WHAT DOES IT MEAN

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (48)

Rose in Louisville, Kentucky

84 months ago

CS in Los Angeles, California said: WHAT DOES IT MEAN BY R.N TO B.S.N?
WHAT IS B.S.N?

BSN is a nurse who has a Bachelors Degree in Nursing. Actually a Bachelors Of Science in Nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Call me Charlie in Louisville, Kentucky

84 months ago

The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) is a four year degree. A registered nurse (RN), only requires a two year associates degree. A Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) requires only a High School education.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Canton, Ohio

84 months ago

Anonymous in Massillon, Ohio said: You are incorrect.

The BSN is a 4 yr degree from a college or university. You can obtain an RN designation by attending a 4 years diploma program from an an accredited hospital School of Nursing, if still available in your state, or an "Associate RN" program which is a 2 year college degree. An LPN license is usually a one year diploma program from an accredited hospital School of Nursing. To become an LPN, you must take your state's licensing exam, just like the BSN, RN (diploma) or Associate RN programs. You CANNOT become an LPN with just a high school education. You are confusing that with an STNA (state tested nursing assistant or nurse aid).

Please get your facts correct before commenting.

...one additional fact, STNA recquires passage of state testing, 50? written and 5 randomly selected skills some of which can be tricky. If you do not pass in three attempts you must re-take the mandatory training [2 weeks]. You will be a nurse aid after passing the 2 week training but not an STNA. The pay is low, the hours stink since you're needed on a 24/7 basis, turnover is very high, appreciation almost nonexistant,injury rate at the top according to OSHA,benefits rare,what's not to like??? I work agency [when,where,&if I want] I enjoy the challenge & avoid facility politics plus a lot of times work for only a couple bucks less than the LPNs. Jim

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nikki in Redlands, California

83 months ago

What do you mean you cant just be an LVN with a high school diploma? Myself im in the LVN program and ive only gotton a high school diploma no college corses at all. Now, to be an RN you would have to do the 30/30 program or get your BSN (pre recs, college classes). With the 30/30 program theres no award granted though which means you can only be an RN in the state of California. If you want to travel outside of California you must get your BSN first then complete you RN program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Canton, Ohio

83 months ago

Nikki, every state, just as every training program, has different systems used for grading/licensure. There are "schools"in Ohio that will take your money for training to be an LPN/LVN [same thing] but they are not recognized by the state and you won't be allowed to sit for state boards. There are LPN programs that are less than 1 year but they are intense to say the least. A BSN is a Bachelor of Science in Nursing [4 year college normally] as was stated previously but most states have 'fast track' programs that recognize experience as an RN. Check the state rules, be sure the program is accredited and I wish you the best of luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

D in Dayton, Ohio

83 months ago

Wow. I bet you are a know-it-all kind of person, aren't you? You are very fast to recognize and call out someone's mistake, instead of being a little more kind and simply saying, "I believe you have been mis-informed..." Nurses are kind and caring people. Your response was not kind or caring. You belong in corporate America.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Canton, Ohio

83 months ago

D in Dayton, Ohio said: Wow. I bet you are a know-it-all kind of person, aren't you? You are very fast to recognize and call out someone's mistake, instead of being a little more kind and simply saying, "I believe you have been mis-informed..." Nurses are kind and caring people. Your response was not kind or caring. You belong in corporate America.

I apologize, I must be mistaken, Jim

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nikki in Redlands, California

83 months ago

My school is accrideted i made sure cause i would probably lose it if i did those hours and no award haha, but yes it is accredited and that is a very important thing to check. If its not you pretty much got a certificate to move on to a higher course in the nursing field, but why not get your LVN and work on your RN while you make money? But Jims right, for sure check to see if your school is accredited. Some schools you may need pre recs for LVN but were i go you dont... just check guys.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Canton, Ohio

83 months ago

good morning nikki, no problem, i can and do make myself look stupid consistantly...hope all is good in your life and i enjoy our thought exchange. Jim

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

farah in Hayward, California

83 months ago

do u guys think LVN prgrams in private schools worth it ? $ 20,000 in 14 mts?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

angie in Indianapolis, Indiana

82 months ago

can you help me out--what is an LVN?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nikki in San Bernardino, California

82 months ago

sure its a Licensed Vacational Nurse via LVN. Some states they call it a Licensed Practitional Nurse via LPN, but its the same. Hope this helps, im not sure if you want to know the scope of there practice but yes, this is what it is.

gjc in Saint Louis, Missouri

82 months ago

Doesn't LVN stand for vocational nurse not vacational nurse?????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

K thanks guys--I knew what you meant Nikki even w the typo.... Have some coffee and let's all try to get along.

Have a great day!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

gjc in Saint Louis, Missouri

82 months ago

Whew, I certainly don't need to be here. It was my first time and just thought as nurses we could be corrected. Many THANKS TO ANGIE WHO IF ALL OF US HAD HER MATURITY WOULD BE A BETTER PLACE TO WORK AND LIVE.

