mystery shopper newbie

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (33)

asingarbo in Staten Island, New York

71 months ago

just got an offer from colonia consumer surveys with a large check told to deposit and wait until it clears then send money to canada thru moneygram. 2nd assignement to keep 100 and shop at gap, jc penneys, sears or walmart and fax both evaluations. does this sound legit? has anyone ever heard of this company? when i called them they answered the phone and gave me legitimate answers with an extention to call back if i had anymore questions? i also get paid $300 per week should i join this mystery shopping co.i lay out no money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

charles in Cumberland, Maryland

71 months ago

no dont do it my bank just told me it was a HUGE scam the check wont clear and your bank account will bouce it take 15 days to actually clear

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Muskegon, Michigan

71 months ago

DUDE!!!!!! no, don't do it. It is a scam. I am a mystery shopper, that is not the way it works. Scam!!!!! do not fall for it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

samander in Jackson, Mississippi

71 months ago

This is a SCAM my friend got ripped off with this same thing. she had to file police reports and everything Bad Idea!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

babe in Belleville, Illinois

71 months ago

I just got this letter and huge check and decieded to research it. Glad I did, it just confirmed what my husband said. One would not know any better about "secret shopping" Thanks!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kristine in Perris, California

71 months ago

asingarbo in Staten Island, New York said: just got an offer from colonia consumer surveys with a large check told to deposit and wait until it clears then send money to canada thru moneygram. 2nd assignement to keep 100 and shop at gap, jc penneys, sears or walmart and fax both evaluations. does this sound legit? has anyone ever heard of this company? when i called them they answered the phone and gave me legitimate answers with an extention to call back if i had anymore questions? i also get paid $300 per week should i join this mystery shopping co.i lay out no money.

Hi! I just got the same exact letter today - thought what a God send and how did I get picked... called them talked with 'Rachael' who seemed to be able to answer my questions, but very cryptic! then talked with a very level-headed friend who is a mystery shopper - said this is a scam! google colonia tepeyac, ltd and it's a subsidised apartment complex in Texas

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Angel in Van Buren, Ohio

71 months ago

Just got the same Letter! WOW! Cannot believe there are people willing to do this to those of us who are really looking for jobs!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Angel in Van Buren, Ohio

71 months ago

So totally fake! I am talking to a man right now who sounds like he is asleep and has a strong mexican accent, I told him that there was a website with a lot of dissatisfied "employees" and that I wanted to know if it was real. When I refused to tell him what site it was he got all upset with me and told me that I was not cooperating with him and telling him what he wants to know in order to tell me what I needed to know. I told him I wanted to speak with someone else, and that he was not being professional, he would think that if he wanted my business he would do everything in his power to answer my questions about legitimacy. He tells me to hold on, and I have been on hold for 4 minutes. Actually, I believe he just hung up on me! He had said if you aren't interested we can just cancel the check! SUCH A SCAM!

Donna in Aurora, Missouri

71 months ago

I just received the check yesterday and call the bank it was written with.
They said the check is NOT good and to report it to the authorities

Elisabeth in Seattle, Washington

71 months ago

Got this in the mail yesterday. I thought it was a scam, thanks for confirming. Now what do I do with the check??? Tear it up? Report it to who? I don't even know why I recieved this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

lovemykidz2 in Paramus, New Jersey

71 months ago

I was almost scammed with a similar situation. I reported them to an online agency and you also have to report it to your local police department. I do not remember the online agency but the police department should be able to tell you. Keep the check and any other correspondence you may have.

Patricia Truesdale in Jacksonville, Florida

71 months ago

asingarbo in Staten Island, New York said: just got an offer from colonia consumer surveys with a large check told to deposit and wait until it clears then send money to canada thru moneygram. 2nd assignement to keep 100 and shop at gap, jc penneys, sears or walmart and fax both evaluations. does this sound legit? has anyone ever heard of this company? when i called them they answered the phone and gave me legitimate answers with an extention to call back if i had anymore questions? i also get paid $300 per week should i join this mystery shopping co.i lay out no money.

