anybody ever enrolled in CLS program at UCI? or has been invited for the interview this year?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

uci-cls 2012 in Orange, California

26 months ago

I am applying for CLS program at UCI this year. I took all the prerequest courses online because I am still working full-time as researcher. So I did not take the lab courses. I also did not have any clinical lab experience. But I had a Ph.D in pharmaceutics. And I worked in research lab for 6 years. So I think my background is okey. My academic gpa is 3.75. My gpa for hematology and other required courses is 3.6. I thought at least I should have a chance to be interviewed. Unfortunately I am not selected for interview. I really love bench work. I want to give another try next year. Can anybody tell me how to make myself more competitive for the program? What else can I do? Actually I called around trying to find a volunteer position in any clinical lab. But I could not find one. How can I gain some clinical lab experience? I'll greatly appreciate any suggestion you can give. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

26 months ago

Don't waste your time. You are already overqualified for it. I had a BS degree before I did CLS, and you were a much better candidate than me. My gpa was 3.6. I looked at UCI but thought it was too competitive. I also thought of Cal St. Dominguez Hills, but thought it took too long to get the CLS.

I recommend Loma Linda's CLS program. If you apply now, you could get accepted before it starts in July. There is no interview for acceptance and it's only 2 years, and you get a BS in CLS afterwards. The first year is classes and the 2nd year is rotations. I was able to rotate at 4 different hospitals so had a great internship experience there. Half the students have BS degrees already. The only downside is it costs money. It was 60K for 2 years when I started around 8 years ago, so it is probably more now. You will be stuck with loans, but I worked per diem and full time and paid them off in 4 years.

I didn't want to wait around while my career stalled hoping for an acceptance. I made the right choice because 5 years after graduation, I'm section supervisor in a hospital lab and am satisfied with my career progress.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Thank CLS48 for your advice. If it's 10 years ago, I would definetely go for Loma Linda. But now I can not go. My husband work in Irvine. We have two young babies. Loma Linda is too far from our home. I also do not want to have 60K loan. That's too much for me. That's why I only apply for UCI. But it is really too competitively. But I heard UCSD is even more competitive (5 of 400?). I am not sure if I do some volunteer in clinical lab would help my next application. I can not lose again. I really hope anybody who was or will in UCI CLS program can help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

thebigbang0011 in Burbank, California

26 months ago

CLS148, I have been following your posts for a few months now...I think I decided on going for CLS instead of pharmacy (my original plan) and want to apply to Loma Linda but was wondering if I can email you to get some advice? I also already have a BS so this would be a second degree for me too. I'll post my email in case you don't want to post yours: the bigbang0011@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CLS48 in California

26 months ago

uci, I understand your situation, but if you cannot get in with those kind of stats now, I'm not sure applying again will help any. In fact, I think they will just reject you again. It's sad how difficult it is to get into CLS programs now in CA. It's almost as hard as Pharm and med school it seems like.

Bigbang, feel free to email me at clshemat@yahoo.com

thebigbang0011 in Burbank, California

25 months ago

thanks, emailed you :)

Jay in Irvine, California

25 months ago

Dear CLS48 I am curious what kind of salary you make as a supervisor. and how much you were making initially. If you dont mind sharing :) I would just like to know because I am considering pursuing a CLS

CLS48 in California

25 months ago

Jay in Irvine, California said: Dear CLS48 I am curious what kind of salary you make as a supervisor. and how much you were making initially. If you dont mind sharing :) I would just like to know because I am considering pursuing a CLS

When I started 5 years ago, I was making a little over $28.00 plus $4 graveyard shift differential. After that, I quickly switched to day shift and have been working days ever since.

Now, I make around 84K a year or just over $40 an hour. I believe this is adequate as I had no experience as a supervisor when I started last year. I do know that at reference labs other than LabCorp or Quest probably, supervisors get a similar pay even with 10 to 15 years of experience. This is because reference labs pay lower than hospital labs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jay in Irvine, California

25 months ago

thanks CLS48 for your prompt response. I just have 2 quick questions.

A) would you recommend going for the CLS - generalist? or a specialization?
B) are your credentials simply just B.S, CLS license? and are you in california?

CLS48 in California

25 months ago

A)I only recommend going for CLS generalist if you can. You limit yourself and job opportunities with the specialization.

B)Two BS degrees, one in CLS and yes in CA.

biotech in South San Francisco, California

24 months ago

CLS48, i was researching abt UCI VS Dominguez Hills CLS program and i ran into this blog. i need your advice, my daughter got accepted in DH as a freshman in BS CLS, her first priority was UCI but she applied in BS Biology not knowing that they have BS CLS, you think it is easy to transfer from DH to UCI after 1 sem? BTW, she was not accepted in BS Biology, thats why i am thinking maybe to transfer to UCI's BS CLS after 1 sem in DH. What do you think about BS CLS in DH? I also heard about the Loma Linda and that is way too expensive for us.

CLS48 in California

24 months ago

UCI is a better school than Cal St. Dominguez Hills. However, with the CSUDH program, she will do her undergraduate in CLS,and then after she satisfies her prereqs, she can apply to the internship portion of the program through an interview. The good thing about that is only CSUDH undergrad students can apply to the internship CLS portion, so there is less competition.

