What are the best monitor technician qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 124)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

acewarlock in Ellenton, Florida

64 months ago

Learn to read and comprehend, know where did I say CNA did the Prep.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dmunroe in Saint Cloud, Florida

64 months ago

acewarlock in Ellenton, Florida said: You must be a CNA, my wife is a RN and a friend of mine was having a bad Kidney removed (the one on the Right side), I told my wife about him getting the Operation that night and she was going to work so she stopped in to check on him for me before the operation and when she looked at his chart the Doctor had indicated that it was the LEFT KIDNY that was going to be removed and that was the side they where prepping. My wife Notified his Nurse and they got every thing stratined out. My friend thanked her for saving him. I sure as hell wouldn't want a CNA taking care of me and when I was in the hospital, I couldn't even get the CNA to mop the floor or clean the bathroom and they were filthy. I had to call house keeping and complain. they cleaned it then and gave me a dirty look while they where doing it.

Well If you would stop rambling from talking about people prepping the wrong side of a PT to I would never want a CNA taking care of me maybe people would get your point. Anyway what is your point or do you know. Are you just on here to bad mouth CNAs if so get a life and move on

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Learn to spell now doesn't have a K. LOL

acewarlock in Ellenton, Florida

64 months ago

It wasn't NOW it was KNOW, maybe it should have been (NO where did I say) But I didn't see you nit pick anyone else's spelling.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

GROW UP WTF ARE YOU DOING ON THIS PAGE ANYWAY. IF YOU NEED INFORMATION ON MONITOR TECH THATS WHAT THIS PAGE IS FOR OTHER THAN THAT GET OFF A-HOLE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dboyz0123 in Youngstown, Ohio

64 months ago

Dmunroe in Saint Cloud, Florida said: GROW UP WTF ARE YOU DOING ON THIS PAGE ANYWAY. IF YOU NEED INFORMATION ON MONITOR TECH THATS WHAT THIS PAGE IS FOR OTHER THAN THAT GET OFF A-HOLE

How did this turn into CNA's. First off to be a nurses aid all you need is a 3 month course. To be a nurse, you need atleast 2 years of full time schooling, plus many clinicals. If you go for your B.S.N( which most universities are )then your looking at 4 years atleast, if not more. Hope you see the difference. Look if you only give 3 months of training and low investment, your going to get paid less.

Far as job outlook for EKG techs Vicki: Ekg techs is a limiting field, b/c they can train other clincians to do them. Yes, will there be jobs, but alot less then there was awhile ago I would think. If your going ekg, I would try to find a course in which they train you to do holter, reading the ekgs( not just doing them ), and stress testing. If you look at the government website about jobs and professions, this is what they basically say as well.
Also, don't confuse cardiographic tehcnician( ekg tech ) with cardiovascular technician. Some programs want you to think CCT is for cardiovascular, it isn't.

However, if you can find your niche..then go for it. I mean if you take an ekg course and it teaches you how to read an ekg, then you might find work. I might be hard, but you can. It can open up the door for maybe monitor tech or you can go take an EMT course to. The pay isn't great for ekg techs, but for the limited training and for what you got to do...I say it beats min. wage. Mayeb do that, and go to school if you can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Darlene in Minneapolis, Minnesota

64 months ago

patrick in Orlando, Florida said: I've been a monitor tech since 1992. I took a course in cardiovascular technology and was able to land a job as a monitor tech. I dont recommend a $7000 or $9000 school to learn to be a monitor tech. Im trying to start a business teaching the course online far less than the schools offer. Look me up.

I'm moving from Minneapolis to Orlando after January 1, 2010. I have been a monitor tech 4 years at the University of Minnesota Hospital. It appears online that Osceola Regional Medical Center and Florida Hospital both employ monitor techs. Which facility, in your opinion, offers the better work environment/equipment. Do they use Space Labs? What is the starting pay scale for experienced applicants? Thank you very much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Hey guys don't pay for these expensive programs for ekg classes. At Kent State they will offer for $1,000 ekg, holter, and stress testing, plus medications related to the heart. It's only a 50 hour class and you get a cert. plus get to sit for national exams. You only need to put $500.00 down. There were 3 ppl that signed up, and I woulda been the 4th. They need 7. They said they will restart the program if more ppl call or join. It's at Kent state trumbull. It's from a REAL university. Not some crap. I am trying to gather ppl. Contact me or reply if your interested. $500 down will secure a spot. They closed it, but will re-open if more ppl join or call. I had them look up the salary, they make 30k a year- 40k( especially with stress testing ). Also, I asked the instructor it would qualify you to be a monitor tech/telementry tech. My guess they would restart it march 30th, cause that's when some of their other career development courses start.

