Can I have some input please on how to organize labwork.

Comments (4)

angieR in Pompano Beach, Florida

79 months ago

I just started working w/ my dh in his office, I don't have any experiece working in an office and it's just me and him alone working together. Yeah I know, crazy! I am an RN so I know all the terminology and dealing with insurance companies. It helps! We have a paperless charting system but we receive the labs mailed in or faxed in from outside labs. He wants me to scan them in the computer then keep them in a file to give to the patient on their follow up appointment. We now have labs over a year old because many of the patients have not come in or the girl before me forgot to give them to the patient. Should I just make sure all the labs older than 1 month are scanned in, then shred them?

Peanut in Warner Robins, Georgia

62 months ago

I know this is a late response, but I'm in school for HIT and from what we've learned all medical records must be stored for six years and for a minor six years past the age of majority (in GA thats 18 yrs old + 6yrs). I don't see why you couldnt shred them as long as they are in the system and it is a secure system with back up. The AHIMA website has some information on medical records if you can find it. Also always check HIPAA and ARRA policy.

Office Manager in Flower Mound, Texas

58 months ago

angieR in Pompano Beach, Florida said: I just started working w/ my dh in his office, I don't have any experiece working in an office and it's just me and him alone working together. Yeah I know, crazy! I am an RN so I know all the terminology and dealing with insurance companies. It helps! We have a paperless charting system but we receive the labs mailed in or faxed in from outside labs. He wants me to scan them in the computer then keep them in a file to give to the patient on their follow up appointment. We now have labs over a year old because many of the patients have not come in or the girl before me forgot to give them to the patient. Should I just make sure all the labs older than 1 month are scanned in, then shred them?

Yes since the labs are scanned into your emr there's no reason to keep it on file. If they patient happens to come back a month or so later than print a copy from the patients emr chart. Hope this helps.

Charming D in Alpharetta, Georgia

42 months ago

angieR in Pompano Beach, Florida said: I just started working w/ my dh in his office, I don't have any experiece working in an office and it's just me and him alone working together. Yeah I know, crazy! I am an RN so I know all the terminology and dealing with insurance companies. It helps! We have a paperless charting system but we receive the labs mailed in or faxed in from outside labs. He wants me to scan them in the computer then keep them in a file to give to the patient on their follow up appointment. We now have labs over a year old because many of the patients have not come in or the girl before me forgot to give them to the patient. Should I just make sure all the labs older than 1 month are scanned in, then shred them?

Once they are scan in you can shred them if you have an EMR system already set up this is doing double work. If patients ever want a copy all you have to do is either call the lab they have those results for ever or you can print a copy from your EMR system. Further more why does he not have the EMR system install a Bi-directional interface with the lab so you will not have the hard copy come through.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.