Getting a meteorologist job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

How did you get your start doing meteorologist work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Scott Patterson in Schaumburg, Illinois

86 months ago

I didn't go about getting my first job as a meteorologist in an a planned out matter. After graduating college, I had a personal tradegy within my immediate family so I took time off. After about a year, I started looking for jobs again, and I had a lot of interviews, but no luck.

One thing to be ready for when applying for meteorology jobs. A lot, if not all private sector jobs, will conduct a phone interview first. Some companies like to call and suprise you, while others like to give you time.

My best advice, and this is coming from someone who doesn't like to network, you should network. Join your local AMS club or NWA, send your resume to companies even if they are not hiring. Join the Meteorology Employment Journal. You have to pay, but it is cheap.

I found my first job on the MEJ, and that is the only site I saw the posting on. I didn't even have the experience they needed, but I applied anyway. I was a great firs start.

Now I work, on my second job, in a much bigger operation. I have a lot more responsibility and I get compensated for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Yvette in Chicago, Illinois

80 months ago

What is the website to the Meteorology Employment Journal? I can't seem to find it online anywhere. Thanks for your comments Scott, they are much appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Morgarath234 in Chicago, Illinois

19 months ago

Do all meteorologists have to broadcast or can they just analyze changes in weather and report them? If not, how is the job outlook, or how common is it for someone to become a non-broadcasting meteorologists?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.