How to land that job?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

mariah in Huntington Station, New York

58 months ago

I really need advice on how to land a Medical Billing job. I am currently unemployed. I have been on 14 job interviews and I am going on another interview this week. I've also applied for Medical Receptionist and Medical Records but nothing. What can I do to get my foot in the door?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah

58 months ago

mariah in Huntington Station, New York said: I really need advice on how to land a Medical Billing job. I am currently unemployed. I have been on 14 job interviews and I am going on another interview this week. I've also applied for Medical Receptionist and Medical Records but nothing. What can I do to get my foot in the door?

Unfortunately, that is the only way I know how to break into coding. On your interviews have they said anything as to why you are not being hired?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mariah in Huntington Station, New York

58 months ago

When I go on the job interviews they tell me that they need someone with more experience. I've applied on line to volunteer at hospitals but, I haven't heard anything back. I'm currently on unemployment. I got offered a position but it was for part time. I didn't take it because I make more from unemployment. And the money that I would make from that job wouldn't be enough to cover my bills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

valentine in Salt Lake City, Utah

58 months ago

mariah in Huntington Station, New York said: When I go on the job interviews they tell me that they need someone with more experience. I've applied on line to volunteer at hospitals but, I haven't heard anything back. I'm currently on unemployment. I got offered a position but it was for part time. I didn't take it because I make more from unemployment. And the money that I would make from that job wouldn't be enough to cover my bills.

you need experience to answer phones and schedule appointments? I would think that your medical knowledge would be useful than previous phone answering experience.

Maybe in future interviews explain that while you don't have reception experience, you have medical term knowledge, ICD 9 and CPT knowledge.

When I worked front desk, all of those things were important, we had to have an understanding of the specialty that we were working in and we entered in the patients charges, so we had to have knowledge of codes.

find out what specialties they do in the clinic and brush up on the terminology, that might impress them.

That is a bummer about the part time job paying less than your unemployment benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Robyn in Alhambra, California

58 months ago

I am under the impression that here in Calif unemloyment will supplement your wage so that you make at least what you would make if you were not working. You should look into that. At least then you are getting expeience and making the same money.
Good Luck.

Shannon in Dayton, Ohio

58 months ago

That's what they tell me too valentine that I need experience to answer a telephone! I am trying very hard to get my foot in the door. Do you have any advice as I am going to start my HIT pgm next month and I have a degree in Coding and Billing. Thanks!

Beth in Southport, North Carolina

17 months ago

mariah in Huntington Station, New York said: When I go on the job interviews they tell me that they need someone with more experience. I've applied on line to volunteer at hospitals but, I haven't heard anything back. I'm currently on unemployment. I got offered a position but it was for part time. I didn't take it because I make more from unemployment. And the money that I would make from that job wouldn't be enough to cover my bills.

I know this post is several years old, but not taking the part-time job was a huge mistake. Unemployment eventually runs out and at least you would have gained the experience you so desperately need.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shannon in Dayton, Ohio

17 months ago

Who are you to judge her Beth?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.