Any reviews for Career Step or Andrews Training Corp?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 1259)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

MedTranHome in Washington

67 months ago

I'm curious if by "Andrews Training Corp" you mean this school: transcription.andrewsschool.com/

I've never heard of Andrews Training Corp for medical transcription, is why I ask.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Misty_ICMT in San Pedro, California

66 months ago

Hi Kelli,

I graduated from Career Step in September 2007 and had a job within two weeks of graduating. I didn't pay for the extra assistance looking for a job, but found they were a great help anyways. I still continue to receive e-mails periodically regarding companies that have contacted Career Step looking for graduates. I currently work as an independent contractor and all my clients have come through information I found through Career Step. I felt very prepared going into the workforce after my training with Career Step and still use their message board as a reference for job opportunities and company research, reference materials, and equipment info. Being able to transcribe "real" reports straight from the doctors was tremendous in preparing me for the working world. I highly recommend them!

Good luck!

Misty

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (86) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Kelligirlmartin in Crescent City, California

66 months ago

wow, thank you so much for your input. It will really help me make a decision. Thanks again.
kelli

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

chalena in Oskaloosa, Iowa

66 months ago

misty,

I have just started the MT course at CS and was wondering did you graduate with "high honors?"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Hi Chalena,

Welcome to the CS family! Yes, I graduated with high honors. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Mesa, Arizona

66 months ago

Misty_ICMT in San Pedro, California said: Hi Chalena,

Welcome to the CS family! Yes, I graduated with high honors. Good luck!

I am going to sign up for this course tomorrow (they are offering a promotion that will save me $250.00 off the course price) Did you work a full time job in addition to doing the course, or were you able to do the course full time. How long did it take you to complete it. I work a full time job and I am looking to get trained in MT so that I can do it part time now and eventually do it full time after I graduate. I am 55 years old so I still need to keep a Full time job for the health insurance. I appreciate any information you can provide me regarding this course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Hi Linda,

Fortunately, I was able to do the course full time. In total, it took me about 5-6 months. I had to stop during the course to move so it was stretched out a little bit. I know of people that have completed the course in 6-8 months while working a full-time job. They spent every free moment they had studying. I had originally planned for it to take me 3-4 months, but I learned to not worry about how long it was taking me and to concentrate on really learning the material. Getting through the initial "book work" was the most time consuming and can make you feel like you are never going to get through, but once you move into the transcribing portion of the course things move much faster. The extra time you put into the beginning of the course will greatly pay off when you start transcribing. Congrats and welcome to the CS family! Be sure to check out the message boards once you sign up for the course. They are very helpful and a great support. I wish you much luck in your new venture!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kristen in Temecula, California

66 months ago

Hello,

I am interested in any commentary on Career Step from graduates. Were you well prepared? I was just reviewing comments in another well known forum who did not have great things to say. THis was the first time I have read anything bad about CS...before I shell out money for training, I want to make sure I am not blind sided.

Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shelly in Winfield, British Columbia

66 months ago

Kristen in Temecula, California said: Hello,

I am interested in any commentary on Career Step from graduates. Were you well prepared? I was just reviewing comments in another well known forum who did not have great things to say. THis was the first time I have read anything bad about CS...before I shell out money for training, I want to make sure I am not blind sided.

Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks!

I am a Career Step graduate. I graduated a few years ago and received 3 job offers within a couple of weeks. Yes, I was completely prepared to start working as an MT.

It is not a super easy course but that is what helps to prepare you for the "real world" of medical transcription. For me, it was well worth the money.

Shelly
www.HomeTranscription.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Kristen in Temecula, California

66 months ago

Thanks, Shelly....you don't work for CS do you? :)

I certainly don't expect an easy curriculum, but I want to make sure I am receiving an adequate education so that I am quickly employed in the field. That is the impression I get from all of my research, but then I came across that forum and it worried me a bit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Linda Landman in Richmond, Texas

65 months ago

Pay attention to the Grammar!! I cannot stress this enough. I had an IT background and should have spent more time on the grammar. As it is I have had to go back and refresh and buy a Book of Style. Otherwise I am pretty satisfied with Career Step. You can email me at llandman1@comcast.net.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda in Springville, Utah

64 months ago

I decided to go with the Career Step course after I saw the demo. I like how the course is all online and self paced so I can work on it when I have time and I don't have to attend class. So far, I have really enjoyed it. Still in the beginning of the course but I am glad I decided to go with them. Check out the demo and see what you think. careerstep.com/demo-mt/?uid=a1403. I found Career Step through a website that talks about what to look for in a MT training course. bestmedicaltranscriptiontraining.com/index.html But the demo is what convinced me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Claire in Acworth, Georgia

63 months ago

Those of you who were successful through the Career Step program, did you order the text version of the course material ($250)? Would you recommend purchasing it? Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No Reply - Report abuse

