Should I get into MT

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (27)

rubyoro0 in California

75 months ago

I went to school for Business Administration and got my AS Degree.I'm having trouble with one of the managers at my work.

I now make $31,200.00 annually. I have been working at my present job for 9 years.I have no medical background, but I possess some of the traits they have said in some other threads:

-Good Spelling
-Double-checking my work (I highly emphasize that with my current assistants)

I have a son and plan to have more children. I struggle with taking my children to babysitters' after my son broke his leg at on of the babysitters-that among other things. Also, I have a hard time with someone else raising my kids.

Anyway,........

I had read somewhere online about MT being a profession where I can work from home. Can we really work from home and take care of children at the same time? I was reading that we have to do a lot of lines in order to get paid good money.

I'm from California.I also read in mtjobs.com that some don't use California MT's -I don't know why that is. What do you think about online courses? How much schooling do I need? How is the pay and is there any benefits?

Can I work at my own pace or do I have to report or submit job projects at a particular time? I was also hoping it could be flexible with time. For example I would like to take 1-week vacations here and there on a short notice since sometimes-good deals come up like that. May I work extra to make up for some of that time? That's what I mean by
"flexible time"

From your experience- should I jump into this? Or should I just stay with my M-F 8-5 job with 2 weeks vacation once a year with no holidays and no sick days? Should I just forget about all this career change?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Ruby

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

rubyoro0 in California

75 months ago

Or should I get into Transcription Editing instead?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rubyoro0 in California

75 months ago

How many 65 character lines per hour should I be doing at the beginning (entry level)? How many intermediate experience and how many for the experts? After how long will I become an expert at this or atleast good at this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

FarAwayDeb in Rochester, New York

75 months ago

You certainly won't make any money trying to work at home WITH children. You would need to work while they are sleeping, or have your husband or someone else care for them while you work. You need to listen carefully and pay close attention to detail while doing MT, you can't do that with children running around demanding your attention.

It takes a good MT education (Andrews School, M-TEC, or Career Step) and a lot of hard work to become a good MT. You make very little money for the first year or so, this is especially true if you are only going to work part time.

You would be responsible for a certain amount of work per day or per week, and I doubt you could find an employer who would just let you take off from work on short notice for a vacation whenever you feel like it. Who is going to do that work while you are gone?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

rubyoro0 in California

75 months ago

Ok. Thanks for your comment. I now see this is not a job for me.

Thanks,
Ruby

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ColleenCollect in Boston, Massachusetts

74 months ago

if u are making 31K in this economy, you better stay where u are. don't waste your money on medical transcription. there are NO jobs to be had. when i lost my job to voice recognition, i was so stressed out, i got shingles. i took on some really low paying jobs online and hardly made enough for gas. they rehired me to do voice recog editing and it was the worst job on the planet. bagging food in a supermarket would have been heaven.

Jae Richardson

73 months ago

By all means forget about medical transcribing...most companies are eliminating the transcriptionist with voice recognition - it can indeed be extremely stressful and is next to impossible to perform with children to tend to....did not work for any of my co-workers and the pay is not great if you are being paid by the lines - have to work extremely hard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Bryan, Texas

61 months ago

I graduated from Career Step 3 months ago and still have not found employment. Anyone suggest any MT companies that I could apply at? It would mean alot to me if someone would just give me a chance.

Thanks,

Michelle

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Chicago, Illinois

60 months ago

rubyoro0 in California said: I went to school for Business Administration and got my AS Degree.I'm having trouble with one of the managers at my work.

I now make $31,200.00 annually. I have been working at my present job for 9 years.I have no medical background, but I possess some of the traits they have said in some other threads:

-Good Spelling
-Double-checking my work (I highly emphasize that with my current assistants)

I have a son and plan to have more children. I struggle with taking my children to babysitters' after my son broke his leg at on of the babysitters-that among other things. Also, I have a hard time with someone else raising my kids.

Anyway,........

I had read somewhere online about MT being a profession where I can work from home. Can we really work from home and take care of children at the same time? I was reading that we have to do a lot of lines in order to get paid good money.

I'm from California.I also read in mtjobs.com that some don't use California MT's -I don't know why that is. What do you think about online courses? How much schooling do I need? How is the pay and is there any benefits?

Can I work at my own pace or do I have to report or submit job projects at a particular time? I was also hoping it could be flexible with time. For example I would like to take 1-week vacations here and there on a short notice since sometimes-good deals come up like that. May I work extra to make up for some of that time? That's what I mean by
"flexible time"

From your experience- should I jump into this? Or should I just stay with my M-F 8-5 job with 2 weeks vacation once a year with no holidays and no sick days? Should I just forget about all this career change?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Ruby

NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT!! I have been in the medical transcription field by a career change for 18 years and have been trying to get out for a long time. I have an associate degree, medical diploma, and

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

lramsey in Dallas, Texas

60 months ago

FarAwayDeb in Rochester, New York said: You certainly won't make any money trying to work at home WITH children. You would need to work while they are sleeping, or have your husband or someone else care for them while you work. You need to listen carefully and pay close attention to detail while doing MT, you can't do that with children running around demanding your attention.

