Help!!! Having trouble with transcription!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 124)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

dlaurie483 in Toledo, Ohio

67 months ago

I am currently taking a Medical Transcription course and I am having a really difficult time with the transcription. I have been wondering if I've done the right thing by taking this course. My friend keeps telling me to check online to see if there are other jobs out there that I can do with the medical background (not necessarily the transcription portion). Does anyone know if there are any other jobs besides MT that I can get once I finish my course?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get through the transcription part of the course without going crazy? I seem to be having trouble with commas and understanding some of the fast talking dictators that no matter how much you slow them down doesn't make any difference in trying to understand them. I have heard of run on sentences, but how about run on words or a better term would be mumbled words.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Julie in La Puente, California

67 months ago

I am currently in the same situation. Which course are you taking? I am taking the MT course with career step. I agree, it is difficult, and at times I wonder if I made the right decision. However, I think that this is completely normal and the more time you put into it the easier it gets. I just figure with every report I screw up, I am learning. I am not sure what other position you could get with this training. There may be someone willing to hire you as a front office receptionist? Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sheri in Chandler, Arizona

67 months ago

Who ever put those commercials on T.V. should be shot. I have been in med. transcription for over 17 years now. No one tells you that the hard part is learning to listen. Every time I get a new doc I have to learn his/her style, accent, and preferences. In the long run, if you are willing to hang in there, it is worth it. Ours is a job that is secure. The docs cannot do without us, as long as we are willing to go the length with them, and sometimes beyond. We are their alibi (if you will) in malpractice cases, their stat connection if they forget to dictate a letter needed for pre-auth, the ear on the other end they depend on putting their words to print. Trust me, you may feel as though what you are doing doesn't matter to anyone but you, but it matters to the doctors, nurses, MAs, insurance companies, malpractice attorneys, and last, certainly not least, the patients, even if they don't know it. If you are in it to make a quick buck, get out. If you are truly dedicated to making this job work for you, stick with it, you will be fine. Use all of your resources. Talk to people just like you are talking here. MTStar is a place to go, if they are still around. Email me if you need other resources, and I will find them. Research is also a part of this job.

Anyhow, good luck to you all, and try to remember how important this job is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

BTW my email address is nightone@cox.net.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

I am going through Allied Medical School. They sounded really good. I like the fact that they had a Job Assistance Network and that they also had a Career Center. I am just having trouble with the transcription. Which is driving me crazy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

What exactly is it you are having trouble with? Can you be more specific?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Basically it seems like punctuation. Where I think there should be a comma, they don't. Where they think there should be a comma, I don't. Sometimes I am just having trouble understanding what they are saying. Especially, when they are mumbling and talking a million miles a minute. I try to slow it down, but sometimes you just can't understand the mumble. Maybe I'm having a little trouble with grammar, but I'm not really sure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Ah, I see. I got a great book through transcriptiongear.com. It's called Medical Transcription Guide Do's and Don'ts. It's a great resource for the questions about punctuation and grammer. Unfortunately it is not going to make the dictation any clearer, and all I can tell you about that is you have to get used to the person's voice. Be patient. I promise it will pay off down the road. If you go to transcriptiongear.com to order the book talk to Ryan Marie Knight. She's great and can hook you up with anything you need. Are you guys allowed to have someone else listen to the dictation, one of your classmates? When I worked in an office we used to do that all the time, occasionally having the boss listen too. Anyhow, good luck to you. I hope some of this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Unfortunately, I don't have anyway to talk to any of my classmates. There is a chat center, but it never seems to work. So I guess I'm on my own there. Thank you for all your help. I am trying to be patient....waiting for it to just click (as I have been told by some that it would).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

There is a really good web site called mtstars.com. Check it out. You can even run words past them.

It will click in, just try not to get too frustrated. School is so much different than the actual job.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Wondrnthru in Smyrna, Tennessee

66 months ago

If your instructor is marking something wrong on your work, they should also be providing you with clear feedback concerning why it's wrong! They should be referring to materials you have been provided from the transcription school, citing pages, paragraphs, etc., to point you in the right direction to reference these issues yourself and to underscore the correct punctuation, etc. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Terri Mu in Bakersfield, California

66 months ago

Be patient and try some online resources to help you out. A site like this would probably make things easier for you.

medicaltranscriptionwordhelp.googlepages.com

Mtstars, gomdt are other useful word boards. You can post questions there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Terri Mu in Bakersfield, California

66 months ago

Another useful resource that could probably help you is a Google search engine for medical transcriptionists. It searches MT and medical websites. Its called Medical Transcription Word Seeker - maybe you could use it to find your s/l's quicker.

