Need to Interview a Mental Health Counselor

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

MsJJ in Raleigh, North Carolina

47 months ago

I have the following questions I would like to ask a professional Mental Health Counselor.

Questions:

1.) What does it mean to be a Mental Health Counselor?
2.) What are some successful strategies that helped with your academic progress?
3.) What are some current trends in the field?
4.)Will these trends affect my future work?
5.) What are some obstacles to avoid in my academic and professional development.
6.) Do you have any advice and feedback on my current plan to become a Mental Health Counselor with a specialization in personality disorders?

Thanks, so much! I need this info. for my final project on next week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

119 in Briarcliff Manor, New York

45 months ago

Not a good degree choice. Better deal is MSW.
MHC are not considered eligible for Medicare, some Medicaid programs,
and many private health insurers. MHC has no lines at most hospitals.
MHC cannot supervise social workers but social workers can supervise MHC.
More demand for MSW than MHC across the board. Most entry level jobs for MHC are HS grad, 2 yr college or Bachelor's level and no masters let alone license needed.
Difficult to get internships that are appropriate let alone jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

Kiki in Houston, Texas

45 months ago

MsJJ in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I have the following questions I would like to ask a professional Mental Health Counselor.

Questions:

1.) What does it mean to be a Mental Health Counselor?
2.) What are some successful strategies that helped with your academic progress?
3.) What are some current trends in the field?
4.)Will these trends affect my future work?
5.) What are some obstacles to avoid in my academic and professional development.
6.) Do you have any advice and feedback on my current plan to become a Mental Health Counselor with a specialization in personality disorders?

Thanks, so much! I need this info. for my final project on next week.

5. It depends on where you intend to practice. In Texas, mental health counselors are called Licensed Professional Counselors. There's plenty of work in this field as there are many people who are stressed these days. If you prefer to work in a hospital setting, then you will want to study social work and get the LCSW because LPCs are not reimbursed by Medicare/Medicaid. LPCs are paid by most insurance companies and now the US military recognizes the designation.

6. When it comes to reimbursement by insurance companies, you must assign clients a diagnosis or Axis I disorder. Personality disorders are not Axis I disorders. They are called "V codes" and insurance companies do not consider it medically necessary to treat. Depression, Schizophrenia, Bi-polar disorder, PTSD, and other Anxiety disorders are "medically necessary."

Hope that helps. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

seattlemft in Seattle, Washington

43 months ago

Most of the info below is specific to that state and NOT a representation of what is out there nationwide. Most private insurers actually do take LMHC, LMFT and MSW. However, MSW is not always paid for therapy (90806). There are many master's degree programs, PhD programs and state licensure for both LMHC and LMFT in addition to social work. Depends on what kind of work you want to do when you're done.

119 in Briarcliff Manor, New York said: Not a good degree choice. Better deal is MSW.
More demand for MSW than MHC across the board. Most entry level jobs for MHC are HS grad, 2 yr college or Bachelor's level and no masters let alone license needed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jay in Brooklyn, New York

29 months ago

First I would like to inform you that you are absolutly wrong. MHC are Licensed and if they are supervised by a Social Worker , the Social Worker has to be a Supervisor with a level 4 or higher. You are correct that most hospitals do not have MHC jobs, most of them are city hospitals. Private hospitals and state hospital do have MHC jobs and they pay very well. MHC is actually a growing trend that will be doing as good as social workers. If you add your CASAc with the degree you can do even better!

119 in Briarcliff Manor, New York said: Not a good degree choice. Better deal is MSW.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sheilchris in Bayonne, New Jersey

28 months ago

This is not true. Look online, there are many jobs for LMHC (licensed mental health counselor) and they require a Masters degree, not a HS diploma. I interned at a state psychiatric hospital as a therapist, and it was a great learning experience. LMHC is an upcoming and growing field, and is relatively new. Social Workers have been around much longer, have a bigger lobbyist organization and are represented in larger numbers, especially it seems in NYC. MHC's are clinically trained and have just as much clinical knowledge as a social worker. We are just a new profession, that is all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.