MT Training

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 67)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Jo in NJ in Toms River, New Jersey

86 months ago

What is better - go learn online or through your local 2 year college? What is the preference for an employer? Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in Cincinnati, Ohio

85 months ago

I almost always ask the candidate if they have graduated from a vo-tech program. The online courses do not prepare you enough for the work and thereby are a waste of your money. If you show the ambition to go to a vo-tech to learn, you are more apt to be prepared for all aspects of the job. I will not hire someone who has done an online class for six-seven weeks. They do not have the skills necessary to be sucessful.

That's my opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sheila kish in Adamsville, Ohio

85 months ago

i am in a two year college program i was wondering if you thought it was a wasye of time and money i hope not

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Heather, Ohio in Clyde, Ohio

85 months ago

I am a medical assistant and therefore i am skilled in medical transciption, i acutally went to an Adult Career Center and worked in the class room, is my knowledge enough to impress an employer looking for a medical transcriptionist? Or are they looking for someone who just focused on being a MT?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Monique in Clifton Park, New York

83 months ago

Hi JO. To your question above; I went to Apollo college (Vocational School)and had a job making $17-$20 hourly and stopped working because my husband was given an offer out of state; anyways, I am currently enrolled at Ashworth University for MT, medical billing and coding (keep in mind this is an online course that is self paced for your schedule0, it does not take more than a year depending on YOU and is very reasonable in price compared to other online courses. I find that with my choice of an online program it has giving me a wider opportunity with the medical field as far as what position to work in, place and location of states,that I would want a career. In the mean time I am starting my own business as an MT and have a job working for another derm office waiting for me. Remember your professionalism, an attitude to move foward is what gets you a good position, not where you get your education! Good luck with your decision and follow your heart!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Massachusetts in Easthampton, Massachusetts

83 months ago

In my opinion you need the two year degree or at the very least a certification program through a community college. Many individuals are proficient at processing dictated words, however, when they don't understand or can't clearly hear what the doctor is dictating, without the background education of anatomy and physiology to go along with all the terminology and transcription courses, then many bogus errors are made in transcription, and that is where the QUALITY comes in. It is extremely time-consuming and frustrating to read and correct someone's work because of erroneus mistakes. Get it right the first time and get the right education.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

amanda in Watertown, South Dakota

82 months ago

I would really like to find something that I could do at home on the computer. I don't have great experience with the computer, but I can learn quick. Any ideas for what I could do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nik in Wedowee, Alabama

80 months ago

Monique, I am interested in either taking medical transcription or coding online and Ashworth University is one of the schools I have been researching. Can you tell me a little about it? How happy are you with it so far and how far into it are you? I like the price of it, although I was hoping to get a loan or grant as I am "financially challenged" right now. I have also been looking at Career Step (which does offer loan assistance but no grants and the price is twice Ashworths) and Everett Community College (accepts FASFA and has Pell Grant and price is 4X Ashworth) Can you or anyone give me any further info about any of these schools? I am subscribing to several forums and reading everything I can get my hands on about both fields. I did go to technical school back in the 70's and took Clerical. I haven't been in office work for quite some time - divorce put me in the mills to be able to support myself for a while, and after I remarried, I moved to a small town where the only work I could get was in mills or restaurants. I currently have an accurate typing speed of about 50 wpm, so will have to work on getting my speed up as well. As I get older, mill work is getting harder on my physically, and restaurant work is too low paying and frustrating, so I am committed to getting the education I need to improve my lifestyle. I am unable to take all the courses I need at the nearby community college and can't get to the other campuses, so the online route is my only viable option, I just want to make the right choice. Thanx for any help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Penni in Fort Myers, Florida

79 months ago

Hi Nik,

I am a student at Everett Community College and I have to let you know that it is a great program and well worth it. I am in my 5th semester and I graduate in March 2008. I have learned so much and I am very impressed with the program they run at EvCC. I would definately recommend it to anyone. I have to let you know up front that it is a very intense program. I am going part-time and I invest at least 15-30 hours a week. (sometimes a lot more) I have had my ups and downs on whether I chose the right career path because being an MT takes a lot of patience and practice. Just hang in there and give it your best. Good luck with everything! : )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

mtathome in Yorba Linda, California

78 months ago

The best schools are actually online, not voc-tech. MT companies hire new graduates of Andrews, M-Tec, and Career Step. They know those schools turn out MTs that are ready to work at home. Those are the top 3 MT schools.

