Medical Transcription part time home based

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 57)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Monica in Marietta, Georgia

73 months ago

I was really glad to read your post regarding your new employment. I have been in the healthcare field for over 9 years doind medical billing and coding, but I wanted a career change and thought about medical transcription since it is fairly related to my experience. However I find most places will not hire you without a minimum of 2 years. Could you please tell me the name of your company I would like to apply with them since they do hire without previous med trans experience. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole Stoner

72 months ago

I have almost completed the first module of the SUM program at Bryan LGH in Lincoln, NE (started in Sept 07). I will then be eligible for a entry level position. I have already applied to a couple of jobs, but was turned down due to lack of experience. My question is, how do I get the experience if I can't find a job.

Right now all I am looking for is a part-time position to make some extra income. After I gain the experience that I need, then I hope to find a career working full-time from home.

Could anyone help me out on this?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

"T.J." Batchelor in Columbia, Mississippi

72 months ago

I am seventy years old and find getting a job very difficult. I am responsible. I am a retired RN and know the vocabulatory. I have been in clerical roughly 20 years. I know how to type. I have taught continuing education classes in typing, shorthand, office machines and filing. I have worked as a bookkeeper at a bank and as a receptionist at a clinic. I worked for an insurance company about 16 years. I was the superintendent's secretary. I would like to audit records or do medical transcription. I can supervise. I was supervisor on three jobs. I worked in the school system after Katrina under a special grant. Thank you for any help you can give. I love to work. I would like to work in my home at least part time. I live on an extremely fixed income. I would like to work in Stone County or near that area. I am a Christian and I am honest and I have good morals. I am willing to learn a new trade. I would highly consider working in a Christian school in the office and/or assisting teachers. Thanks so very much. I would feel very privileged to be offered a job. Thank you so much. May God meet YOUR need.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Julia Scott in North Carolina

72 months ago

I have been reading these posts this morning as I am interesting in working from home as an MT. I have 18 years of MT experience, almost all obtained in multi-specialty clinics and private physicians' offices. I have 7 months of experience working in a hospital setting and would have continued there (as they said they were very happy with my performance), but it was only while they were backlogged and I helped to catch them up. I currently work doing medical billing but really miss being at home (worked there for the last 2 years of my transcription employment). My husband and I are just afraid....right now I bring home a good paycheck every other week. It seems scary just turning in my notice and hoping I'm able to make enough to cover our expenses. I've tested with several places but was only offered 8-9 cents a line. Is that average? At the hospital I was making 12 cents a line. Please help! Any advice or info would be most helpful. Did anyone else out there begin working at home from a regular job with any anxiety?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Goeden in Underwood, Minnesota

62 months ago

I am looking for entry level work with a completion certificate in Medical Transcription, Coding, and billing Please help. I know I have no in house experience but, I am a hard worker. I do have 1 yr of Admitting and Discharge exp in Acute Hospital setting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

semeka in Laurel, Mississippi

57 months ago

mardiboo in Biloxi, Mississippi said: my post under Finding Entry Level Medical Transcription Jobs:
Hey, is everyone that is looking for a job as a MT looking on mtjobs.com? I sent resumes for the jobs that interested me and got one. I am stillllll getting emails with job offers. So I would suggest if you don't have a job yet, go through that site and respond to ALL the posts with your testing (if required) and your resume, no matter the requirements. I don't mean, of course, if it is just a radiology job and you don't know anything about radiology for you to apply for that one. I have been a transcriptionist for 18 years and this is the best job, by FAR, that I have been able to find. I even had my own transcription business, but did not make as much money as I needed to keep doing that. I have also worked for another online transcription business, but nothing has been as good as this company. They supply the computer (I already have one, but they do that anyway), medical reference software, expander program, their own training and great bennies. They also DO hire new transcriptionists. You just need to pass their little tests. One is terminology, 3-5 are actual transcription. One thing I noticed where some screw up is this; the instructions say "place 3 underscores for each blank." Then the person taking the test types this for a blank; _____ _____ ______. That is incorrect and will count as THREE blanks. This is 3 underscores; ___ In other words, for a blank tap your underscore key THREE TIMES. So that leaves a small blank. The other thing is DO NOT GUESS what is being dictated. That is automatic "toss that test". They expect blanks on doctors names, some medications and garbled dictation. If you think you know what is being dictated but are not sure, type it and put ONE question mark on either side of the word or words. In my training class 65% were new grads with no experience. But most of you have some computer experience and previous jobs. Put that

