WORKER PER RESIDENT RATIO FOR GROUP HOME

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

empowerhouseinc

73 months ago

JOHN in Burlingham, New York said: I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT MORE INFO REGARDING THE RATIO OF GROUP HOME RESIDENTS PER EMPLOYEE. MY WIFE CURRENTLY WORKS IN A HOME AND IS THE ONLY EMPLOYEE DURING THE OVERNITE SHIFT( 10 HOURS PER DAY INSTEAD OF 8). SHE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR 12 MENTALLY ILL ADULTS AT ALL TIMES ALONE WITH NO OTHER EMPLOYEES PRESENT. I DON'T THINK THIS IS A SAFE SITUATION AND WANT TO FIND OUT MORE INFO. THE EMPLOYER STATES THAT THEY MEET ALL REQUIREMENTS AS FAR AS STAFFING. IF ANYONE CAN OFFER SOME ADVISE OR LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Call you state liscening agency (CCL) at your state capitol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jan in Brooksville, Florida

64 months ago

JOHN in Burlingham, New York said: I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT MORE INFO REGARDING THE RATIO OF GROUP HOME RESIDENTS PER EMPLOYEE. MY WIFE CURRENTLY WORKS IN A HOME AND IS THE ONLY EMPLOYEE DURING THE OVERNITE SHIFT( 10 HOURS PER DAY INSTEAD OF 8). SHE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR 12 MENTALLY ILL ADULTS AT ALL TIMES ALONE WITH NO OTHER EMPLOYEES PRESENT. I DON'T THINK THIS IS A SAFE SITUATION AND WANT TO FIND OUT MORE INFO. THE EMPLOYER STATES THAT THEY MEET ALL REQUIREMENTS AS FAR AS STAFFING. IF ANYONE CAN OFFER SOME ADVISE OR LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Hi John,
I know exactly what your wife is going through. The ratio of patients per one employee is four. I had a job as the ONLY Mental Health Tech on an overnight shift with 18 Alzheimer's patients. I was alone in my unit for 10-12 hours. There was another unit on the other side of the ALF, and there was only one tech for that unit of 16 patients. Yes, I tried to ask for another tech, but I was told that the requirements of the ALF was only one tech at night. I was so exhausted because I did not have a chance to take a break, much less have time to eat. It is unsafe and risky because if I needed help, I had to call the Administrator,or 911. Heck, by the time anyone could arrive, I could have been seriously hurt, or the patient could have died. It is so unfair and dangerous. I think each ALF or Home in every state should be required to have two or three techs with that many patients. What it comes down to is MONEY, not safety. I quit due to the lack of concern for my well being. Believe me, this happens ALL the time. If you find out anything, please let me know. There is a need for change. I will be thinking of both of you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

msmmm215 in Lansdale, Pennsylvania

62 months ago

There should never be (1) staff for 8-12 residents. They are violating state rules. Call the Compliance Hotline the number is placed at all jobsites in the mental health care facilities. If an emergency arise, one person cannot help 8-10 people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

gwtarizona in Pheonix, Arizona

62 months ago

I work in a group home. On the night shift most time the consumers are alsept so there is no need for additional employee.

There should be a man a night working not a woman. Most company will hire men to work at night unless the house manager is a woman.

the ratio would be 2 workers on day and evening shifts

msmmm215 in Quakertown, Pennsylvania

62 months ago

Where I work we have 21 residents and althought they sleep at night, if there were a fire or another emergency, one person couldnot get the residents to safety. We have a man and a woman who work the overnite shifts. We also have male and females residents. Some issues males donot want to discuss with a female and vice versa. So it's good to have both sexes on duty. Also we have state regulations that we must abide by.

CAKEAGY in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania

57 months ago

I am employed as an activities assistant in a secured dementia altzheimer's unit

From approx 5 in the evening until8 I am the only one in the room with approx 20 residents. Is there any laws governing the patient employee ration in this situation?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Julie in Buffalo, New York

55 months ago

I am a Resident Counselor, working with adults with SEVERE mental illness (i.e. schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, borderline, etc.) in Buffalo, NY. I work long shifts (anywhere from 17-24 hours a shift!) I am the ONLY staff on overnight and reside with 20 residents in my own building and am on-call for 13 other residents in the community (for crisis management, etc.) So I am basically working with a 1:33 ratio. I feel that I am in an extremely unsafe position but can not quit until I have another job. I recently had an incident with a resident at the unit---------->and just heard that she may be coming back this week. I have suffered emotionally from this incident and I am terrified to go back to work. Is a 1:33 ratio for counselors in New York State legal? Is there anyone I can contact about this??

Julie in Buffalo, New York

55 months ago

Julie in Buffalo, New York said: I am a Resident Counselor, working with adults with SEVERE mental illness (i.e. schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, borderline, etc.) in Buffalo, NY. I work long shifts (anywhere from 17-24 hours a shift!) I am the ONLY staff on overnight and reside with 20 residents in my own building and am on-call for 13 other residents in the community (for crisis management, etc.) So I am basically working with a 1:33 ratio. I feel that I am in an extremely unsafe position but can not quit until I have another job. I recently had an incident with a resident at the unit---------->and just heard that she may be coming back this week. I have suffered emotionally from this incident and I am terrified to go back to work. Is a 1:33 ratio for counselors in New York State legal? Is there anyone I can contact about this??

