Trying to break into Medical Sales. Any advice?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 57)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Ricky in Norfolk, Virginia

67 months ago

Hello,

I'm a 27 year old male with a BSBA from an accredited business school. I have 5 years of successful Account Executive/B2B sales experience. I have been trying to crack into the medical sales industry and have not heard back from a soul. I was in the wholesale lending business for firms such JPMorgan Chase where I generated multi million dollar pipelines and constantly increased revenue while growing my territory. The problem is that industry died and all the companies were either tanking or having massive layoffs. I think that hurt my resume and made it look like I was job hopping. Either way, I have a proven sales track record and know how to manage a territory, develope relationships and grow revenue. What do I need to do to get a returned phone call? Please help.

Thanks,

Ricky

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

healthcare pro in Columbus, Ohio

66 months ago

Don't give up, but I have heard from hiring managers that would not go on the record that they will not consider mortgage folks, especially us slimy and low-down wholesale AE's (I was one for a long time). Here are the reasons why:

1. We just bought our business by offering kickbacks and giving perks. Well, I am sure that no pharm rep has ever taken docs to happy hour or golfing or dinner to entice business. NOOOOOO! Many reps in many business do this, but cliens keep their business for the long haul with reps and companies who they know will come through for them and for the end user.

2. We made easy money while the money was easy. Well, it was a booming industry in mortgage from 2002 through early 2007, but it was also an extremely competitive market, and if you were successful it was because you were doing things right and knew your product and industry like it was your name!

3. We are all just going to leave and go back to mortgage when the easy money comes back. First of all, employees leave companies for better opportunities all the time, and it is called capitalism. Maintain your status as a great place to work and treat people well and you should not have to worry about it! Furthermore, it is not coming back anywhere close to where it was, nor should it.

Ricky, use networking to get to know people in the business. It may take a while, and even that may not be easy. My uncle is a distric manager for a large pharma company and even he could not get me an interview. They were concerned over my background. I guess my background of covering a multi state territory and being in the top 3% in production for what was at the time the largest mortgage lender in the country just did not cut it!

Keep plugging away. That's all any of us can do. Use it as motivation. I am trying to get a job as an admissions director in a healthcare facility and it is going well. I can't wait until the first time a pharma rep comes into my facility!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ricky in Chesapeake, Virginia

66 months ago

healthcare pro in Columbus, Ohio said: Don't give up, but I have heard from hiring managers that would not go on the record that they will not consider mortgage folks, especially us slimy and low-down wholesale AE's (I was one for a long time). Here are the reasons why:

1. We just bought our business by offering kickbacks and giving perks. Well, I am sure that no pharm rep has ever taken docs to happy hour or golfing or dinner to entice business. NOOOOOO! Many reps in many business do this, but cliens keep their business for the long haul with reps and companies who they know will come through for them and for the end user.

2. We made easy money while the money was easy. Well, it was a booming industry in mortgage from 2002 through early 2007, but it was also an extremely competitive market, and if you were successful it was because you were doing things right and knew your product and industry like it was your name!

3. We are all just going to leave and go back to mortgage when the easy money comes back. First of all, employees leave companies for better opportunities all the time, and it is called capitalism. Maintain your status as a great place to work and treat people well and you should not have to worry about it! Furthermore, it is not coming back anywhere close to where it was, nor should it.

Ricky, use networking to get to know people in the business. It may take a while, and even that may not be easy. My uncle is a distric manager for a large pharma company and even he could not get me an interview. They were concerned over my background. I guess my background of covering a multi state territory and being in the top 3% in production for what was at the time the largest mortgage lender in the country just did not cut it!

Keep plugging away. That's all any of us can do. Use it as motivation. I am trying to get a job as an admissions director in a healthcare facility and it is going well. I can't wait until the first time a pharma rep co

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ricky in Chesapeake, Virginia

66 months ago

Healthcare Pro,

I appreciate your insight and I completely agree with you. I actually had an opportunity to meet with the top orthopedic medical device rep in my region through a contact I know. He has been a rep in the area for over 20 years and works with Smith & Nephew. Again, it always goes back to the basics. Good ole networking.

