CPL - How low would you go?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

MissaMT in Arnold, California

69 months ago

The average going rate, according to a few other forums I have looked up, is 6-8cpl. But how low would you be willing to go?
f
As a new MT who needs the experience, I'd be willing to work for 4 cpl, maybe even 3 cpl just to get the experience. I know it sounds crazy, but maybe I'm just desperate enough to do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MedTranHome in Washington

69 months ago

I have an MT cpl poll in my blog. It's on the left side of the page, just scroll down a little bit to see it. The lowest rate was 7.5 cpl and the highest rate was 18 cpl.

Acceptance of extremely low rates sets a bad precedent for all MTs.

69 months ago

Perhaps it is, but getting a job and keeping food on the table is more important to some people. Those people who don't have the experience required by companies willing to pay them the average, or give them the experience, despite passing the qualifications on their tests... what should they do? Wait? While they lose their houses and go on welfare?

69 months ago

If an MT is well trained and qualified to do the work, she should be able to get 6 cpl out of school, maybe 5 cpl with some mentoring to help her along. Some training track courses pay very poorly but give additional training along with it to make up for the low pay. Something like that would be constructive. But 3 cpl...that's beyond desperation and brings pay scales down for all newbies.

If you're actually producing work for a company/clinic/service, without being in some kind of training track program, you can do better than 3 cpl.

Don't sell yourself short.

69 months ago

As someone who has applied and passed numerous tests and not yet found a job, I find it a bit discouraging. I have been notified that my results were above acceptable quality and yet I've been told I lack the experience necessary. Does anyone have any other hints than sheer desperation?

69 months ago

Have you only been applying with the large national companies? If so, you might want to try applying with small local MT services. Look in the yellow pages in your town and neighboring towns as well. Sometimes smaller services are easier to get on with than the nationals.

For nationals, have you tried Spheris? I saw a couple ads from other companies recently on MT Daily's job board that said they'd accept newbies as well.

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll find something.

69 months ago

I'll keep looking, as I always do. I have tried most of the national companies, including Spheris ;) Thanks again.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.