To be the best...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 114)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every medical transcriptionist must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your medical transcriptionist expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Lynn

89 months ago

The three most important things:

Your ability to realize that you are typing confidential and sensitive reports. Keep in mind it is medical information.

Your ability to remember to do a spellcheck (get a progam installed with all medical terminology and prescription drug base..very helpful).

Proofread all work..even if you think you did it...go over it.

I am a medical transcriptionist (20+ years)..I started my own business 8 years ago and am flourishing...the only thing is...I can't find the help I need. I live in the Irwin PA area outside of Pittsburgh. I could have many more clients but as it is now I work 12 hours a day...6 days a week.!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jo in NJ in Toms River, New Jersey

89 months ago

I am curious why you cant get MT help. Would appreciate your reply since I think I am going back to finish my studies at the local college here. Thanks
Jo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lynn

89 months ago

Dear Jo:

It just seems that people are not training in this career anynore..and there is such a need for good transcriptionists. I have been unable to find anyone that is qualified, that will put the time and effort into making a career so they could work from home...I even offer them the training as long as they can type 60-70 have an ability to spell and use spellcheck...and on and on...but putting an ad in the paper is useless..Do you know anywhere on the internet I can place a specific ad for free for transcription? Lynn

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

Well Lynn
I am interested! But I dont know if I have the qualifications that you are looking for. I can type at least 60 wpm. I have my medical terminology textbook and tabor medical dictionary. I am very very organized, meticulous, dependable, have a home office and good equipment, 2 multi-function printers, laser & ink jet and fax. Do you have a specialization? Please let me know your thoughts? Thanks
jo in nj

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lynn

89 months ago

not to be funny...but I live in Pennsylvania..and do all work by pickup and delivery of tapes and work on a daily basis. No mailing..of any work..most docs aren't even willing to usse the internet.

but..you can always go to focusmatics.com and there is a test on there. you also can use textbook while taking the test. good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

Lynn said: not to be funny...but I live in Pennsylvania..and do all work by pickup and delivery of tapes and work on a daily basis. No mailing..of any work..most docs aren't even willing to usse the internet.
but..you can always go to focusmatics.com and there is a test on there. you also can use textbook while taking the test. good luck.

Thanks Lynn for the information. Good luck to you too

89 months ago

Lynn, I just went into the site you told me to but the url changed to something else. It is a website about cars....?

jo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lynn

89 months ago

jo..try spherion.com also

89 months ago

Ok I will
thanks Lynn!

Mary-Ellen in Avalon, Wisconsin

88 months ago

I took medical terminology, anatomy & physiology, and microbiology and chemistry at least 10 years ago in college. At that time I was a whiz with medical transcription, even amazing my college professors (I caught a few errors with their "test" tapes and it's context).

Anyyyyway, I haven't done this type of work in quite a few years but would like to get back into it -- as a home business to supplement my present employment.

I live in Wisconsin - midway between Milwaukee and Madison --- and am wondering what I need to do to make myself marketable and to effectively network to find the jobs I need.

Thanks for any assistance any of you can give me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JEANIE in South Fork, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

Hi Lynn!

I am an MT and have been for 17 years. I live near you. So, you have your own company or are you independent?

Lynn said: The three most important things:
Your ability to realize that you are typing confidential and sensitive reports. Keep in mind it is medical information.
Your ability to remember to do a spellcheck (get a progam installed with all medical terminology and prescription drug base..very helpful).
I am a medical transcriptionist (20+ years)..I started my own business 8 years ago and am flourishing...the only thing is...I can't find the help I need. I live in the Irwin PA area outside of Pittsburgh. I could have many more clients but as it is now I work 12 hours a day...6 days a week.!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lynn

88 months ago

where exactly do you live...i am interested in hiring

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JEANIE in South Fork, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

I live in Ligonier.

Jill S. in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

Hello, Irwin. I am from Jefferson Hills, could you use a former RN? I retired very early (44), and I am
looking for something new to do. Thank you.

Jill S. in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

Lynn said: Dear Jo:

It just seems that people are not training in this career anynore..and there is such a need for good transcriptionists. I have been unable to find anyone that is qualified, that will put the time and effort into making a career so they could work from home...I even offer them the training as long as they can type 60-70 have an ability to spell and use spellcheck...and on and on...but putting an ad in the paper is useless..Do you know anywhere on the internet I can place a specific ad for free for transcription? Lynn

Hello Lynn, I was an RN for 15 years, but, now I stay at home with my small children, and finances are getting tight- could I perform transcription? I type 60-70 wpm and I know how to use spellcheck (lol).
Thanks! Jill s

Richard 15882 in Mercer, Pennsylvania

86 months ago

Could your difficulty in finding qualified MTs lies in the fact that transcriptionists are tired of not getting paid what they deserve to make which includes benefits. Too many are using offshore transcription to save money......not American jobs!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

I wanted to also say that your are extremely correct on the three skills of transcribing. I work in a large Cleveland hospital and noone checks their work and the doctors just sign the reports without proof reading. I was hired to oversee the transcription department as well as the medical records. I am shocked at what I see and what I have to address.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer

86 months ago

Dear Lynn,

My name is Jennifer. I have been working in MT for two years now. I have been working for a woman, but recenlty she started school back and is only keeping enough work to keep herself employed. I am very interested in finding work ASAP. What kind of doctors do you transcribe for? I have done mostly work for just your general doctors who see patients with colds and such everyday, but I have helped her out just a little with a neurologist. Please let me know what work you have available and if you are needing someone to help you still.

