EMRs get rid of need for medical transcriptionists

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

jimmie in Markham, Illinois

31 months ago

I have been a medical transcriptionist for decades and all the doctor's offices are currently implementing EMR (electronic medical records) and every person I know who is doing transcription is being fired!!! Any tips from anyone on where to find jobs now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Shauna in Mishawaka, Indiana

31 months ago

This is something I am concerned about as well.

I am looking into MT as something I can do from home to make some extra money for my husband and I (he works often, and his schedule is sporadic, so we don't want to have me go out and get a job where I work the only day he has off a week, which changes). I've been looking into Career Step, and I have been told by several people that EMR will actually increase the need for MTs, though the way things are done might be different. My mother-in-law works as one, and says nothing has been said by anyone she works with about this being an issue. But then I see things like this. I am concerned about paying for an education for something that will be gone in 2 years. I am aware the work is hard, and you don't make much unless you are fantastically fast, however.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

valentine in West Jordan, Utah

31 months ago

Shauna in Mishawaka, Indiana said: This is something I am concerned about as well.

I am looking into MT as something I can do from home to make some extra money for my husband and I (he works often, and his schedule is sporadic, so we don't want to have me go out and get a job where I work the only day he has off a week, which changes). I've been looking into Career Step, and I have been told by several people that EMR will actually increase the need for MTs, though the way things are done might be different. My mother-in-law works as one, and says nothing has been said by anyone she works with about this being an issue. But then I see things like this. I am concerned about paying for an education for something that will be gone in 2 years. I am aware the work is hard, and you don't make much unless you are fantastically fast, however.

EMR/EHRs have reduced the need for actual transcriptionists, though the need for MT editors will probably take their place, at a MUCH lower pay! You can probably expect to get about .04-.06 cents per line, and at the average requirement of 1200 lines per day for an 8 hour day, that equals to about $6-$9 an hour.

Plus, most MTs are Independent Contractors, which means they do not get any type of employee benefits, must pay their own taxes and the nature of contract work is that the work is not steady, you may be overwhelmed with too much work one week and have no work the next. If this is just to supplement your husbands income, it might work out for you, but this field has deteriorated quickly in the last 5 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Paula in West Greenwich, Rhode Island

27 months ago

I'm in the same boat. I have been an independent medical transcriptionist for 15 years. With no notice at all, I was replaced by EHR. Now, I am unemployed. Thank you President Obama! Not sure what to do now. Maybe I'll start an Ebay business of some type. Welcome any advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Southwest Brevard Cnty, Florida

26 months ago

Paula in West Greenwich, Rhode Island said: I'm in the same boat. I have been an independent medical transcriptionist for 15 years. With no notice at all, I was replaced by EHR. Now, I am unemployed. Thank you President Obama! Not sure what to do now. Maybe I'll start an Ebay business of some type. Welcome any advice.

I am in the same boat as well. I as well have been a transcriber for 15 years and am now unemployed due to EMR and have lost all of my doctors because of it. I even have a call in system that I payed for and now won't be used. If any one knows of any way to find doctors that aren't switching, It would be greatly appreciated. I looked into the bigger companies and they want shift work and weekends. I have never had to do that. This is why I work at home to have flexible hours with my family. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

26 months ago

Jennifer in Southwest Brevard Cnty, Florida said: I am in the same boat as well. I as well have been a transcriber for 15 years and am now unemployed due to EMR and have lost all of my doctors because of it. I even have a call in system that I payed for and now won't be used. If any one knows of any way to find doctors that aren't switching, It would be greatly appreciated. I looked into the bigger companies and they want shift work and weekends. I have never had to do that. This is why I work at home to have flexible hours with my family. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This field will eventually succumb to automation like typewriter repairman. Within the next few years, most medical practices will have to be EMR compliant - in case some kind of Obamacare takes place.

Sooner or later, you will have to retrain in something else. My niece is an MA and she is thinking about welding school or cosmetology. Seriously. LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pooltablegranny@aol.com in Madison, Tennessee

23 months ago

jimmie in Markham, Illinois said: I have been a medical transcriptionist for decades and all the doctor's offices are currently implementing EMR ( electronic medical records) and every person I know who is doing transcription is being fired!!! Any tips from anyone on where to find jobs now?

There are no medical transcription jobs anymore. Everything has gone to EMR. I've been a MT for a couple of decades myself and now am drawing unemployment due to losing my job because of EMT conversion. People are wasting their time, money and effort by taking MT classes. Need to focus on medical billing and coding or EMR certification instead. Nothing pays as well as MT did so get used to lower pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

23 months ago

A friend of mine said medical coding is going that way too, yet you see the songbirds writing on here how lucky they are to get into a program. Why can't they see the writing on the wall?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

evelyn in East Providence, Rhode Island

15 months ago

Hi Paula! I know this post was almost a year ago but I just saw it and thought I'd reply. I've been a transcriptionist for about 15 years. I lost my job 11 months ago too. Lost my full time job one Friday and my part time job working from home the following Friday. I've tried working for a private psychologist, but his method of doing things was so complicated I just couldn't do it. This guy is always looking for someone to do his typing. Now I know why. I also tried working for a big service with an office in Cranston, though they're based in AZ. The woman running the office talked to me like I was stupid and was almost accusing me of being a slacker, even though I'd only worked a day for her and put in the required amount of hours. The dictations were all fuzzy and the system didn't allow me to turn the volume up, the docs were all foreign with very heavy accents, and instead of starting me on something a little easier and more familiar, this lady told me I had to take whatever came on the system - you couldn't refuse. This meant that even though I've never done radiology or oncology, I had to try to type those specialities dictated by someone with a heavy Indian (mostly) accent who sounded like he had a peanut butter sandwich in his mouth. I quit after one day. I want to find someone a little more local.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paula in Brooksville, Florida