If i can get up to six, I will be willing to give you a small loan and you can repay me through the program.....I understand the economy. The reason why is b/c you will be number 7, which they need. I really want this to happen. Reply or contact me, and I will group ppl. I am going into health care administration, but I want this cert.

Vicki Perkins in Marble Falls, Texas

63 months ago

That is a shame your not in Texas!!!! Thanks for the info though....

th23sm01 in Alliance, Ohio

63 months ago

BTclassic said: OMG, I took the ekg tech program at the community college. Learned ekg, stress, and advanced ekg reading. It took 5 months for the basic, intermediate and advanced courses, can now look at an ekg strip and tell you what is going on and what is causing it. Excellent program. This only cost 600.00, so I'm not sure why it would cost 7,000. That is unbelievable. I think I would have that school investigated. I took the national certification test and passed with flying colors. This course is thru Johns Hopkins Hospital also.[/QUO

whats the name of the school you took the course at?
thanks

63 months ago

th23sm01 in Alliance, Ohio said:

The school for 7,000 was allied health. You can take the some stuff at way less at Kent state Trumbull in ohio. If you call them and are interested in't $1,000.00. It's 50 hours. Allied health is 7x the amount, plus it will take you 6 months. That is really steep and a bit long. However, if your location screwed and have the fin.aid, IDK. Really i would still be willing to get ppl together for Kent.

Tracy Murriel in Inman, South Carolina

62 months ago

acewarlock in Ellenton, Florida said: I have called about 10 hospitals and they all say the same thing, they only give the course to there own employees that want to advance. I haven't found any schools that teach a monitor tech course but they do offer EKG/ECG courses.

If you are from South Carolina the community colleges offer a course called Arrhytmia
you need to check your local community colleges or take the course online from Spartanburg Community College or Greenville Technical College all oarelocated in South Carolina. The course is all you may need and the hospital will finish training you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jonny in Plainfield, New Jersey

62 months ago

How many monitors can a monitor tech safely watch at one time?

SLynn72 in San Diego, California

61 months ago

What is the certification that you need to be an EKG Tech? My school is pushing the American Phlebotomy Cert test. I plan to take the NCCT. Why would I need to take both? What are employers looking for?

JonTx in Lubbock, Texas

59 months ago

acewarlock in Ellenton, Florida said: I sure as hell wouldn't want a CNA taking care of me and when I was in the hospital, I couldn't even get the CNA to mop the floor or clean the bathroom and they were filthy. I had to call house keeping and complain. they cleaned it then and gave me a dirty look while they where doing it.

You are an arrogant dumba$$s- they are not there for you to order around "I couldn't even get the CNA to mop the floor or clean the bathroom and they were filthy".... Well lets see- first off, if the bathroom is filthy, it means YOU MADE IT THAT WAY!! Second, what makes you think you have the right to order them to mop the floor or clean the BR????? That is a function/duty of housekeeping; if all you got was a dirty look I'd say they were quite restrained and professional. You are a total tool, just because you're a pt. doesn't give you the right to order people around, and THEY ARE NOT THERE TO PROVIDE YOU WITH MAID-SEVICE.
As for your wife, why is she checking on your buddy with the 'supposed' kidney problem?? And then telling you about it??!! That's a HIPPA violation, and IF she is a nurse as you claim, she's acting in an extremely unprofessional manner- she should be fired over that crap.....
So, shut your pie-hole moron......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Vicki in Marble Falls, Texas

59 months ago

I wish i had seen the beginning of this! Thank goodness you stood up to that!! How awful that people now-in-days think CNA's are housekeeping!!! Gezzzz. As if we don't have enough to do!! These people should try working in that filed for one day and see how they react!! It's a team effort. And the ones that don't have family are usually totally alone and need all the extra help we can give them. It's a shame. I know folks think, "what are we paying for", when their loved ones aren't being cared for the way they think they should. But... some of them expect hand and foot! And the CNA always seems to get the bad end of the deal! Just not fair. Then, i wonder what can of dirty they meant? Dirty to some people is a paper towel on the floor while others is truly dirty! Thanks for standing up for us..... Best of luck to you!