UCI doesn't have a BS CLS as far as I know. They just have a 1 year internship program. To apply for that, students have to have a BS degree already. Also, it's much harder to get into UCI's program with only 10 spots available, because people from all over the state apply to it. Even if she went to UCI and received a BS degree from there, there's no guarantee she will get into their CLS program. In fact, I don't think any special preference is given to UCI students vs non UCI students when applying for it.

If she wants CLS, I'd recommend CSUDH in her situation because it will give her the best chance to get it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gksidhu in Livingston, California

24 months ago

Hii I got a letter from CSUDH saying that I am accepted to the post-bacch program for this upcoming year but this is the last thing I have heard from them :/ its so confusing because I have tried to contact the person in charge but so far I have heard nothing about which classes to sign up for and what other steps I need to take before starting the program. Has anyone else had the same issue? Advice? Help? Thanks!

CLSstudentUCIMC in Anaheim, California

24 months ago

uci-cls 2012: I'm actually one of the 10 students that were accepted last year to UCIMC's CLS program and am currently going through the training program. I'm sorry to hear that you weren't given an interview position... and you said you already had all your pre-reqs done? Maybe you do need the lab portion to some of those courses (especially the micro related courses). Did you try contacting the training coordinator at UCIMC? Her name is Laura Ogata. She's incredibly knowledgable and helpful and is a great resource. And as far as you being overqualified, we currently have a 35-year old student with a PhD in public health who had many years behind her in research labs. And there are other CLS programs (Cal State LA just started a new program last year...) you should look into.

Good luck! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

CLSstudentUCIMC in Anaheim, California said: uci-cls 2012: I'm actually one of the 10 students that were accepted last year to UCIMC's CLS program and am currently going through the training program. I'm sorry to hear that you weren't given an interview position... and you said you already had all your pre-reqs done? Maybe you do need the lab portion to some of those courses (especially the micro related courses). Did you try contacting the training coordinator at UCIMC? Her name is Laura Ogata. She's incredibly knowledgable and helpful and is a great resource. And as far as you being overqualified, we currently have a 35-year old student with a PhD in public health who had many years behind her in research labs. And there are other CLS programs (Cal State LA just started a new program last year...) you should look into.

Good luck! :)

I am so glad that you showed up here. I am selected by UCI as an alternate and waiting for a miracle. :-( If I can not get into the program this year, I'll give it another try next year. Because of my family issue, I can not move to other city. So UCI should still be my first choice. I want to gain some clinical lab experience this year so that my application next time can be more competitive. Do you know if it's possible to shadow somebody in the UCI pathology lab? Or what kind of position in clinical lab does not need a license? Thank you so much for your help!

CLS48 in California

24 months ago

uci-cls 2012 in Orange, California said: I am so glad that you showed up here. I am selected by UCI as an alternate and waiting for a miracle. :-( If I can not get into the program this year, I'll give it another try next year. Because of my family issue, I can not move to other city. So UCI should still be my first choice. I want to gain some clinical lab experience this year so that my application next time can be more competitive. Do you know if it's possible to shadow somebody in the UCI pathology lab? Or what kind of position in clinical lab does not need a license? Thank you so much for your help!

I'd recommend applying to LLU's CLS program. You could still probably be accepted for the August class if the class isn't full and it will take you 2 years from not to be a CLS. The commute is not as bad as other commutes from Orange to Loma Linda although living there would be ideal.

Realistically, if you don't get in this year to UCI, I doubt you would get in next year. Then what happens if you apply and don't get in next year? That's two more years wasted when you could have been a CLS by then. You're putting too much pressure on yourself to get accepted to a school that has only 10 spots.

CLSstudentUCIMC in Anaheim, California

24 months ago

uci-cls 2012 in Orange, California said: I am so glad that you showed up here. I am selected by UCI as an alternate and waiting for a miracle. :-( If I can not get into the program this year, I'll give it another try next year. Because of my family issue, I can not move to other city. So UCI should still be my first choice. I want to gain some clinical lab experience this year so that my application next time can be more competitive. Do you know if it's possible to shadow somebody in the UCI pathology lab? Or what kind of position in clinical lab does not need a license? Thank you so much for your help!

I actually don't know if there's any way of doing a shadowing rotation at UCIMC pathology... Like I said, your best source of info would be Laura Ogata here at UCIMC. But honestly, if you made it as an alternate this year and reapply next year, you have a good chance at making it into the program. It shows that you're comitted to the CLS track if you reapply. During your interview, did they ask you what you would do if you didn't get into the program this year? Basically, the answer they're looking for is that you would reapply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

CLSstudentUCIMC in Anaheim, California said: I actually don't know if there's any way of doing a shadowing rotation at UCIMC pathology... Like I said, your best source of info would be Laura Ogata here at UCIMC. But honestly, if you made it as an alternate this year and reapply next year, you have a good chance at making it into the program. It shows that you're comitted to the CLS track if you reapply. During your interview, did they ask you what you would do if you didn't get into the program this year? Basically, the answer they're looking for is that you would reapply.

Thanks! I did tell them that I would reapply if I can not get in this year. But I just do not feel secured if all my qualifications do not change during this year. I think the only way to make me more competitive than other applicants is to spend some time in any clinical lab. But I just do not know how to get in. It seems no clinical lab is willing to take volunteer. :-( You meantioned that there is one student in your class has similar background as me: a phD with multiple years research lab experience. Do you mind to ask her if I can talk with her? I really would like to get some suggestions from her. My email is jasmine_cyu@yahoo.com.
Thank you so much for your help!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.