God, I wish I had seen this last week!! I got scammed through these people. I got a large check in the mail, told to deposit it and wire money to New York. Well, I fell for it. Yesterday my bank called me and said the check I deposited was counterfeit!! Imagine my surprise! Now wait for it...I owe the bank over $4000.00!! If anyone gets a letter like this: DON'T DO IT! I learned the hard way that this is a scam. I was just looking for a job to earn extra money in hard times, and now I've fell on REALLY HARD TIMES! I should have known better & I want to make sure other people don't fall into this trap!

jech in Henderson, Nevada

71 months ago

I received the same exact check last night...i knew it would have to be a scam. it doesn't really make sense..they want me to send d money thru money gram to canada to a person named Jan but they would like my last name put in..that would be such a lie i wouldn't even dare trying.. thank you for your comments.. i tore the papers n check apart. i should have reported it to authorities...For all of you out there who received such.. please don't fall for it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Desperate in the desert ! !

71 months ago

I just got the same letter and check. I was told to send the money to someone with my same last name in Canada. I am in such financial danger I was thinking about doing it. What if you open up a separate account and wait til the check clears. Would I still be charged fees on an account with only that money in it ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jech in Henderson, Nevada

71 months ago

Desperate in the desert ! ! said: I just got the same letter and check. I was told to send the money to someone with my same last name in Canada. I am in such financial danger I was thinking about doing it. What if you open up a separate account and wait til the check clears. Would I still be charged fees on an account with only that money in it ?

it won't clear because it's a scam. others have done it and now, they're paying the price. and besides, if you open another account, it would still be under your name and you are still d one that's liable to pay it all unless, they can track the scammers down in texas and find some evidence that you are one of d many that has been victimized.

i knw tht everyone needs extra income....i encourage you to pray and trust the LORD. He will help you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

springtime in Little Rock, Arkansas

71 months ago

Desperate in the desert ! ! said: I just got the same letter and check. I was told to send the money to someone with my same last name in Canada. I am in such financial danger I was thinking about doing it. What if you open up a separate account and wait til the check clears. Would I still be charged fees on an account with only that money in it ?

If you think you are in financial danger now, you will be in financial "HELL" if you get involved with this rip-off. There is a notice put out by the Attorney General (check with your attorney general office, official government website) warning of this scam. Check it out with the Attorney General's office and the Better Business Bureau. After that DO NOT FALL FOR THIS!!!!

71 months ago

you can also go into the bank and they can all the fraud dept. i did this and they immediately told me the check was no good. i also reported them and called the company(a reputable one) whose name was on the check and they had no idea.

71 months ago

thanks for the info. i was able to track down the scammers and report them. it pisses me off that they can prey on people who are just trying to make an extra buck. hopefully they will get theirs in the end

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Callaway in Forest Park, Georgia

71 months ago

I also received a letter today with a large check in it wanting me to send over $3,000 wired to Moneygram and then also spend $100 for doing a review for stores Sears, wallmart,JC Penny,and the Gap. The check is from a bank here in Georgia (well known) and they also had where I would keep purchased items and $300 for my "probation training." Like everything else I have read, it all seemed 2 good to be true. Get paid $400.00 a week and get a raise after 6 months. Mind you this is part-time work.The red flag went up and I called and spoke to a person that did not speeak English well. Still, I wanted to believe it could be possible then I saw the post mark on the envelope (from Canada) although the office I am suppose to work out of is in Ga. No Company name found in telephone book and I also thought it to be strange they wanted me to deposit check wait for it to clear and then proceed.. If it wasn't for the Moneygram and postmark I never would have thought to check this out here with all of you. Thanks, Callaway I shall call bank in morning...

dream87 in Roseville, California

71 months ago

i just got letter from consumer opinion service inc.....they gave me a check from columbia state bank from bellevue,WA98004....they gave me 3,695.00 dollars...they gave me two assignments first is go to money gram and give 3100 dollars to their agents+200 dolllars is a fee.then they give 95 dollars to shop at wal mart,jc pennet,victoria'secret,sears,home depot,K-mart,toysrus,dillard,MACY,s ....there was a number on the letter she is my corespondence i called her and she seemed like she is talking from her home soooo lazy and sleepy....and she said there is 300 dollars in a check for u ..my first week's pay....I AM SOO CONFUSED WHAT TO DOOO
THE STEMP ON THE LETTER IS FROM CANADA .................plz help me give me some advice how can i confirm it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

