You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 125)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

TRUTHSEEKER

62 months ago

The new organization will be called the ASCP Board of Certification
(ASCP BOC).
The certificant titles will be MLS(ASCP) and MLT(ASCP).  Medical
Laboratory Scientist and Medical Laboratory Technician.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CLS-HOPEFUL in Glendale, California

62 months ago

TRUTHSEEKER said: The new organization will be called the ASCP Board of Certification
(ASCP BOC).

You sure about this? First they went from MT (ASCP); from being called Medical Technologist to Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) and now its Medical Laboratory Scientist!?!?

They need to make up their minds....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

TRUTHSEEKER said: The new organization will be called the ASCP Board of Certification
(ASCP BOC).

Can someone else please confirm if this is true. I cannot seem to find this information posted anywhere on the ASCP or NCA website.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

daffy in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

62 months ago

Me neitheir. i' d like to know where truthseeker found this info. Can you give us a link so that we can see for ourselves?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Miracle Worker in Bloomfield, New Jersey

62 months ago

CLS-HOPEFUL in Glendale, California said: Can someone else please confirm if this is true. I cannot seem to find this information posted anywhere on the ASCP or NCA website.

Thanks!

It is rather true but it will take time to publish it in Advance
and other official Medical Technologist Magazines. This news
came from inside information, fresh from the oven. In other words
it's a "SCOOP"!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

dr in Miami, Florida

62 months ago

CLS-HOPEFUL in Glendale, California said: Can someone else please confirm if this is true. I cannot seem to find this information posted anywhere on the ASCP or NCA website.

Thanks!

I just saw it on this link but i dont trust it. mtcertify.com/uncategorized/ascp-nca-merger/

Buck in Nashville, Tennessee

62 months ago

I am sure this is correct info. Someone probably had a inside source. I am sure the websites (ASCP and NCA) will clarify this in about a month when they have time to give specific details.

So I am thinking MT (ASCP-BOR) is now MLS (ASCP-BOC)
and MLT (ASCP-BOR) is now MLT (ASCP-BOC)

Makes sense, would of like to see it go the CLS route but atleast employeers can look for ONE certification now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

62 months ago

I think it's dumb. Medical laboratory scientist? They should have just left it CLS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

CLS48 in California said: I think it's dumb. Medical laboratory scientist? They should have just left it CLS.

Agreed. I am not even a CLS yet and I have to admit, making it MLS just loses a little of the "WOW" that CLS title brought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

CLS-HOPEFUL in Glendale, California said: Agreed. I am not even a CLS yet and I have to admit, making it MLS just loses a little of the "WOW" that CLS title brought.

I am also a student and i couldn't agree more. What a joke!
MLT= medical lab technician, MLS= medical lab scientist, and DCLS will be DMLS
DMLS= doctorate medical lab scientist or medical doctor of lab scientist or laboratory scientist doctor. Very disturbing! you are right, we have lost the "wow" factor with all that nonsense

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Larry in Richardson, Texas said: Scientist? You use technology that a scientist developed so I'm thinking technologist would be a proper description.

Whatever you say Larry!!! I dont wish to discuss that with you. I've read your comments before. So please!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tymminator in Minneapolis, Minnesota

62 months ago

Well, if true, I'm just glad its done. MLS was actually my second choice.

62 months ago

Its on the ASCP board now

www.ascp.org/MainMenu/AboutASCP/Newsroom/NewsReleases/ASCP-BOR-and-NCA-Form-Single-Certification-Agency.aspx

So,its a done deal. I've waited a long time for this.

62 months ago

Just realized this forum is gonna need a name change. :P

62 months ago

Tymminator in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: Just realized this forum is gonna need a name change. :P[/QUO

Take it easy TYMM geeeeeeeeezzzzzz!!!!! Let the nws sink in first

62 months ago

I hear you but I just have to say I've been watching this slowly happen over the past four years and have been waiting for it to happen for over twelve. I'm just super-duper excited. ^_^

Jasmine

62 months ago

So the name of our profession is:

MLS (ASCP)

Bobby CLS (NCA)

62 months ago

I want my new MLS (ASCP) card, it's seems like noone in either NCA or ASCP have any idea when they will issue the new cards!!

I called the two organizations and they have no idea!!!!!

Maybe Simone else can call and get more info about handing out new cards and a new certification paper??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

dr in Miami, Florida

62 months ago

Bobby CLS (NCA) said: I want my new MLS (ASCP) card, it's seems like noone in either NCA or ASCP have any idea when they will issue the new cards!!

I called the two organizations and they have no idea!!!!!

Maybe Simone else can call and get more info about handing out new cards and a new certification paper??