AHDI has approved 11 online schools for MT, and you can find them listed on the AHDI website here:

www.ahdionline.org/scriptcontent/mtapproved.cfm

Stephenie Smith in Louisville, Kentucky

78 months ago

I am currently enrolled in Ashworth University Medical Transcription course and should graduate in 3 monthes. I am having a problem getting my assignments back with my grade, and I am starting to think I am being ripped off. I have been looking for work while attending school for the experience. Does anyone do that?
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dp in Jefferson City, Missouri

75 months ago

I am also taking the medical transcrption course with Ashworth. It took me 2 weeks to get each one of my tests back. I am having a very hard time finding a job that is not a scam. Best of luck!

holly in Orange Park, Florida

73 months ago

dp in Jefferson City, Missouri said: I am also taking the medical transcrption course with Ashworth. It took me 2 weeks to get each one of my tests back. I am having a very hard time finding a job that is not a scam. Best of luck!

please let me know if you find something.
i am considering going to ashworth as well and doing the MT program. should i be concerned that it's simply a diploma and not a degree?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

L in Naples, Florida

73 months ago

DO NOT GO TO ASHWORTH!!! I went there and it was terrible. I completely lucked out in finding a job but 99% of Ashworth grads never find one. Do not waste your time or money. Chances are, you will not get an MT job and be forced to either go back to school through one of the BIG 3 Schools, or have to 2 years of in-house training, if you can even find a hospital to give you the chance. One of my exams from them took 4 months to get back. They never answered my quesitons. I finished the course and felt 100% unsure of how to do work as an MT. I learned more in the first month of being an MT than I did in the 12 months I attended Ashworth. Save you time and money. If you truly want to be an MT (especially one who works from home) go to Andrews, M-Tec, or Career Step. The money you save by going to Ashworth, will prove to actually be a waste in the long run.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

tw in Summerville, South Carolina

73 months ago

I was looking into going to Brighton college online.. has anyone heard about them? I am just curious about your experiences..
thanks

TJill in New York, New York

73 months ago

As you can tell by my ISP location, I am located in a very big metro area. During one of their open houses, I went to a local college that was offering a certificate program in MT. I asked the director of the MT program about job placement and she said they absolutely do not offer any job placement and it is very difficult to get a job without experience. I even asked her if SHE (as a small MTSO) hired students and she said she didn't. So I decided their certificate was worthless. So that makes me go "hmmmm" when it comes to "live" school for MTs.

Then I started looking around for suitable online courses. Many years ago, I started the At-Home Professions MT course, but I never finished it. I decided not to do that again, because in my travels through online MT forums, I found that their graduates have a hard time getting jobs. The only schools that have the reputation of getting their graduates jobs are Andrews and M-TEC because large MTSOs know their programs are comprehensive and have had good experiences with their grads and will test their new grads without the applicant needing 2+ years of experience. (Of course you have to do well in your studies in order to be placed, but that's a given!) I have heard mixed things about Career Step's ability to help new grads get jobs, but generally it is considered the 3rd best school, while Andrews and M-TEC are tied for 1st. Note that Andrews and M-TEC are more expensive than other schools, but I think they are worth it if you are going to get a job out of it, provided you do well in your studies.