Thanks,

Jennifer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa Grant in Gillette, Wyoming

85 months ago

Hello, my name is Lisa and I am from Wyoming. I have my Bachelor's degree in Education and I am very interested in becoming a medical transcriptionist but have no idea what to do from here. I have excellent computer skills and typing skills. I am an excellent speller and I am extremely detail oriented. I would love to be able to work from home especially since I'm on the computer all the time anyway. :-) Is it a long process to become one or is it pretty easy? If I happened to get trained, I could work for you possibly? Thank you :-) Lisa Grant

Rene'

85 months ago

Hi Lynn,
I live near you in Murrysville and am finishing up a certificate MT program and would love to work for you.
Rene'

85 months ago

Hi,

The best thing to do is educate yourself with a good terminology book & pharmacology book.

There is an excellent site called mtdesk.com.

Also, the most valuable thing you could do is go to aamt.org. This is the gold standard of medical transcription. It will explain almost everything you know to get you started.

I know the question was for Lynn; however, I wanted to make sure that you got a good start as I know Lynn would do.

Richard

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa Grant in Gillette, Wyoming

85 months ago

Thank you very much for the information. :-) I'm anxious to check out the websites. I appreciate it.

Lisa

Colleen in Johnstown, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

Lynn said: Dear Jo:

Dear Jo,

I would be more than willing to accept training from you so that I could work from my home. I have a strong background in the medical field and excellent typing skills. How can we get in touch?

Jeanie Horrell in South Fork, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

Hi Lynn!!

I spoke with you a couple months back regarding transcription. Try mtdaily.com or mtstars.com. Maybe you could post there.

If you get really, really backed up, maybe I can help you.

Rene'

85 months ago

I am just finishing school in MT @ WCCC. I am willing to get started working as soon as possible. How can I contact you?

Lynn

85 months ago

Richard 15882 in Mercer, Pennsylvania said: Hi,

The best thing to do is educate yourself with a good terminology book & pharmacology book.

There is an excellent site called mtdesk.com.

Also, the most valuable thing you could do is go to aamt.org. This is the gold standard of medical transcription. It will explain almost everything you know to get you started.

I know the question was for Lynn; however, I wanted to make sure that you got a good start as I know Lynn would do.

Richard

Thank you Richard for helping out..much appreciated. I have been ill and not on this site much.

Lynn

85 months ago

Jill S. in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Hello, Irwin. I am from Jefferson Hills, could you use a former RN? I retired very early (44), and I am
looking for something new to do. Thank you.

sorry I did not respond sooner. I have been off ill. I see that you are in the Pittsburgh area. I am about 30 miles from you, which is too far for what I need right now. But, you should look into working as a consultant or start your own business. Just go and visit some docs offices or call on the phone..and ask them if they are in need of a home medical transcriptionist...that's how I got started. Also..keep an eye out in the paper...and there is a company by the name of Focusinfomatics.com....they will give you an online test and if you pass...believe me they would love to have you. Good luck. When taking the test..always remember to google and the answers are there for you to find.

Lynn

85 months ago

Jeanie Horrell in South Fork, Pennsylvania said: Hi Lynn!!

I spoke with you a couple months back regarding transcription. Try mtdaily.com or mtstars.com. Maybe you could post there.

If you get really, really backed up, maybe I can help you.

please read the last comment I made to a request 7/14/07. Good luck to you.

Rene' in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

Lynn,
I live about 20 minutes from you and would be willing to pick up and drop off transcription with, or for you.
I do not know how to find a job outside of the internet based jobs.
I am a mature woman, recently finished a MT certificate program.
I have a new computer, wav pedal, software, dictionary, MT book, and a lot of interest.
If you would like to talk to me, I can be reached at rene614@aol.com.
Thanks,
Rene'

Lady Friday in Baltimore, Maryland

85 months ago

I have done transciption work for lawyers in the past, but not doctors. All of the MT jobs that I see posted on sites like Careerbuilder always ask for someone who has several years of experience.

So I've always wondered how you break into this field. Did you just go to doctors offices and offer your services?

My mother worked for a hospital here for many years, and now works in a doctor's office, so she might be able to give me some "leads." Ha!

Any info. would be appreciated.

DQU in Irwin, Pennsylvania

84 months ago

Lynn said: sorry I did not respond sooner. I have been off ill. I see that you are in the Pittsburgh area. I am about 30 miles from you, which is too far for what I need right now. But, you should look into working as a consultant or start your own business. Just go and visit some docs offices or call on the phone..and ask them if they are in need of a home medical transcriptionist...that's how I got started. Also..keep an eye out in the paper...and there is a company by the name of Focusinfomatics.com....they will give you an online test and if you pass...believe me they would love to have you. Good luck. When taking the test..always remember to google and the answers are there for you to find.