During my 2 hour dicussion he made it very clear to me that he would NEVER consider a pharmceutical sales rep because he said they are order takers. No sales skills or intelligence is required to perform that position. He was aware of the fact that I was in the mortgage industry but he liked that fact that I was currently an Account Executive for a HealthCare company. He did say when he hires someone he doesnt really concentrate on someones background. He said he has a good judge of character and can determine if someone is cut out for the business or not. He definitely liked me and is going to contact me in 4 months time. He has 2 other positions to fill locally yet it wasn't even posted on the Smith & Nephew website because it's at his discretion.

I think I have a great opportunity since I already got my foot in the door. The only way someone like me can overcome my disadvantage is to simply network with who you know who knows someone in the business.

Good luck with pursuing your admissions director position. I hope you get it and do run into your first pharma rep.

Take Care

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in DC in Washington, District of Columbia

66 months ago

Hi guys,

I was also an AE on the wholesale lending side . I was with Wachovia for the last 6 years and recently got laid off. I am also looking to get into Medical Sales ( not pharma) and i am getting zero response. I think the only way to get in is through someone, that is if you don't have a medical background. There is a RMSR training course that i've been reading about online but i don't want to committ to a class if i'm not certain its going to get me in the medical sales field. I hope something comes around soon. I love being a wholesale AE, it was such a great job, not just the money but the mangeing of accounts, the presenations and the knowledge i had on our product line that gave me the oppurtunity to train and educate my accounts. good luck to you all!!!

Elizabeth in Raleigh, North Carolina

55 months ago

If your job search isn't yielding the results you want you may want to take a look at the methods you are using. Do you wonder why you aren’t receiving any follow up calls for the resumes you submit? It might not be your qualifications, but your method of searching. If you would like your resume reviewed and your search strategy analyzed you may contact me at elizabeth@clinicalstrategist.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

looker in Las Vegas, Nevada

54 months ago

i know the upside of this field,
what's the down side anyone?
thank you all in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tommy C.

54 months ago

I want to share some great information, it is the RMSR Certification training program for applicants looking to get into a medical sales career. I had always been interested in a medical sales job. When I began research about a new career, a friend of mine who worked in medical sales for over 10 years recommended the RMSR training course. About 7 weeks after I completed my RMSR Certification, I started my new sales career with Siemens Medical. I actually found the information for the job in the National Association of Medical Sales Rep Employment Center. I recommend the RMSR Certificaton to anyone looking to get into medical device sales.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kristian in Berwyn, Pennsylvania

54 months ago

I was in wholesale for 12 years working for a commercial lender. I helped start up sales operations in the U.S., Canada and even moved my family to sucessfully launch there for 13 months. I managed a staff of 35 wholesale BDM's. Our side of the industry was hit later, but probably harder then the residential side and The "Scarlet M" also affects the commercial motgage people in a negative way. I fully agree with healthcare pro and Ricky as far as people not knowing what they are talking about when they think we were making "easy money".

With Easy money comes incredible competition and a greater need for TALENTED sales people! We literally spent 100's of thousands of dollars just on sales training every year.

The market is tough, and just like the over reaction to the mortgage industry, it is made worse by the perception that employers can now get PHD's come pump gas for them.

I am currently working in title, however I am looking to get back to the lending side. The issue is nobody know's where the market will be in a few months, so they are holding off on hiring. While I have tons of experience I am simply looking to be a wholesale rep again, or key account manager.

Hang in there guy's, things will turn and yes, talking to people you know is by far the best way to go. It will help you overcome some mental barriers others may have about our indistry!

