Tips for meteorologist interviews.

Comments (6)

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming meteorologist interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Scott Patterson in Schaumburg, Illinois

97 months ago

If you are preparing for your first meteorology interview there are some extra things you can be ready for. Most importantly, make sure you are yourself and stay calm and breathe.

My first interview over the phone was with 5 other people and I don't remember anything about it because I was so nervous and I was speaking so fast.

Also, make sure you are on the ball about the weather. Study up on the basics. They are not going to ask you specifics about the math part, unless you are trying to get a job in a math oriented job. They will ask general questions at first and then depending on the job, will get more specific.

I remember I applied to work as a marine forecaster, having no experience in marine and none as a forecaster. I however, had friends that worked for the company and the tipped me off to the types of questions. I made it through a phone interview, two in person interviews and part of a video conference interview. It ended up that the last person I saw didn't like me from the get go, nothing about the questions I was answering.

Make sure you don't go off topic. I got cornered when I went off about a company I would start. So they grilled me business questions, which I wasn't prepared for. I didn't get the job because of those questions.

Dress appropriately for the first in person interview.

Most companies that I dealt with will do phone interviews first before narrowing down the field.

If you are trying to get into the National Weather Service, no matter what any employee of the NWS tells you, you might have better luck playing the lottery.

lada b in Hutchinson, Kansas

74 months ago

that's confusing!!

Yasmine in London, United Kingdom

52 months ago

Hi Scott I am just trying to prepare myself to phone interview on monday as a marine forecaster and also have any experience. Could u pls right down for me example of guestion I can get. I am really streesed out.thanks a lot

A in Salt Lake City, Utah

52 months ago

Yasmine in London, United Kingdom said: Hi Scott I am just trying to prepare myself to phone interview on monday as a marine forecaster and also have any experience. Could u pls right down for me example of guestion I can get. I am really streesed out.thanks a lot

I am not Scott, but did work for a time as a marine forecaster.

1. Understand the terminology, such as difference between a swell and a wave, and the period.
2. Understand how a stable environment such as warm advection will have on the ocean surface and how and unstable environment such as cold advection will have.
3. Know the geography and climate of where you will be forecasting. If you will be concentrating on areas near the UK, you likely know the usual storm track during different times of year and this will help when a big storm is coming in winter across the Atlantic and very large swells are expected to be generated.
4. Of course know some about meteorology and how the air/ocean interaction works and how to read data of different charts.
5. Also knowing how to read MANMARs and SHIP reports lets them know you understand what you are doing.
6. Also, relax and be confident in yourself.

Yasmine in London, United Kingdom

52 months ago

A in Salt Lake City, Utah said: I am not Scott, but did work for a time as a marine forecaster.

1. Understand the terminology, such as difference between a swell and a wave, and the period.
2. Understand how a stable environment such as warm advection will have on the ocean surface and how and unstable environment such as cold advection will have.
3. Know the geography and climate of where you will be forecasting. If you will be concentrating on areas near the UK, you likely know the usual storm track during different times of year and this will help when a big storm is coming in winter across the Atlantic and very large swells are expected to be generated.
4. Of course know some about meteorology and how the air/ocean interaction works and how to read data of different charts.
5. Also knowing how to read MANMARs and SHIP reports lets them know you understand what you are doing.
6. Also, relax and be confident in yourself.

Hi. I am really appreciate for this information but I forgot to add that will be trainee marine forecaster. Can I still expect does kind of question. Thanks a lot for your help and advise.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.