Just type "Medical Transcription Word Seeker" in quotes on Google and you can access this wonderful tool.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

M_Woods in Citrus Heights, California

65 months ago

I having been trying to finish my course and I am stuck - I don't know anyone in the field so I have been trying to find help online. Here it is...
I am typing a Psychiatry Consultation and as I was trying to figure out what a word was. I think that it was a number "4" so it leads me to believe that I need to change the format from paragraph form to numbering or leave it the way it is???

REVIEW OF PAST MEDICAL RECORDS
Doctor diagnosed tachycardia, atherosclerotic heart disease, (4th) post-angioplasty, coronary heart disease, history of alcohol abuse, and asthma.

this continues for a total of 8 new paragraghs starting with "Doctor diagnosed"

any help would be great.
You can email me directly at megz2001@yahoo.com
Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JMH in Elkhart, Indiana

63 months ago

dlaurie483 in Toledo, Ohio said:
Dear dlaurie:
Depending on how far you are into the course, but if I were you, I would do the medical coding course. I believe there is more of a demand for coding than medical transcription. It is hard to get a job starting out in transcription, everyone wants experience. I have been doing transcription for 20 years, just lost my job and I can't pay somebody to give me a job!! Coding seems to be the thing now. Something else that I think is quite in demand is court reporting. You can finish that course earlier than the transcription. Transcription really never gets any easier especially in a hospital where there are so many foreign docs now. Good luck to you. PS, If I had it to do all over again, I would go to nursing school, thats where the $$$ is!!

JMH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sschoden in Los Angeles, California

60 months ago

dlaurie483 in Toledo, Ohio said: I am going through Allied Medical School. They sounded really good. I like the fact that they had a Job Assistance Network and that they also had a Career Center. I am just having trouble with the transcription. Which is driving me crazy.

I am in the same program and came across your post in this forum. How did you end up doing? I only have one chapter and the final left to go....but it's certainly not easy. If I post what I have trascribed, can you help kinda guide me in the right direction? I don't know anyone in the trascription field either and getting help from Allied is very difficult. Maybe I can even email you directly what I have....I tried pasting it in here but I don't think there's enough room...

Let me know...I would really appreciate some knowledgeable help!

Thanks!

Stephanie

60 months ago

Stephanie,

That woudl be great! It would be so nice to talk to someone from the same school. If you want to email me, my email is dlaurie483@bex.net I would love to here from you. I am currently on Chapter 15. I have a whole sentence I don't get. I just had to re-enroll so I could finish the course, but I want to get it done soooo bad!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Oh fantastic!!! Perfect!! Which sentence in Chapter 15...I'll see if I got that one. I'm fighting with Chapter 17 right now. I've already transcribed everything including the final....just proofreading and trying to figure out certain sentences/words.

Let's get you caught up to where I'm at and we'll work together/compare notes for the rest of it. Sound good?

This program is making me pretty much insane...haa haa haa haa

60 months ago

Oh yeah...and my email is stephschodensack@sbcglobal.net...

That might be a better way to converse for this..... :-)

vintage_lover in Boca Raton, Florida

59 months ago

dlaurie483 in Toledo, Ohio said: I am currently taking a Medical Transcription course and I am having a really difficult time with the transcription. I have been wondering if I've done the right thing by taking this course. My friend keeps telling me to check online to see if there are other jobs out there that I can do with the medical background (not necessarily the transcription portion). Does anyone know if there are any other jobs besides MT that I can get once I finish my course?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get through the transcription part of the course without going crazy? I seem to be having trouble with commas and understanding some of the fast talking dictators that no matter how much you slow them down doesn't make any difference in trying to understand them. I have heard of run on sentences, but how about run on words or a better term would be mumbled words.

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am trying to find a school to become a mediccal transcriptionist. Does anyone have any type of info about this career schools etc. Anything would be helpful.

Here are some of the schools I am looking at. Any other recomendations would be great! Also who do the schools have to be accredidted by in order for me to work?

