Getting a medical office manager job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

How did you get your start doing medical office manager work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Els in Lawrenceville, Georgia

76 months ago

Personally, I started as a medical assistant. I was at work every day, never called in sick, did it for a few years and decided after a front office person was fired, to try that job for a year or so. After I had that down pact, started looking over the shoulder of a medical biller/coder. Worked at that for a year or two, and then went in to medical marketing for a sleep lab and electronic claims company. To make a long story short, it was all hands on training!
So when I matured (a little, LOL)went back to a 1 doc office with 2 employees as the manager. Then moved to a 6 employee office. I now have 40+ employees and 5 locations. Yes, I did it the hard way, but I think it was the best, and the phsycians seem to be much happier with me then the last administrator who had a business degree, but no people skills, or hands on training!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

BB in Weston, Connecticut

70 months ago

That seems to be the best way for me too. I started in the medical field as an Emergency Medical Technician in a position labled Medical Assistant and started out very hands on and offered help with whatever was needed, including computer skills, organizing, scheduling, ordering and restocking supplies, etc. I also watched and listened alot to the front office people and filled in when necessary there, if someone was out sick or they were short handed. By doing all of these things without complaints by me, and having the "other" medical assistant complaining to the doctors about me all the time, the doctors realized who was the one doing things with a smile and who was the one, looking for a way not to do things always with a frown. It took awhile, as she was there for 4 years when I started. She was full time and I am and always have been part time. They started to ask me about writing up job descriptions for a medical assistant and the next thing I knew she was gone and we hired, with my help several other part time medical assistants. Now that the doctors are expanding they have asked me to join them as their office manager and to help them with the hiring and setting up the new office. I haven't started there yet, so we will see how it turns out. I am very excited.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

trina Holland in Cleveland, Tennessee

70 months ago

Hello, I am currently in college for medical office management and I have been surfing the web trying to find employment. Can you will you give me some kind of advice. Please and thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

London Jones in Fredericksburg, Virginia

61 months ago

trina Holland in Cleveland, Tennessee said: Hello, I am currently in college for medical office management and I have been surfing the web trying to find employment. Can you will you give me some kind of advice. Please and thank you

Start off as a supervisor or medical office assistant. This may be a step behind for you but you will be a foot in the door as well as learning from bottom up. Most management openings want you to have some managerial experience. Unfortunately, you have to be given an opportunity to get that management experience. So my advice is to start as a supervisor or office coordinator, a position with some authority.
Good luck

Mary in Sussex, Wisconsin

59 months ago

I would like some advice if I can. I currently have 12 years of background in Office Accounting (A/R, A/P, G/L, Inventory Control, H/R, Payroll entry, Credit and Collections ect.) with 6 years of Office Administrative and Customer Service Management. I do not have any formal training, I worked my way up from Receptionist to Management, but have taken a few courses here and there in conjuction with my jobs. This was all for the same company though. 10 years ago, I left to become a stay at home mom and we closed our division. Now I am looking to get back into this field, but of course the economy, my years away and the lack of degrees are a big factor. I did attend 2.5 years of college and have some Medical terminology, Anatomy/Physiology courses under my belt-but of course none are transferable since they are over 20 years old. Now, after hearing that background, my question to those in the industry is this, with all this previous background with some new college coursework would Medical Office Management be a realistic goal? I would like to broaden my job scope and open more possible doors. I am currently signed up for Medical Coding courses at the local tech school, but want to know if this is the route to take? I love to start at the bottom and work my way up, since I enjoy learning hands on. But is there really a way to get into the Medical Office with no Medical office experience or coursework? And if not, is Medical Coding the first step? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.