Jim in Canton, Ohio

82 months ago

Hang in there, sounds like you have the right stuff to be a great nurse, it isn't taught but developed through experience I believe and you need the temperment and attitude to hold on. J

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

thanks, i am not a nurse but i call on recruiters to help locate nurses for different healthcare facilities. i was researching the LVN position. am i understanding that it is the same as a LPN? does it depend on the state or the school as far as the title? or is one just more of am old school title and still sticks?

82 months ago

thanks for your input by the way--i appreciate you and nikki taking time to explain this.

terry h in Covington, Kentucky

82 months ago

Hi everyone!! Does anyone know of a weekend nursing program for R.N. in northern KY or Ohio area? I am currently a medical assistant and want to become an RN, my goal is actually to get out of school before it's time to retire, I'm 50 something, working in an outpatient wound care center, and going to Cinti State for Nursing, but the waiting list is so....... long. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!!!

Kory in Los Angeles, California

80 months ago

hi everyone...

can anyone tell me...how do i even go about getting into an L.V.N program??---i am currently in the C.N.A program (hey, baby steps right?!?)--but my ultimate goal is to become..but all this colleges around me...are private and the L.V.N programs go for 46,000---and thats not in my budget....well, any help/advice would be helpful!!! thanks everyone!!

may in Cincinnati, Ohio

80 months ago

Call me Charlie in Louisville, Kentucky said: The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) is a four year degree. A registered nurse (RN), only requires a two year associates degree. A Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) requires only a High School education.

I am an LPN and it does not only require a HS diploma. I know what you meant but I worked very hard 5 days a week for 18 months to become an LPN. So it takes a HS diploma to get into the LPN program and then a lot of hard work to become an LPN. I am now in RN school and it is like a breeze.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

may in Cincinnati, Ohio

80 months ago

D in Dayton, Ohio said: Wow. I bet you are a know-it-all kind of person, aren't you? You are very fast to recognize and call out someone's mistake, instead of being a little more kind and simply saying, "I believe you have been mis-informed..." Nurses are kind and caring people. Your response was not kind or caring. You belong in corporate America.

Have you never heard the term "nurses eat their young".

may in Cincinnati, Ohio

80 months ago

I am also trying to find an RN program that I can afford and fit into my life. I have my LPN and don't want to sit on a wait list for years or take a class a semester for over two years because I have many of my pre requisites done. If anyone knows of an accelerated program or a program without a wait list in the northern KY or OH tristate area please let us know about it.

Coach in Dover, New Hampshire

80 months ago

I'm seeking LPN's/LVN's & Medical Assistants to do Health screenings in Ky. Anyone know of interested medical staff members?

smilingeyes in Denver, Colorado

79 months ago

Are u only looking in Ky? Anywhere else in the states?

79 months ago

Coach in Dover, New Hampshire said: I'm seeking LPN's/LVN's & Medical Assistants to do Health screenings in Ky. Anyone know of interested medical staff members?

Are u only seeking people in KY? any other states?

79 months ago

Absolutely anywhere in USA!

79 months ago

Coach in Dover, New Hampshire said: Absolutely anywhere in USA!

What kind of company? Name? contract work? Just would like to know for myself. I am interested -- tell me more.

Thanks

79 months ago

Please let me know about the company -- It sounds interesting.
Thanks

79 months ago

smilingeyes in Denver, Colorado said: What kind of company? Name? contract work? Just would like to know for myself. I am interested -- tell me more.

Thanks

We do Health screenings and FluShots nationwide for businesses only and we contract local staff to do these events. You may email me direct at wweeks@healthyachievers.com

cheryl

78 months ago

i would like to know has anyone thought about doing nursing online instead of waiting so long and how does it work taking online classes

JDeb in North East, Ohio

78 months ago

Jim in Canton, Ohio said: good morning nikki, no problem, i can and do make myself look stupid consistantly...hope all is good in your life and i enjoy our thought exchange. Jim

I am hoping to start an STNA training class in April in Carrollton Ohio.. what I am wondering is, what is the pay and schedule like for an STNA in my area stark/carroll county? Also, if 400 is a reasonable price for the 2 week course? I know it's not anything glorious but, it's got to beat nothing.

Jim in Canton, Ohio

78 months ago

JDeb in North East, Ohio said: I am hoping to start an STNA training class in April in Carrollton Ohio.. what I am wondering is, what is the pay and schedule like for an STNA in my area stark/carroll county? Also, if 400 is a reasonable price for the 2 week course? I know it's not anything glorious but, it's got to beat nothing.