Lynn, I am also from Irwin and just happened upon this site. Are you still interested in transcription help? I am a transcriptionist with 20 years of experience in all areas of transcription, acute care and office notes. I am currently employed but looking for extra work.

Rebecca in Norfolk, Virginia

84 months ago

Working from home as an IC MT is the average day an eight hour one?

Maria Stahl in Lanesboro, Minnesota

84 months ago

Another thing to add to the list of qualities needed in a medical transcriptionist: You have to love words! If you are fascinated with where words come from, the evolution of language, and find beauty in the excellent use of language, then this field may be a good fit for you.

I love picking words apart to their Greek and Latin roots and putting them back together again.

(Hi there to Jeanie Horrell whose name I see up the list a ways, too! I miss chatting with you!)

Jeanie Horrell in South Fork, Pennsylvania

84 months ago

Maria!!!

I miss you too! Although, I have to say, where I'm at ... well, I'm just loving it! I hope the family is doing well.

Maria Stahl in Lanesboro, Minnesota

84 months ago

Jeanie, I didn't even know you had moved on until I tried to email you about maybe getting together for lunch next week. The phone number I have for you rings to a fax machine. Wanna email me and reestablish contact? Work email is fine... :o)

'Scuse me, Forum - I'll take my personal stuff off the forum now.

Donna in Goodyear, Arizona

84 months ago

I have been working from home as a transcriptionist for two years now and would like to work for an on-line company. Any leads out there?
Thanks--

Lynn in Andrews, Texas

84 months ago

I am an RN and would like to train as a MT so I can work from home...any idea how long it will take to complete training? I feel good about my medical terminology and type between 50-60 wpm

Lynn in Andrews, Texas

84 months ago

I am an RN and would like to train as a MT so I can work from home...any idea how long it will take to complete training? I feel good about my medical terminology and type between 50-60 wpm

donna in Goodyear, Arizona

84 months ago

I went to school for six months on a full time basis. There are many online courses now so check your local community college, but be careful there are many bogus courses out there too...

Lynn in Andrews, Texas

84 months ago

Thanks! Do you know anything about Career Steps? They seem to have a good reputation and help you find a job.

Jeanie Horrell in Saint Michael, Pennsylvania

84 months ago

Hi There!

Career Steps, The Andrews School and M-TEC (which I would personally recommend).

84 months ago

I have no experience with Career Steps. Like anything--ask a lot of questions, talk to former students, investigate before paying your money. If it sounds to good to be true...my sister did an online course with www.gatlineduction.com/medicaltranscription
and was very pleased...and she now does work for/with me...

Sally in Houston, Texas

84 months ago

Richard 15882 in Mercer, Pennsylvania said: Could your difficulty in finding qualified MTs lies in the fact that transcriptionists are tired of not getting paid what they deserve to make which includes benefits. Too many are using offshore transcription to save money......not American jobs!

Boy, you said a mouthful!!! I am really good transcriptionist and worked at home and did not make enough. I really believe what that is true about overseas as I worked at an oncologist's office and they used a terrible service that was overseas.... I am now doing demos (sales) in Kroger grocery stores....

Lynn in Andrews, Texas

84 months ago

How much can a new MT expect to make working at home?

84 months ago

New MTs make very little. I almost cried when I got my first paycheck...however, now Im making $400 a week...two years into this...I was either stupid or stubborn to stick with it...maybe a little of both...getting your first job is hard...and pay rates can vary...some places pay you a straight line count...some do character counts...some even pay per page...how much time do you have to take all this in...

Luanne Worthington in Owosso, Michigan

82 months ago

I am a retired elementary school teacher of 36 years and have taken the At-Home Professions MT course. I retired to take care of my grandson so my daughter could continue her nursing studies. I would like to work from home but don't know exactly how to get started. Any advice would be greately appreciated. I know of two MTs in my area who are preparing documents for doctors in other states, but everyone requires someone with experience.

mtathome in Yorba Linda, California

81 months ago

1. Self-disciplined.
2. Enjoy working with words...a reader, good speller.
3. Ability to pay attention to details.

Vonna Kiesznowski in Redwood, New York

80 months ago

I am just starting out and would like the chance to give you a hand. Please e-mail me at skiffett@yahoo.com. I am going to achieve my associates degree in 2009. I am somewhat familiar with transcription as a friend does it and I have helped her out a couple of times. My degree will be in medical coding, billing and transcription.

Vonna Kiesznowski in Redwood, New York

80 months ago

JEANIE in South Fork, Pennsylvania said: Hi Lynn!

I am an MT and have been for 17 years. I live near you. So, you have your own company or are you independent?

Hi, I am looking to start my transcription career. I have plenty of medical history behind me. please e-mail me at skiffett@yahoo.com

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.