It takes a good MT education (Andrews School, M-TEC, or Career Step) and a lot of hard work to become a good MT. You make very little money for the first year or so, this is especially true if you are only going to work part time.

You would be responsible for a certain amount of work per day or per week, and I doubt you could find an employer who would just let you take off from work on short notice for a vacation whenever you feel like it. Who is going to do that work while you are gone?

I live in Texas and I am also looking into MT. I have a full time job now but my evenings and weekend are free and need the extra income. would like to work part time and then try to build up full time after some experince etc. I do not have any children living in the home all grown.
would you recommed this to someone like myself or totally forget it?
any suggestions of another online work and school that would be fitting in todays market?
thanks for any feedback
Lynn

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Izzy in Charlotte, North Carolina

60 months ago

Don't do it. I have a certificate in medical assisting with an emphasis on transcription. I got straight A's in a brick-and-mortar school. Four years of my life and several thousand dollars later, it got me exactly nowhere!

It's almost impossible to get a job without already having 2 years of experience. Don't ask me how you are supposed to get experience if no one will give you a job to get that experience.

I've been an admin for the past 10 years. Before the recession, I was making $35,000. I've been living on a 40% pay cut for the last 8 months and still may lose my job any day. Two-thirds of my co-workers have been laid off. Feel lucky you still have a job and are making $31,000.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

princeslolypop in asheville, North Carolina

51 months ago

ColleenCollect in Boston, Massachusetts said: if u are making 31K in this economy, you better stay where u are. don't waste your money on medical transcription. there are NO jobs to be had. when i lost my job to voice recognition, i was so stressed out, i got shingles. i took on some really low paying jobs online and hardly made enough for gas. they rehired me to do voice recog editing and it was the worst job on the planet. bagging food in a supermarket would have been heaven.

Uh no, I am a mother that works at a grocery store...It IS hell

Elaine in Trenton, Michigan

49 months ago

Don't do it. I was a nursing student. I found it was not for me at that time. I went into transcription. Back in the day (1990s) you could still find halfway decent paying hourly jobs in MT with benefits. Perfect for a newbie who was not fast enough or knowledgeable enough to production pay. These days you won't find them. Very few and far between. Most hospitals do not have onsite staff any longer. They have outsource. A large chunk outsourced to India. The services and Nationals aren't that great. Yes you can work at home but often teh line rates are low. Whenyou are new you cannot make very much working on production as you are not fast enought. Even a seasoned transcriptionist has it hard these days. Between they outsourcing there is also voice recognition. Yes, they need editors but they pay about 1/2 the line rate for this work. I haven't done it myself but hear it's not all the lucractive. I am transitioning into respiratory therapy. Biding my time for another year. The only people honestly I would recommend transcript to is a some who has a husband's income and really doesn't HAVE to work - just wants to make a little extra cash. I would not recommend the field to anyone seriously trying to support themselves. IT's too unstable. The services run out of work and you are not compensated. Some companies require a gross earning per pay to retain insurance but yet when they run out work they yank your health benefits even though you not making the quota was no fault of your own. It's pretty dicey out there in MT. There are always those big producers who are favored, get the cherry accounts etc but I think they are minority. Most MT are barely scratching out a living these days jumping from company to company from what I can see. Getting out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Meg in Pine Grove, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

I have to agree with Elaine. I have been doing transcription for the past 6 years, both in office and at home. If you want to work at home, you should have another source of income to rely on because you probably won't be making much. It's not bad if you work in an office and get paid hourly and have benefits...but more and more companies are outsourcing their work. I'm trying to find something else to do full time and perhaps just do transcription on the side. It seems like transcriptionists are a dime a dozen and companies are just looking for the cheapest way to get the work done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Elaine in Trenton, Michigan

49 months ago

I am glad I learned transcription. It's a good skill and having the medical terminology knowledge is invaluable if you are pursuing another health career. But the hey-day of transcription is done. I would, like Meg, use it as a side gig for extra money but would not rely on transcription as a sole income these days. You need to do more than transcribe. Possibly if you could transcribe and do billing for instance you might be more marketable. Also transcription was hard to break into even back when I got into it 10 years ago. I heard of my first job from my community college where I obtained my ceritificate. That was simply luck, most newbies have a harder time getting a foot in the door. It's telling that the college has dropped trancription (along with the HIM degree) from their roster. I have looked and looked in my Metro area for in-house positions and there are just not very many. As Meg said if you have an office position transcription is fine- but near impossible to find these days. Most hospitals and medical centers use services. The hospitals may or may not be aware that service then outsources all or part of the work over to India. American transcriptionist working for these services are fighting to scratch out a living because the work can be done cheaper overseas (although not necessarily better quality - but the bottom line in healthcare is often the buck not the quality). If you want to learn the skill as an enchancement to your present skill set - go for it. But I would not spend a lot of on transcriptions program and then expect to make a viable living on that alone. That is why I am transitioning into a field that requires a person to be PRESEN - in the flesh. YOu cannot outsource these positions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Carol

