Has Anyone Attended Gurnick Academy in Fresno, CA?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (30)

amal_559 in Fresno, California

62 months ago

I'm thinking of going to Gurnick Acendemy for the LVN Program, and would love to hear thoughts from anyone who's attended. From what I hear, it seems to be quite expensive ($29,000+), but fast paced and no waiting list. Any current/future students please let me know the up's and down's of going to Gurnick vs attending Fresno/Clovis Adult School. Thanks. :)

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

nurse559 in Fresno, California

62 months ago

I went to Gurnick and I would suggest looking at other schools, touring each campus and meeting some of the staff beofre spending your $30,000. Gurnick might have the potential to be a good school but are still going through growing pains. Ask each school about their clinical rotataions and verify that they have an active site for each course you are required to have or if they have you spend those clinical hours in their skills lab. There is also a program at the Madera Center out in the Ranchos you might want to check into also.

Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Thanks for the reply! I don't have the option of attending school outside of Fresno, but I am looking into other options besides the Adult Schools here and Fresno City/State (never liked big colleges, plus not sure, but I heard there's a waiting list?) I narrowed it down to Gurnick and National University, so I would realllllllly like to know more about Gurnick if you dont mind :) Did you not like the way the program was run? Are the staff helpful in helping you find a job after graduating? Did you feel like you had a good amount of clinical sites to go to? The only reason I'm looking into Gurnick is because its fast paced, but I want to make sure its a school that will help me get a job after I graduate and give me as much experience during clinical rotations so that I can get to know people in the healthcare field and put my name out there for job employment before I drop $30 Grand. Please reply, any input is appreciated :)

Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

If I had it to do over I would have looked into other schools, and went somewhere else. There was a revolving door as far as the staff went. The clinical sites that we had were a couple of nursing homes and on more than one occasion we weren't allowed to participate in any of the nursing tasks. We didn't have a pediatirc or maternity rotation, we spent those hours in Gurnicks skills lab (we watched a mannequin give birth once) As far as job placement they sent emails of the same sites you can find yourself on websites like indeed. The anatomy and physiology that they offer does not count towards any other schooling and if you choose to move on in your education you would have to retake those classes.

Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Nurse 559 in Fresno, California said: If I had it to do over I would have looked into other schools, and went somewhere else. There was a revolving door as far as the staff went. The clinical sites that we had were a couple of nursing homes and on more than one occasion we weren't allowed to participate in any of the nursing tasks. We didn't have a pediatirc or maternity rotation, we spent those hours in Gurnicks skills lab (we watched a mannequin give birth once) As far as job placement they sent emails of the same sites you can find yourself on websites like indeed. The anatomy and physiology that they offer does not count towards any other schooling and if you choose to move on in your education you would have to retake those classes.

Hey Nurse 559,
Oh Wow, thats what I first said after reading your post and I laughed when you wrote "we watched a mannequin give birth once" because I did get to tour the school and I saw the "moma mannequin with her baby" your probably referring to, lol. And it's a B**** to get someone to actually answer the phone no matter what time of day I would call which was Weird to me. Dang, If I'm spending that much money I would at least want someone to answer the phone. I'm shocked that was your clinical site experience... can't believe I was gonna drop $30 Grand their,oh man, you don't know how much I appreciate your response :) THANK YOU SO MUCH. So are you still there or a recent graduate? Either way, I wish you the best. I think I'll have to look into clovis adult school which will probably take twice as long :( Hope it doesn't take forever...

Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

It may take you twice as long but it will be a million times better education and oh so worth it!! I have graduated and am glad to be! you are oh so welcome I only wish I had done more research and someone speak to me honestly about it. Best of luck to you at Clovis Adult! Being a nurse is AWESOME you will love it! And yes the momma mannequin is one and the same!!

Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Nurse 559 in Fresno, California said: It may take you twice as long but it will be a million times better education and oh so worth it!! I have graduated and am glad to be! you are oh so welcome I only wish I had done more research and someone speak to me honestly about it. Best of luck to you at Clovis Adult! Being a nurse is AWESOME you will love it! And yes the momma mannequin is one and the same!!

Nurse 559,
I heard it's brutal in Fresno getting a job as an LVN (especially for new grads w/ no experience) and the pay is bad (which I didn't expect to hear.) I'm not sure if I'm just getting the wrong info or if its true. Did you have any luck after graduating finding work quick? If so, what type of facility did you find employment in? And sorry to ask such a personal question about the pay, but just wondering if you can tell me what a typical starting grad w/ no experience makes. I would really appreciate it :) Thanks Again.

Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Brutal to say the least, experience is HUGE, some places are asking for 3 yrs to even be considered. the majority of my fellow graduates only found work as a LVN at the place they were already working as a CNA or a personal contact. Not help from Gurnick. The VA has good pay some of the schools have good pay not sure about the nursing homes

Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Nurse 559 in Fresno, California said: Brutal to say the least, experience is HUGE, some places are asking for 3 yrs to even be considered. the majority of my fellow graduates only found work as a LVN at the place they were already working as a CNA or a personal contact. Not help from Gurnick. The VA has good pay some of the schools have good pay not sure about the nursing homes

Nurse559,
I know you said earlier that you only wished someone spoke honestly to you about the whole LVN process you had to go through (mama mannequin and all.. lol), so I really appreciate your honest opinion. What you have shared with me has saved me BIGGGG TIME from attending a college that wasn't worth my time or hard earned money(trust me, I was moments away from signing on the dotted line with Gurnick)and because of your input/experience I have chosen a different route. Thank you so much for that, and I wish you all the best in you career. I believe "What you give, you receive." What most people fail to notice is that there is no set time on when you will receive what you give: It may be days, weeks, months and even years before you receive what you give, so never give up what you are trying to succeed at. God is Good. I pray that you will be rewarded for what you have helped me with. And from me to you, Salam Alaikum :)

Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Thank you. I'm glad to have shared with you, I wish you all the best in your nursing career.

Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Fresno, California

21 months ago

Has anyone tried their Ultrasound program? I really want to go to it, but need some feedback from someone who went through their program.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Robyn04 in fresno, California

19 months ago

Susan in Fresno, California said: Has anyone tried their Ultrasound program? I really want to go to it, but need some feedback from someone who went through their program.

I am really interested in their ultrasound program as well!

Reply - Report abuse

SheilaNCruz in Fresno, California

18 months ago

Susan in Fresno, California said: Has anyone tried their Ultrasound program? I really want to go to it, but need some feedback from someone who went through their program.

Did you end up finding out? I've also been looking into it for a while now!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Robyn04 in fresno, California

18 months ago

SheilaNCruz in Fresno, California said: Did you end up finding out? I've also been looking into it for a while now!

No! :( haven't found out anything

Reply - Report abuse

sheilancruz in San Leandro, California

18 months ago

Robyn04 in fresno, California said: No! :( haven't found out anything

:( I wish there were more people who talked about their experiences at this school.

Reply - Report abuse

khobsonlmt in FRESNO, California

15 months ago

I just came on board at the Fresno campus of Gurnick Academy. I would welcome anyone seeking more information about the school and its programs to call us and inquire. What was true 4 years ago has changed a good deal as the campus has matured. We have VN, MA and Ultrasound programs with new starts coming up this Fall and on into 2017 with seats available. We will also have a new VN to ADN program beginning in 2017. Don't hesitate to call and ask or to attend an information session--we are here to help you reach your career goals.

Reply - Report abuse

khobsonlmt in FRESNO, California

15 months ago

I just came on board as campus director in Fresno. This program is still new for the Fresno campus so we have not yet graduated a class in this program. I welcome you to come in and find out more about the school and the Ultrasound program. Meet our instructors and talk to them, and drop by and say hello if you do come visit the campus!

Reply - Report abuse

kingsgirl559 in Fresno, California

11 months ago

I have been reading majority of the comments on Gurnick school, and just want to say Education is what you make it, nobody is responsible for lack of knowledge but, ourselves. I have experienced both poor and great instructors at some colleges. But, I took it upon myself to educate myself and gain the head knowledge I needed. To some instructors, we are just a paycheck to them. And to other instructors we are more than that, Our outlook and attitudes determines how far we can go, Not the schools or others comments about the place we choose to get us there. With that being said, I got a job, with the State of California immediately out of school. I HAD NO experience. Every 6 months of college was worth 1 year of experience. So, maybe anyone who is willing to come out of the private sector, May want to work in a Government healthcare with inmates needing quality care. Plus there are grants and scholarships out here that will pay up to 10,000 a year for you. To commit to working in a underserved communities. AND guess what? The CDCR is one of them, with great, retirement, holidays, and vacation packages. Go for it..I know I am..be blessed and if I can do it any one can also..

Reply - Report abuse

kingsgirl559 in Fresno, California

11 months ago

Check the CDCR..website..under careers..Great opportunity

Reply - Report abuse

Athykay143 in Clovis, California

11 months ago

I'm planning on becoming an LVN too but I heard that you have to become a CNA first before you can become a LVN? Which school do you guys prefer? I don't want to go to a private school too the fact that it costs too much. I was thinking about between a LVN and a RN but, heard that RN is pretty hard and long to get into the program if you go to Fresno City? The fact that its base on your GPA to get into the program first.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Kitty in Pasadena, California

9 months ago

Athykay143 in Clovis, California said: I'm planning on becoming an LVN too but I heard that you have to become a CNA first before you can become a LVN? Which school do you guys prefer? I don't want to go to a private school too the fact that it costs too much. I was thinking about between a LVN and a RN but, heard that RN is pretty hard and long to get into the program if you go to Fresno City ? The fact that its base on your GPA to get into the program first.

Im a colon therapist and this field has a shortage of therapists. The demand for people getting colonics exceeds the number of therapists. I know of a 100 hour training course in orange county, that is not expensive -- no where near the price of training for medical related fields. This is a holistic practice, and usually pays around $25-$40 an hour. Id be happy to share the info with you. You can email me or reply to this message.

