Medical Transcription jobs after graduating.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

langel65 in Saint Cloud, Florida

68 months ago

Hi, I recently graduated and received my certification for Medical Terminology and Medical Transcritpion. I have been looking for a job since January and is now February and I have not found anything. I am getting discouraged and disillusioned. It seems everyone is asking for 2 to 5 years experience. I have so much passion for this field I would hate to give up. I did join my local AHDI and still haven't had luck. I have sent so many resumes that I am loosing track off them. Does anyone have any suggestions that can help me out? I would really appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Carla in Madison, Wisconsin

67 months ago

I have the same problem as you do. I can not even find a job in any field that is flexible with my school schedule. I am hoping I can find a job in transcription before I graduate. I have not had any luck so far. I have talked to other graduates of the program I am in. These people took the RMT exam, and they still can not find a job. I might just go into the coding program if I can not find a job in transcription before I graduate in May.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

langel65

67 months ago

Hi, Carla I'm sorry that your going through this and believe me this sad for us that really want to work in this field. I knew it was going to be hard but I was optimistic. I wish all the best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Taylor Springs, Illinois

67 months ago

You may have already done this but it really does help to post your information on the internet. It worked for me. I just graduated in December with a degree in medical transcription and a month later I received an email from someone from the American Urology Association asking me to do some work for him. It was extensive work and gave me some experience. So, do not give up because I was getting frustrated too. I posted my academic and work information on a variety of websites and that is how he found me. I was beginning to think I would never find work via the internet but I was wrong! Get your information out there and good luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

langel65

67 months ago

Thanks for your comment. I have been filling my information on the internet. It could a matter of time. I do appreciate your positive feedback.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brittany in Omaha, Nebraska

67 months ago

I am getting extremely frustrated with the fact that I have the heart and the dedication to continue on in the field of medical transcription but don't have the experience required to do so! I graduated with a 3.75 G.P.A. and have been looking for work for quite a while. I don't know if there is something that I am not doing correctly when applying for positions. I am even applying for positions that say that they want 2-5 years of experience.

I have previous general dictation and transcription experience but even this is not enough to interest potential employers.

I really would hate to give up on trying to get a position in this field because it really interests me. However, if I do not get a position soon, I'll have to do something else.

Any comments or ideas would be helpful right now to a frustrated graduate!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Linda Landman in Richmond, Texas

67 months ago

Michelle in Taylor Springs, Illinois said: You may have already done this but it really does help to post your information on the internet. It worked for me. I just graduated in December with a degree in medical transcription and a month later I received an email from someone from the American Urology Association asking me to do some work for him. It was extensive work and gave me some experience. So, do not give up because I was getting frustrated too. I posted my academic and work information on a variety of websites and that is how he found me. I was beginning to think I would never find work via the internet but I was wrong! Get your information out there and good luck!!

which websites?

Michelle in Taylor Springs, Illinois

67 months ago

I am sorry but I cannot even tell you exactly which websites. At the time, I was searching all over the internet and filling out information all over the place. I do think I posted my information on MTjobs.com but like I said, I am not sure where else.

langel65

67 months ago

Hi, Michelle from Taylor Illinois thanks for your information and encouragement. I needed to hear something positive.

Sara Haley in Omaha, Nebraska

66 months ago

If you're looking for a job, a good resource is the Ultimate Transcription Jobs eBook. The link to buy it is store.payloadz.com/go?id=245386 <--it's a great resource for those looking for jobs, has over 450 legit transcription jobs--great eBook!

MariaMartinez1 in Oakland, California

66 months ago

Have you tried to look for any medical transcription company in online? I've found several online company and they are looking to hire someone. Good luck!

DanaJacksonMT21_09 in Jackson, Michigan

63 months ago

I also have just recently Graduated an have not found anything.

bizzydaze in Bend, Oregon in Portland, Oregon

63 months ago

I would like to add something to this forum. There is another forum page on Indeed that has become quite heated within the past few weeks. It is titled Finding Entry Level Medical Transcription Jobs. It is located here>>> www.indeed.com/forum/job/medical-transcriptionist/Finding-Entry-Level-Medical-Transcription-Jobs/t26511/c790385#c790385.
I think it is important that future MT students and new graduates read it.

I too am a recent graduate that is having a great deal of problems finding a work-at-home transcription job. I, along with a great number of MT graduates are having the same problem with landing an entry level position. Most of us have given up on trying to find work to do at home. The jobs just aren't there. Also finding a position within the local community is the same. If you read this thread, you will see 39 pages full of disgruntled graduates. You will also see "ads" for schools. One in particular that is a regular is Lorraine McGuire from Inscribe who continues to back peddle on what she is offering. It is only a way to get students to sign up, not offer work. She is very misleading.

I feel that is very important for those of us who have come up against these constant road blocks to voice our experiences. These schools advertise that they have 98% to 100% placement. THIS IS WRONG!!!!!!!!! The massive "demand" for quality MT graduates are not available as these schools state. The media also states that there is a high demand. Not so. Be very careful about your choice to enroll in an MT school. Do your homework before forking out thousands of dollars to them.

I, for one, feel that the MT profession is a very important and exciting field to get into. BUT the demand for entry level is very slim. Please be careful about your decision to do this.

langel65

63 months ago

All this is so sad. I really wanted to work as an MT. And now after
6 months of graduating I can't find a job. I am trying to get my foot in as a receptionist in the healthcare field. I wish someone would have been honest with all of us. At least the schools should have had job placements for us, since they new the truth. I wish luck for all my collegues out there struggling for a job.

kathy in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

28 months ago

For any MT grad who is having trouble finding a work-at-home job: I started out by applying as a secretary (in the temporary department) of a local hospital. I worked there for almost 2 years, but I was able to apply for other jobs immediately. As soon as a job in the MT Department was available, I immediately applied and was hired. I now work at home doing medical transcription for that hospital (conglomerate). It's easier if you get your foot in the door at a hospital (especially if you have a big hospital conglomerate near you, like I do), and then apply from within to the MT Departments.

Kristin in Killeen, Texas

28 months ago

Just because job postings say 2-5 years, doesn't necessarily mean you won't be consider. There are companies out there that will test new graduates to see if you have what it takes to work for their company. You can also send letters/e-mails to the human resource departments of companies and inform them that you are a graduate of an AHDI-approved program and that you wish to test for entry level placement. Some will give you the test, while others follow the strict 2-5 experience requirement.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.