Primo in Richmond, Texas

63 months ago

I attended and graduated Career Step. You can email me at llandman1@comast.net for further information.
Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Age in Orlando, Florida

62 months ago

I'm starting this course. Is it impossible if you have no previous experience in the medical field?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Primo in Richmond, Texas

62 months ago

I graduated Career Step in Nov. 2008. You can email me with any questions or concerns.
Llandman1@comcast.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Kelli Martin in Crescent City, California

62 months ago

Hi! I've tried your email several times and it keeps coming back undeliverable. Is there another email I might be able to contact you at? My email is kellijmartin@gmail.com Maybe it would be better if you sent me an email and I could reply so I'm sure it gets to you. Thanks, Kelli

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Primo in Richmond, Texas

62 months ago

IT'S LLANDMAN1@COMCAST.NET
Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Trisha in Scottsdale, Arizona

62 months ago

Linda in Mesa, Arizona said: I am going to sign up for this course tomorrow (they are offering a promotion that will save me $250.00 off the course price) Did you work a full time job in addition to doing the course, or were you able to do the course full time. How long did it take you to complete it. I work a full time job and I am looking to get trained in MT so that I can do it part time now and eventually do it full time after I graduate. I am 55 years old so I still need to keep a Full time job for the health insurance. I appreciate any information you can provide me regarding this course.

Linda i am glad you made this comment. I am 51 and am thinking of taking the course also througj Careet Step. I worked in surgery for 22 years but left in 1998. I feel the terminology will not be a problem but staying focused might be. I am confused on why each school tuitions are so all over the board and who is really good and others are just a blah school who takes your money. Any helpful comments is appreciated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Utica, Michigan

62 months ago

Kelligirlmartin in Crescent City, California said: I've been looking in to taking the med. transcription course through this school and was hoping there was someone who could give me some feedback. It was referenced on the AHDI website which gives it creditability, but I really wanted to hear from someone who completed it and if it was worth it. I also heard a lot about Career Step. Both programs offer assistance with job placement. It would be nice to talk with anyone who had experience with either of these schools. Any feedback positive or negative would be very helpful. Thanks!
Kelli

I have been told that AHDI is a reputable site. I graduated from OCC in Auburn Hills Medical Transcription course. I am still unemployed, but have been told that "where" you attend or take training is not that important. What does matter is the skills you acquire and the experience that you get.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Angel

62 months ago

Debbie in Utica, Michigan said: I have been told that AHDI is a reputable site. I graduated from OCC in Auburn Hills Medical Transcription course. I am still unemployed, but have been told that "where" you attend or take training is not that important. What does matter is the skills you acquire and the experience that you get.

How long ago did you graduate and did your school offer job placement?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Menominee, Michigan

62 months ago

Has anyone ever heard of At Home Professions? I attended a seminar last night on taking a course for become a MT. I have never heard of them before but their course seems very comprehensive. Please let me know if you have heard of them and what your opinions are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Utica, Michigan

62 months ago

I will graduate in one week! I have just found out that I can work with the internship/placement people. I will be checking that out tomorrow!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

obxmslee in Pikeville, Tennessee

62 months ago

I don't think that you get paid for the internship and I believe it is like 4 months.
Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Dalton, Pennsylvania

62 months ago

Cindy in Dalton, Pennsylvania said: Jennifer,
I was to an At Home Professions seminar just four days ago. I am trying to find out if anyone can give information on the course. If you hear anything back, would you please forward it to me at lhouse@epix.net.
Thanks,

Debbie,
What course or school are you graduating from?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Grisham in New Albany, Mississippi

61 months ago

Me and a friend of mine are seriously thinking of starting Career Step. Any advice would be greatly appreciated....PLEASE!

61 months ago

If you pay to get the books, can you look at the books and follow along online? Or do you have to pick one?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Does Career Step accept Pell Grant?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

obxmslee in Birmingham, Alabama

61 months ago

Career Step is strictly on a cash basis and I received my certificate from there and I would not recommend them. They say they help with jobs and have career placement. Spheris one of there so-called partners will not even look at a new graduate even though they say they will hire career steps graduates. If you don't finish the program on time then you have to pay for a 3 month extension and this is about 70 bucks. They just seem to be all about the money. Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

momto10cats in Huntersville, North Carolina

61 months ago

I graduated from Career Step in January, and after testing/applying to over 100 companies, I got a job! Career Step was a great school/course. My only problem was that they advertise that they will help/assist in finding employment, but they did not! I found my job on my own...and I paid the extra to be a platinum student for that benefit alone. Career Step is NOT strictly on a cash basis. You can pay with credit, check, or pay installments. Also, I applied for a scholarship and received one. They do not accept Pell Grants. I bought the books, and they have come in handy while working at my job. Don't get me wrong...the school is a great way to learn MT. I feel I am a better MT for having gone through their course. They just shouldn't advertise that they will help you in job placement...and finding a job as a newbee is very hard. You just have to keep applying and testing. Eventually, the right job will come along. RIGHT PLACE/RIGHT TIME!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Do you listen to what the doctor says and type what he says or do you listen to what the doctor says and turn it into a report?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Okay, if this is what you hear:

"The patient is a 32-year-old put him in room 2 white male who presented with a yeah, start an IV chief complaint of rats I can't find it what was this guy's problem when he got here? Never mind belly pain (rattle of x-ray film) ...okay, she can go; this is clear."