JonTx in Lubbock, Texas

59 months ago

Hey Vicki- You are very welcome! I have seen and heard first hand some of the arrogance of these people. CNA's have a very hard job, and 99.9% of them work their butts off to take care of people, and make sure the pt. / family gets the best possible care. Many times this is without a simple Thank You from the family or their fellow staff members at the hospital, etc. I think it's time for CNA's to get the recognition they deserve, and to put these jerks in their place(s)!!

Best of Luck to you,
John

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

JonTx in Lubbock, Texas said: Hey Vicki- You are very welcome! I have seen and heard first hand some of the arrogance of these people. CNA's have a very hard job, and 99.9% of them work their butts off to take care of people, and make sure the pt. / family gets the best possible care. Many times this is without a simple Thank You from the family or their fellow staff members at the hospital, etc. I think it's time for CNA's to get the recognition they deserve, and to put these jerks in their place(s)!!

Best of Luck to you,
John

That is Sooo True!!! I remember coming home at nights just exhausted! It was very hard work. Trying to please everyone and at the same time get the job done. Multi tasking left and right! It doesn't surprise me that fellow workers leave the field. They just get burned out and tired of not being apprecaited for what they do! I've been away from it for almost 2 yrs now. I have to be honest... i don't miss it! I'll never forget what it takes to do for others like that!! And Thankful someone is there to do it! God Bless.....

Any luck finding schools that teach EKG? I hope to get through that one of these days!

Meg in Melbourne, Florida

59 months ago

acewarlock in Ellenton, Florida said: I have called about 10 hospitals and they all say the same thing, they only give the course to there own employees that want to advance. I haven't found any schools that teach a monitor tech course but they do offer EKG/ECG courses .

health 1st is where i am taking my class it is 5 wks in class and 80 hr clinicAls

Gina in Long Beach, California

57 months ago

WOW! isnt there anyone out there from the west caost? Iv been looking for a good EKG/ECG training program for a while (2 weeks). The $7000 program is through Allied which is acredited and offers NCET, NRCEKG, and CCT cerifications. Every other program iv seen are between $300 to $1000 and offer ASPT Cert. which is (American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians. This is confusing but im looking to have NCET, NRCEKG or CCT under my belt to be better employable and for more $$ of course. So if anyone out there knows of anything PLEASE let me know.

57 months ago

I'm not sure which colleges offer all those accredations but Houston Community College has an excellent program. Good luck on your search!!!

roger in San Francisco, California

57 months ago

I hope this helps people out.

I came from a place where they wouldnt teach you EKG/ECG unless you were staff/ or an RN already.. basically inhouse training.

When I moved here to the Bay area.. I saw it at a non credit institute (Regional Occupational Programs) and even tho it was non credit (school credit wise) you get a certificate for completion from the State of CA.

I think when you see 1 day or 2 week courses.. they are really crash courses. My program took 3 months and even some community colleges offer it for a whole semester.

A complete EKG course should have be a total package. Once done you can apply for 3 positions. Total package meaning you learn the rhythms and learn to put the electrodes in the proper place.

Monitor tech - diagnosis and monitoring heart rhythms with patients in a hospital.

EKG Tech - Actually put on the 12 leads and do a print out.

Stress EKG - Same as above, but when the patient is on a treadmill.

I'm pretty sure there are a couple more applications too.. such as reading strips at a center where patients are monitored at home.
---------------------------------------------

Some places hire for 1 specific task. If you are a monitor tech, you are gonna watching patients.. depending on the unit.. you might be 90% monitor tech, 10% unit clerk/secretary or vice versa.

some places also hire people just for 12lead EKG exclusively OR grouped with other tasks.. For instance you are a phelbotomist and EKG tech.
------------------------------------------

What most places want is a certificate that says you completed a good course.. and most will test you when you come in.

As a monitor tech, you will be tested on rhythm strips.. so know your rhythms and know how to measure the waves.

Once you got some experience.. especially in a cardiac unit.. you will get offered jobs because you have the experience (which is the most important thing).
--------------------------

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Don in Melbourne, Florida

57 months ago

Meg in Melbourne, Florida said: health 1st is where i am taking my class it is 5 wks in class and 80 hr clinicAls

Meg, do you know if the Health First course is open to the public or only HF staff? Also, do you know how that course compares to the EKG course offered by Florida Medical Training Institue here in Melbourne? Thanks

Megan Fretz in Melbourne, Florida

57 months ago

It is open to the public my mom works for Health first so she told me about it. They are trying not to flood the market so they are not going to do another class until 2011. But our teacher kept telling us that it is the best program in town due to the clinicals hours we received no where around here does that. They said employers waant the clinicals when they hire.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Megan Fretz in Melbourne, Florida

57 months ago

It is open to the public my mom works for Health first so she told me about it. They are trying not to flood the market so they are not going to do another class until 2011. But our teacher kept telling us that it is the best program in town due to the clinicals hours we received no where around here does that. They said employers waant the clinicals when they hire.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pam of Emanuel Medical Center in Turlock, California

57 months ago

norvic565@att.net in Chicago, Illinois said: Is it possible you can get me a school whre can learn ekg/ecg?

