What are the best medical receptionist qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a medical receptionist? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective medical receptionist?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

HEATHER BRANCH in Kernersville, North Carolina

98 months ago

I RECIEVED MY EDUCATION AT BROOKSTONE COLLEGE 18MONTHS. ALSO WORKED AS NURSING ASSISTANT MED TECH AND NURSING HOME SUPERVISIOR.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

J in Brandon, Florida

96 months ago

2 ways for Best training....

1) On the job if someone is willing to train. Drawback, may not make as much money though.

2) Medical Assisting school. Took me 9 months going 4 nights a week for 4 hrs a night plus 180 hours of externship in a doctors
office to graduate. Cost $11,000.00. You can apply for grants and get student loans that you don't start paying back until 6 months
after you graduate.

J

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Deb

96 months ago

It depends what the job is exactly. I do it but my responsibilities are different than others. I didn't have to train very much, mainly do appointments, filing, heavy calls, and occasionally clean rooms when the assistants are busy. Other receptionists do billing, posting, etc. It pays to inquire, the range can be great depending on the office and how much help they have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeannie in Bath, Michigan

92 months ago

I worked as a receptionist in serveral practices for over 17 years, LOVED it. The last office I worked in I started as a receptionist then 3 years later went to billing for 4 years then the to surgery coordanitor. You'll get alot of on the job training. If you have insurance knowledge, not necessarily billing unless you want to move onto that, it helps if you have collection experience but most important is you need to be a good 'customer service representive'. You'll be the first person the patient will talk with when they make their appointment and usually the last one they'll see when they leave. YOU are a Very Important part to the doctor's practice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wstjune

85 months ago

I could use some advice. I am writing a resume for a Medical Receptionist position.Although I have excellent customer service, teamwork, communicative, and problem solving skills from retail and manufacturing,
I find it difficult to incorporate medical keywords to appeal to a Recruiter or Hiring Manager. Do you have any suggestions? In addition, I am know taking an online course on medical terminology.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sandy

85 months ago

I worked as a Licensed Practical Nurse for thirty years in a hospital. I have retired from nursing and am interested in a job as a medical receptionist. I am currently enrolled in and Basic Office Skills Certificate Program at our local community college. Any other tips as to what I could do to qualify for this type of position would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Sandy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sandy

85 months ago

I worked as a Licensed Practical Nurse for thirty years in a hospital. I have retired from nursing and am interested in a job as a medical receptionist. I am currently enrolled in a Basic Office Skills Certificate Program at our local community college. Any other tips as to what I could do to qualify for this type of position would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Sandy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.