Thanks so much in advance"

A&H Training Corp
THE ANDREWS SCHOOL
CAREER STEP
CENTRAL TEXAS COLLEGE
DACOTA COLLEGE
EVERETT COMMUNITY COLLEGE
EXACT MED
LAKESHORE TECHNICAL SCHOOL
MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTION EDU CENTER
MEDLINE SCHOOL
RICHLAND COMMUNITY COLLEGE
ROANE STATE
SEMINOLE COMMUNITY COLLEGE
TRSI INSTITUTE
TRANSMED
WINTERPARK TECH

Again any help on any of these would be helpful. I am trying to get school done quickly and not work and just do school. Any help on anything that I can do quickly would be a great help!
Thank you!
SHERIDAN TECHINCAL CENTER

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

I don't know much about any of those schools, but I wouldn't recommend the one I am going to. Email me at dlaurie483@bex.net if you have questions.

JerFlan in Boston

59 months ago

Barbara Deaton in Bakersfield, California said: A really good website that could make things much easier for you is this one.

medicaltranscriptionwordhelp.synthasite.com

You'd find a lot of useful word lists in there to help you. Also, there is a good collection of operative samples in there. Good luck!!

Thanks - what a cool site. Think this might help me quite a bit. Thanks again for sharing :)

shelley in Kent, Washington

59 months ago

sschoden in Los Angeles, California said: Oh fantastic!!! Perfect!! Which sentence in Chapter 15...I'll see if I got that one. I'm fighting with Chapter 17 right now. I've already transcribed everything including the final....just proofreading and trying to figure out certain sentences/words.

Let's get you caught up to where I'm at and we'll work together/compare notes for the rest of it. Sound good?

This program is making me pretty much insane...haa haa haa haa

I feel your pain. I am also doing allied and Im almost regretting it.I am transcribing the finals now. OMG I will be so glad when Ive completed this insaneness.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

I am also working on the final now. Wow...it's pretty wild! lol If you want, email me and we can maybe help each other through it. stephschodensack@sbcglobal.net

nightone in Chandler, Arizona

58 months ago

The best advice I can give you is learn to adapt to accents, surround yourself with MT word books (transcriptiongear.com is a great source for books and downloads), and just listen. Definitely get Stedman's Medical Dictionary (the CD rom is the best). If you can catch the beginning of a word, or the end of a word you can search it on your own computer. mtstar.com is a great place for help too.

It's a great job, really! I've been at it since 1992. Hang in there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dudemom in Tacoma, Washington

58 months ago

I have gone to mtstar.com also and did get good help there but just be positive and take everything with a grain of salt, there is alot of negativity on there.

MrsMorgan in Victorville, California

58 months ago

Hello Everyone!

I am a former Medical Transcription student who changed my career path after reading about how hard it is for transcriptionists to get work. I am currently writing a paper for college and would love for someone that has been in the Medical Transcription field to answer some questions for me. My paper is about how technology is affecting the transcription field. I will give the questions I have to whoever is interested. Anything will be helpful! Thank you! My email is mrs_morgan0515@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

aarmenti in Cleveland, Georgia

58 months ago

I am also enrolled in Allied's transcription program and feeling like I made the WRONG choice. I am on Chapter 13 and have failed 2 previous assignemts. I am very worried about even being able to PASS the final. At this point I just can't see it happening, and it looks like money down the drain. I really like doing it, but I guess I am not very good at it. Like the others, I have a huge problem with the punctuation. I think I am ok with the fast/mumbled speech, however, when you have several sentences that seem to be all thrown together into one, its hard knowing where to put a period and where a comma goes. It seems like whatever I do, its wrong. I don't know of any other college where you have to get a 97% in order to graduate. Its very hard when you aren't dealing with getting help from an actual PERSON, a lot harder than I thought. I need someone to look at my work and steer me in the right direction, before I go and blow the whole thing by submitting a transcript that I thought I did great on. Its quite embarassing. Can anyone help??? Please email me: whitaspiff@windstream.net

kristi krouse in Leander, Texas

57 months ago

hey there, i came across your discussion when i googled allied medical school finals for transcription. Sounds like we are in the same boat, i am finishing up my proofreading for the finals and i am freaking out. I swear, i officially hate commas! i am just wondering if anyone is or has taken these tests, i am so scared!