I have both male and female residents at the unit and in the community. The majority are men and lately many of the residents have been decompensating due to the fact that there is only one counselor there (me) and all of their needs are not being addressed. And decompensation=unstable resident (Some have been refusing their meds.) Police have been called to our unit many times but they can not do anything if the resident "pulls it all together" for them. I am only a 5'0" (115 lb.) woman. I just keep thinking about the girl who was killed in the Lockport group home. And my former neighbor killed a social worker who came to her house for a routine site visit (she was paranoid---thinking that the social worker was trying to take her daughter away.) I already had to call the police on a resident and my supervisor shredded my paperwork regarding the incident so that staff was not aware of what really happened. I am so frustrated and I do not know what to do. Please help!

msmmm215 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

There should be a HOTLINE NUMBER POSTED AT THE SITE FOR COMPLIANCE. If not try to find where you can get the number. The state has rules and where you work they are surely breaking the rules. Once you contact Compliance they will help.

amalexander1961 in Bay City, Michigan

51 months ago

Anybody working in a resident group facility has certain criteria that the company has to follow in regards to staffing that is set by the state you live in. You have to find out what level and type your facility is. Does everybody walk, talk, bathe themselves, take medications when asked, etc..and basically take care of themselves? Or does the resident fight staff and other residents all the time, refuse their medications, refuse to shower, etc..? In Michigan, it depends on what level and type of facility it is as to how many staff have to be working at a particular time.
Anybody should be able to go onto the state where you reside's government website to find a link to look yp the criteria of the facility you work in. What level it is, what type of facility, and how many residents are allowed to be there at any time and what the staff ratio to resident is.

bigmoney in Orlando, Florida

51 months ago

does the courses that we take in college prepare you for the social worker exam or counselor? I want to get my masters in social work.

tarmancer in Sebeka, Minnesota

50 months ago

I am new to this profession and only have 3 months at this house with 2 to 3 residents with borderline, bi-polar and one who is hearing voices, seeing ghosts and does self harm (cutting) repeatedly. One client is verbally abusive and threatening in a physical way at times. We only make $8 hour. The administrator said this is due to cuts in health care funds. I just read our governor is accepting $260 million in federal medicaid funds. So I was wondering if this should allow for us to have a pay hike. Which if we don't get one soon I will be looking for other work. The stress is too great and the responsibility enormous for a measley $8 hour. What do you all think? Thank you.

ssg_mel in Fayetteville, North Carolina

47 months ago

that is to many for 1 person 5 is enough for 1 person

bevyjean19@yahoo.com

47 months ago

This is a very dangerous situation. True, some patients will be sleeping, I'm concerned about the rest. If not another worker available, where is security? Is this facility trying to save money or is this something new that all Mental Health facilities are trying to work with one staff now? Come on now!

jsplace in Missoula, Montana

42 months ago

In montana a mental health group home is only required to be staffed eight hours a day and by one staff. There is a 12/1 resident to staff ratio at the group home I am managing. We also choose to be staffed 24 hours a day.

Dolly in Columbia, Missouri

42 months ago

Hello I know from last place I worked it was every 18 people had to have 3 people at all times.
CNA MO

mari in Chicago, Illinois

31 months ago

I work at a mentally il facilities with 30 resident and we get new one often. during day shift at 7am there's 2 staff they give out med cook clean do laundry then there's a shift from that start at 3pm which there's only 1 staff it goes the same for overnight shift is it wrong to have a woman to work overnight shift alone?? And expect to keep my eyes on 30 mental il resident alone?? And with the paying of 9.00 is not worth it.. The facility is a small facility there ppl that are in wheel chair and there's one with a walker, there some bipolar and there's some that are seeing things and some are depressed.. Working at a home with 30 resident alone, which you gotta cook, clean, give out meds, do there laundry with the paying of 9 dollar and having the administrator complain about the way you clean(which i did an awesome job)is so not worth it.. What do you guys think??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Starr in Pinehurst, North Carolina

6 months ago

Hi John, I have worked in Group Homes for over ten years. In NC the ratio is 1/6. You are so right to think about her safety. I had five clients, and one male had a bad day (behavioral problem) and lucky I had a extra staff member there. He also broke my wrist. I had the phone, but could not use it, do to his death grip on my wrist. The injury hurt my shoulders, and I'm still having problems with it today. I'm going to put it this way, make sure she documents everything and cover her butt!!! When it comes down to the wire, they don't want to get rid of a client. Why? Because it cause the money each night they are not in the Group Home. That's the reason why, if a behavior starts, they want you to wait until the office open. So they can put a bandaid on a Big Wound. It want work!!! What I have seen and experience in Group Homes, I will never work in another. If something happens to your wife, Who are you going to sue? They can argue she knew what she was getting into. You can't sue a Mental Ill person, nor his parents, or guardian especially if he/she is an adult. The money might be good, how are you going to enjoy it hurt, or dead? Remember, the company will always cover themselves with well paid Lawyers. I wish you good Luck!!! Starr

RosieJ in Missoula, Montana

6 months ago

I don't think that there should be fear of clients with mental illnesses if the company does a good job screening the clients for hx of violence and crisis intervention training is provided to the employees. I think I would be more concerned with the people on the streets that aren't medicated and receiving therapy.

Violence is a product of anger issues not a product of mental illness!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.