training for nurses

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

gaby333 in Cape Coral, Florida

51 months ago

I have 15 years of emergency nursing with a BSN. I have just started applying for drug/med/rep sales positions. I work in the hospitals and are familiar with most of the medications and products. It is helpful to take these on line education courses? namsr and napsr. I would like to learn more about the sales terms

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Margaret Schnitzer in Saint Paul, Minnesota

43 months ago

gaby333 in Cape Coral, Florida said: I have 15 years of emergency nursing with a BSN. I have just started applying for drug/med/rep sales positions. I work in the hospitals and are familiar with most of the medications and products. It is helpful to take these on line education courses? namsr and napsr. I would like to learn more about the sales terms

Hi i would like to know if you had any luck getting into the med/rep sales.I also have been a RN for over 15 years in the hospital and would love to get out of the clinical setting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

tina in Sacramento, California

34 months ago

Margaret Schnitzer in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: Hi i would like to know if you had any luck getting into the med/rep sales.I also have been a RN for over 15 years in the hospital and would love to get out of the clinical setting.

i have to share my recent experience with you in the sales world. I am an orthopedic spine nurse who was "courted" by a major spine instrumentation company. They wanted me to take care of their biggest account, the surgeon I circulated and scrubbed for. I agreed since the money was enticing. We agreed to a commission fee and a start date. The last step was meeting their corporate manager. Upon doing this, he informed me that he thought I was too passionate about the clinical role and loved caring for the patients too much. This made him believe that taking me out of that role would be doing me a disservice. I was shocked, disappointed and absolutely stunned that these were telling me I was too good for them.

I explained, in detail, my connections with other surgeons, and that having an RN, BSN, CNOR, RNFA behind my name would give me credibility and respect. I believe surgeons would rather communicate with me, than a young man who has no experience in health care of the operating room. They disagreed, and completely backed out of their offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Margaret Schnitzer in Minneapolis, Minnesota

34 months ago

Hi, I've had no luck getting into the medical device field. Without any sales experience the aren't interested, but I'm going to school for my clinical research professional certificate. It takes about 1 year, or less iv'e researched alot of different area's and this seems to be the way to go. Check it out it seems a good way to get into a company like medtronic, or Boston Scientific without going into sales. Companys nees Nurse's input since we are the front lines, and have a better idea of products needed. Please anyone if you did get into the field let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nurse Jamie in Scottsdale, Arizona

18 months ago

I was is the same boat as you guys and I had amazing success with MedRep Consulting. As a former RN, I can tell you the program is well worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

janmae45@aol.com in Nottingham, Maryland

11 months ago

Jamie,

You an owner of the company that you endorsed called MedRep consulting? That pretty much tanks your credibility.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Will in Oregon City, Oregon

9 months ago

Good to see this forum,

I have a B.S. in Human Physiology & Social Communications (double major) and 7 years of Clinical experience as a Nurse Tech (CNA2) throughout college. I spent a lot of time shadowing different surgeries and went out of my way to learn the products and technicalities of many medical device companies. Having an inside perspective, professional contacts and a background that says you aren't specifically a sales deush trying to make a commission should be something of sincere value. I've even explained to these guys in interviews that I've had multiple accounts first hand listening to surgeons and physicians vent about aspects they despise in a sales rep. Agreed on the aspect that clinical experience is highly overlooked. It should be common sense that you want someone that knows the ropes. I have 3 friends that were basically partying their way through college with no work experience during the time I was busting my ass working full time and studying intensely, yet those 3 friends have all been employed in orthopedic sales positions with minimal effort. One of them would actually call me up looking for reinforcement daily because he was so intimidated by talking to physicians. I've been contemplating grabbing an online sales certificate as well but from what I've read it seems that most of the literature is basically a repeat of something a clinical professional would already know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.