Getting ahead...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a hirable music teacher? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective music teacher?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

Sonia in Bandung, Indonesia

112 months ago

i think the best training as a music teacher is experience, and also your own skill (experience) in music.
pedagogy is the science of being teacher (psychology), but still the next thing you'll need to be a real teacher (on first day teaching) is to be prepared (emotionally).
when you meet your students, your abilities/skills/degrees comes next. what matters is, can you teach? can you handle students with various behavior, conditions, parents, abilities to learn? you'll learn how to teach in any terms of conditions by experiencing teaching.
and also of course you'll need a proper education to become a teacher + keep studying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jules in Grand Bend, Ontario

104 months ago

I'm in gr.10 and doing a careers project on a music teacher. I am planning on perusing a career in teaching music. I have played music since I was 6. I am in academic with honors.

I am currently in 4 bands at my school and play the flute at a gr.11 level, the trumpet at a gr. 9 level, and saxophone at a gr. 9 level.

Do you think I would be good to pursue a career as a music teacher? And exactly what education will I need?

Please reply I would enjoy hearing your comments!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Laura in Greenville, Pennsylvania

84 months ago

Jules in Grand Bend, Ontario said: I'm in gr.10 and doing a careers project on a music teacher. I am planning on perusing a career in teaching music. I have played music since I was 6. I am in academic with honors.

I am currently in 4 bands at my school and play the flute at a gr.11 level, the trumpet at a gr. 9 level, and saxophone at a gr. 9 level.

Do you think I would be good to pursue a career as a music teacher? And exactly what education will I need?

Please reply I would enjoy hearing your comments!

I am a recent music ed. graduate looking for a music teaching position. I must say, you certainly have the musical skills and talent to be a music teacher, but it's more than just your own musical skills. There are so many questions that need to be answered.
First of all, just because you have the musical talent does not guarantee you'll be able to teach it well. Try to find ways that you can teach other students to play and instrument. Try to find a way to give music lessons. Explore teaching music now as much as you can and discover if you really enjoy teaching others.
Also, you could pursue a career in musical performance if teaching is not exactly what you want to do...but most of all make sure you are passionate about music. Don't teach music simply because you're just good at it!!! I hope this helps good luck. Keep playing music!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.