Julie

72 months ago

Nancy in Cincinnati, Ohio said: I almost always ask the candidate if they have graduated from a vo-tech program. The online courses do not prepare you enough for the work and thereby are a waste of your money. If you show the ambition to go to a vo-tech to learn, you are more apt to be prepared for all aspects of the job. I will not hire someone who has done an online class for six-seven weeks. They do not have the skills necessary to be sucessful.

That's my opinion.

I would like to venture MY opinion on THIS opinion. First, not everyone has access to a vo-tech school that teaches Medical Transcription. Second, I would put my skills up against any new grad from any school at this time, and I graduated from an online school. Everyone takes away just what they put in to any educational experience. To make a blanket statement about ALL grads from ALL online schools shows poor judgement and great immaturity. Not every new grad from these schools is a lay person. I have been a nurse for 14 years and, before that, I was a data transcriber for the government. I have won awards for my speed and accuracy and I have given the very meds, performed many of the procedures and used this terminology for 14 years. I found mistakes in my own textbooks on terminology! To dismiss all new grads from online schools is a mistake and you never know when you have passed up a golden opportunity. Sorry you have missed out on my expertise and great work ethics!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

mardiboo in Biloxi, Mississippi

72 months ago

Heather, Ohio in Clyde, Ohio said: I am a medical assistant and therefore i am skilled in medical transciption, i acutally went to an Adult Career Center and worked in the class room, is my knowledge enough to impress an employer looking for a medical transcriptionist? Or are they looking for someone who just focused on being a MT?

I have found that most places want you to have experience, at least one year. However, you might find a small practice that will hire you. Perhaps even a individual who does transcription for several doctors and needs some help with her work load.

I, also, am a CMA and was trained as MT. I loveeeeee this work and now do it from home

Jeff in Littleton, Colorado

71 months ago

I am looking into starting a MT course online through either M-Tec or Career Step. What I would like to know is if anyone has finished their training at the above schools, how is/was the job placement afterwards? If it's going to be very difficult to get a MT job, then I might reconsider and take a different course. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jeff

FarAwayDeb in Rochester, New York

71 months ago

Jeff in Littleton, Colorado said: I am looking into starting a MT course online through either M-Tec or Career Step.

M-TEC is definitely the better choice. Andrews is also excellent.

I am a CS graduate, and if I had it to do over, I'd choose Andrews School or M-TEC.

Almost all of the books you receive from CS are written by the lady who started the school. The other 2 schools use real reference books that contain a LOT more. That's one reason the other 2 cost more. I have since purchased on my own some of the books that are used by Andrews School and M-TEC, and the difference is unbelievable. I have learned so much more from these books, I wish I had gone to the school that used them!

Also, the other 2 schools have real instructors who go over your work and point out errors, and help you along. At CS, your work is "automatically compared" against the same report done at some unknown time and place by some unknown MT, who may or may not have done it correctly. All you get is a comparison between the two, it only shows the differences, like holding two pieces of paper up to the light to see if everything matches. Whenever there are differences, it's up to YOU to figure out which one is correct. The only time a real person actually looks over your work is when you take your final exam (which over 50% of students fail the first time they take it, and that statement comes directly from CS itself, not from me).

Yes, I did get a work-at-home job after graduating from CS. But I feel my first year of work was a lot harder, I spent a lot more time looking things up, there were a lot of things I would have learned at Andrews or M-TEC that I didn't learn at CS.

I am not the only one who feels this way, I have many online friends who agree. Visit www.mtchat.com and look around. While there are a few diehards that insist CS is "just as good" - you get what you pay for.

Deb

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Terrie in Grand Junction, Colorado

70 months ago

Nancy in Cincinnati, Ohio said: I almost always ask the candidate if they have graduated from a vo-tech program. The online courses do not prepare you enough for the work and thereby are a waste of your money. If you show the ambition to go to a vo-tech to learn, you are more apt to be prepared for all aspects of the job. I will not hire someone who has done an online class for six-seven weeks. They do not have the skills necessary to be sucessful.

