What are typical medical laboratory technician salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

petra in Rio Rancho, New Mexico

76 months ago

Check out at salary wizard.com.
I know that in the east cost area are pay much more. My friend got $25 an hours right away after she finished school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jonathan in Seattle, Washington

64 months ago

The salary range is generally $35,000 and up and a lot of depends on your certification, degree, and obviously experience in the field. Here's a pretty useful chart I found on Labtechcareer.com that shows the salaries ranges along with technician roles and certification. It's at: www.labtechcareer.com/training-education/technician-overview-on-jobs-salaries-education/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

stephanie in Kansas City, Missouri

63 months ago

Jonathan in Seattle, Washington said: The salary range is generally $35,000 and up and a lot of depends on your certification, degree, and obviously experience in the field. Here's a pretty useful chart I found on Labtechcareer.com that shows the salaries ranges along with technician roles and certification. It's at: www.labtechcareer.com/training-education/technician-overview-on-jobs-salaries-education/

thank you for the very useful information

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Labtechy in Parkville, Maryland

33 months ago

I am in a lab tech program right now on the east coast, and every teacher or MLT I have asked has given me a range of about $19 to $27 an hour depending on shifts, experience, and setting (reference lab, doctors office, or hospital). I was disappointed when I researched other allied health careers that only require an Associates degree to find that their salaries are much larger- like $20,000 more per year. My teachers say this is because MLTs are not seen by the patients, so we are often ignored when it comes to pay. I agree that nurses should be paid more because they deal with alot of stress and angry patients, but why does a dental hygienist, radiation therapist, medical coding tech ect. get paid much more than we do? Phlebotomists only require a 3 to 6 month training program (if that) and many start at $15 an hour, a mere $4 under what some MLTs make. I am just confused about this, especially because I had to take 4 levels of chemistry, 4 levels of biology, and many MLT classes just to get an A.S. degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Labtechy in Parkville, Maryland

33 months ago

Labtechy in Parkville, Maryland said: I am in a lab tech program right now on the east coast, and every teacher or MLT I have asked has given me a range of about $19 to $27 an hour depending on shifts, experience, and setting (reference lab, doctors office, or hospital). I was disappointed when I researched other allied health careers that only require an Associates degree to find that their salaries are much larger- like $20,000 more per year. My teachers say this is because MLTs are not seen by the patients, so we are often ignored when it comes to pay. I agree that nurses should be paid more because they deal with alot of stress and angry patients, but why does a dental hygienist, radiation therapist, medical coding tech ect. get paid much more than we do? Phlebotomists only require a 3 to 6 month training program (if that) and many start at $15 an hour, a mere $4 under what some MLTs make. I am just confused about this, especially because I had to take 4 levels of chemistry, 4 levels of biology, and many MLT classes just to get an A.S. degree.

In addition, the Bachelor's degree for MT is odd because most make the same as an MLT with only an AS degree (see the link from Stephanie above to compare the two, they are almost the same!). Why is the lab so underpaid if its such a crucial part of the diagnostic process and involves so much exposure risk?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Melbourne, Florida

21 months ago

Labtechy in Parkville, Maryland said: In addition, the Bachelor's degree for MT is odd because most make the same as an MLT with only an AS degree (see the link from Stephanie above to compare the two, they are almost the same!). Why is the lab so underpaid if its such a crucial part of the diagnostic process and involves so much exposure risk?

It's underappreciated. Wait until the mass exodus of 'boomers, then people will see how valuable the field and its professionals actually are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.