15 months ago

Evelyn, Sorry to hear about your job lost. The only thing I'm typing these days is occasional lawyer letters for the doctor I used to do dictation. I took an online test to do verbatim dictation, i.e., police interviews. I didn't do too well. There is a whole set of different rules for this type of dictation. You are to transcribe just as is with grammatical errors and all. I hated it. The tester told me to practice and try again, but I didn't. At this stage, at the age of 58, I considered myself retired. The thoughts of going back to school at this stage is very unappealing to me. My prediction for EMRs is failure in years to come and a lot of lawsuits. Time will tell. I feel worse for those young people who had/have just graduated and looking for a transcription job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paula in Brooksville, Florida

15 months ago

no thanks. Retired now. I care for my mother, who lives with us and my disabled husband. But thanks for the consideration.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Penniann Daniel in Cupertino, California

14 months ago

Hi Evelyn: I'm sorry to hear about your transcription jobs. I worked for twenty-seven years as a Medical transcriptionist. The last twenty years I have worked at the same hospital in Radiology Transcription. In 2011 my job was replaced by voice recognition. This was about the time I turned fifty. I managed to transfer to Women's Clinic as a clerk, and take a pay cut of almost ten dollars an hour. I didn't know what I was doing, and they don't do a lot of training there. Then I transferred to Outpatient Surgery to a Unit Assistant. Oops, that was horrible. No training there either. Maybe about a week of following around the other Unit Assistant who yelled at me a lot, lol. After that, Women's clinic took me back thank goodness. I then transferred to a call center in the same hospital. Well, oops again, I answer calls for ten departments. I never worked in a call center before, and again hardly no training. I'm struggling now to prove to management that I can do the job.I was depressed for a couple of years, but I still have a job, even though they may think I'm slow. I think I'm starting to slowly feel better. I have been in school for four years now for medical coding. I have one more class left, but they now require two additional ICD-10 classes to graduate, which stretches it out another year. I can't quit now because of all of the time I put into medical coding. I can relate to everyone who lost their medical transcription jobs, and I'm very sorry for all of you. This is not easy to go through. Maybe talking with each other here might be a good thing. One thing I know is that with all of the healthcare changes going on, there should be other jobs former transcriptionists can do. We have a skill.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

mnewman1113@comcast.net in Knoxville, Tennessee

11 months ago

I totally understand all of you transcriptionists. I have done medical transcription 42 years and have been with the past company 16 years 3 months and was just let go due to voice recognition. They kept one person who seems to be a paper pusher now and is doing editing. Several of us lost all benefits. I am now 57, single, lost my home, etc. I guess at this point I am overqualified so some say and in a real difficult situation. I pray I find something really soon and I pray this for you all as well. It is a difficult world we live in these days and few seem to care.

Penniann Daniel in Cupertino, California

11 months ago

mnewman1113@comcast.net in Knoxville, Tennessee said: I totally understand all of you transcriptionists. I have done medical transcription 42 years and have been with the past company 16 years 3 months and was just let go due to voice recognition. They kept one person who seems to be a paper pusher now and is doing editing. Several of us lost all benefits. I am now 57, single, lost my home, etc. I guess at this point I am overqualified so some say and in a real difficult situation. I pray I find something really soon and I pray this for you all as well. It is a difficult world we live in these days and few seem to care.

I'm very sorry that you lost your job of sixteen years. I think the hardest part for me is accepting that transcription is gone, and I will never have my old job back. I'm in Silicon Valley where everything is high tech, except me, lol. I have been working as a clerk at the hospital I work at, and I hated it at first. I didn't know what I was doing in the busy OB Gyn Department, and felt very out of place and slow. Now I'm in a small call center and finally starting to realize I can do it. I'm answering calls for about thirteen departments. I'm not saying that I'm happy doing this, but I'm better than I was a year ago. For some of us, I think it's going to take time to get readjusted to life again, but we will. Won't we? Just kidding. I realize now that I just want to be ok fast, and that won't happen. I have been in medical coding classes for five years and almost done now. Some days I feel like screaming, but some days I feel good that I'm trying so hard.

marge b in Knoxville in Knoxville, Tennessee

8 months ago

mnewman1113@comcast.net in Knoxville, Tennessee said: I totally understand all of you transcriptionists. I have done medical transcription 42 years and have been with the past company 16 years 3 months and was just let go due to voice recognition. They kept one person who seems to be a paper pusher now and is doing editing . Several of us lost all benefits. I am now 57, single, lost my home, etc. I guess at this point I am overqualified so some say and in a real difficult situation. I pray I find something really soon and I pray this for you all as well. It is a difficult world we live in these days and few seem to care.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I am in the Knoxville area too. After 7 years of transcribing from home I am getting little work. Mostly just prn backup for a dermatologist who has so far refused to switch over to EMR because of the cost. Cheaper to pay the fine. I made great money working at home for a large cancer group but lost them a couple years ago due to voice recognition and EMR. Thinking about switching to coding but I fear the same situation coming. I am 55 but don't mind learning other skills just at a loss for what to do. Oddly, I used to work in the student loan industry in Knoxville but now those jobs have gone too.

Praying for you that you are able to find something. I am currently looking at community colleges/tech schools trying to decide which direction to go. Hope you will post updates and let us know how you are doing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.