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ProMT in Missoula, Montana

57 months ago

MTjobs and other job search boards have the same old lousy companies advertising the same old underpaying jobs all the time. I still have companies bugging me three years later after telling HR people I would never work there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tatt2mommie in Tallahassee, Florida

57 months ago

I have 5 years experience in the medical field and 2 years of transcription but not medical. I am currently enrolled in a tMedical transcription program. I work all the time and Im tired of working 3 jobs to support myself and my son. I want to work from home during the day while my son is at school, Instead of 7 days a week with a Chaos schedule. Is medical transcription a good choice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

JeanAnn in Milford, Indiana

56 months ago

semeka in Laurel, Mississippi said:

Please tell me where you have applied. I'm new with over 250 hours of actual medical transcription experience. I desperately wasnt to work, but most companies want to or more years experience. aljean@bnin.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CathyC in High Point, North Carolina

56 months ago

tatt2mommie in Tallahassee, Florida said: I have 5 years experience in the medical field and 2 years of transcription but not medical. I am currently enrolled in a tMedical transcription program. I work all the time and Im tired of working 3 jobs to support myself and my son. I want to work from home during the day while my son is at school, Instead of 7 days a week with a Chaos schedule. Is medical transcription a good choice?

Be prepared to work longer hours than just when your son is in school for a full time position. Also, most companies require you to work at least one day out of the weekend particularly when you are just starting with a company. It is very rare to find a position that is Monday through Friday and even harder to work just while he is away at school. The benefits of working from home include taking the time off to take your son to school and pick him up if needed. Also, consider working earlier in the morning while he is still sleeping or getting ready for school and/or later in the evening to work around school activities. Most companies work with you to allow this flexability to maintain top notch employees providing excellent care for the patients.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

sparkle58 in Phoenix, Arizona

51 months ago

tatt2mommie in Tallahassee, Florida said: I have 5 years experience in the medical field and 2 years of transcription but not medical. I am currently enrolled in a tMedical transcription program. I work all the time and Im tired of working 3 jobs to support myself and my son. I want to work from home during the day while my son is at school, Instead of 7 days a week with a Chaos schedule. Is medical transcription a good choice?

Yes, it is a good choice, providing you are strong in your language skills, (spelling, grammar, sentence structure). Go for it.

lhcollins in Ocean Springs, Mississippi

50 months ago

Is the company you working for hiring? I graduated in April, but have not had much luck. I am currently working at home for a company typing dissertations, focus groups and interviews for students.

LaQuita

laj803 in Irmo, South Carolina

39 months ago

Has anyone heard of or taken the "SUM Program"? It is a self-directed medical transcripton training program used by several highly rated schools.

If anyone has completed this study program, please let me know your thoughts on it. Thanks

Megan in Montgomery, Texas

39 months ago

laj803 in Irmo, South Carolina said: Has anyone heard of or taken the "SUM Program"? It is a self-directed medical transcripton training program used by several highly rated schools.

If anyone has completed this study program, please let me know your thoughts on it. Thanks

I used the SUM program when taking my courses at Southwest Tech, which I just finished this month. I thought the program was very helpful/useful. There are good tools on it, and there are a lot of practice dictations on there.

joesharl in Lafayette, Louisiana

39 months ago

I have recieved an e-mail from mtjob.com. They want me to join there company. I had to fill out an application and do 8 small dictation tests. I am having trouble understanding the dictation. It has been about three and I am not through. So, I was wondering should I send it in like this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LaQuita

39 months ago

I'd do as much as I can notating the areas that are unable to be transcribed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

gardenergirl1950 in Augusta, Kansas

39 months ago

I wouldn't send it in until it is very, very good. I would go to a nearby hospital where they do medical transcribing, and ask for help from the head of the department. Or I would go to a Community College where they teach medical transcription, and ask for help from a professor. Or, the 3rd thing you could do is find a neighbor that is a medical transcriptionist and ask her to help you.
I am a medical transcriptionist, and never was able to find a job, so I am a pharmacy clerk instead, but take my word for it, they will judge you and critique you very carefully.
Wishing and praying for you that you'll get a fine job!