What would you type??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Rochester, Michigan

61 months ago

Cindy in Dalton, Pennsylvania said: Debbie,
What course or school are you graduating from?

I graduated in May 2009 from Oakland Community College in Auburn Hills, MI.

61 months ago

Angel said: How long ago did you graduate and did your school offer job placement?

I graduated in May 2009. No OCC does not offer job placement. They do have a site you can look at for posted jobs, but it is up to you to do anything with it. MT jobs are just not there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Cash, check, money order are ths same thing (MOMTO), no credit cards. Credit cards as I am sure you know are not CASH! Why don't you worry more about your transcription than having such thin skin over what I said. LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Kelligirlmartin in Crescent City, California said: wow, thank you so much for your input. It will really help me make a decision. Thanks again.
kelli

Hi, Kelli! I was just wondering what school you decided on?

61 months ago

Is it best to do this work on a laptop or desktop?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

peace3 in Miami, Florida

61 months ago

I would like toknow is career step is credit in Florida

need help in Shannon, Mississippi

61 months ago

Has anyone had a problem with Career Step? Is it worth it? Was it hard finding a job after completing their program? Please help! I seriously would like to work from home transcribing. Thanks

61 months ago

Make sure you are going into MT for the right reasons. It is not a get rich quick scheme. You have to know your stuff - it isn't easy. It is worth the work, but it isn't fast money.

61 months ago

The Career Step program is not an easy one. You really have to work hard and study. It was worth it, though. I know I got the initial interview with the company I work for partly because I was a Career Step honor grad. I would definitely pursue CS as the school to go to, but you have to be very serious about it. After you graduate, you also have to be deligent about finding a job. It's not easy. Entry level jobs are very hard to come by. A big part of actually finding a job is applying at the right time. In other words, A company may not have an entry level opening when you apply on Monday. Then on Tuesday, they do...and the person who applies on Tuesday will be the one who gets the interview. Just remember, after you test/apply, send a followup letter about 10 days later. I applied to over 100 (yes, 100!!) companies. Most of them didn't even respond back to me. Probably because they get 100s of applications a day. You just have to keep a positive attitude and know that the right job is out there. I didn't accept alot of job offers because they weren't the right fit for me...but when the right one came along, I jumped on it. If anyone has any questions about Career Step, please email me at lindasanmt@catpeoplerule.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Is transcription better than coding and billing? Does anyone know anything about the coding and billing course at Career Step?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

keeperathome in Rock Hill, South Carolina

61 months ago

Fayetteville Technical Community College (look for FTCC MedOnline in google) has CS platinum level courses CHEAP! The first part is only $65 and the 2nd half is only $175. I wrote and asked why it was cheaper and they said because it is a government subsidized school the rate is cheaper. However, she did advise me that you must register before August 30, 2009 to get it at that rate, because of new mandates. (Not sure what exactly she means by that). Classes are aired 2 times a week and you have a certain number of days to watch and do the work. I had just about decided to go through my area's technical college (to the tune of about $3,500), but I'm glad this is legit and so much cheaper. I've pretty much made up my mind as to what direction I will be headed! Just wanted to let you all know about this!

bethomas in Boiling Springs, South Carolina

61 months ago

Have you registered at FTCC for the Medical Transcription course? I had about decided on Career Step and decided to google reviews on them. I ran across your message.

Any help would be appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

keeperathome in Rock Hill, South Carolina

61 months ago

I haven't yet--but plan to in a few weeks. Here is the message I received from them regarding the price:

"Good morning! Thank you for your interest in the FTCC Med Online courses! Regarding your questions, the Part II courses will be $175.00. If you register for your Part I course after August 5th, 2009, your Part I course will be $175.00, as well. The price change is due to a mandate by the State of North Carolina.

However, you may certainly take our classes even though you live in South Carolina!

Debbie, please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns!