Becky B. in Pelzer, South Carolina

57 months ago

kristi krouse in Leander, Texas said: hey there, i came across your discussion when i googled allied medical school finals for transcription. Sounds like we are in the same boat, i am finishing up my proofreading for the finals and i am freaking out. I swear, i officially hate commas! i am just wondering if anyone is or has taken these tests, i am so scared!

Hi Kristi, I was just surfing and came across this thread. I got my MT experience on the job years ago and I can tell you that in reality many transcribers don't punctuate so my advice to you would be not to worry about it so much. Seriously!

Dreamie in Jackson, Mississippi

56 months ago

I'm a newbie that's has a question about the company test for employment. Ready to start testing but I'm a little concerned about what the companies want on the test that they require you to take. How do they grade the test?
1.Correct report format.
2.Punctuation.
3.Spelling & grammar.
Any advise would be appreciated before I begin my journey.

Lori P in Cincinnati, Ohio

55 months ago

Barbara Deaton in Bakersfield, California said: A really good website that could make things much easier for you is this one.

medicaltranscriptionwordhelp.synthasite.com

You'd find a lot of useful word lists in there to help you. Also, there is a good collection of operative samples in there. Good luck!!

Cool - thanks for this. Looks like a handy site!

restlessmt in Lewiston, Maine

54 months ago

Does anyone know how to find out what the entry level pay is for national medical transcription companies like MedQuist and Spheris? I've hard that MedQuist is easier to get into, but the pay is lower than at Spheris. When I visited their website (MedQuist), I didn't see mention of the line rate of pay. What is the entry level salary there? I read information in a seperate article that they will hire someone fresh out of school, but that the pay is very low. What does "low" mean? Does anyone know what web site I might visit to cut through the chase and find out this kind of information? I'd love to visit a web site for MTs that rates transcription companies and reports not only their requirements but their salary rage and what is required to be paid at each level of expertise, etc. There is no source of information greater than MTs themselves! And believe me, companies don't want us talking to each other about some things, but that's the only way to stay empowered and keep each other empowered. My best to everyone. I enjoyed all of the posts and I could relate so much to the troubles and frustrations. I benefited equally to the suggestions for help and cool web sites to visit. You're the greatest! Thanks!

tatsiana in Denver, Colorado

53 months ago

kori in Stevensville, Michigan said: I have just finished my course from u.s. career institute and i have been unsuccessful in finding a job. It sucks! who are you taking the course through?

i am taking the same course. do you have the answers for those quizes. if you could help me out with that.

tatsiana in Denver, Colorado

53 months ago

please help

dancechris in Dublin, Ohio

53 months ago

Is anyone taking the at-home professions course in medical transcription? I am more than half way through the course and am going crazy. It is so hard to understand. I was wondering if someone would like to work together with me? I would really appreciate it!!

Mindy in Tucson, Arizona

53 months ago

Glad to know I'm not the only one struggling. I have no problems listening, understanding, and even typing what I hear. My problem is putting it the the correct format and proofreading it. I feel so lost when it comes to that aspect. Super discouraged.

hulawho in Clovis, New Mexico

53 months ago

I am taking the self paced course through A&H Training. I get so frustrated and drive myself crazy when I get stuck on a word/phrase that I can't seem to understand. I will try the above listed online resources and hope that they can provide some insight to my struggles. I'm glad to learn that I'm not the only student out there going through these problems. There isn't a student chat room that I can discuss these issues with others. At this point I'm just hoping to stick it out and make it through to the end.

nightone in Chandler, Arizona

53 months ago

I think the strongest piece of advice I can give anyone wishing to go into medical transcription is to do it for the right reasons: First, don't do it just because you can work out of your home, especially if you have babies or small children; second, take an anatomy/physiology course at your local community college or an online course, that is a tremendous help. Probably the most difficult-but-essential part of transcription is learning to listen. If you can even catch the beginning of a word, or the end of a word, you can usually find what it is, if you have the proper books and web sites as tools. TranscriptionGear.com is a great place to start. They have a web site called MTcorner.com. A more recent discovery of my own is how valuable a good headset is. TranscriptionGear.com can help out in the area too, and no I am not employed by them, just a grateful customer.

I wish there was more I could tell you, but as long as you are determined to stick it out you really should do fine. No job is easy in the beginning. I love my job, have been at it for over 18 years now, and I make a good living that (knock on wood) has not been affected by the economy.