triciatruesdale in Jacksonville, Florida

71 months ago

Don't fall for it! It is a scam. I fell for it, and it's costing me over $4000.00! I want to make sure that no one else will be cheated out of their money. The best thing you could do is call the bank that the check was issued from and have the routing numbers and account number checked. I guarantee that is a stolen or counterfeit check. If you cash it, you are responsible in the bank's eyes for the money if that check bounces. I know, because it happened to me....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

dream87 in Roseville, California

70 months ago

THANK GOD
I READ THIS FORUM BEFORE DEPOSIT THAT CHECK INTO MY ACCOUT AS I MENTIONED IN MY PREVIOUS POST I GOT A LETTER TO BECOME A MYSTERY SHOPPER FROM CONSUMER AFFAIR SERVICES WITH A BIG AMOUNT OF CHECK........I KNEW THAT SOMETHING IS WRONG SO I DID SOME SEARCH AND FIND OUT THAT THERE IS NO COMPANY WITH THAT NAME AND THEN I CALLED THE BANK TO CONFIRM ABOUT THE CHECK THEY TOLD ME THAT ACCOUNT IS CLOSED FROM A LONG TIME........WHAT A SCAM
THANKS TO GOD I DID NOT GO FOR IT...........
I HAVE A QUESTION I HAVE THAT LETTER ...CAN I COMPLAIN IT TO POLICE
THANKS

nnn

70 months ago

DON'T DO IT. MY SON DID THIS OVER A YEAR AGO AND GOT IN TROUBLE WITH HIS BANK WHEN THE CHECK BOUNCED...
REPORT THIS COMPANY...IT IS A MAJOR SCAM!

brenda christy in Sarasota, Florida

65 months ago

I just got a letter from KBHoldings for a secret shopper they sent me a check for 2,985.oo dollars it told me to call a lady named cindy to activate the check and then my first assignment was to evaluate western union by rating them on their competencies and good Customer relations by doing a fund transfer to their area manager of 2,000 dollars which is out of the check they gave me so It's not my money its of the money they sent me then my next one is going to walmart sears costco bestbuy or home depot and take 250 dollars of the money they sent me has anyone ever heard of this and how do I know if it is a REAL secret shopper company? Thank you

NNN

65 months ago

Absolutely DON'T do this. My son did exactly that a year ago and almost lost a lot of money and his back had to close his account. This is a scam.

NA in Greensboro, North Carolina

65 months ago

There are so many fake companies out there working this scam. I just wasted time emailing back and forth with a company called Briliant Survey. I guess it should have been a clue when they couldn't spell Briliant correctly. DON'T FALL FOR IT!!!

baeb1989

63 months ago

Yeah I just got a check in the mail for $2,850.68.. They wanted me to evaluate western union and on top of that wire the money to somebody in Florida. The place the check was from is called Georgia Fund 1.. Im glad i saw this website cause I already have a felony on my record so I dont think the police would of believed me.

joyce in Mountain View, Arkansas

55 months ago

hi i just got one also i put 2,100 in the bank 6 day ago i havn,t hear back yet but i think your right they told me to cash the money and send it to phippben i no that not spelled right sorry any way hold back 200 plus money gram money to send i glad i look here thank you for your input

barbie in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

35 months ago

kristine in Perris, California said: Hi! I just got the same exact letter today - thought what a God send and how did I get picked... called them talked with 'Rachael' who seemed to be able to answer my questions, but very cryptic! then talked with a very level-headed friend who is a mystery shopper - said this is a scam! google colonia tepeyac, ltd and it's a subsidised apartment complex in Texas

Wat is this website called

Tina in Knoxville, Tennessee

35 months ago

So how do I find a ligit mystery shopper job?

Stephanie in Calabasas, California

22 months ago

Tina in Knoxville, Tennessee said: So how do I find a ligit mystery shopper job?

There is no such thing as a mystery shopper "job". It is self employment/independent contractor work. Check out the MSPA's website for information on legitimate companies.

Vida in California

13 months ago

I received a.large check today for over 3000 I tried to look up the company I am glad I did read about this BIG SCAM¡!¡¡!

ryanwalker69 in Dallas, Texas

10 months ago

If you are thinking to work as a mystery shopper, then do some research about the popular companies, their service areas etc. The MSPA's website is a reliable source to search such companies. To avoid the scams, you can also check for the information such as mystery shopping company's website and look for their service areas, types of mystery shopping they provide. 'Mystery shopper' is a self-employment, so first know their responsibilities, what is their role in mystery shopping and what are the different methods to do it.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.