Mental Health Counseling or Psych Nursing

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

amee200 in Boston, Massachusetts

19 months ago

I am a 43 year old career changer with a bachelor's in psychology from many years ago. I've been an admin in a hospital after staying home with my 3 young kids and now want to finally fulfill my career goals. I;ve taken nursing pre requisite courses as well as some masters level counseling classes over the last 2 years but still have not entered into a formal program. I keep flip flopping between the 2 choics (nursing or mental health counseling LMHC) and am torn. Money and job availability is part of the choice, and in that area I think nursing is the better choice.

My biggest issue is that I don't want to be a med/surg nurse- that I think wwold be too stressful. Although it is fascinating and intellectually I could do it, I don't know that general nursing would be a good personality fit for me. I know nurses need to be quick on their feet and always "on" if that makes sense? As a counselor, I know it is demanding but in a different scope. I am relatively bright and a critical thinker, but also on the quieter side and more laid back. Psych nurses need to be quick on their feet too, but with a different expertise. I wonder if there are any psych nurses who could offer a bit of advice as to what the job is really like and what the best personality fits are? Thanks for ANY help...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lucy in Brooklyn, New York

19 months ago

For psych nursing you need to look at the kinds of populations you would be with to determine the emotional/physical toll. some psych nursing can be much much more demanding than general nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.