39 months ago

Could you please be of assistance? I am a certified medical transcriptionist, and need a job, because they always want 2 years of experience and how am I supposed to get that? I study my medical transcription book most every day, and keep abreast with medicine because I am a pharmacy clerk. I graduated with honors, am a 75 WPM keyboarder and an avid speller. Any encouragers or answers out there? Verna M. Unruh, unruhdl@yahoo.com

LaQuita in Jackson, Mississippi

39 months ago

Verna,

I am in the same boat as you. I really look forward to this feedback. I, too, don't understand how we are expected to get our foot in the door with most everyone wanting 2-3 years of experience.

LaQuita

39 months ago

Hi, Mardiboo,

I, too, am from Biloxi, MS. This is so interesting!!!! I have applied to mtjobs, but it has been some months now since I last applied. I will have to try again. I kind of got worn out on the tests, because I was so determined at the time. Now, i'd like to begin my pursuit again as I am venturing into court reporting. One thing I was doing that you mentioned I should not is not applying to every job that interested me. I let the necessary experience stop me. Now I know.

Thanks

Paola in Canton, Georgia

36 months ago

Hi, I new to this forum and thrilled I found it. I am currently taking courses on MT..but for some reason, I am thinking Med. Billing and Coding. I don't see much demand for MT's..i am incorrect? Also for those of you who are more seasoned and have done this before, or are currently doing this....what other jobs are open to iondividuals who have MT degree's? Thanks for any input!

At Home in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

36 months ago

I am thinking about travelling with my husband for his job. I was thinking about MT as a profession I could use from town to town. I am needing input/information as to:
1. Where should I get my training (online or an actual school-based program)
2. Income - about what does this profession pay
3. Is it truly work from home where my time is scheduled by me.

Any input would be tremendously helpful.
Thanks.

jpetersen in Wood Dale, Illinois

36 months ago

I graduated from a pretty decent school for medical transcription, I have yet to find a job. Some of the dictation tests they give you are bull! I know people in the medical field and they tell me most doctors do not speak that bad, so I dont understand why they make you go through their tests like that.They need to update their tests that are more in the " reality world" I would check ahdionline.org for a list of recommended schools for medical transcription. Also join their group, they give you alot of helpful ideas. I have not given up on finding a job. I am in the process of finding companies that will give me an internship first. That seems to be the route to go. If anyone has any other suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. ( jpetersenMT@yahoo.com) please send an email as I dont always get on these forums.

jpetersen@yahoo.com in Wood Dale, Illinois

36 months ago

I recently graduated for medical transcription. I have applied at numerous companies that make you take dictation tests. Some of them are very hard to do. They need to update their testing format, as I believe some of it is old. I know quite a few people in the medical field and they told me most doctors do not talk that bad. I am now in the process of getting into an internship, that seems to be the route to go. I have sent out resumes to local doctors and have received nothing back. An organization to get into is ahdionline.org, they have alot of helpful info for newbies. You can also get a mentor,which I am waiting for. If anyone has any helpful suggestions or ideas please let me know

MnD in Sergeant Bluff, Iowa

35 months ago

Nicole Stoner said: I have almost completed the first module of the SUM program at Bryan LGH in Lincoln, NE (started in Sept 07). I will then be eligible for a entry level position. I have already applied to a couple of jobs, but was turned down due to lack of experience. My question is, how do I get the experience if I can't find a job.

Right now all I am looking for is a part-time position to make some extra income. After I gain the experience that I need, then I hope to find a career working full-time from home.

Could anyone help me out on this?

