changing careers & transfering skills

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Pam in Charlotte, North Carolina

90 months ago

I am looking to change careers. I have been in child welfare/mental health for 15 years and have a Masters degree. What skills in this profession would easily transfer to another field (besides teaching) and what would be some of those jobs? thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Willisburg, Kentucky

90 months ago

"I am looking to change careers. I have been in child welfare/mental health for 15 years & have a Masters degree. What skills in this profession would easily transfer to another field (besides teaching) & what would be some of those jobs?"

Hello, suggest you visit colleges where career counselors can evaluate your qualifications to see what other types of work you could transfer your skills to.

Have you considered becoming an expert legal witness?
How about becoming an educational consultant? Grantwriter? What about becoming an addictions counselor? Do you have a counseling certificate?
Addictions are hot.

What about gerontology/working with elderly?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pam in Gastonia, North Carolina

90 months ago

No, I don't have a counseling license. Addiction work does not interest me. Thank you for the suggestions, though.

Tishia in Elk Grove, California

81 months ago

Pam in Gastonia, North Carolina said: No, I don't have a counseling license. Addiction work does not interest me. Thank you for the suggestions, though.

First think about what interest you, then look up the requirements and the job description for that job and see if you have transfering skills in that area. I have also worked in Childwelfare and there are many skills that you have that you can utilize, the question is what interest you... best wishes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Angelize in NYC, New York

79 months ago

Beth in Willisburg, Kentucky said: "I am looking to change careers. I have been in child welfare/mental health for 15 years & have a Masters degree. What skills in this profession would easily transfer to another field (besides teaching) & what would be some of those jobs?"

Hello, suggest you visit colleges where career counselors can evaluate your qualifications to see what other types of work you could transfer your skills to.

Have you considered becoming an expert legal witness?
How about becoming an educational consultant? Grantwriter? What about becoming an addictions counselor? Do you have a counseling certificate?
Addictions are hot.

What about gerontology/working with elderly?

"Addictons are hot"? What exactly does that mean?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

teresa cordero in Modesto, California

32 months ago

I am pursuing a change as well. I have over twelve years experience in direct practice with diversified populations and settings. Lately, I have been thinking about my professional experiences, as well as what inspires me.

As social workers, we all care about our clientele, but at least for me, I am feeling somewhat complacent in my hard work. I have decided that the one population I have not had the great fortune of working with is the elderly. I have such respect for this stage of life; therefore, I am channeling my interests on a new path. I hope this helps. :)

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.