That's my opinion.

Just so you know, I am currently attending school online for medical transcription. It is a two yrs college. I am taking the book work online, and when I am at my last two semesters, I will doing an extern ship. So to say that on line school is a wast of time. I believe you wrong. My sister works already and went to the same school I am attending.

Nancy in Newport News, Virginia

69 months ago

Jo in NJ in Toms River, New Jersey said: What is better - go learn online or through your local 2 year college? What is the preference for an employer? Thank you

Online learning can be just as effective as sitting in a classroom. Discipline and motivation are two very important factors in being successful. Online schools offer dictation practice. I can't wait to graduate and work at home. I love the comprehensive program my school offers and the caring support of the faculty.

Nancy
MT Student
www.mtacc.net
www.myspace.com/stlerz

69 months ago

Nancy in Newport News, Virginia said: Online learning can be just as effective as sitting in a classroom. Discipline and motivation are two very important factors in being successful. Online schools offer dictation practice. I can't wait to graduate and work at home. I love the comprehensive program my school offers and the caring support of the faculty.

Nancy
MT Student
www.mtacc.net
www.myspace.com/stlerz

Pam in Joliet in Chicago, Illinois

69 months ago

I have over 23 years of hospital experience, with at least 10 years of medical transcription in Outpatient Substance Abuse Program, Diagnositc Summaries, Social Histories, Discharge Summaries, also 8 1/2 years in legal transcription. Any one out there hiring without a degree or certificate?
Please let me know - Thanks.

hoffmantranscription4@comcast.net in New Bedford, Massachusetts

69 months ago

We are looking for experienced transcriptionists preferably with Oncology experience, but will consider all experienced. You would need a C-phone or DVI phone, Windows XP, Word 2000 or 2002 and unlimited long distance. If you are interested and meet this criteria, please send your resume to hoffmantranscription4@comcast.net. Thank you.

68 months ago

mardiboo in Biloxi, Mississippi said: I have found that most places want you to have experience, at least one year. However, you might find a small practice that will hire you. Perhaps even a individual who does transcription for several doctors and needs some help with her work load.

I, also, am a CMA and was trained as MT. I loveeeeee this work and now do it from home

Hi!
I am a CNA and a CMA and I am currently enrolled in an online program for Medical Transcription. The program is very comprehensive and the staff are very supportive. I believe that the program itself is the determing factor in placement. Online or in a classroom is satisfactory and keep in mind the length of the program and the content itself. I am looking forward to graduation and working at home!
Nancy
MT Student
www.mtacc.net
www.myspacepage.com/stlerz

CD in Colorado Springs, Colorado

68 months ago

I am enrolled in M-TEC and they find jobs for 99% of their students. The ones they do not find jobs for, or the ones who do not succeed. Highly recomended. And online is just as effective as on the job training. It's not like we are studying to become doctors. The only difference is we are studying at home in our time and not in a school monday through friday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joan in Santa Barbara, California

68 months ago

I work at Med Workshops so I am biased, but...

The Medical Transcription School with the higest rate of job placement for grads is Med Workshops. This is because they personally place all of their graduates themselves.

They are a Medical Transcription Staffing/Placement School. Quite different from the average retail oriented school. You have to be sure you really want to work becuase we place all graduates in a work at home job.

www.medworkshops.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Hi!
I checked out the website and it was very interesing, however the price is out of my range. I am on disability, so I have to be selective as far as price goes. The school I am enrolled in is meeting all my needs and when I graduate, they do offer placement and I have two years of experience!
Take care,
Nancy

Ellen in Cape Girardeau, Missouri

67 months ago

Can anyone copare the books and training from Med Works to Andrews and M-Tech? I really want the best training that I can get.
I live out in the middle of no where and have no option except to work at home. I have a three year old and as crazy as it sounds there isn't any day care available at all.

bizzydaze

60 months ago

I am a recent Premier graduate (that's the preferred course for employers)from Mtec, and I would have to say that I have been very impressed with the instructors, text books, software, and the overall thoroughness from my individual instructor. There are MANY dictations to do to complete during this course, lots of reference books to do your research, and the instructors let you know where your strong points and not so strong points are. It is not a quick school to get through, took me 2 years to do it. I did not pass at the top of my class but have a GPA of 95%. Many of the employers that work with Mtec require you complete the Premier course and pass with a GPA of 93 or higher. There are a few that require 98% or better too. So, from a Mtec graduate point of view... I like this school.

