Any opportunity for self-expression

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

LeAnna in Plainfield, New Jersey

55 months ago

I'm thinking about the Mental Health Counseling profession. I've got a BA in English but I'm not interested in traditional English professions like writing, editing, and being a literary critic. Teaching, I'm not sure about either.

However, the thing I'm most worried about in being a MHC is not being able to express myself and express my own personal creativity. I understand that the profession involves mostly listening and the focus being on the person needing help, but is there a certain about of self-expression in the daily duties of the job, or is that completely cut out?

My main passion is helping others, listening, critical thinking on ideas, talking about ideas and concepts, and talking about feelings and emotions, which makes me think MHC would be a good match for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

mhc license eligible in New York, New York

55 months ago

you should research a counseling track through and MSW track. If you like to do clinical work, hospitals and other like centers are more interested in hiring MSWs, and with enough hours, you'd be eligible to sit for the LCSW (license clinical social worker). Alot of academia may restrict certain amounts creativity, but once you start practicing in your internships, there is more flexibility with good supervision.

I am a mental health counseling student, expected to graduate in may. It was a mistake to take this degree in NY, i beleive because the field is looking for LCSWs rather than MHC. There are many people in the field who are not open to this new degree (new to NYC). In NJ, it may be different. So I would look into that.

MHC programs may seem easier, that's what attracted me to the program... But a masters social work degree will be favored much more. And you can still practice psychotherapy!

Best of luck!

LeAnna in Buffalo, New York

55 months ago

Actually, I'm in Buffalo, NY - the site put me in NJ for some reason.

I've had some people recommend a MSW over MHC so I guess that what I need to look into. Thanks for your input though!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Struggling MHC

54 months ago

mhc license eligible in New York, New York said: you should research a counseling track through and MSW track. If you like to do clinical work, hospitals and other like centers are more interested in hiring MSWs, and with enough hours, you'd be eligible to sit for the LCSW (license clinical social worker). Alot of academia may restrict certain amounts creativity, but once you start practicing in your internships, there is more flexibility with good supervision.

I am a mental health counseling student, expected to graduate in may. It was a mistake to take this degree in NY, i beleive because the field is looking for LCSWs rather than MHC. There are many people in the field who are not open to this new degree (new to NYC). In NJ, it may be different. So I would look into that.

MHC programs may seem easier, that's what attracted me to the program... But a masters social work degree will be favored much more. And you can still practice psychotherapy!

Best of luck!

I have had my MHC degree for over 2 years now withou being able to find a licensed eligible position with the supervision I need for my license. As a matter of fact, I cannnot find any thing except some per diem work with the developmentally disabled population. I went to grad school in Florida and returned to New York thinking I could easily find work.....what a mistake! I don't know why the NYMHCA or the ACA doesn't do more to educate NY organizations. I think our clinical training is far more attractive to an employer than a social worker, if only they'd get their heads out of their *#@%.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mhc license eligible in Brooklyn, New York

54 months ago

Yeah, I hear ya! And I agree with all of your points.

Also, I just had an info session today at my school re: license eligible/permit applications, and there are rumors that if you don't put your permit "on hold" with the state, after three years, you're stuck. They want 3000 hours within two years, but will give you a third year if you apply for an extension. So, I'm not sure if you've already checked into that, but if not - I would do so ASAP, to make sure you don't fall into this dead end.

Like I said, I'm not sure if it's 100% true, but that is the information that someone heard at a NYMCHA meeting a few months back.

Good luck with everything!

Mary in New York, New York

40 months ago

Struggling MHC said: I have had my MHC degree for over 2 years now withou being able to find a licensed eligible position with the supervision I need for my license. As a matter of fact, I cannnot find any thing except some per diem work with the developmentally disabled population. I went to grad school in Florida and returned to New York thinking I could easily find work.....what a mistake! I don't know why the NYMHCA or the ACA doesn't do more to educate NY organizations. I think our clinical training is far more attractive to an employer than a social worker, if only they'd get their heads out of their *#@%.

I am looking for hours as well in NYC. You mentioned per diem work with the developmentally disabled population. I am interested in that population and I would really like to know more information or the organization.

psyling in Toronto, Ontario

40 months ago

almost same thing in Ontario (Canada). I am also "stuck" in private practice... Not too many clients, can not accept benefits... At a loss what to do.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.