Most hospitals offer short, 6 to 12 week courses in EKG recognition and the class is usually under $100.00. Once you have completed it you are ready to train on the monitors. It is wise to have something lined up immediately as this is one of those things that if you dont start using what you've learned ASAP you are likely to forget it.

Bonnie in Sacramento, California

56 months ago

Gina in Long Beach, California said: WOW! isnt there anyone out there from the west caost? Iv been looking for a good EKG/ECG training program for a while (2 weeks). The $7000 program is through Allied which is acredited and offers NCET, NRCEKG, and CCT cerifications. Every other program iv seen are between $300 to $1000 and offer ASPT Cert. which is (American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians. This is confusing but im looking to have NCET, NRCEKG or CCT under my belt to be better employable and for more $$ of course. So if anyone out there knows of anything PLEASE let me know.

I'm in Northern Cal and I'm taking a course with Catholic Healthcare West at their Continuing Education Consortium. You should ask someone at the CHW Hospitals or any hospitals down there. Unless you want to come up here for 3 consecutive Wednesdays and get your certificate here. That's an option.
I'm a non-licensed worker and I don't work with CHW. The course cost me $250 but I am enjoying it very much.

56 months ago

Gina in Long Beach, California said: WOW! isnt there anyone out there from the west caost? Iv been looking for a good EKG/ECG training program for a while (2 weeks). The $7000 program is through Allied which is acredited and offers NCET, NRCEKG, and CCT cerifications. Every other program iv seen are between $300 to $1000 and offer ASPT Cert. which is (American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians. This is confusing but im looking to have NCET, NRCEKG or CCT under my belt to be better employable and for more $$ of course. So if anyone out there knows of anything PLEASE let me know.

First off 7k for ekg is nuts, if you look back I asked about allied. Unless your getting most of it paid with Fin. aid. However, the ASPT cert I see some colleges( in the workforce development part ) offer a course for $1000.00. The thing is these classes are not filling up. I tried for two semesters to get in, always like 2 ppl short. So, I just said w/e to it. Personal training cert instead. Do note I also have more one year in getting my science degree. Then onto healthcare admin.

Personally I would not make this a career. More like an add on. I mean what else would you want to apply this to? Did you want to be a future nurse? Something to coincide with it. If you can get work with it good. However, I would still pursue a degree. Esp. nowadays where the economy sucks, might as well be the educated one when the economy bounces back right?

Some quick degrees( well associates )

- Nursing( R.N or A.d.N...sometimes also A.S.N..all mean the same thing far as the degree ).
- Radiation technologist
- Respitory therapist. Now some schools still offer this with an associates. More than likely your community colleges.
- O.T.A( occupational therapy )
- P.T.A
- Dental hygiene
- Nuclear technologist

Other certs:
LPN
STNA
Pharmacy tech( don't like it, but for what it's worth )
ect

Tammy in Winfield, West Virginia

56 months ago

What does a good prudent nurse mean,i have a paper on it.

Tammy in Los Angeles, California

53 months ago

I am in the Los Angeles area and also looking for an EKG class. I found one in Monterey Park that is done 3 weekends in a row. That way you can still work your regular job during the week. I spoke with the women there and she was very helpful and spent an hour with me on the phone explaing everything I had questions about. I filled out the form online to ask to speak to someone and and got a phone call the next day (even though it was a sunday)

I spoke with her in October and if I remember correctly, it runs around $1,000 total including all books, etc. I think my plan is to start in January, even though it is an hour away from where I live.

Here is a link to the information www.regancareer.com/courses_ekg.php

53 months ago

Yep...I just completed that course. It was a great course but im having trouble finding a job because of no experience. Its been about 6 weeks now.

53 months ago

You took the course at Regan? Did they help you take the state test also?