49 months ago

this is a horrible job, sacrifice your health, stress over the top. I work in an acute care hospital and it is like working in a pressure cooker, extreme stress.

i have been doing medical transcription for 40 years, done all levels of it, cant even make enough to retire, DONT do it look for another career

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ja in Portland, Oregon

47 months ago

I have worked in transcription for 28 years, worked for myself, and now work at home for a large hospital system. They changed to a voice recognition system 1-1/2 years back and essentially the transcriptionists trained the system to do their job. They have taken away what was interesting about the job, i.e, researching patient information, terms,instruments; correcting grammar and syntax; and creating a report to be proud of. They have fired a significant part of the staff and are outsourcing some of the work. T hose of us who are left have to type as fast as we can just to keep our jobs, which I think will not be for long. This profession is dying out rapidly.

Carol

47 months ago

Hi

i am not sure why you got my email, but i am also a transcriptionist, been one for 40 years, work in a hospital and yes same thing, the out source and we have to type very fast this job is killing me and i haven't figured out how to retire yet, full age next year,hoping to quit by then

ca

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Loxahatchee, Florida

47 months ago

Now I am REALLY questioning whether I should just quit while I'm ahead...UGH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dillon in Wilmington, North Carolina

47 months ago

I just recently graduated from a MT course in North Carolina, and looking at these comments. It doesn't look too positive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

emily84 in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

47 months ago

What you really need if you want to get a job being an MT is experience. And experience comes by intership. Find a school that offers internship and you are set to go!! Good luck! BTW, I work at home fulltime being an MT and have a small daughter. Best wishes.

flub in Ansonia, Connecticut

42 months ago

ja in Portland, Oregon said: I have worked in transcription for 28 years, worked for myself, and now work at home for a large hospital system. They changed to a voice recognition system 1-1/2 years back and essentially the transcriptionists trained the system to do their job. They have taken away what was interesting about the job, i.e, researching patient information, terms,instruments; correcting grammar and syntax; and creating a report to be proud of. They have fired a significant part of the staff and are outsourcing some of the work. T hose of us who are left have to type as fast as we can just to keep our jobs, which I think will not be for long. This profession is dying out rapidly.

i thot it was just me feeling that way about speech recognition. i used to love my job, but now i absolutely loath my work. sad. MT used to be fun, now i barely make a living...

Paula in Rosedale, Maryland

30 months ago

Hi! I've been an MT for almost 13 years, ever since my 2 kids were 4 and 7. I had no problem working while they were home. I could work whatever hours I wanted as long as I met my daily quota. I was a subcontractor, so I had to figure out my own quarterly taxes, got no benefits or paid vacations, but I loved being home with the kids, had my husband's benefits and could take vacation whenever I wanted, OR take my work with me on vacation. I was working for MedQuist. THEN they made me an actual employee. So I had benefits and paid vacations and taxes taken out for me. Sounds great, but I couldn't just do a daily quota anymore. I had set hours. If I got up to use the bathroom or typed "the" instead of "she" for example, I would get threatened with getting "performance managed" by a b*tchy manager. This made me depressed, so I went to a different company called OSi, but then they got swallowed up by Nuance, and here came the phone calls. If I took 15 minutes to do a 1-minute report, because I had to go #2, I would get a phone call or email asking me why I took so long. They wanted me to clock out and back in (via an online punch clock) every time I stopped typing. THEN, I would get reprimanded for not getting my hours in. THEN came speech recognition at $0.35 per 65-character line. F that! I finally found a great company that lets me flex my hours as a subcontractor. I work when I want, as much or as little as I can. I give 2 weeks notice before 1-week unpaid vacations, or take my laptop along with me and work early in the mornings, and I love it! I make a whopping $0.10 per line (yes, this is A LOT in this field), and I make so much more money than with the corporate giants MedQuist or Nuance. Also, the company I work for has the best work ethic in that they DO NOT OUTSOURCE to India. They value patient safety and U.S. employees and, therefore, have vowed not to use speech recognition or outsource to ESLs. I just hope our clients keep adopting our values!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

emily84 in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

30 months ago

I am curious what company you work for. I work for a company that I like very well, but I only make 7.5 cents a line.

Lynn in Johnson City, Tennessee

25 months ago

I'd like to know where you went as well, I've seen my salary drop from 85,000 a year to less than 3000 a month if I work 7 days a week, and my company has been swallowed twice, this time by Nuance. I worked only one week for a company where you had to clock in and out to breathe, the nerve!

Stephanie in Portland, Oregon

14 months ago

Does anyone know of a great company to work for? looking for a company that values its employee.

pjss in Poolesville, Maryland

14 months ago

MedQuist and Nuance are eating up smaller companies and then making employees miserable with outsourcing, voice recognition proofreading positions at a rate of $0.035 per line, micromanagement, unreachable paid vacation time goals, and mandatory weekend and evening hours. Don't do it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.