putting bar code labels on specimen and learning test codes.
I would love to go to school for the 4yr BS in MT but i have to pay outta pocket for my education. HCC offers a MED TECHNICIAN program and I'm wondering if this is a good option for me and if it transfers credits to a 4 yr anywhere here in the Houston area. Any help or info will help, I would love to hear from personal experiences! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Hmmm in London, Kentucky

20 months ago

Why would you have to pay out of pocket?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.