Medical Sales vs. Pharmaceutical Sales

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Ralph Steeber in Cleveland, Ohio

96 months ago

BIG DIFFERENCE! It's a matter of what you can qualify for? Pharma is more entry level where as medical requires more experience. send your resume to admin@medicalreps.com and our service will offer you professional opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

John in Kansas City, Missouri

73 months ago

Ralph Steeber in Cleveland, Ohio said: BIG DIFFERENCE! It's a matter of what you can qualify for? Pharma is more entry level where as medical requires more experience. send your resume to admin@medicalreps.com and our service will offer you professional opinion.

Ralph,
Pharma and medical equipment/consumable sales are completely different. Both require good "people" skills, but in the capital or medical equipment side of the industry closing skills are extremely important. This end of the business is transactional. In other words, you must be able to complete the "deal" with a firm purchase order. Most sales representatives do not have the skill sets to position themselves in a consultative manner to actually "close" a deal. It takes a special person to look someone in the eye, ask for an order, and then get them to sign off on it (complete the transaction). If you are the type of person that likes repetitive speels .........pharma might be the course to take. If you are willing to be like a professional golfer and take home a pay check based on constant closing the deal on a course that changes constantly, you might want to go for medical equipment/consumable sales. Either direction is a good one. Both are noble professions.
Good selling! (conscious competence is the reality...not good luck)
John

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rick in Berkeley, California

73 months ago

John,

Any advice on how to break into either Pharma or Medical Equipment sales, especially with no prior sales experience? I do have some medical training but can't seem to get around the minimum sales experience all the jobs seem to require. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Randy in Knoxville, Tennessee

67 months ago

Go into Medical... unless you like being treated like you are 22 and have no idea how to sell, or read tech. data for the rest of your life.... oh, and you forgot to point with your pen when using your sales aid... (fails to meet expectation).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

KIm in Tarpon Springs, Florida

64 months ago

Hi everyone! I am 23 years old and I am very interested in being a medical sales representative. I am trying to get my foot in the door and would like to shadow a representative. If you are a representative and lives in Tampa, FL. Please send me a message. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

corabona@*****.*** in Cranston, Rhode Island

56 months ago

HELLO... I LIVE IN RI.I JUST FINISHED SCHOOL AT SANDFORD BROWN IN PHARMACY TECH PROGRAM. I AM TRYING TO GET A JOB IN RESEARCH OR PHARMACEUTICAL SALES REP. I CAN'T GET A JOB NO ONE WILL HIRE ME I KEEP HEARING THE SAME THING THEY WANT SOMEONE WITH EXPERIENCE. WELL HOW DO WE GET EXPERIENCE IF NO ONE WILL GIVE ME A CHANCE.PLEASE HELP!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Shari in Norristown, Pennsylvania

54 months ago

@medicalrepinsight.com: could you be more specific in what medical sales vs. medical device sales vs. pharm sales would entail? I am currently an RN and have a varied background with skills that I think would easily transfer into a career in sales--I am just not certain as to which direction to take. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Aaron in Milford, Connecticut

53 months ago

medicalrepinsight.com in Atlantic Beach, Florida said: There is a large difference between medical sales, medical device sales and pharmaceutical sales. The work load required is different, the skill sets required are usually different and the compensation in each are totally different. 1099 reps vs direct reps, ones travel travel requirements, their call points, the background required, the day to day lifestyle and everything else is totally different. I've been in the industry for years so I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you may have?

I am a microbiology major graduating this May and am very interested in a medical device sales position. My question is, are there any companies that will hire new grads and train or should I look for a job selling copiers for two years?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Tacoma, Washington

44 months ago

Aaron in Milford, Connecticut said: I am a microbiology major graduating this May and am very interested in a medical device sales position. My question is, are there any companies that will hire new grads and train or should I look for a job selling copiers for two years?

Aaron, medical device sales reps are a very difficult career field to get into entry level. Much easier to start with pharmaceutical sales, so you can get a good understanding of the medical industry and sales experience before moving into med device sales. You can find good information at www.medicalrepresentative.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

NAPRX so far so good in San Diego, California

38 months ago

I have gone on 4 pharma interviews and recieved an offer from one but declined. So far companies have been really impressed with my knowledge of the industry and ability to communicate on some of the industry topics because of NAPRX. Its not the tell all solution to landing a job in pharma. It gives you the foundation you have to do the research on the company, put together a brag book and presentation and know how to interview or else it wont help you. Simply getting a certification wont help you just like having a degree wont help. Its a piece of paper that says you were able to accomplish something. If you cant sell yourself in a interview you wont be able to sell yourself to a doctor and should consider another profession. The best bet would be to apply to entry level pharma jobs that look for people they can mold and then knock their socks off with your industry knowledge. That is of course if you passed the NAPRX exam. You stated its a scam though so I venture you probably didnt. Just my two cents. Before NAPRX I got zero interviews. I still dont have a job offer besides the one I declined but I feel that I am headed in the right direction. Interviews are better than no interviews. At least I got my foot in the door so to speak.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mrt77 in Los Angeles, California

34 months ago

Hi Ralph,

I know this post is quite old, but is your company still in business? Would I be able to email my resume for feedback and assistance? Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.