Good luck to you,

Sheri

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Erin in Austin, Texas

51 months ago

dlaurie483 in Toledo, Ohio said: I am going through Allied Medical School. They sounded really good. I like the fact that they had a Job Assistance Network and that they also had a Career Center. I am just having trouble with the transcription. Which is driving me crazy.

I am also taking the MT course through Allied. Are you certified yet? I am having a hard time with the course, and am getting worried about finding a job after I finish so any advice would be great if you have already been where I am at!

Erin in Austin, Texas

51 months ago

hulawho in Clovis, New Mexico said: I am taking the self paced course through A&H Training. I get so frustrated and drive myself crazy when I get stuck on a word/phrase that I can't seem to understand. I will try the above listed online resources and hope that they can provide some insight to my struggles. I'm glad to learn that I'm not the only student out there going through these problems. There isn't a student chat room that I can discuss these issues with others. At this point I'm just hoping to stick it out and make it through to the end.

I am also struggling along in my MT course. I wish there was a chat room or something to go to to talk about problems I am having with certain transcription issues!

Erin in Austin, Texas

51 months ago

dancechris in Dublin, Ohio said: Is anyone taking the at-home professions course in medical transcription? I am more than half way through the course and am going crazy. It is so hard to understand. I was wondering if someone would like to work together with me? I would really appreciate it!!

I would love to work with you. I am also about mid way through my MT course and would love to have someone to help me out and vice versa!

51 months ago

Erin in Austin, Texas said: I would love to work with you. I am also about mid way through my MT course and would love to have someone to help me out and vice versa!

That sounds great Erin! I am on th last course and it is hard. I will say I am getting better at understanding the doctors, I still stuggle with the outline cause it changes in the last course to a bunch of new ones. I love to work with you. My name is christina and my email is christinbeck375@hotmail.com. Email me and let me know if you would like to work together and I really appreciate the response cause it makes me crazy trying to figure this out!!!

Mindy in Tucson, Arizona

51 months ago

I too wish there was a way to chat with each other and help one another. I'm on the mid term 2 and am stuck with the outline part only. That seems to be what gets me every time is the outline. I'm really beginning to question rather or not this is for me.

Mindy in Tucson, Arizona

51 months ago

I'm also worried about finding work through the Allied help after completion if I even make through.

Erin in Austin, Texas

51 months ago

I tried to e-mail you Christina, it wouldn't go through for some reason! If anyone wants to chat/e-mail eachother and hopefully help eachother out, my e-mail is erin.ziggy@yahoo.com. I'm not sure what people are talking about when they say they are having trouble with the "outline" part. I am on the second part of the course through Allied, and would love to have someone to talk to about it and ideas on what to do once I finish the course. I am really worried about the final aince I am having a hard time reaching the target accuracy for each entry. E-mail me if anyone is having similiar issues please!

51 months ago

Erin in Austin, Texas said: I tried to e-mail you Christina, it wouldn't go through for some reason! If anyone wants to chat/e-mail eachother and hopefully help eachother out, my e-mail is erin.ziggy@yahoo.com. I'm not sure what people are talking about when they say they are having trouble with the "outline" part. I am on the second part of the course through Allied, and would love to have someone to talk to about it and ideas on what to do once I finish the course. I am really worried about the final aince I am having a hard time reaching the target accuracy for each entry. E-mail me if anyone is having similiar issues please!

I'm sorry. The A at the end of my name was left out. My email is christinabeck375@hotmail.com. Please try again if you like. You can ask me specific questions from there and I will try to help. What I meant by the outline is the format, such as formats for discharge summaries and history and physicals. In the last chapter they change the format alot!!

Jessica in Austin, Texas

50 months ago

Transcriptionaccessories.com is also a good place to find equipment though they carry mostly dictation equipment.

Crystal in Milford, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

Is anyone taking the course through At Home Professions. I also have been looking for someone to buddy up with. Please contact me via email if you can help crcorben@live.com Thanks

Crystal in Milford, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

dancechris in Dublin, Ohio said: Is anyone taking the at-home professions course in medical transcription? I am more than half way through the course and am going crazy. It is so hard to understand. I was wondering if someone would like to work together with me? I would really appreciate it!!

I am taking it and I am going crazy as well. I know you posted this 2m ago but I hope you get my message! Thanks my email is crcorben@live.com feel free to email me

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.