Tara in Boca Raton, Florida

53 months ago

Tommy C. said: I want to share some great information, it is the RMSR Certification training program for applicants looking to get into a medical sales career. I had always been interested in a medical sales job. When I began research about a new career, a friend of mine who worked in medical sales for over 10 years recommended the RMSR training course. About 7 weeks after I completed my RMSR Certification, I started my new sales career with Siemens Medical. I actually found the information for the job in the National Association of Medical Sales Rep Employment Center. I recommend the RMSR Certificaton to anyone looking to get into medical device sales.

I am also interviewing with Siemens. I am a RMSR Certified applicant so I look forward to hopefully working with you in the future. Any interviewing tips?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Alex

53 months ago

Tommy C. said: I want to share some great information, it is the RMSR Certification training program for applicants looking to get into a medical sales career. I had always been interested in a medical sales job. When I began research about a new career, a friend of mine who worked in medical sales for over 10 years recommended the RMSR training course. About 7 weeks after I completed my RMSR Certification, I started my new sales career with Siemens Medical. I actually found the information for the job in the National Association of Medical Sales Rep Employment Center. I recommend the RMSR Certificaton to anyone looking to get into medical device sales.

I want to get into medical sales, where did you get your RMSR Certification?

Mary T.

53 months ago

Go to www.medicalsalescareer.com and they will help you.

Tara in Boca Raton, Florida

53 months ago

I am interviewing with Medtronic and they are looking for me to complete the RMSR Certifcation in order to move forward with the process. Where did you get your RMSR Training? I want this job badly, please help.

Melissa

53 months ago

To obtain your RMSR Certification, just go to www.medicalsalescareer.com

Anthony in Franklin, Tennessee

53 months ago

Tara in Boca Raton, Florida said: I am interviewing with Medtronic and they are looking for me to complete the RMSR Certifcation in order to move forward with the process. Where did you get your RMSR Training? I want this job badly, please help.

Tara, can you tell a little about your background and how you ended up being a prospect for Medtronic? I really want to get into this industry.

Rex

53 months ago

The quality of the RMSR course material was excellent and easy to read as well as understand. The NAMSR staff are all knowledgeable, approachable and genuinely interested in my education. Response from the association staff was immediate and helpful. I also found more open medical sales positions in the employment center than I thought I would and hopefully should here back on a job offer this week with MedComm.

Larry in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

52 months ago

Check out EPIC in wisconsin.
They claim a 25% market for electronic records.
They are besting Siemens.
However Siemens has lots of money and they can and will buy out competition and then squeeze the company.

Gretchen in Toledo, OH

52 months ago

I am interviewing with Medtronic and they are looking for me to complete the RMSR Certifcation in order to move forward with the process. Where did you get your RMSR Training? I want this job badly, please help!!!

Wes in Bakersfield, CA

52 months ago

I have been doing researh and calling medical device companies and I have found that RMSR Training is becoming more popular as medical companies look to hire new reps with some industry education and training. The RMSR Certification is for those who are looking to break into a medical sales career. The training is offered as a web based training program through the association. By obtaining a RMSR, medical sales candidates will possess the industry and product knowledge that medical device companies are looking for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michael P. in Webster, Florida

52 months ago

I really appreciate what the RMSR Certification and the NAMSR did for me. I really enjoyed the RMSR Ttraining. It was interesting and informative. I enjoyed it more to your than any of my university courses which I took long ago. The Employment Center was vital as that is where I found my new medical sales jobs. Good job to all at the association.

Josephine in Boca Raton, Florida

51 months ago

Don't give up on your medical sales job search, but I have heard from hiring managers that would go on the record stating that they will not consider folks who do not possess their RMSR Certification. I am know enrolled in the RMSR Certification because of the feedback I have heard from companies.

kk in Gladwin, Michigan

50 months ago

What is the average pay for medical sales rep, i spoke with a company and he said 10% and i should try more leads for disposal products? any ideas any one?

Ehtisham in orlando, Florida

50 months ago

kk in Gladwin, Michigan said: What is the average pay for medical sales rep, i spoke with a company and he said 10% and i should try more leads for disposal products? any ideas any one?