I have seen quite a few jobs online that don't seem to ask for much experience, just the certification that you have taken the classes. Where are you looking for the jobs? I put "monitor tech jobs" in google along with a city name, and I have seen alot come up.

This job was posted for Glendale Adventist Medical Center as of 1 day ago: www.healthcaresource.com/glendale/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.jobDetails&template=dsp_job_details.cfm&cJobId=659563&source=Indeed.com

Here is another one just posted in Glendora... cvhp.jobscience.com/JsrApp/index.cfm?cmd=showPositionDetail&nextEvent=doSearchPositions&cobrandId=9000&masterId=cvhp001&accountId=FE26E4A5-1422-1DAF-B1DFC7CC5E04A10D&positionId=521989&prodApp=cc153c84-af0b-4f17-a32a-75aec3b65159&bID=1702

Maybe you will have some luck with one of those. Even if its one day a week, you get your foot in the door while you are still looking.

I wish I could talk to you on the phone, or email. I have a ton of questions about the classes at Regan

53 months ago

Iv applied to several jobs from Orange County to LA but no luck yet. My X calssmates are having the same problem. Yes there are many job posts but im guessing there are an abondant amount of people applying per job post. Anyhow, Regan does help you with the state test. Its through the NCCT for EKG.

P Dupree in Houston, Texas

52 months ago

Paul bunion said: Ekg techs are not qualified to be monitor techs at least most of the ones that I have worked with, and I have worked at a number of hospitals as a monitor tech. The only thing they do is connect the 12 lead portable monitor to a patient and press a botton. They have no idea what those little lines mean. Yes alot of places cross train their own employes but alot hire from the outside. Look for a EKG course to learn to do 12 lead ekgs and from there study the basic rhythms. It's good to know how to do a 12 lead but the majority of the learning is done on the job in my eyes.

I have just enrolled in a 12 lead ECG/EKG course at a junior college, the tuition seemed fair (about $600) I am trying to get into medical field after working for over 25 yrs in a totally different field ( sales in electrical oilfield) . I will begin course on Jan 19, 2011 and end on 03/02/11 - 52 HRS. They say in course description that they teach basic EKG along with stress testing and Holter monitors- They also say some technicians schedule appts, type dr's enterpretations, maintain patient files, and care for the equipment. This course will get me ready for the ECG EXAM offered by the ACA (American Certification agency) . Does this give me enough to get a job quickly, with on the job training- it seems they have RN's doing the EKG's now? I am ready for new field with at least decent pay, that can grow. I am presently doing home health care with help from unemployment. You seem to know what is going on out there. Any advice?

annie in Sun Valley, California

50 months ago

Gina, Whatever you do stay away from calif school of health sciences. They have a $250.00 4day cert. course. The teachers are rude and have very poor speaking skills. Read my comments earlier on this. Audit them without paying first. Read thier refund policy too. I brought 3 other people with me. I am so sorry I did. If you can help me find another school I would love to hear. Thanks Annie

annie in Sun Valley, California

50 months ago

Start asking questions of the hospital H.R. people. Find out what they are looking for.

Nicole in Fillmore, California

49 months ago

annie in Sun Valley, California said: Gina, Whatever you do stay away from calif school of health sciences. They have a $250.00 4day cert. course. The teachers are rude and have very poor speaking skills. Read my comments earlier on this. Audit them without paying first. Read thier refund policy too. I brought 3 other people with me. I am so sorry I did. If you can help me find another school I would love to hear. Thanks Annie

I am currently attending an EKG course in Simi Valley, Ca. I love it! Class is small and teacher is friendly and knowledgable. And plus the course is at an adult school and costs only about $700 including the book! At the end of the course you can take an exam by NCCT and become certified

49 months ago

Gina in Long beach...have you found a job yet?

Nicole....what school in Simi Valley are you going to? How long is your course and is it days, evenings or weekends?

PAULA D in Houston, Texas

49 months ago

Linda said: I've been a monitor tech/tele tech for 20 years.. I sit in an ICU unit and watch 6 ICU monitors and 8 Tele monitors... I like the hospital and the ICU Manager and nurses make my life worth going to work for, the pay could be better but at least I have a job I enjoy.

What schooling did you go thru?

PD

49 months ago

Tammy in Los Angeles, California said: Gina in Long beach...have you found a job yet?

Nicole....what school in Simi Valley are you going to? How long is your course and is it days, evenings or weekends?

No! I've applied to every job opening I can find too. Im just really not having any luck...I went to a school in Monterey Park (Regan Career Ins.) and passed the NCCT.