I am now in the process of choosing who I want to apply to. So I will check in later on and let you guys know how the job hunting has gone with a diploma from Mtec. K?

Take care,
Bizzydaze

Janet in Cincinnati

60 months ago

I am a graduate from The Andrews School and was just hired for a part-time position. I can't say enough about The Andrews School. The course provides great reference books, and you receive plenty of practice from the SUM Program tapes that are used. You also receive plenty of feedback from the instructors. If you need to work from home, I would stick with either The Andrews School or
M-TEC. Another good thing about these two schools is that you have to take a test to even get accepted into the program. Some schools will take your money whether or not you have what it takes to be a transcriptionist. Best of luck in whatever you choose!

Terry in Spokane, Washington

60 months ago

I help run a Medical Transcription School in WA and deal with the local State officials. Just a note on testing:

A school would be on a very slippery slope if they test students prior to enrollment in the manner you indicate. There are all types of discrimination laws involved that a school can't break- justifiably so. The laws are sometimes vague. Schools must use caution and err on the side of admittance. The benefit of the doubt goes to the student.

From my stand point, it seems you are suggesting that the school can pre-determine "what it takes" prior to a student trying to pass the training course. Whew!!! I don't think any school would want that kind of legal liability. A law suit would be horrible. However, I do see what you are getting at and agree. It's far safer and probably fairer to have a generous refund policy.

We also test, but it is only to see where the student should start, not if they can attend. If they wish to enroll we must take them unless they have language issues or haven't graduated from High School.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Terry in Spokane, Washington

60 months ago

Ellen in Cape Girardeau, Missouri said: Can anyone copare the books and training from Med Works to Andrews and M-Tech? I really want the best training that I can get.
I live out in the middle of no where and have no option except to work at home. I have a three year old and as crazy as it sounds there isn't any day care available at all.

I work for Med Workshops and we use the books suggested by HPI and the SUM Program. We have been using them since 1996. Most community colleges use them too. We don't use tapes.

Everyone needs a great set of hardcover books to begin with in order to establish a good reference library.

We also have instructors for all students and a Mentored Internship included. If you graduate, we guarantee job placement with one of our Medical Transcription Company partners. Our placement rate is 100% since 1996.

Not everyone graduates. Our course is rigorous. Lots of testing. We have a generous refund policy for students who don't have an aptitude for this field.

Good luck,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

StephanieH in Oxford, Michigan

51 months ago

I have been thinking about this career for a while now. I have given it a lot of thought and have decided on MTEC. I was wondering about grants...........Does MTEC allow you to use grants to attend there?

jaime in Phillipsburg, Missouri

50 months ago

I recently started a course from Penn Foster - anything out there about their program?

TJ in New York, New York

50 months ago

From what their graduates say, you will have a problem finding an entry-level job.

These days there are only 3 schools whose graduates are successful in finding jobs:

MTEC and Andrews are tied for 1 and 2. They both have good programs, active placement departments, and employers trust their recommendations. If you graduate from one of them with good grades, you will be able to secure an entry-level job.

The (distant) 3rd is Career Step. From what I know, it has less student assistance than MTEC and Andrews, but nonetheless it does have a lot of graduates who have secured entry-level jobs.

jaime in Jefferson City, Missouri

50 months ago

Andrews?? is that under Andrewsschool.com or is it Andrews University?