Well it depend where are you operating and what services are you offering, it range from 10% to 20% if you can send me your profile then I will be able to evaluate your success rate in this field, a Medical Sales Representativeges don't matter, its the hunt what matter the most, how many clients you get in a month depends on your sales skill + product strength.

PhysGrad in Belmont, California

49 months ago

I just graduated with a BS in Physiology. If I wanted to end up in the medical device industry should I try to just get some B2B sales experience before I go for my RMSR certification? Or should I just get the certification done now?

Alex in LaGrange, Illinois

49 months ago

Stryker certainly loves to hire RMSR Certified applicants. They have several people on the advisory board. You may want to call Heidie in HR and she works on the Midwest sales jobs.

Matt K. in McKinney, Texas

49 months ago

Siemens called me last week about an opening here in North Dallas. It looks like the RMSR Certification works-a recent RMSR Certified happy camper.

Misty R. in Silverstreet, South Carolina

49 months ago

FYI to all: Just talked to HR Rep at Boston Scientific and they want me to get RMSR Certification and medical sales education to qualify for sales rep position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ehtisham in orlando, Florida

49 months ago

Send me your resume at hr@inteleso.com, we might be able to create an opportunity for you.

Gretchen in Charlotte, North Carolina

48 months ago

We are looking to fill medical sales positions, if you have a RMSR Certification please email your resume to jobs@owens-minor.com

Marie T. in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

42 months ago

If you are RMSR Certified go to www.healthcarereps.com as almost all jobs look for RMSR Certified reps!!

jmathis2000 in Long Beach, California

42 months ago

Mary,
I'm dying to know who you are and why you suddenly feel so compelled to post this all over indeed.
My conclusion is that she is betting all the people who were dumb enough to pay for the RMSR certification in the first place will not mind paying for a job board with postings the companies didn't even post OR you are being set up by NAMSR again. Either way, good luck with wasting more money on a program no one recognizes. For real validation, take a look at REAL people and what they say on Linkedin.

Matt in Pickerington, Ohio

38 months ago

I do not have my RMSR Cert. but have been working in the Healthcare field for years. DO I need the RMSR cert? Please advise, I really want into the Medical Sales field.

Ryan Zengerle in Chicago, Illinois

38 months ago

Matt in Pickerington, Ohio said: I do not have my RMSR Cert. but have been working in the Healthcare field for years. DO I need the RMSR cert? Please advise, I really want into the Medical Sales field.

No, you don't. If you are trying to break in, what's really important is showing outstanding sales achievements & experience in competitive industries. Not having a RMSR certificate will never keep you out of an interview if you have a proven sales track record.

If for some reason a company requires you to have one than they will let you get the certificate through the training process. If you are the right candidate, they will never let you walk out that door. (RSMR certificate in hand or not)

Make no mistake, these are sales jobs, and your sales experience does the talking. If that is where you are lacking, than no certificate is going to break you into the field. Any training you need to do the job will be supplied by the company. I also think its very telling that the RSMR Certificate is not required by any Credentialing System (Reptrax, Vendormate, etc) or Hospital.

The only scenario I see this as beneficial is if you're interviewing and its down to the final candidates with similar backgrounds. If you think having the certificate beforehand gives you a competitive edge, than so be it. I still believe it just comes down to you and what you do in the interview.

Matt in Pickerington, Ohio

38 months ago

Thanks for the help
Are you experienced in the medical sales industry. I do not have a lot of sales experience but have a lot of experience in the medical field. Am I grasping for too much to think that experience in the medical field will help out? Should I look at other avenues with out any sales expereience?

Ryan in Chicago, Illinois

38 months ago

I have 6+ years experience, and I would recommend testing the waters by contacting recruiters who handle Med Device Opportunities in your area. I would also apply to Entry level Med Device positions posted on sites such as MedReps.com and gorillamedicalsales.com. These sites are nothing but Med Device job postings by recruiters. Theres a small monthly fee for each but you can cancel at any time.