Thanks

Nicole....if you have completed the course email me. I hire new graduates and have successfully for the last 2 years :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

I am looking for a medical transcription job out of my own home. Please help me find a good job. Thanks. Verna M. Unruh

35 months ago

Hi, Nicole:
I graduated in 2009 and have not been able to find transcription work with a company either. I have an Associate's in Medical Transcription and am getting discouraged. If you come across someone hiring those of us with entry-level experience, please let me know. Here is my e-mail address: hudgiestranscription@yahoo.com. E-mail me your e-mail adress, and I'll let you know if I come up with anything as well.

Good luck,
LaQuits

35 months ago

gardenergirl1950 in Augusta, Kansas said: Could you please be of assistance? I am a certified medical transcriptionist, and need a job, because they always want 2 years of experience and how am I supposed to get that? I study my medical transcription book most every day, and keep abreast with medicine because I am a pharmacy clerk. I graduated with honors, am a 75 WPM keyboarder and an avid speller. Any encouragers or answers out there? Verna M. Unruh, unruhdl@yahoo.com

Hi, Verna:

Did you have any luck finding an MT job?

35 months ago

No, I haven't. However, I'm not unemployed. I am a pharmacy clerk, but it is not a very satisfying job, for the amount of terminology that I know.

Shini Felix in Tulsa

35 months ago

Hi,

For more about medical transcription services visit: www.medicaltranscriptionservicecompany.com

35 months ago

MnD in Sergeant Bluff, Iowa said: Nicole....if you have completed the course email me. I hire new graduates and have successfully for the last 2 years :)

Hello:
If you are hiring now, I'd like to apply. Can you e-mail me a link or e-mail addressn, please.

Thank you

35 months ago

hudgiestranscription@yahoo.com

LaQuita in Jackson, Mississippi said: Hello:
If you are hiring now, I'd like to apply. Can you e-mail me a link or e-mail addressn, please.

Thank you

mbohar in Saint Paul, Minnesota

34 months ago

I am a medical transcriptionist that has 7 years experience in general medical transcription who worked in a small pediatric clinic. Nothing too extravagant as far as kinds of dictations. Mostly Physicals and ADHD checks. Looking for work wherever I can get it as freelance home transcriptionist. Suggestions on where I can apply for work online or where I can advertise are wanted.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Diedre in Warrenton, Virginia

28 months ago

MnD in Sergeant Bluff, Iowa said: Nicole....if you have completed the course email me. I hire new graduates and have successfully for the last 2 years :)

Hi, I am in the same boat as well. I graduated in December 2011 and have had no luck in finding employment. All companies want 2+ years of experience OR 98% accuracy on their tests. Is there anyone that does hire new graduates with some sort of mentor program so that you can get your foot in the door???

MnD S

28 months ago

Diedre email me regarding your post....4theluvoffeet@gmail.com

Happy Easter :)

Soon to be graduate in Chicago, Illinois

28 months ago

Hello-
I will be finishing my training in medical transcription shortly and was wondering some things. I know a woman who does transcription and because of new government mandates, she will be unemployed in June and I am wondering if there will be any jobs available when I finish, or should I go into something else. I would really prefer to work for home. Also, when I am done, where do I look for work? I am only looking for a part-time thing for a while, until I really get me feet wet. Thank you for any assistance.

LaQuita

28 months ago

Hi soon to be graduate. To be honest, I graduated Summa Cum Laude in 2010 and have been unsuccessful in finding a job at home or in an office. Everywhere I have applied wants me to have 2-3 years of experience, which I don't have due to no one being willing to give me a chance. I also ran into another road block the other day which put a damper on things. I finally found someone who hires recent grads, but he/she requires the worker to have a desktop which I no longer have, only a laptop.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Toni Haddox

28 months ago

Can you share who is hiring new grads? Thank you!

Glenn in Ellicott City, Maryland

28 months ago

LaQuita said: Hi soon to be graduate. To be honest, I graduated Summa Cum Laude in 2010 and have been unsuccessful in finding a job at home or in an office. Everywhere I have applied wants me to have 2-3 years of experience, which I don't have due to no one being willing to give me a chance. I also ran into another road block the other day which put a damper on things. I finally found someone who hires recent grads, but he/she requires the worker to have a desktop which I no longer have, only a laptop.