Best Regards,

Sydney E. Darden
Recruiter
Fayetteville Technical Community College
Center for Business & Industry
E-mail: dardens@faytechcc.edu

Hope this helps you make your decision!

p0cahontis in Geneva, Alabama

61 months ago

momto10cats in Huntersville, North Carolina said: I graduated from Career Step in January, and after testing/applying to over 100 companies, I got a job! Career Step was a great school/course. My only problem was that they advertise that they will help/assist in finding employment, but they did not! I found my job on my own...and I paid the extra to be a platinum student for that benefit alone. Career Step is NOT strictly on a cash basis. You can pay with credit, check, or pay installments. Also, I applied for a scholarship and received one. They do not accept Pell Grants. I bought the books, and they have come in handy while working at my job. Don't get me wrong...the school is a great way to learn MT. I feel I am a better MT for having gone through their course. They just shouldn't advertise that they will help you in job placement...and finding a job as a newbee is very hard. You just have to keep applying and testing. Eventually, the right job will come along. RIGHT PLACE/RIGHT TIME!!

Can you please help me with advice on where to go on the internet to find those 100 companies that I can test/apply for jobs with? Please help.

61 months ago

Here are some to start with:

InHealth -- www.inhealthtranscription.com
Med-Tech -- www.med-tech.net/
TriStar -- www.tristartranscription.com
Princeton -- www.princetontrans.com/
Sten-Tel -- www.sten-tel.com/careers.asp
Enright -- www.enrightcorp.com/newtrans/career_ops.html
Eagle's Landing -- www.elts.net/apply
Dearborn -- www.dearbornmedical.com/
Med-Scribe -- www.med-scribe.com/careerOpp.html#MTPositionsBenefits
Breitner -- breitner.mttest.com/
SoftScript -- www.softscript.com/careeropportunities.html#1
Echo Sten-Tel -- www.echostentel.com/careers.asp

CMT Corporation
DataKey
RI Unlimited
MedQuist
Oak Transcription
Princeton
Focus Infomatics

Dictation Services Group - DSG
Cymed (I think they have a different name now)
Princeton
RI Unlimited
Davis Transcription
Fuller & Associates
Scribe Voice & Data
Accuscribe
Transcription South
Medquist
Northeast
Arrendale Associates
Digital Records Inc.
Transolutions
Silent Type
Advanced
Accuscribe
Transcription Relief Services

Accuscribe
Advanced
Amphion (after unpaid training)
Arrendale Associates
Breitner -- breitner.mttest.com/
Cymed (I think they have a different name now)
CMT Corporation
Davis Transcription
DataKey
Dearborn -- www.dearbornmedical.com/
Dictation Services Group - DSG
Digital Records Inc.
Eagle's Landing -- www.elts.net/apply
Echo Sten-Tel -- www.echostentel.com/careers.http://www.echostentel.com/careers.asp
Enright -- www.enrightcorp.com/newtrans/career_ops.html
Focus Informatics (unpaid training ?)
Fuller & Associates
HyperType
InHealth -- www.inhealthtranscription.com
MedQuist
Med-Scribe -- www.med-scribe.com/careerOpp.html#MTPositionsBenefits
Med-Tech -- www.med-tech.net/
Northeast
Oak Transcription
Princeton -- www.princetontrans.com/
RI Unlimited
Scribes (Scribe Voice & Data ?)
Silent Type
SOAP transcri

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

srparker in Douglasville, Georgia

61 months ago

does anyone know about the CS medical billing and coding? I start this week and would greatly appreciate any info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

bh in Midlothian, Virginia

61 months ago

Hi, I am Bruce...

I'm studying with Career Step and I'm worried about the future. I was layed off from a retail company when they went bust back in January; I worked from home for the last 6 years with them making a salary of $43k. After being layed off, I decided to study medical transcription because I need a job that allows me to work from home. My question is that I have heard a lot of bad things about the national comoanies that Career Step promotes (i.e. Spheris and MedQuist). Is it impossible to make even $26,000 a year from these companies/national companies? What line rate on average do these companies pay? Is it 5 cents a line? I would like to make at least $26k a year is that even possible? I hope I didn't waste money paying for Career Step's MT Platinum package. I am doing this MT program to contribute to the family (my wife and 2 year old daughter). My wife is the breadwinner right now... thank God she gets paid extremely well as a speech language pathologist or I wouldn't be able to take an MT course.

Thanks for the help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Hi Bruce,

I wish you would have picked someone besides career step. They really don't care if you get hired with anyone or not in spite of the fact that they say they offer help with job placement. I had the platinum program as well. I tried to get a job with Spheris twice because they say they will hire new graduates. I have applied to about 60 companies and I have really good grammar and typing skills and have not been hired yet. Everyone says they want 2 or more years of experience. I finally got an in house Medical Transcription job at a Hospital where I love it, but I still want to work from home. I think most pay/work from home is around 8 to 9 cpl, and you most require you to type at least 1200 lines a day! That is a lot but you would make some decent money if you can do that. Most hire either full time employee or IC (independent contractor) these don't pay benefits. Just keep testing when you get through and good look. Hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.