Transfering from clinical medicine to sales

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

James in Richmond, Virginia

35 months ago

I was wondering what the market is like for a resident physician without a sales background to transition into medical device/pharmaceutical sales? Training has included BS in biology, intern year in internal medicine, and one and a half years of physical medicine and rehabilitation. Still training at this point, just weighing options.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

medicalrepinsight.com in Atlantic Beach, Florida

35 months ago

Hi James,

I've seen and hired many people in your position in the past. Not having a sales background can certainly make this a difficult task for you. However, there are a decent amount of device companies that offer "clinical sales" positions where its kind of a pseudo sales/clinical role where you still call on accounts in the field. Once a "clinical field rep" cuts their teeth and can show that they have what it takes, they can later get promoted into a medical device sales role depending on the company. Pharma is a whole different story, but is probably more likely than medical device even though it pays less money. Hope that helps you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

James in Richmond, Virginia

34 months ago

Very interesting. I appreciate your input and would like to know more about which companies offer this clinical sales position and what they are looking for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.