How are they going to know you have a laptop? Are they going to come to your house to inspect your computer?

I use laptops exclusively for transcription and have never had a problem. A laptop functions in exactly the same way as a desktop.

LaQuita

28 months ago

Toni,
The e-mail is 4theluvoffeet@gmail.com.

Glenn,
I have no idea. I usually transcribe on my laptop, too. They said they are not compliant using laptops. I agree with you. Laptops work the same as desktops. I was being honest, but maybe I should have lied just to get the job. They definitely would not have come to my house. They aren't a local company. I am just ready for some steady workin this field.

LaQuita

28 months ago

Hi, MnD S:

Are you still hiring graduates?

DestinyThomas in Mableton, Georgia

28 months ago

I am very interested in working for your company. I am currently acheiving my Associates degree in Medical transcription through Kaplan University online, and I will be graduating in 3 weeks.I have 3 children and I live in Atlanta GA, so I am trying to find a job I can do from home so I don't have to pay for daycare and so I can stay home with my kids. Please send me more information about how to apply.

Lynne in Boca Raton, Florida

28 months ago

Does anyone know which online schools for medical transcription, coding and billing are the most regarded by prospective employers? Also, what degree and/or certificate is usually preferred? Thanks!

laj803 in Irmo, South Carolina

28 months ago

I heard the Andrews School is pretty good. You actually get assigned a teacher to help you get through the course. They also teach the "sum program" which is a good, thorough approach to learning medical transcription.

Lynne in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

28 months ago

Thank you, I'll look into that one.

RLM in Richland, Mississippi

24 months ago

LaQuita in Jackson, Mississippi said: Hi, Mardiboo,

I, too, am from Biloxi, MS. This is so interesting!!!! I have applied to mtjobs, but it has been some months now since I last applied. I will have to try again. I kind of got worn out on the tests, because I was so determined at the time. Now, i'd like to begin my pursuit again as I am venturing into court reporting. One thing I was doing that you mentioned I should not is not applying to every job that interested me. I let the necessary experience stop me. Now I know.

Thanks

It is really hard to get into a job without experience, but there are a few out there if you really want it. MT is not the field to get into anymore. I have been in it for 25 years and it is going downhill in pay and no work because of all the new EMR (electronic medical records) and the speech recognition software where the doctors dictate and the computers type it. MT is an outgoing profession. I would not waste my time and energy nowadays. If I had it to do all over again, I would do something different. The best way though is to work in an office or hospital to get experience, which is hard now because they are mostly outsourced and a lot of our work is going to India now. So, good luck with your endeavors.

RLM in Richland, Mississippi

24 months ago

Glenn in Ellicott City, Maryland said: How are they going to know you have a laptop? Are they going to come to your house to inspect your computer ?

I use laptops exclusively for transcription and have never had a problem. A laptop functions in exactly the same way as a desktop.

Usually they get directly onto your computer to load their software through a website so they would be able to see what type of computer you have if this is the way they load their software.

Glenn in Ellicott City, Maryland

24 months ago

RLM in Richland, Mississippi said: Usually they get directly onto your computer to load their software through a website so they would be able to see what type of computer you have if this is the way they load their software.

My employer has never complained about the type of computer I have. I have always used laptop computers for transcription. The one I have now is far more powerful than most desktops. There is no reason not to use a laptop if it has the appropriate capacity. An employer who doesn't understand that is likely to be undesirable in other ways as well and not worth anyone's time.

Ashleymt in Palmdale, California

24 months ago

Hello all i am attending college for a career in medical transcription and i have heard so many people say that i have made the worst dision of my life.....im scared....i need an at home job as i cant drive.....i have heard everything from the dictation is difficult to transcribe, to nobody hires grads, to they are outsourcing to india and that speech recognition technology is taking over this career. The only positive thing ive heard is its an st home career (sometimes) and that jobs are expected to grow because of the health care thing obama passed....i dont what to expect im so nervous about this.

Ashleymt in Palmdale, California

24 months ago

anybody have any advice? should i quit now or what? lol

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.