Nicole in Fillmore, California

49 months ago

Tammy in Los Angeles, California said: Gina in Long beach...have you found a job yet?

The name of the school is Simi Valley Adult School. They have a website you can check out. The course is one day a week on Wed nights from 5-9pm for about 18 weeks. We are about half way done. I don't think they will have another class starting until September though. They have other medical training programs as well.

49 months ago

Gina in Long Beach, California said: No! I've applied to every job opening I can find too. Im just really not having any luck...I went to a school in Monterey Park (Regan Career Ins.) and passed the NCCT.

I remember now, I did check into that school and was very excited about it and the people I spoke to were so very nice. I didn't sign up because I was discouraged at how many people I have read comments from that have not found jobs after completing any of the schools.

Its so discouraging. If you don't use your knowledge soon, you can forget what you learned. Are you working in a hospital/medical enviroment at all?

49 months ago

Nicole in Fillmore, California said: The name of the school is Simi Valley Adult School. They have a website you can check out. The course is one day a week on Wed nights from 5-9pm for about 18 weeks. We are about half way done. I don't think they will have another class starting until September though. They have other medical training programs as well.

I was originally looking for a weekend course as I am working during the week. I wish you all the luck. You will have to let us know if you find employment in your area.

ramirezrose in Chino, California

48 months ago

William Haglund in West Palm Beach, Florida said: Where can I take a Monitor Tech Class?

where in chino california can I take a monitor tech class?

PDupree in Houston, Texas

48 months ago

I don't know about Chino, Ca. - But here I took continuing ed courses one in EKG TECHNICIAN (which was only about 6 weeks, bought textbook) . Also took BLS (CPR/ AED- BASIC LIFE SAVING SKILLS AT SAME SCHOOL- 1 DAY COURSE- HAVE MY LIC/ CARD FOR THAT)- This was at a Junior College, which has alot of continuing ED & Technical courses. Now I will take a National course NCCT.COM, and will get license in being Monitor Technician. I have gone to a couple of hospital HR depts, and they all say I can get job as monitor tech- making $15.00-16.00hr - Just have to get the National license, and also am required to update my knowledge every year. You might contact NCCT.COM for info in your area.
Thanks, and Good luck & Blessings for both of us!

Kate in Lake Elsinore, California

46 months ago

Flex Ed has a course in Chino and they are very reasonable. They have package deals so you get training in areas that make you more marketable. Great class. I know I am in it.

MTinKY in Kentucky

46 months ago

Apparently I was fortunate b/c I can't imagine shelling out hundreds or thousands of dollars to take a class to be a Monitor Tech. I have been doing this almost 2 years, was hired off the street with no experience in the medical field whatsoever. The Education Director at the hospital and the other MT's taught me how to read the strips. None of the other MT's had experience either when they were hired. I work day shift so I also do unit clerk along with being a monitor tech. I did night shift for a while too and it's not much fun. Either shift requires a lot of sitting and staring though. The job is rather boring and doesn't pay that great, $11-12/hr depending on experience. But in this town, there's not much else to do.

Kate in Lake Elsinore, California

46 months ago

Thank you for commenting. I appreciate it. I guess what I really need to know is who will hire me with no experience. I am certain there are places that do but, in todays job market it is tough. Again, I thank you for taking the time to reply.

46 months ago

Hey Kate.... I think the answer to that is No! Might be wrong but i have been searching myself and find thet they want some type of experance behind the belt. It is enough to drive you crazy because how are you suppose to get it if they don't hire you! =) You might have to relocate or take extra measures to do this. And... that can be hard but you have to decide.

I finally found a school in Texas. It is in Houston through HCC. I believe the total program is about $1000.00 with books. It is divided into two programs, each a semester long. One leads you into learning about EKG and hooking pts up while the other just teaches you how to read the strips. They also offer internships so you can get the experance you need. Not a lot but i believe enough to get you into a job. I heard that Monitor Techs start off around $12/$14.00 per hour. Great pay for what you do and will only help if you decide to look into other fields of study.

Wish you the best of luck......

46 months ago

Just a note. I live close to Austin and have found that the only schools there are one day classes at the hospitals. I can't see paying $100.00 bucks for a class that is not going to provide enough time to really learn what you need to know. Takes time to uderstand what your reading.

San Antoino Jr college also offers a 6 week program through the nursing con't ed program. It is only one night during the week and i belive it is 3 months long. There is not internship.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.