Just give me some time to work it out. first they have to dissolve NCA oct 31.
It wouldn't make sense to have info about the new cards posted on both NCA and ASCP. We've waited so long already so what's a few more weeks! Everything will fall into place before 01/2010. I can't wait to see the new standard for entry level MLS(ASCP). So exciting!

MT-generalist

62 months ago

If you go to the ascp.org link, there is a PowerPoint presentation about the merger. One interesting point was that the new BOC will create a certification exam for the DCLS graduates.

62 months ago

MT-generalist said: If you go to the ascp.org link, there is a PowerPoint presentation about the merger. One interesting point was that the new BOC will create a certification exam for the DCLS graduates.

Yes, i was just reading it. thank you for pointing that out to me. great news indeed!

TRUTHSEEKER

62 months ago

I believe the DCLS will take off like the PharmD. I urge every CLS/MT major to apply to a DCLS program an show support to the new doctorate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jasmine

62 months ago

I am going o apply when my program starts in 2011.

62 months ago

Jasmine said: I am going o apply when my program starts in 2011.

So far, i dont can't seem to find any schools offering it or maybe its just not on their website

62 months ago

Jasmine said: I am going o apply when my program starts in 2011.

So far, i dont can't seem to find any schools offering it or maybe its just not on their website

Jasmine

62 months ago

Schools will not post any curriculum info in the DCLS till approval of the state education board. I find out dates by calling some of the programs that were on the DCLS list and asking for the CLS department, there I spoke to the director an found out the details.

62 months ago

Jasmine said: Schools will not post any curriculum info in the DCLS till approval of the state education board. I find out dates by calling some of the programs that were on the DCLS list and asking for the CLS department, there I spoke to the director an found out the details.

Can you please give me the name of schools that will have the program in 2011? I want to give them a call as well

Jasmine

62 months ago

I spoke to the program director at UT San Antonio, her name is Dr. Smith, this was the requirement she emailed to me:

The program will start accepting students in 2011:
1. BS MT/CLS or MS MT/CLS
2. ASCP or NCA certification
3 . GPA >3.0
4 . Number of years working in the hospital setting
5. Post graduate test GRE

For more info contact Dr. Linda Smith at smithla@utscsa.edu
She is the director of the CLS program in UT San Antonio.

Jasmine

62 months ago

The program is UT San Antonio, I cut and pasted from a previous poster

62 months ago

Jasmine said: The program is UT San Antonio, I cut and pasted from a previous poster[/QUOTE
thank you i appreciate it. Is UT the only school that will have the program? i am in FL that's a long way from texas

Jasmine

62 months ago

More will open up = more interest = more schools opening up.

Pharmd started out with 12 schools now there are over 200

CLS48 in California

62 months ago

So it would be the DMLS, doctorate in medical laboratory science.

Mt-generalist

62 months ago

Yea probably DMLS, CLS48 are they going to change the job title in California to MLS from CLS?

Also I am wondering if schools are going to change their program name from CLS to MLS. My degree was in CLS kind of curious to see if universities are going to change their program names??

CLS48 in California

62 months ago

Not sure if they will. That would be alot of certifications in CA to change and to change the school names. Seems like a hassle. I'm thinking that CLS will stick around for awhile with MLS the new name. Much like MT stuck around even though CLS came out, but we will see what happens.

dr in Miami, Florida

62 months ago

That would mean 3 names for our profession geeeezzzzz.
MT/CLS/MLS, They really should have left it the way it was (CLS OR MT). Now its more confusion for people outside of the profession to relate all three names to one profession MT,CLS,MLS. Lets just hope CLS AND MT dont stick around.

Joe, "MLS (ASCP)" in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

62 months ago

The point is to move towards a more unified profession. This should be a positive change and a step in the right direction. Hopefully the new title will bring more recognition and clarity to the profession. The MLS title is definitely more appropriate than the MT title. Yes, the CLS title is very similar, but the MLS title being a marriage of the two former titles represents a marriage of the two certification bodies. I hope employers will agree to do away will the older titles and start new, especially with regard to the MT. I think the majority of us are tired of always having to explain to people what exactly a "medical technologist" is. It sounds like someone who studies medical equipment and instrumentation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

MN MLS (ASCP) in Minneapolis, Minnesota

62 months ago

dr in Miami, Florida said: That would mean 3 names for our profession geeeezzzzz.
MT/CLS/MLS, They really should have left it the way it was (CLS OR MT). Now its more confusion for people outside of the profession to relate all three names to one profession MT,CLS,MLS. Lets just hope CLS AND MT dont stick around.

They wont stick around because the two major agenies that were most responsible for the different names (ASCP for MT & NCA for CLS) are merged and the new agency is henceforth caling it MLS. Now on a individual basis it might take some places more then others to get on board, but with the new ASCLS(BOC) calling us MLS, thats what we are going to be.