TJ in New York, New York

50 months ago

Andrewsschool.com

TJ in New York, New York

50 months ago

Here is the website for the other top school when it comes to getting a job after graduation without work experience:

www.mtecinc.com/

jaime in Jefferson City, Missouri

50 months ago

TJ in New York, New York said: Here is the website for the other top school when it comes to getting a job after graduation without work experience:

www.mtecinc.com/

do they accept fafsa?

50 months ago

No, Mtec does NOT accept Fafsa......Thats why I am not going through them, I am going to go through Exact-med. They seem real good.

TJ in New York, New York

50 months ago

You don't need to fill out the FAFSA form. If you want a federal student loan for MTEC, you can get a Sallie Mae loan and do so from MTEC's website.

If you want a grant or free money, then no, you will have to pay for MTEC somehow. However, keep in mind that in the case of MT schools there are only a few that will actually help you get a job once you graduate. Even if the school is free due to a federal grant, what good is all your hard work, if nobody will hire you because you have no experience? (That is a common problems for new American MTs.)

As for "Exact-Med," I would say to that poster, be sure and ask them to give you the statistics on their PLACEMENT ASSISTANCE for graduates. If they have no placement assistance available, cannot give you any examples of people who got jobs right after graduating from their program, etc., I would say forget them. Seriously.

50 months ago

Exact-med....."To date we have had successful placement of those reaching 98% accuracy". I have already done my research and have talked to people. But thank you for the advice.

TJ in New York, New York

50 months ago

I have never heard of Exact-Med; they must be new. I just like to advise people that if they are going to school to get a JOB the school needs to have placement opportunities. There are just too many people writing on message boards AFTER they graduate from an MT training program sorry they went because they cannot get a job! If you are going to get a grant for this schooling to go for FREE I would say go for it with this school, as they do seem to offer placement assistance and also had a list of recent graduates who obtained jobs. If you will have to take out a Sallie Mae loan, I would still strongly recommend using MTEC for the best placement opportunities as they have been established for several years. If you will pay cash or make payments, I would still recommend MTEC or Andrews as the first choices. Good luck in whatever you do!

Jaime W in Scottsbluff, Nebraska

50 months ago

Is medworkshops approved through AHDI? everything I have heard so far says you need to go to a school that is approved by them

Jaime W in Scottsbluff, Nebraska

50 months ago

StephanieH in Oxford, Michigan said: Exact-med....."To date we have had successful placement of those reaching 98% accuracy". I have already done my research and have talked to people. But thank you for the advice.

I have not been able to find that they take fafsa am i missing it or did you use another option of payment?

TJ in New York, New York

50 months ago

Internships will not guranatee you a job. There are still plenty of people who have taken MT courses that included an internship (usually at "live" school, not online) that still cannot get an entry-level job. A school with direct PLACEMENT ASSISTANCE for succesful graduates is the key. Schools that claim to help you with career services focused on YOU doing your OWN job search such as resume prep, interview prep, resume submission, job searches, cover letter design, etc., do not have MTSOs that are willing to hire their graduates.

TJ in New York, New York

50 months ago

Approval by AHDI: AHDI approves schools that have the correct curriculum that AHDI recommends for the training of MTs. However, there are many schools on that list that offer the correct curriculum, yet their students still cannot find any employer willing to hire them straight out of school.

stephanieH in Oxford, Michigan

50 months ago

Jaime W in Scottsbluff, Nebraska said: I have not been able to find that they take fafsa am i missing it or did you use another option of payment?

Yes they offer it. They start using it April 1st. You can fill out the Fafsa now and put down their school...Which branches off UTTC Tech. It takes a while for your Fafsa to process so it is good to do it ASAP. And then April 1st they will accept it or whatever and then I will start April 15th. If you talk to someone they will tell you that they are starting fafsa on April 1st. I am one who can't afford 400 dollars a month or even 100. So I needed to do this option. And I am confident about the school.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.