If you get no responses from recruiters off either of the sites, than your lack of sales experience is whats holding you back. If this is the case, I would recommend applying to some B2B Sales jobs and apply again down the road. Your healthcare experience is definitely an advantage, but again, sales is the criteria you are judged on. You'll never know unless you start getting your Resume out there.

Some Dude in Charlotte, North Carolina

37 months ago

Pardon me, but what is RMSR?

BTW, Ryans advice above is solid.

heather downey in Columbus, Ohio

27 months ago

What is a good B2B job to get into, so I may get the experience I need for medical sales?

Drue De Angelis in Scottsdale, Arizona

26 months ago

I got into orthopedic sales right out of college and spent 13 years doing it before becoming a recruiter in medical devices. I recently wrote an ebook entitled "Breaking into Medical Sales" that tells you how to do it. Check it out www.breakingintomedicalsales.com

sanjeeb7sd in Guwahati, India

26 months ago

how i future develop my medical representative job.

Ben in Peoria, IL

23 months ago

I would get the RMSR Certification as it led to many interviews for me. I was called for quite of few interviews because of my designation. It is industry recognized and certainly very comprehensive that will provide the industry knowledge to work in the field.

John Simms in Cincinnati, Ohio

23 months ago

Did you take a job? How long did you look? Who did you interview with? Last question - how were you sure it was the certification that helped you get the interviews? Oh, can you tell more about your background?

Misty in Scottsdale, AZ

23 months ago

My best freind who has been a medical sales rep for over 9 years has strongly recommended getting RMSR Certified. I have been studying for about 2 weeks and I must say that I have learned alot and now I am aware why getting the medical sales training with the RMSR is so important. I will start my job search shortly and let everyone know on this blog where I accept a sales rep job in the industry.

Marty in Polk City, Florida

23 months ago

I do recommend getting into this industry. Our company is looking to hire quite a few medical reps over the next year. Look into robotic surgery, orthopedic or surgical supplies as growing areas. Also, if you are entry level the RMSR certification is something that HR and companies are looking for.

Brad Kenny in Chicago, Illinois

23 months ago

My freind who is a medical sales rep also told me to get RMSR certification because I am entry level. Who do you work for so that I can apply once I complete the RMSR Medical sales training program.

timogolf

17 months ago

Did you have to travel to Colorado for on campus training or was it all online ?

Tina Merek in Toledo, Ohio

10 months ago

I took the CNPR program and I didn't have any issues. I did choose to not do the university route but everything still went well. Got hired after 3 interviews and I don't plan on leaving the industry.

10 months ago

Also, I would suggest that anyone looking to break into this field should try some training. You have to interview well, and interviewing well means you need to know what you're talking about.

10 months ago

One place to look is Forest Labs
They always have positions opening up.

SS Tex in Dallas, Texas

10 months ago

Ricky in Norfolk, Virginia said: Hello,

I'm a 27 year old male with a BSBA from an accredited business school. I have 5 years of successful Account Executive /B2B sales experience. I have been trying to crack into the medical sales industry and have not heard back from a soul. I was in the wholesale lending business for firms such JPMorgan Chase where I generated multi million dollar pipelines and constantly increased revenue while growing my territory. The problem is that industry died and all the companies were either tanking or having massive layoffs. I think that hurt my resume and made it look like I was job hopping. Either way, I have a proven sales track record and know how to manage a territory, develope relationships and grow revenue. What do I need to do to get a returned phone call? Please help.

Thanks,

Ricky

CNPR is the way to go Ricky. You are obviously educated and can sell, but what does Chase have to do with a Pfizer or Eli Lilly? You need to get specific so hiring managers don't feel like they have to teach you literally EVERYTHING.

Pharma sales is a lucrative industry, and without getting into all of it, I was in a similar situation to you, but the NAPSRx program will help. Have a good one.

SS Tex in Dallas, Texas

10 months ago

Who have you applied to so far?

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.