Yeah AAB and AMY MIGHT not change, but thats really a non factor (and don't be surprise if at least AAB changes to synch up with ASCP within a year or so).

MN MLS (ASCP) in Minneapolis, Minnesota

62 months ago

I meant AMT not AMY, LOL!

BTW Hi Tymm!

Lisa

62 months ago

Name, schmame. As long as I get hired after graduation and am working in a laboratory environment, I'll be content. I'm weighing two options for an M.S.: either an online M.S. in MT/CLS/MLS; or an online M.S. in forensic toxicology. The toxicology curriculum appeals to me more, and since I'll really only be using whichever degree for CEU's and my own curiosity, it's not that important which I do. As for a PhD in any discipline, I don't want to do that until I've officially retired. It just wouldn't be fiscally prudent at this point in my life.

zeik in Lafayette, Louisiana

62 months ago

MT-generalist said: If you go to the ascp.org link, there is a PowerPoint presentation about the merger. One interesting point was that the new BOC will create a certification exam for the DCLS graduates.

where is info on merger located....give link please

dr in Miami, Florida

62 months ago

62 months ago

Jasmine said: Schools will not post any curriculum info in the DCLS till approval of the state education board. I find out dates by calling some of the programs that were on the DCLS list and asking for the CLS department, there I spoke to the director an found out the details.

just curious if any DCLS programs will be offered oline like PharmD is.....any comment.....sb

Lisa

62 months ago

woops! Upon further thought I'm not so whippy on "MLS". We could be confused with librarians who often also have an "MLS", in their case, a Masters of Library Science. Or realtors, for whom "MLS" means "multiple listing service". I think "CLS" is best, but it's kind of late to be objecting now

Lisa

62 months ago

That's interesting. If I wasn't already older than dirt, I'd be interested in pursuing a DCLS/DMLS at the earliest opportunity. Now, if someone comes up with an online, or mostly online DCLS/DMLS, I would be interested.

zeik in New Iberia, Louisiana

62 months ago

Lisa said: That's interesting. If I wasn't already older than dirt, I'd be interested in pursuing a DCLS/DMLS at the earliest opportunity. Now, if someone comes up with an online, or mostly online DCLS/DMLS, I would be interested.

is any school having online DCLS............does anyone know ........

62 months ago

I have a question. What is the deal with all the hate towards people like myself who initially obtained a bachelor's degree in another field other than MT or I guess MLS now? I have a bachelor's in Microbiology from a UC school. With this degree, I have virology, parasitology, mycology, public health microbiology, 1 year of biochemistry, etc etc. So other than my one year of pre-clinicals (which I will be starting next month) and getting into an internship program afterwards, what makes my science degree "inferior" to all of you Lab professionals who obtained a Bachelor's in MT? Just curious since I noticed a lot of hate going on. Especially with this new DMLS program who supposedly will not accept anyone who doesnt have a bachelor's in MT.

Any other Doctoral degree in any other profession allows you to enter their program despite your degree for as long as you finish all pre-reqs. It is not mine or anyone else's why they did not get a Bachelor's in MT. There are not that many schools who offer such a degree because the advertising is poorly done for this profession. But there are people here who yell on these forums that they do not like other bachelor's degrees entering their profession. Perhaps this is also why there is a shortage....

MT-generalist

62 months ago

CLS hopeful you will still be accepted to a DCLS program bc you have a CLS certificate.

I just spoke to Dr. smith of UT San Antonio, she said a post CLS certificate, BS or MS in CLS and a couple of years experiece in CLS will make you eligible for the program. Of course GPA and GREs and ASCP and NCA certificate are also required.

She said, Bio or chem majors (without a post CLS certificate or degree) or MLTs cannot apply.

MT-generalist

62 months ago

She said her program hopes to start in 2011. I whole point of creating this doctorate according to her is to keep bright CLS students and gradutes in the CLS field and not go into PA, pharmacy, etc. That is why having a degree or post certificate in CLS is a requirement and without that you are not eligible.

62 months ago

well......it's not the MT degree that makes a med tech...the whole internship and experiences after ya finish and start working in labs and patient experiences that make one a med tech.....the DCLS is only for med techs and should be....just like med tech can't be pharmacist or therapist or anything else but med techs....a BS degree in science does not qualify a person to work in a lab and run tests and consult w.doctors etc.........this is why ASCP reuires that a person finish an approved lab internship......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MT-generalist

62 months ago

To answer your question Zeik there is not a online DCLS program (at least not that I know of) there will probably be one after a couple of years after they start graduating students.

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.