Hi JDeb, $400 is a very good price, I've worked the LTC on Longhorn in Carrollton many times but never knew them to offer the training. Regardless, find out how much they will pay you after certification, if and for how long you are obligated to them, and find out what other costs are covered,
Hep-B, Mantua, criminal background check, etc. Peace, Jim

fati in Grand Rapids, Michigan

78 months ago

hi,I'm looking for aplace that I can study stna in grand rapids,Michigan

Beverly in Dayton, Ohio

76 months ago

I have partly completed an ADN program.
Can I take the LPN test in Ohio?
I only need 27 total credits to get my ADN.
These are all clinical credits.
Can I take the LPN test in OHIO NOW?
Bev

Ms Criminal Justice in Canton, Ohio

72 months ago

Congrats on how far you have come continue keepin on.

tatiana in Miami, Florida

72 months ago

Sorry but yes you can become an LPN After your Highschool diploma Cause im proof of that...It's probly in ur state that you can't but in miami you can...

milika in Chicago, Illinois

72 months ago

tatiana in Miami, Florida said: Sorry but yes you can become an LPN After your Highschool diploma Cause im proof of that...It's probly in ur state that you can't but in miami you can...

I agree in chicago the chicago public school have a LPN program for high school
seniors and I Think thats great!

teresa in Woodstock, Illinois

70 months ago

hey i live in longbeach ca......not illinois....anyway i just started the lvn program at advance college in paramount ca.....has anyone out their know any one who went to advance college

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

alicia estrada in Vista, California

66 months ago

Rose in Louisville, Kentucky said: BSN is a nurse who has a Bachelors Degree in Nursing. Actually a Bachelors Of Science in Nursing.

Hi, i am a 13 year old girl who is interested in becoming a medical assisstant. It would be a helpful experience if you could answer some questions for me. What is the average salary for a medical assisstant in San Diego? What is the best part of becoming a medical assisstant? What are the qualifications to become one? This is my teachers email adress.

alicia estrada in Vista, California

66 months ago

Hi, I am a 13 year old student who is interested in becoming a medical assisstant. It would be an honor if you can answer some questions for me. What are the qualifications to become a medical assisstant? What is the average salary? What does it take to become one? This is my teavhers email address.

cooper in Staten Island, New York

65 months ago

are you still looking?

neesha in Houston, Texas

58 months ago

currently taking the GEd. I graduated high school in 88,but transcripts will take about 6 months to get here from my country. My goal is to become an RN, however, I am not able to study for 4 yrs. I have decided to become an LVN and work my way to an RN. Penny for any thoughts, is this a step in right direction.

Shay in San Antonio, Texas

51 months ago

Hello, I have been considering doing the LVN program. I know nothing abouit nursing, except that it can be a demanding yet a rewarding field from what I hear. I'd like to know what is the difference between and LVN and a CNA, and what is the difference between and LVN and RN? There is this local college here called Career Point College that offers LVN programs. What I'm afraid of doing, is spending thousands of dollars only to take these classes and not be able to continue my training at a University. Any help thatt any of you nurses or anyone can tell me I would appreciate it. What does it mean to be accredited? When I go to register and look at nursing schools, what questions should I ask? Please inform, thanks!

Shanae in Humble, Texas

51 months ago

Shay in San Antonio, Texas said: Hello, I have been considering doing the LVN program. I know nothing abouit nursing, except that it can be a demanding yet a rewarding field from what I hear. I'd like to know what is the difference between and LVN and a CNA, and what is the difference between and LVN and RN? There is this local college here called Career Point College that offers LVN programs. What I'm afraid of doing, is spending thousands of dollars only to take these classes and not be able to continue my training at a University. Any help thatt any of you nurses or anyone can tell me I would appreciate it. What does it mean to be accredited? When I go to register and look at nursing schools, what questions should I ask? Please inform, thanks!

The school has to be approved by the Texas state board of Nursing in order for you to take the nclex.They have LVN-BSN as well as ADN-BSN,also Lvn -ADN.All community colleges are accredited that have LVN and RN programs in Texas.Most of them have websites with Nursing information sessions online,like Lonestar college Tomball.Also I dont want to say the wrong definition of the different types of Nurses but I would like to advice you to go on the different college websites most define the different types of Nurses duties.

Shanae in Humble, Texas

51 months ago

Oh please forgive me you are in San antonio and I'm in Humble near Houston,but the information for a school in any area is on their website.Most schools usually have brochures at the school and online as well.

Shay in San Antonio, Texas

51 months ago

Thank you Shanae.

bj in New York, New York

51 months ago

Shay in San Antonio, Texas said: Thank you Shanae.

Hey Shay!!! I'm in San Antonio as well. I am trying to get some classes out of the way in order to apply for an LVN program as well. I would not recommend going to Career Point, I have heard both good and bad things about that school. However, I have also attended a "trade school" and it was the biggest, must expensive mistake I have ever made. Credits are unlikely to transfer.

I recommend checking out St Phillips LVN program. Or if you decide not to pursue a program at a community college, try Baptist. They are much more expensive than St Phillips, but overall the training will be much better than Career Point!!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.