Training for an entry-level job?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Brian Gates in Olympia, Washington

79 months ago

I have an Associate's Degree from a two-year community college. It is not technology related.

At the beginning of this year I debated between entering a paralegal program and a network administration program. Both last one year. I ended up going with the paralegal thing and it turned out to be a huge f*ckign mistake from hell. Now I want to do the network admin thing, but it doesn't start again until September, which sucks.

My question is, can I get an entry-level job, such as a help desk job, if I study on my own and obtain the certs on my own? If so, can anybody suggest training materials to use, as well as what certs I should aim for?

Any info would be appreciated...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Arnaldo De Jesus in Virginia Beach, Virginia

75 months ago

Brian Gates in Olympia, Washington said: I have an Associate's Degree from a two-year community college. It is not technology related.

At the beginning of this year I debated between entering a paralegal program and a network administration program. Both last one year. I ended up going with the paralegal thing and it turned out to be a huge f*ckign mistake from hell. Now I want to do the network admin thing, but it doesn't start again until September, which sucks.

My question is, can I get an entry-level job, such as a help desk job, if I study on my own and obtain the certs on my own? If so, can anybody suggest training materials to use, as well as what certs I should aim for?

Any info would be appreciated...

For a help desk job you'll need CompTIA's A+ certs and maybe Net+ depending on the employer. I don't really know of a good training materials but I used the pointless books that my college required which supposedly "prepared" us for the exams. I attempted the 1st part of the A+ twice!! and failed both times!! I also attempted the Net+ and failed miserably as the so called "preparation" class only covered about half of the material.

The exams are mostly scenario based questions...they give you a certain scenario and you have to figure out what the best option a technician can do...there is VERY LITTLE theory-based questions.

Hope that helps a little...good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

globcos in Zurish, Switzerland

73 months ago

Hey buddy Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.