Reply - Report abuse

Karla in Turlock, California

9 months ago

Kitty in Pasadena, California said: Im a colon therapist and this field has a shortage of therapists. The demand for people getting colonics exceeds the number of therapists. I know of a 100 hour training course in orange county, that is not expensive -- no where near the price of training for medical related fields. This is a holistic practice, and usually pays around $25-$40 an hour. Id be happy to share the info with you. You can email me or reply to this message.

I would like more info. Where is that course available?

Reply - Report abuse

ozzie in Fresno, California

6 months ago

I am thinking about joining the Ultrasound in AS program in July at Gurkick Academy here in Fresno, CA and have an upcoming meeting with the board to get accepted. I was just wondering if anyone could give me any feedback on the school's curriculum and how I should prepare to meet with the board. Thanks in advance

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

BB in Fresno, California

5 months ago

ozzie in Fresno, California said: I am thinking about joining the Ultrasound in AS program in July at Gurkick Academy here in Fresno, CA and have an upcoming meeting with the board to get accepted. I was just wondering if anyone could give me any feedback on the school's curriculum and how I should prepare to meet with the board. Thanks in advance

Ozzie-
Hopefulky it went well for you! I just had my panel interview a couple weeks ago and was accepted. Honestly I'm not sure what they were looking for but I was just myself. I had prepared myself for some intense questions but ended up not being asked one of them, so when I left I wasn't sure whether to be relieved or worried. I think they just want to figure out if you're willing to put in hard work since it's a pretty intense program. They also stressed that working throughout the program is nearly impossible if you want to succeed.

Did you/do you have any reservations about the program? I'm worried about Gurnick not being accredited through CAAHEP.

Reply - Report abuse

naunnie in Reedley, California

5 months ago

Hi. Can you offer more information on your panel interview? What type of questions did they ask? Also, did you shadow an ultrasound tech before your interview? Any information you could provide would be extremely helpful! I'm applying for the January program.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Kat D. in Sacramento, California

3 months ago

BB in Fresno, California said: Ozzie-
Hopefulky it went well for you! I just had my panel interview a couple weeks ago and was accepted. Honestly I'm not sure what they were looking for but I was just myself. I had prepared myself for some intense questions but ended up not being asked one of them, so when I left I wasn't sure whether to be relieved or worried. I think they just want to figure out if you're willing to put in hard work since it's a pretty intense program. They also stressed that working throughout the program is nearly impossible if you want to succeed.

Did you/do you have any reservations about the program? I'm worried about Gurnick not being accredited through CAAHEP.

I just got done taking the els for the radiology program. Im a nervous person by nature, and just thinking about the things that have to be done now are stressing me out! A little words of wisdom and/or advice when it comes to the cover letter, or essay, and the meeting with the panel would be greatly appreciated!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Kimbo_87 in Fresno, California

25 days ago

Hi, I was very interested reading all of your comments, awesome feedback by the way. As for myself, I moved to Fresno about 5 years ago and the first year I decided to go back to school I chose to go with UEI College (before they had moved to their new location at Manchester). I went for my Diploma in Medical Assisting. It was an 8 month course and although it was a small startup school, I thrived and gained all the skills necessary to be a great MA. AfterI graduated as the student ambassador for my class, I worked 2 jobs as an MA neither lasted. It was tough getting turned down job after job due to the lack of experience, especially when I knew I had what it took if given the chance. Try to allow yourself to have to have an open-mind and to make that choice on your own; as to which school to attend and what is the best learning environment for you to thrive? I currently go to Fresno City/ Clovis Community and I feel like I'm wasting my time with these pre-reqs, so I just recently decided to give Gurnick a shot in their Ultrasound Program. I attended a orientation once before when they first opened and I was like Heck No! It seemed like another UEI College nightmare all over again so I chose to go with FCC.I recently learned that Gurnick is Opening their 2nd campus in Fresno and seem like they will be much more established, So my advise to you is go with where your heart tells you. Only you can make the best of your future. Good Luck and God Bless__sorry so long and intense but hope it helps LOL:)

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Kimbo_87 in Fresno, California

25 days ago

Oh I almost forgot to mention, I recently got hired for a new MA job in a virtual clinic!!!! Patience definitely paid off, but my heart is where the best job security and high demand is in the medical field here in the
Valley, let alone California, which is Radiology!!!!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

sunshine5 in Modesto, California

10 days ago

I am very interested in the Ultrasound program in Fresno. I would appreciate any honest feedback about the course & teaching. Is there externship or clinical hours offered? Do the instructors teach well? I will be coming from Modesto. I will be having to pay for this by myself & want to make sure I do not waste my time & money. I do not have time to be put on wait list at a college. What is the requirements to get accepted in this program & what are the costs? Thank you for any valuable information that I can get.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

BB in Kailua, Hawaii

9 days ago

Cont'd (see previous post)

This 12 month hiatus before you can sit for the AARDMS does NOT include the last 6 months of schooling (your externship). This information was found in the fine print off the AARDMS website, thanks to my current employer who is a lawyer and didn't want me to get into something I would regret later on.

So, with this info, assess whether you are willing to pay a very steep program cost for a school that lacks the essential accreditation for your field. I was extremely disappointed as UT has been something I've wanted to do since being in my teens, but it is what it is. Hopefully this info was helpful to you! Sorry for the book.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.